Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Big three available and the Colts pass

15 hours ago, Superman said:

If all three are available, the only way the Colts pass is if they get a monster offer from another team to move up. I think that's the case even if only one of them is available.

Just curious.  What do you think it would take for the Colts to trade down if only Nelson was available, and what do you think another team would trade to move up to get him?

I think they pass on Barkley and Nelson if both are there at 6. The only question is if they would pass on Chubb.  I think it's possible.  If they were really in love with him I don't think they trade down from 3. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I along with others have been saying that Nelson at 6 is to high.  However one scout made the point that their r a number of dominant dtackles in the game.  He said  the importance of a dominant guard is increasing , as pressure is increasingly  coming up the middle.  A number of offences r based on the qb getting rid of the ball quickly. Getting around the edge is harder due to quick releases from the qbs.  Question.  If u r going into a game and Nelson can take on  Aaron Donald , Fletcher  Cox one on one....is that not a game changing player?  Just a thought

I think most of the pressure that we couldn't handle last year came up the middle.  We need a couple of stellar guards IMO.  Nelson would be a game changer for us. 

If we pass on the Big 3,  I think it says that we see Edmunds and/or Smith as either their equal or their NEAR equal.

And that if we trade down to get more picks,  it's worth it to us to pass on the Big 3. 

Linebacker is the weakest position group on defense.   I think taking Edmunds or Smith would be a huge injection of talent into a weak group.      And I'd be Ok with it, dependig on what we gained in a trade.

Now, if those guys are there and we stay at 6 and still take someone else,  then we're definitely saying we like the LBs more than the Big 3.    To me, passing on the Big 3 means a slight trade back and picks up picks...

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

If we pass on the Big 3,  I think it says that we see Edmunds and/or Smith as either their equal or their NEAR equal.

And that if we trade down to get more picks,  it's worth it to us to pass on the Big 3. 

Linebacker is the weakest position group on defense.   I think taking Edmunds or Smith would be a huge injection of talent into a weak group.      And I'd be Ok with it, dependig on what we gained in a trade.

Now, if those guys are there and we stay at 6 and still take someone else,  then we're definitely saying we like the LBs more than the Big 3.    To me, passing on the Big 3 means a slight trade back and picks up picks...

Agreed.  You shouldn't pick for need, but there are glaring holes in the roster right now at LB and arguably Smith or Edmunds could be BPA, even with the other 3 on the board.

With a slimmer Anderson, nice FA Autry, Sheard, and Basham now in a 43, Chubb has to be a special player to be added to that group with pick 6 at this point.  And I just don't think Barkley and Nelson pass the positional value test. 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Just curious.  What do you think it would take for the Colts to trade down if only Nelson was available, and what do you think another team would trade to move up to get him?

I don't think another team would trade up for Nelson, I think they'd be trading up for a QB, assuming one of them is still there. Maybe Minkah or Ward...

The Colts would probably need to stay in the top ten and bring back a third or a future second to move back.

• Like 1

I agree Superman,  I think the Colts r to far back at #6 to b involved in a trade involving a qb.  I am just not sure  that Chubb fits the type of Dend that the Colts r looking for.  I think they looking for more of a Davenport/ Landry type.  Landry is light and maybe more of a 3 4 player. However, maybe he adds 10 pounds or so in the first year.   I just love his burst and Davenport has length and speed.  I just have a feeling Ballard may shock us with his 1st pick.  He strikes me as a guy who doesnt care what others think and is confident in himself and his decisions.  I see a little of Bellichek in him.  He runs the team like a business and takes the emotion out when making a decision.

29 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I agree Superman,  I think the Colts r to far back at #6 to b involved in a trade involving a qb.  I am just not sure  that Chubb fits the type of Dend that the Colts r looking for.  I think they looking for more of a Davenport/ Landry type.  Landry is light and maybe more of a 3 4 player. However, maybe he adds 10 pounds or so in the first year.   I just love his burst and Davenport has length and speed.  I just have a feeling Ballard may shock us with his 1st pick.  He strikes me as a guy who doesnt care what others think and is confident in himself and his decisions.  I see a little of Bellichek in him.  He runs the team like a business and takes the emotion out when making a decision.

I don't think we know very much about Ballard, still. His approach this offseason surprised me, not that it's a bad thing, but I expected him to add more players than he did. We'll see where he and his staff, including the coaches, stand on different prospects as time goes on. I still think Chubb is a rock solid DE prospect, and if he's there at #6 I think he'd be a slam dunk pick. It's hard to see Ballard trading back if Chubb is still on the board.

• Like 2

U r probably right, as u know far more about football than me hahaha.  I really enjoy your feedback.  Whatever happens at 6.....this is going to b one of the more enjoyable Colts drafts since Manning.  Oh and we all knew who we were picking in the Luck draft, so that was kind of anti climatic.

On April 10, 2018 at 7:08 AM, coltsfeva said:

Here’s the thing when it comes to Chubb vs Nelson: the drop off from Chubb to Landry or Davenport is greater than the drop off from Nelson to Hernandez or Wynn, from what I’ve heard.

If that’s true, and Chubb is there, it’s a no-brainer to take Chubb and get Oline as part of the 2nd.

If Chubb is gone, I wonder if it’s better to take Edmunds and go after Oline in the 2nd, even if Nelson is there.

You could be right cf. I'd be fine with Nelson, Chubb, or Edmunds. I'd like Nelson, but if we miss out on him, I'll live since I have confidence in Chris Ballard & what he did in KC alone with the roster there.  

• Like 1