Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 NFL Draft: Post your big board for the Colts!

The title says it all... here's a thread for people to post their big boards for the Colts specifically with whatever criteria you want to adhere to. It can be strictly BPA or it might include positional value and need considerations. In essence, I want to see the players ordered by who you would like to see the Colts draft the most. I will be posting a list of about my top 35-40 players later so I would be able to say who my preferred pick was for all of our second round picks.

1. James

2. Nelson 

3. Chubb

4. Smith

5. Barkley

6. Edmunds

7. Ward

8. Fitzpatrick 

9. Landry

10. LVE

11. McGlinchey

12. Bryan

13. Hurst

1. Oliver

2. Hernandez

3. Evans 

4. Kirk

5. Guice

6. Miller

7. Wynn

8. Jackson

9. Sutton

10. Jefferson

11. Jones II

12. Michel

Done off the top of my head. 1st list is for R1. 2nd is for R2

• Thanks 1

Round1 (Colts Stay at #6)

A. Chubb DE

B. Barkley RB

C. Nelson G

D. Smith LB

E. Fitzpatrick CB

Round 2 (Any 3 of these w/o being redundant positions...unless O-Line)

A. Miller OT

B. Sutton WR

C. O.Neil OT

D. Guice RB

E. Hernandez G

F. Harrison S

G. Washington WR

H. Hand DT

I. Smith G

J. Moore WR

K. Oliver CB

L. Jones II RB

M. Nwosu OLB

N. Okoronkwo DE

Not to be a Debbie Downer, buy you mean lists.  Teams have Big Boards, and it costs them millions $$ and all year to make.  We don't have big boards, we have lists, Colts lists, and top players lists.  Even Pat Kirwan says his are 'lists' too. And with the Jets, he used to be part of making their Big Board.  He knows.

Teams use all of their scouts, and the coaches/GM in off season to value grade as many as 300-350 players.  Then some players get removed for scheme fit, medical red flags, personality, character, or intense substance red flags.Interviews etc...  and they include other teams on the board, and the projected picks, and real picks. ETC...

I've heard some teams only have as low as 75-90 guys on their true draft big board after all the eliminations, and mant 'on the side' in case of a miraculous slip.

I can only go to about 6 players right now.  The rest I would select as team need meets player availability.

My top 6 would be:

1) Chubb

2) Nelson

3) Smith

4) Edmunds

5) James

6) Fitzpatrick

I'll throw Barkley in there just because I think he might be a generational talent, but I'm generally not high on taking a RB for THIS team this high.  I could look the other way for this guy only though.

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer, buy you mean lists.  Teams have Big Boards, and it costs them millions $$ and all year to make.  We don't have big boards, we have lists, Colts lists, and top players lists.  Even Pat Kirwan says his are 'lists' too. And with the Jets, he used to be part of making their Big Board.  He knows.

Teams use all of their scouts, and the coaches/GM in off season to value grade as many as 300-350 players.  Then some players get removed for scheme fit, medical red flags, personality, character, or intense substance red flags.Interviews etc...  and they include other teams on the board, and the projected picks, and real picks. ETC...

I've heard some teams only have as low as 75-90 guys on their true draft big board after all the eliminations, and mant 'on the side' in case of a miraculous slip.

Eh... call it whatever you wish. My point was to be clear and I assumed 'big board' is clear enough and wide-spread enough to convey the meaning of what this thread is about. I have no illusions that what we are doing is on a level with what NFL teams do. We obviously are just fans and most of our boards/lists will be much less refined, much less researched and informed... but then again... I have no illusions - we are fans on a fan board posting for fun. I don't think anyone here takes himself/herself as seriously as to think their board is the be all and in any shape or form comparable to what teams do. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, stitches said:

The title says it all... here's a thread for people to post their big boards for the Colts specifically with whatever criteria you want to adhere to. It can be strictly BPA or it might include positional value and need considerations. In essence, I want to see the players ordered by who you would like to see the Colts draft the most. I will be posting a list of about my top 35-40 players later so I would be able to say who my preferred pick was for all of our second round picks.

I have a spreadsheet I do every draft season.  I couldn't attach an Excel sheet for some reason so I put screenshots of it. It's just my opinion and the prospects are compared to their own class and nothing else. Also it doesn't have a particular order of players just tiers on which I have determined their approximate value.  

It's not much and I'm no draft expert I just watch what I can to form an opinion no matter how ill advised my opinion is lol...

