Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some Clarity for draft night

The first tweet from Breer is the full podcast. 2nd tweet is what’s Colts related out of the podcast

So sounds like it’s 

1. Chubb 

2. Roquan

3. Nelson 

So just a heads up if there is truth to this. At least some of you who want Nelson won’t be too upset if this does happen cause at least you were given a heads up :). Even though Ballard already said he likes the Guard talent in the later rounds so I’m not even sure if Nelson was ever on his radar. Could all be smoke & mirrors though

:colts:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Wouldn't surprise me. Especially considering, like you mention, Ballard saying he likes the interior talent in "rounds 2, 3, and 4."

Give me a LB duo of Roquan & Malik Jefferson and I’m good to go :thmup:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

The first tweet from Breer is the full podcast. 2nd tweet is what’s Colts related out of the podcast

So sounds like it’s 

1. Chubb 

2. Roquan

3. Nelson 

So just a heads up if there is truth to this. At least some of you who want Nelson won’t be too upset if this does happen cause at least you were given a heads up :). Even though Ballard already said he likes the Guard talent in the later rounds so I’m not even sure if Nelson was ever on his radar. Could all be smoke & mirrors though

If you have options and consider a player, but ultimately pick someone else, that doesn't mean the player "wasn't ever on his radar."   Ballard was at the Notre Dame Pro Day.    He doesn't go to many Pro Days.

There is ZERO chance that we're not even considering Nelson.   None whatsoever.

I love Nelson and would be thrilled to take him.   But I'll be fine if we pass on him and take a good guard in R2 or R3.

Passing on a player dies not mean we didn't consider him.

17 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Roquan with a trade back would be nice. We could trade back to 11 or 12 and land a future 1st plus an extra 2nd or 3rd this year. 

Doubt he makes it past Oakland at 10

And then the bonehead Ruben Foster might push the 49ers to draft Roquan 

• Like 3

With the guard depth n this draft I'd be perfectly ok with this.....this is where all those 2nd round picks will come in very handy. Sure they're not Nelson's caliber but they're still leagues better than what's on the roster...sans a healthy Mewhort.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

He might not but I think there is a decent chance he does slip past 10 especially with 4 QBs drafted in the top 10. 

I’m hoping he does if Colts do Trade back. Thankfully the draft is just a few weeks away at this point. Only a matter of time before all speculation ends

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

I’m hoping he does if Colts do Trade back. Thankfully the draft is just a few weeks away at this point. Only a matter of time before all speculation ends

Yup and either way if we are sitting at 11 or 12 we are going to get a great player. Whether it’s Edmonds, Smith, James, Vita Vea, Fitzpatrick... at least one will be there. 

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

Getting Roquan would help me feel a lot better about taking Jefferson, because Jefferson's biggest issues revolve around effort and motivation. Roquan is a really strong leader who, I believe, would help keep Jefferson on the right track mentally.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

So sounds like it’s 

1. Chubb 

2. Roquan

3. Nelson 

If Ballard is that high on Roquan which I’m fine with, I would hope he trades down in a range where he can still get him. 6 is a bit high. Chicago really wants Quenton Nelson so if he is there at 6 Ballard could dangle him to Chicago, pick up Jordan Howard and another draft pick, and still land Roquan Smith at 8. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If Ballard is that high on Roquan which I’m fine with, I would hope he trades down in a range where he can still get him. 6 is a bit high. Chicago really wants Quenton Nelson so if he is there at 6 Ballard could dangle him to Chicago, pick up Jordan Howard and another draft pick, and still land Roquan Smith at 8. 

You say that like Chicago would go for that. I highly doubt they would.

With that said, if Ballard values Roquan that much just take him. This figuring where a first round player should go makes no sense to me.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I like your thinking. Can we make you co-drafter :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You say that like Chicago would go for that. I highly doubt they would.

With that said, if Ballard values Roquan that much just take him. This figuring where a first round player should go makes no sense to me.

I could easily see Chicago wanting Nelson over whoever they’d get at 8. Nelson’s previous OL coach is now on the Bears staff too. Couldn’t hurt to try instead of just reaching a bit by taking Smith at 6. 

2 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Nah, both best fit as a WLB, so I don't think they will mesh well, Roquon and LVE if he by some miracle drops to our 2nd round pick would be ideal.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WarGhost21 said:

Nah, both best fit as a WLB, so I don't think they will mesh well, Roquon and LVE if he by some miracle drops to our 2nd round pick would be ideal.

I would rather have a duo of Roquan Smith and Darius Leonard, with Leonard playing MLB. I love his game, and our LB coverage and overall athleticism would be much dramatically improved with bringing in these two. 

37 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Just more food for the decision tree.

Option 1

#6 DE Chubb

#36 G Wynn

#37 LB Evans

Option 2

#6 LB Smith

#37 G Wynn

#37 DE/LB Mata'afa

Option 3

#6 G Nelson

#36 LB Evans

#37 DE/LB Mata'afa

Or Hernandez, or Jefferson, or Landry, or, or, or, or...

No use wasting a second on Mata'afa. I love him as a player and think he will be a fantastic player, but most scouting reports I've read have him as a 4th rounder, so we could easily scoop him up in the third or early 4th if he's still there. Other than that, I'd say Option 1 is my favorite.

11 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

No use wasting a second on Mata'afa. I love him as a player and think he will be a fantastic player, but most scouting reports I've read have him as a 4th rounder, so we could easily scoop him up in the third or early 4th if he's still there. Other than that, I'd say Option 1 is my favorite.

I think of Mata'afa and Landry as a group.  They're not as all around dominant as Chubb, but they both have the top end upfield burst that he doesn't.

5 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

With how tight-lipped Ballard has been about everything this off-season, I doubt anyone outside of the building has any idea of what the Colts will do.

Exactly. With the 50 plus different scenarios this forum can come up with none of us knows what Ballard will be doing. I guess no matter what goes down someone might hit on their guess and sit back and say I told you so. :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

So sounds like it’s 

1. Chubb 

2. Roquan

3. Nelson 

If Nelson is there we must grab him

1 hour ago, Shive said:

Getting Roquan would help me feel a lot better about taking Jefferson, because Jefferson's biggest issues revolve around effort and motivation. Roquan is a really strong leader who, I believe, would help keep Jefferson on the right track mentally.

Mike and Will would be set for years to come...any concern about Roquan not getting off NFL blocks...take Hurst, Hand, