Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Pauline: The Colts love Roquan Smith, but want to trade down a few spots to select him

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

2nd, despite my love of Edmunds, I’m also a Smith fan. My issue is that he seems like a WILL in the NFL, and IDK if you draft a WILL that high. But maybe he can play inside.

Jonathan Vilma says Edmunds is more of a SAM, and Smith can be both a WILL and/or MIKE (similar to like I've been saying, let him play WILL on 1st down and run situations, then MIKE in Nickel and Dime sub packages).  He kept gushing about Smiths ability to range sideline to sideline and instincts, etc.  He went in to detail with Pat Kirwan why He loves Smith and why he is a 3 down backer, and the skills both Smith and Edmunds possess.  Sirius XM all access subscribers can call up Moving the Chains radio show from yesterday when it becomes available (on Demand shows) if they want to hear it for themselves.

I don't have to explain who Vilma is,   ... I think ...

• Like 5

20 hours ago, stitches said:

Quoted-

"While Edmunds has a decided size and power advantage, next-level decision makers love Smith’s ability to chew up ground quickly and move sideline to sideline with greater speed. It should be noted that more teams are slotting Edmunds as a strong-side linebacker, while they feel Smith is a multi-scheme linebacker who can play on the inside or outside."

Vilma said the exact same thing on yesterday afternoons Moving the Chbain radio show, NFL Radio as I mention above!  Those that really know responsibilities and skill sets seem to agree with this assessment.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Vilma said the exact same thing on yesterday afternoons Moving the Chbain radio show, NFL Radio as I mention above!  Those that really know responsibilities and skill sets seem to agree with this assessment.

as more time goes one, the more I'm thinking Smith will be the pick if Chubb is off the board unless there's a can't pass deal from a team to move up. And I have noooo problem with that.

• Like 2

If Chubb isn't the pick at #6 then I'd be okay if it was Roquan .  My preference is Edmunds, but I could live with Roquan Smith as well.  I think the team wants to trade back to get him ideally, but I'm sure they know that's probably not a reality as one of those other squads would probably select him between 7 and 12.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Jonathan Vilma says Edmunds is more of a SAM, and Smith can be both a WILL and/or MIKE (similar to like I've been saying, let him play WILL on 1st down and run situations, then MIKE in Nickel and Dime sub packages).  He kept gushing about Smiths ability to range sideline to sideline and instincts, etc.  He went in to detail with Pat Kirwan why He loves Smith and why he is a 3 down backer, and the skills both Smith and Edmunds possess.  

Yeah, I've finally been able to sit down and watch some of Roquan's games (as opposed to just breakdowns) and I'm pretty much sold on him if that's what Ballard decides.

Not that he's perfect but there's a lot to like. The obvious stuff, sideline to sideline speed, instincts, good tackler (although the ball carrier tends to get an extra yard or two after the wrap)...but I also agree that he can play both the Will or the Mike in certain situations. I'm hoping the things he does struggle with, mainly getting off blocks, can be taught to some extent by Eberflus. Some of it probably is his lack of prototypical size/strength, but I think he could also get a lot better at the technical aspect, hand fighting, etc.

I also like Edmunds too though. Just trying to really dig in on Roquan because it seems he could be the Colts guy, unless they're doing a good job of misdirecting.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Jonathan Vilma says Edmunds is more of a SAM, and Smith can be both a WILL and/or MIKE (similar to like I've been saying, let him play WILL on 1st down and run situations, then MIKE in Nickel and Dime sub packages).  He kept gushing about Smiths ability to range sideline to sideline and instincts, etc.  He went in to detail with Pat Kirwan why He loves Smith and why he is a 3 down backer, and the skills both Smith and Edmunds possess.  Sirius XM all access subscribers can call up Moving the Chains radio show from yesterday when it becomes available (on Demand shows) if they want to hear it for themselves.

I don't have to explain who Vilma is,   ... I think ...

Looking at his combine measurements, it seems Wagner measured in at 6’0” 240 lbs. that’s identical to Smith who I read one analyst on CBS Sports call a Wagner clone. Maybe he can play inside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Looking at his combine measurements, it seems Wagner measured in at 6’0” 240 lbs. that’s identical to Smith who I read one analyst on CBS Sports call a Wagner clone. Maybe he can play inside.

When did Smith become 6'0" and 240?

He played the season at 6'1" and 225 then gained 10 pounds st the combine and tested at 235.   That's where I expect him to play.

Im reading many teams see Edmunds as an OLB and NOT a MIKE.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He played the season at 6'1" and 225 then gained 10 pounds st the combine and tested at 235.   That's where I expect him to play.

Its unconfirmed, but Kiper says he ate at Dennys 10 days in a row..........  :)

To me, we have a gaping hole at both WLB and MLB

If it were me, I would pencil in Simon at SSLB. (He MAY be fast enough)

I am like others......  Edmunds to me is a MLB in this defense.  But...... we need a WSLB as well..... and I would be very happy enough to get Smith at 6, (still rather have Edmunds)........ (But I would RATHER have him at 11.... and have an extra 2nd (and maybe more))

I just think he is a fit for the Raiders at 10, and I think the Edmunds will go to Chicago.........  We may need to grab one or the other at 6......