Big Board.pngBig Board 2.pngBig Board 3.png

Edited by Surge89
Pictures were blurry. Changed for clarity.
  • Like 3

I like the spreadsheet idea.

I think one with a horizontal list of players (by grade, BPA) is a start,  Then a vertical list of players by position.  Then scratch off those that don't fit our new schemes.  Red flag those with medical issues, or character problems surface. (means will likely be bypassed for another player close in grade, especially if other player is at a position of need) is the kind of 'mock board I would try.  But without in depth info, I think our lists are just as accurate considering.  Teams that pass on a Rueben Foster or Randy Gregory etc...  do it for a reason, and all too often proves out.

3 hours ago, Surge89 said:

I have a spreadsheet I do every draft season.  I couldn't attach an Excel sheet for some reason so I put screenshots of it. It's just my opinion and the prospects are compared to their own class and nothing else. Also it doesn't have a particular order of players just tiers on which I have determined their approximate value.  

It's not much and I'm no draft expert I just watch what I can to form an opinion no matter how ill advised my opinion is lol...

Big Board.pngBig Board 2.pngBig Board 3.png

For some reason the pictures are super small and I can't really read your board. 

Here's my tentative and somewhat fluid top 55 for the Colts. It's a loose list of my preferences rather than a list based on numerical assessment or grading of some sort so take with a pinch of salt. I include positional value into the consideration so that's why Saquon is no. 10/11:

General ranking Positional ranking Name Position School Round
1 1 Bradley Chubb EDGE NC State 1
2 1 Quenton Nelson OG/OC Notre Dame 1
3 1 Minkah Fitzpatrick CB* Alabama 1
4 1 Tremaine Edmunds LB Virginia Tech 1
5 2 Roquan Smith LB Georgia 1
6 1 Derwin James S FSU 1
7 2 Harold Landry EDGE Boston college 1
8 2 Minkah Fitzpatrick S Alabama 1
8 1 Maurice Hurst DT Michigan 1
9 1 Connor Williams OT* Texas 1
10 1 Josh Jackson CB Iowa 1
11 1 Saquon Barkley RB Penn State 1
12 2 Denzel Ward CB Ohio State 1
13 3 Rashaan Evans LB Alabama 1
14 4 Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise State 1
15 2 Isaiah Wynn OG/OT Georgia 1
16 3 Jaire Alexander CB Louisville 1
17 2 Vita Vea DT Washington 1
18 3 James Daniels OC/OG Iowa 1
19 4 Isaiah Oliver CB Colorado 1
20 1 DJ Moore WR Maryland 1
21 3 Josh Sweat EDGE FSU 1
22 4 Will Hernandez OG UTEP 1
23 1 Dallas Goedert TE South Dakota St 1
24 2 Mike Gesicki TE Penn State 1
25 2 Derrius Guice RB LSU 2
26 2 Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame 2
27 3 Taven Bryan DT Florida 2
28 4 Marcus Davenport EDGE UTSA 2
29 5 Mike Hughes CB UCF 2
30 3 Sony Michel RB Georgia 2
31 2 Courtland Sutton WR SMU 2
32 6 Holton Hill CB Texas 2
33 3 Anthony Miller WR Memphis 2
34 5 Billy Price OG/OC Ohio State 2
35 3 Jessie Bates III S Wake Forest 2
36 4 Calvin Ridley WR Alabama 2
37 6 Austin Corbett OG Nevada 2
38 5 Darius Leonard LB South Carolina St 2
39 5 Sam Hubbard EDGE Ohio State 2
40 7 Carlton Davis CB Auburn 2
41 6 Fred Warner LB BYU 2
42 7 Frank Ragnow OC/OG Arkansas 2
43 3 Tyrell Crosby OT Oregon 2
44 6 Lorenzo Carter EDGE Georgia 2
45 4 Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama 2
46 7 Ogbonnia Okoronkwo EDGE Oklahoma 2
47 4 Nick Chubb RB Georgia 2
48 5 Ronald Jones RB USC 2
49 5 Rasheem Green DT USC 2
50 4 Justin Reid S Stanford 2
51 5 Antonio Callaway WR Florida 2
52 6 Michael Gallup WR Colorado 2
53 6 Nathan Shepherd DT Fort Hayes State 2
54 5 Ronnie Harrison S Alabama 2
55 3 Hayden Hurst TE South Carolina 2

* the positions noted with a star like Minkah Fitzpatrick at 3 as a CB mean - if we think he can play CB this is where I would rank him, if not look at his other ranking (8 as a safety). 

