Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

UKColt's Mock Draft 3.0

I published one of these last week and it got mixed reviews at best haha. I had the week off work and I wanted to see if I could rethink and fill the holes I missed. Let me know what you think.

#1 - CLE - Sam Darnold - QB - USC - There is talk of the Browns liking Josh Allen, which would be the biggest 'Browns-style' move ever. 4 QBs up for choice here and you take the least polished one. Right. I'm going to stick with Darnold here.

#2 - TRADE UP - BUF - Baker Mayfield - QB - Oklahoma - Buffalo trade up to ensure they get the QB of their choice. Mayfield is an ultra-competitive QB with an edge to his game. The prospect of a slightly less mobile Johnny Manziel-type player without the addiction issues is a tantalising one. They have the pick capital to trade up and run away with their QB.

#3 - NYJ - Josh Rosen - QB - UCLA - The Jets traded up for nothing else but their QB of the future. Rosen comes off the board here.

#4 - CLE - Saquon Barkley - RB - Penn State - Barkley may well be the best player in the draft at any position. Having Darnold & Barkley on board completes the offensive overhaul they've started this offseason by trading for Jarvis Landry. Barkley fills a hole and is more of an impact player for Cleveland than Chubb would be.

#5 - DEN - Bradley Chubb - DE - NC State - Denver's defense was at its best when Von Miller had Demarcus Ware across from him and Shane Ray as a relief rusher. Shane Ray has been having big time issues with his wrist and has missed a lot of time. Having Chubb gives Denver back its feared pass rush that helped them to a championship.

#6 - TRADE UP - MIA - Josh Allen - QB - Wyoming - Miami trade up to be first in line for the last top QB on the board. They could face stiff competition so will need to pay handsomely and outbid other teams for the trade up. Allen has a howitzer for an arm but needs work on his accuracy, especially if he hasn't got his feet set. He may not be ready to start right away but having veterans like Brock Osweiler and Ryan Tannehill in the room with him will aid his development. The Colts will take the haul of picks rather than a very good Guard if they're smart. The trade gives Miami their QB of the future without giving away the team's future.