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is true. Several "sources" have said that Smith is the best Linebacker for his versatility as he is the best inside linebacker in this draft but can play the outside very well. 

I think Edmund's is going to be a great player but his hype is all about his potential. He's worth the gamble as I think he is a solid linebacker at the very least with tremendous upside... but Smith is the best sure-bet at linebacker in this draft. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If his official height is 6’1”, then that’s my mistake. But there’s so many different reports out about him. I’ve heard Kiper say he was playing at 240 in college. It doesn’t matter to me. 230 or 240 is a fine playing weight. 220-225 won’t work in the NFL though.

8 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

and I definitely agree with the thought that he can play both the Will or the Mike in certain situations. I'm hoping the things he does struggle with, mainly getting off/fighting through blocks, can be taught to some extent by Eberflus.

My thoughts are, in a 4 - 3, the SAM take son the first lead block in a run play. The MIKE takes on any other second level block leaving the speedy WILL clean to race in and make the tackle.  Vilma mentioned something like that, and that he could plug if they run right at him and other swarm to clean up (which is why team speed is important I am pretty sure). He switches to MIKE on passing downs where no lineman can get to second level to lock him up...

I love it how everyone was annointing Lynch as the next great GM.  Foster was a disaster ready to happen and all the red flags were there.  Last year people were saying it was a great pick to get him  at the end of the 1st.  It was a waste of 1st rounder.  Thomas hasn'

36 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I love it how everyone was annointing Lynch as the next great GM.  Foster was a disaster ready to happen and all the red flags were there.  Last year people were saying it was a great pick to get him  at the end of the 1st.  It was a waste of 1st rounder.  Thomas hasn'

He's a great player and given better leadership and guidance his career path probably would be a lot different than it is today. I don't think SF provided him the structure, boundaries, or guidance he needed to prosper. Maybe with another team it would be different. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SP_21 said:

He's a great player and given better leadership and guidance his career path probably would be a lot different than it is today. I don't think SF provided him the structure, boundaries, or guidance he needed to prosper. Maybe with another team it would be different. 

Maybe... maybe not. Red flags were there and many GM's heeded it.

And now I hear Burfict is suspended the first 4 games.  All of a sudden LB is a premium draft pick now...

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I admit I was one who wanted Foster bad.  To me, the only knock was the personal stuff.  Sorta glad we didn't go that route now.

18 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

If the Colts picked Smith at 6 I might vomit.

Why is that???? I love me some Edmunds but Smith is for sure the best linebacker in the draft right now and can really lead this defense to be a special unit.  There's no way Smith is not a top 10 pick. 

4 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Why is that???? I love me some Edmunds but Smith is for sure the best linebacker in the draft right now and can really lead this defense to be a special unit.  There's no way Smith is not a top 10 pick. 

the key words in this are "right now"

sometimes drafting players is about potential and what they could become.  

14 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

I agree that Edmunds has potential to be better.  But I also understand the rationale of getting the best player to help the team now.  This team needs a defensive leader.  And Roquan is a proven commodity in this department.  So it makes complete sense to take a linebacker who can completely change this defense with the 6th overall pick. 

6 hours ago, krunk said:

I still think we are going to get Chubb if 3 QB go before our pick though. I strongly suspect that will be the case as far as those first couple picks.

I think I agree.  If B. Chubb is there, we go that route.  But I think we take R. Smith over Q. Nelson if Chubb is gone and those two are still on the board.  We'll get our O line, just not a guard at pick 6, though he probably deserves all the accolades and selection.

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

All draft picks have risk. Some risk is higher than others.  There are players at every level and position that had a 'higher ceiling' than another guy, and yet the other guy turned out to be elite, and the higher ceiling guy flamed out.

Peyton Manning was the 'safe' choice. Leaf the guy with the higher ceiling. We all know how that turned out.

There's other guys that had higher ceilings and were taken over more polished candidates, but failed to shows signs of excellence or live up to their projection.  I can think of 2 still in progress on that bad path right now- Paxton Lynch, and T.J. Green. But they still have some chance left for the light switch to 'turn on'.

Not saying Edmunds will bust, but maybe he never reaches the lofty ceiling those built for him.  Who knows. Even the safe picks fail too. Didn't Jags move up to #10 to take Derrick Harvey over other pass rushers about 10 years ago?  Big setback for their franchise that choice was, I think. 

In a perfect world, this is my best case draft scenario:

Colts send #6, #67, #140 to the Bills for #12, #22, #53, #56

12. Smith Georgia LB

22. Sutton SMU WR

36. O'Neil PITT OT

37. Harrison BAMA S

49. Smith Auburn G

53. Hand BAMA DT

56. Jackson LSU CB

104. Brown Virginia DT

178. John Kelly Tennessee RB

221. Trey Quinn SMU WR