• Like 3

Stitches, that's about a good a list from an organization standpoint Ive seen in a while.  Sure, I and other could all nit pick the order some, but that's not the point (seeing as most everyone would be wrong).

The fun part is, you can take this list, and cross off names as they come off the board.  Then see who the highest guy on your list is compared to who Ballard takes at each Colt slot.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Stitches, that's about a good a list from an organization standpoint Ive seen in a while.  Sure, I and other could all nit pick the order some, but that's not the point (seeing as most everyone would be wrong).

The fun part is, you can take this list, and cross off names as they come off the board.  Then see who the highest guy on your list is compared to who Ballard takes at each Colt slot.

Yeah, that's fun... last year I had Hooker ranked no. 3 on my board and was ecstatic when he dropped to us. :) Now we have a ton of second rounders so it would be interesting to see how many players we get there that I have as a 1st round value... or if we are going to pass on a 1st round value by my chart for someone not even on my list. The highs and lows of a draft for a fan :) 

• Like 2

On 4/13/2018 at 12:44 PM, stitches said:

For some reason the pictures are super small and I can't really read your board. 

Ok here we go. 

***These are not Rankings and are reflective of talent only not draft  biases that GM's have. 

Tier 1 - 1st Round Elite Prospect Players (Top 5 Material)
Players who are complete products ready to start and be generational in the NFL
Quenton Nelson
Saquon Barkley
Bradley Chubb

Tier 2 - 1st Round Blue Chip Players (Top 15 Material)
Players who are NFL ready.  They will be good starters and perform based on good placement on teams.  
Most development is done with little shortcomings.
Josh Rosen
Sam Darnold
Baker Mayfield
Calvin Ridley
Connor Williams
Derrius Guice
Tremaine Edmunds
Roquan Smith
Minkah Fitzpatrick
Derwin James
Denzel Ward
Vita Vea

Tier 3 - 1st Round Prospects (Top 25 Material)
Players who show high promise but need develeopment.
These players need little work to turn into dependable starters but the good traits they have are extremely high (College Production or Physical Ability)
Isaih Wynn
Will Hernandez
Dallas Goedert
Mike McGlinchey
Josh Allen
Llamar Jackson
Mason Rudolph
Harold Landry
Sam Hubbard
Da'Ron Payne
Harrison Phillips
Taven Bryan
Maurice Hurst
Leighton Vander Esch
Rashann Evans
Joshua Jackson
Mike Hughes

Tier 4 - 1st Round Prospects and Borderline 2nd Round Prospects (Top 35 Material)
Players who have comparable measurables or production but lack just a little too much in areas to solidify a first round pick. 
Billy Price
Tyrell Crosby
Nick Chubb
Courtland Sutton
DJ Moore
Ronnie Harrison
Isaiah Oliver
Arden Key

Tier 5 - 2nd Round Prospects (Top 64 Material)
Players who do not have 1st round production nor 1st round measurable but are fringe players that have enough talent to become NFL starters. 
Players who do have extreme measurables but have detrimental problems that bring them a whole round lower.
Frank Ragnow
Scott Quessenberry
Braden Smith
Brian O'Neill
Kolton Miller
Mark Andrews
Mike Gesicki
Hayden Hurst
Ronald Jones II
Sony Michel
Royce Freeman
Kerryon Johnson
Christian Kirk
James Washington
DJ Chark
Michael Gallup
Dante Pettis
Marcus Davenport
Lorenzo Carter
Josh Sweat
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
Harrison Philliips
Da'Shawn Hand
Uchenna Nwosu
Darius Leonard
Malik Jefferson
Shaquem Griffin
Justin Reid
Kyzir White
Jessie Bates III
Holton Hill
Jaire Alexander
Carlton Davis

Tier 6 - 3rd Round Prospects (Top 96 Material)
Players who have needs in development to create starter quality players.
Mostly role players and potential picks that are heavily meant for future and depth.
Chase Litton
Bradley Bozeman
James Daniels
Chukwuma Okarafor
Orlando Brown
Desmond Harrison
Rashaad Penny
Chris Warren
Deon Cain
Marcell Ateman
DeaeSean Hamilton
Equanimeous St. Brown