IND                 MIA

#6                  #11
                      2019 1st  

1600                2230

Colts Draft

1st Round #11 - Trumaine Edmunds - MLB - Virginia Tech - 6'5 253lbs - Edmunds combines elite size, speed and explosiveness into a productive, versatile, linebacker shaped person. At 19 (good lord I'm old) he'll need time to work on his football IQ and clear up the mental mistakes. Coaches and scouts are going to see him as a piece of mouldable clay, but his athletic traits and age make his ceiling stupendously high. He's the kind of player that you plug in at any linebacker spot and he will excel. For now he will be plugged in as the starting MLB. And bring some speed to a linebacking corps fairly devoid of athleticism.
2nd Round #36 - Billy Price - C/G - Ohio St. - 6'4 312lbs - He's an alpha male leader with starting experience at Guard and Centre. Very strong with an explosive upper body. Good balance with an impressive anchor as a pass protector. Quick off the snap as a run blocker although has a tendency to get impatient and lunge leading him to lose his balance. Had a partial pectoral tear during the bench press at the combine but shouldn't miss time. Was known as a big time lifter in college and was expected to hit the 35-40rep area. Having him step into one of the Guard spots will hopefully help fortify the interior line. 
2nd Round #37 - Isaiah Wynn - OG - Georgia - 6'3 313lbs - Strong, athletic and technically sound blocker. Wynn largely played LT in Athens, his future is at Guard but he does have the flexibility to move back in an injury situation. He has the mean demeanour that offensive line coaches look for especially on the interior. Has the footwork and strength in his hands to be effective in pass protection. He's an effective move and base blocker. Quick to respond to twists and stunts. Finishes blocks well and plays to the whistle. Instant starter at one of the Guard spots. An interior line of Price - Kelly - Wynn? Yes please.
2nd Round #42 - Isaiah Oliver - CB - Colorado - 6'0 201lbs - Another elite, size and speed athlete with arms for days. High ceiling as a bump and run corner. He's aggressive at the catch point and will force incompletions. Strong jab from press. His coverage technique does need work but all of the issues are fixable with pro-level coaching. He needs to work on his run support and tackling form as well. Between Isaiah and Quincy we should have a number 1 & 2 CB.
2nd Round #49 - Sony Michel - RB - Georgia - 5'11 220lbs - Well built, strong and decisive. He's not a power back or a scat back but an angular slasher. Disciplined runner that rarely takes losses by trying to be a homerun-hero. Ran a 4.54 and put up 22 on the bench. Has 3rd down value as an excellent blocker, especially picking up blitzers. Can catch out of the backfield but not a natural hands catcher. Respected and vocal 2 year captain. Has much less wear and tear on the tyres after sharing a backfield with Nick Chubb for a lot of his college career. Will excel in a zone run offense. He takes Gore's place as the head of the backfield with Mack as his relief.
3rd Round #67 - Chad Thomas - DE - Miami - 6'6 281lbs - Athletic with good size that could continue to add muscle and play inside. He is a natural pass rusher who utilises leverage well, but needs to learn to use his hands better, or at all. With his athletic ability he has been able to get by without learning very much technique. He's not a big factor in the run game although has the strength to anchor well. Given time and coaching he could become an effective pass rusher as either a DE or in time as a DT if he continues to pack on muscle.
4th Round #104 - Oren Burks - OLB - Vanderbilt - 6'3 233lbs - Twitchy athlete who showed off at the combine. Had good looking field workouts as well. Rangy and good in pursuit. Converted Safety with coverage abilities. He does make mental mistakes that can pull him out of position. Needs to sure up his tackling technique. He fits the Eberflus ideal as a rangy, quick LB. He fits nicely as a WILL in a 4-3. 
5th Round #140 - Antonio Callaway - WR - Florida - 5'11 197lbs - Immensely talented but intensely troubled. Top level deep speed (4.41 40). Energetic and explosive in his routes with choppy footwork to create separation from man coverage. Watching his tape I couldn't help but be reminded of Chad Johnson's footwork. Although with that energy, he needs to make sure his routes don't become hurried. Gave Minkah Fitzpatrick fits in the 2016 SEC Title Game. Hands have been inconsistent in the past. Could be a terrific slot receiver. Electric returner on special teams. Now for the down side, his off the field history is undeniable. He faced a sexual assault trial between his freshman and sophomore year but was cleared of those charges before the 2016 season by admitting during the hearing he was so high he couldn't have possibly 'performed'. He was also cited for marijuana possession in May 2017 as a passenger in a car stopped because the driver wasn't wearing his seat belt; he pled no contest to possession of paraphernalia in July 2017. He never played in 2017 because of his involvement in a credit card fraud scheme with other teammates. Instead of looking for reinstatement or a transfer, he decided to declare. According to staff at Florida he was universally liked but not trusted. Scouts have said getting him out of Miami and away from his old crew will allow him to leave his past behind him. Seeing the likes of Antonio Brown reach out to him on Twitter recently is encouraging. Consider him the Tyreek Hill-style flier.
6th Round #178 - Jaleel Scott - WR - New Mexico St. - 6'5 215lbs - Big target at receiver. Needs time and coaching to refine his route running but has the speed and physicality to create separation if his technique is corrected. His play speed has been questioned but ran a 4.54 at the combine so obviously has the wheels to use. He has a wiry build and isn't a good blocker in the run game. Think of him as a budget version of Equanimeous St. Brown, but he'll be going in the 2nd/3rd. 
7th Round #221 - Charvarius Ward - CB - Middle Tenn St. - 6'1 195lbs - He's a sleeper prospect that is hovering under the national spotlight. Ward has all the physical tools to develop into a starter at the next level. A junior-college transfer who broke up five passes and picked off two more in his first season with the Blue Raiders, he followed that up with an impressive senior year, breaking up another 14 passes. He was playing against much lower level competition so will take time to get up to NFL speed. This year's deep CB class could make Ward a valuable bargain in the later rounds.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

I also want us to take 2 guards in the 2nd. Hernandez, price, Wynn in that order. Maybe Ragnow in the 3rd. 

I like Hernandez but I think he goes in the bottom of the 1st. The Giants also have a pick before us in the second and they need to replace Justin Pugh. If both Price and Wynn are there we count ourselves lucky I think.

This is honestly a hell of a scenario. The only issue I have is that I do not believe the Giants will trade out of two. I can't remember the source, but I distinctly remember reading somewhere that someone high in the Giants brass likes their options at two, and hadn't considered any trade offers.

A small issue in the grand scheme of this mock. Great job!

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I'd take that all day long. I'd look at finding a 3-tech DT somewhere late. We'd still struggle to get after the QB but the rest of the roster would be much improved. Could then use one of 2 first rounders in 2019 on a pass rusher. Ideal haul IMO. Good Job.

That was my thought. And Miami aren’t going to be competitive next year so the 1st could well be another top 10 pick.

3 hours ago, Exodus said:

This is honestly a hell of a scenario. The only issue I have is that I do not believe the Giants will trade out of two. I can't remember the source, but I distinctly remember reading somewhere that someone high in the Giants brass likes their options at two, and hadn't considered any trade offers.

A small issue in the grand scheme of this mock. Great job!

I really wasn't sure about the Giants. They could take a QB but Eli has some time left and the picks they'd get from Buffalo would really help them build the talent they have around him. 

They've lost JPP, Justin Pugh and Weston Richburg. All need replacing sooner rather than later.

