Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some Clarity for draft night

20 hours ago, BProland85 said:

If Ballard is that high on Roquan which I’m fine with, I would hope he trades down in a range where he can still get him. 6 is a bit high. Chicago really wants Quenton Nelson so if he is there at 6 Ballard could dangle him to Chicago, pick up Jordan Howard and another draft pick, and still land Roquan Smith at 8. 

I there is any chance of this happening I would be beyond happy......great idea 

21 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You say that like Chicago would go for that. I highly doubt they would.

With that said, if Ballard values Roquan that much just take him. This figuring where a first round player should go makes no sense to me.

I like it. That is real GM type mentality.  If after all your scouts data, your film sessions, attending pro days and combines, perusing medical and psychological tests, digesting the interviews points to 'a guy' being 'your guy' for your team and system, then you just go get him (whoever that may be for Ballard).  Forget about the hoopla of going to the dance with other partners hoping that at the end of the night you still end up with the one you wanted and could have asked to go with in the first place.

10 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I like it. That is real GM type mentality.  If after all your scouts data, your film sessions, attending pro days and combines, perusing medical and psychological tests, digesting the interviews points to 'a guy' being 'your guy' for your team and system, then you just go get him (whoever that may be for Ballard).  Forget about the hoopla of going to the dance with other partners hoping that at the end of the night you still end up with the one you wanted and could have asked to go with in the first place.

I think that is what most of the good GMs do. They target their guy and do what they can to get him.

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think that is what most of the good GMs do. They target their guy and do what they can to get him.

Exactly. And once they do, they figure out the math. If they can be 'sure' (not think they might be) their guy will be on the board at a lower spot, they will trade down. If that isn't certain, they don't trade and just take the guy when their turn comes up.

• Like 1