Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign CB Acker

Case

5 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Living in KC I've seen quite a few chiefs games the past few years and he gets picked on quite a bit. He plays soft and pensive, does not have good awareness, doesn't make many plays when the ball is in the air.

I'm not sure why Ballard signed him.

Cheap depth.    Ballard has proven to do very well adding young depth to the team for little money.   We are just waiting to see if he can add good quality starters by opening the wallet a little bit.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

Cheap depth.    Ballard has proven to do very well adding young depth to the team for little money.   We are just waiting to see if he can add good quality starters by opening the wallet a little bit.  

I think depth is important, but Acker does not seem, to me, to be quality depth which I think is more important than cheap depth.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think depth is important, but Acker does not seem, to me, to be quality depth which I think is more important than cheap depth.

The Colts have to fill spots.   Acker is good size and fairly young.  

27 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

i'm not worried. I believe we have a great cornerback's coach who if i do remember coached up two pro bowlers in Nick harper and Haden so to be honest if this guy cant thrive under this coach all hope is lost for him.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Living in KC I've seen quite a few chiefs games the past few years and he gets picked on quite a bit. He plays soft and pensive, does not have good awareness, doesn't make many plays when the ball is in the air.

Cause you have to fill a 90 man roster 

Ballard isn't going to spend a dime until he is certain of Lucks future just my 2cents. Be ready for another year of mediocrity. I really think he should have at least got one quality veteran lineman though, I'm done with Irsay if Luck gets hurt do to our Oline play. Maybe no lineman wanted to come here.

• Like 2

Tim Jennings should be enough to prove that coaching/scheme makes a huge difference in what we perceive to be performance.  He was the whipping boy here for years, 'worst CB in the league!'.

Then he went to Chicago and had some great years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, krunk said:

Just bringing in guys to compete is how I see this.

28 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Cause you have to fill a 90 man roster 

That was my point, IMO, there are guys that could be brought in that are better to compete and fill roster spots.

I also know Ballard has a lot more info on him than I do.  I just know that in the games I've seen of him he has been a liability on the field not a help.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gnet550 said:

Did he play special teams any?  Maybe helpful in that regard?

If he played soft in coverage I'd hate to see what he played in special teams. Maybe he has some potential in a zone defense....he could have been playing a scheme that just wasn't a fit. We will have a lot of guys signed that are questionable....lots of cuts will be made....either he gets better or he doesn't...I'm not looking at anyone getting signed right now to be seen as a starter.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TouchdownMonkey said:

Ballard isn't going to spend a dime until he is certain of Lucks future just my 2cents. Be ready for another year of mediocrity. I really think he should have at least got one quality veteran lineman though, I'm done with Irsay if Luck gets hurt do to our Oline play. Maybe no lineman wanted to come here.

That doesn't make a lot of sense.  One, Slauson is a quality veteran lineman, he's a guy that has started every game he's played since his 2nd season.

Two, if he is unsure of Luck's health wouldn't it make more sense to build up the rest of the team, especially the D?  

I like it

We are light on depth.........

he can fill in,and even start in a pinch.........

With all the CBs that we have spoken to, you would almost think that we would draft one in 2-4th rounds. 

There are 3-4 that seem to have the right fit, that would be available in round 2

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I like it

We are light on depth.........

he can fill in,and even start in a pinch.........

With all the CBs that we have spoken to, you would almost think that we would draft one in 2-4th rounds. 

There are 3-4 that seem to have the right fit, that would be available in round 2

or get a corner at # 6. Denzel Ward? Minkah Fitzpatrick?

17 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

At pick 6, I personally wouldnt want a CB, unless we were fully stocked and needed just one player to get us where we need to win SB

If we were running a defense that had a need to cover man-to-man, all over the field, Ward would be perfect.

he is the ultimate cover corner, He has blazing speed, and can park on a receiver, and can mirror a WR cuts, like no one else in this draft.

They normally help on run support, but will typically keep thier eye solely on the WR that they are covering.

Usually these type of players go very early in the draft. They are usually very expensive to keep, as well. (BIG contracts) 

A good example of this is Dion Sanders.

The new defense, that the Colts will play will have CBs that have zone duty.   They get to keep the action in front of them. In this defense, the long routes get handed off to the Free safety. Its a differnt talent than a pure cover guy.

There are alot of CBs that might be a step slower, and would get in trouble in man to man with a but can still play the 

cver 2 CB spot

As they have underneath coverage, they will also have to be more active in run support.  This usually means that they will have to take on a charging 220lb RB more often than a cover CB........  a 5' 9" 185lb 4.4 guy, may get beat up too much. A 4.56 guy that is 6ft 205 is a little better suited

I would like Fitzpatrick as a S, more than CB   

we have some great choices in the 2nd round for CB IMHO

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Look at it this way

He is better player than any of us

Lol....wow...that's inspiring lol. I sure hope so! I was playing some church ball the other day and realized my lateral movement is now shot! Playing with guys half my age just made me feel old instead of feeling good about the exercise lol. I've officially turned into the corner 3 guy....when my shot fails I will have to give everything up.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Tim Jennings should be enough to prove that coaching/scheme makes a huge difference in what we perceive to be performance.  He was the whipping boy here for years, 'worst CB in the league!'.

Then he went to Chicago and had some great years.

Tim was too short to play CB in the NFL. I heard that the whole time he was here, found better coaching and he got taller lol

57 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

I think with the system change we aren't going to be investing a ton in corners. Those man teams will value the corners more...we will want physical aggressive guys that can tackle and help in run support...but those shut down guys...not really necessary now. Up the middle will be a bigger focus...and of course the ER.

2 hours ago, TouchdownMonkey said:

Slausen was a immediate upgrade over anyone we already had not named Castonzo, Kelly or Mewhort, so I’m not too sure what you’re on about there. Another decent oline pick in the draft and I feel like we’ve vastly improved over anything Luck has fully had at any point so far. Also, I’m fairly certain Ballard and Luck are both sure of Luck’s future, otherwise we wouldn’t have traded down and picked up more 2nd round picks, nor would we be discussing trading down again.