That is an awesome and amazing draft........

I have felt that Miami trading with us, may just be what happens.

The price for Miami may be a bit steep for them.  (The points are WAY in our favor......... )

The word massacre comes to mind

I think a more realistic is a 1 and 2 (close to Even point wise) AND a 2nd round for next year....... Also a haul

I also think that Edmunds gets grabbed by Chicago in this lineup

I also see Wynn going in late first.

But.... again...... Awesome draft (I TRULY hope it happens)

As good a trade down scenario as one could hope for that leaves Nelson, Edmunds, Smith, Ward and Fitzpatrick on the board... any one of which I'd be perfectly happy with at #11 where one of them would slide to.

And a nice slate of players selected.

Plus a 2019 1st rounder? 

May the QB feeding frenzy commence!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

That is an awesome and amazing draft........

I have felt that Miami trading with us, may just be what happens.

The price for Miami may be a bit steep for them.  (The points are WAY in our favor......... )

The word massacre comes to mind

I think a more realistic is a 1 and 2 (close to Even point wise) AND a 2nd round for next year....... Also a haul

I also think that Edmunds gets grabbed by Chicago in this lineup

I also see Wynn going in late first.

But.... again...... Awesome draft (I TRULY hope it happens)

I'm not really sure. I think the whole value point system goes out of the window to some extent when its a trade up for a QB. And considering for Miami it will either be Josh Allen or move forward with Osweiler and Tannehill, Lamar Jackson at best, I think we could have them over the barrel if we can get a bidding war going.

Arizona may also be circling, and Josh Allen really suits the Arizona deep air raid style.

I view this process as a multi year effort

As another option, 

IF...... IF we were to trade with Ariz, becasue they HAD to have a QB that was left

We could get 15th, 2nd AND next years 1st The "points" put us for this year at 1480 (vs 1600)

If they drafted middle of the pack next year again......  we should be 1050 ish   2480 pts vs 1600

is also a haul

Landry should be available at 15

I would hate to lose a chance at Chubb,  Smith, or Edmunds, but I have a gut feel that Landry is going to be special

and has the first step that gets him by OTs (He had 16.5 sacks the prior year)... Watch his tape.

I get the feeling that Landry will get more sacks than Chubb......  not as complete, but the guy is a player

Of the possible trade partners, (if we trade) Ariz is my least favorite, but a deal can be made here

I hope that the OP is right in his mock.  I think Miami is the best trade partner, as there STILL is a chance to get Smith or Edmunds

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I view this process as a multi year effort

As another option, 

IF...... IF we were to trade with Ariz, becasue they HAD to have a QB that was left

We could get 15th, 2nd AND next years 1st The "points" put us for this year at 1480 (vs 1600)

If they drafted middle of the pack next year again......  we should be 1050 ish   2480 pts vs 1600

is also a haul

Landry should be available at 15

I would hate to lose a chance at Chubb,  Smith, or Edmunds, but I have a gut feel that Landry is going to be special

and has the first step that gets him by OTs (He had 16.5 sacks the prior year)... Watch his tape.

I get the feeling that Landry will get more sacks than Chubb......  not as complete, but the guy is a player

Of the possible trade partners, (if we trade) Ariz is my least favorite, but a deal can be made here

I hope that the OP is right in his mock.  I think Miami is the best trade partner, as there STILL is a chance to get Smith or Edmunds

I really like Landry too. If we do end up reading back with Arizona then he’s my first choice

I used to go to UK all the time on business. Lot of revenue for me in Cambridge 

Love the area,,,,,,, food is average, Blood pudding???? (except for a "CURRY!" :) )

UK is the BEST in the world for Indian food...... 

Never really got the hang of driving........ I think I scared some of your fellow brits have to death.  :(

its cool that there are Colts fans in other parts of the world. I had great ongoing dialog about Andrew Luck with head of engineering at Telstra in Melbourne. He would always ask how the Colts were going to do...  

6 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I used to go to UK all the time on business. Lot of revenue for me in Cambridge 

Love the area,,,,,,, food is average, Blood pudding???? (except for a "CURRY!" :) )

UK is the BEST in the world for Indian food...... 

Never really got the hang of driving........ I think I scared some of your fellow brits have to death.  :(

its cool that there are Colts fans in other parts of the world. I had great ongoing dialog about Andrew Luck with head of engineering at Telstra in Melbourne. He would always ask how the Colts were going to do...  

Very nice, my girlfriend lives in Cambridge so I’m there a lot on weekends. Beautiful city.

I have never had blood pudding in my life, I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily a staple food for us, although it seems to be a stereotype.

Not a lot of Colts fans here. A lot of 9ers and Fins fans from the Montana and Marino eras. My dad is from Fort Wayne so I grew up as a Colt.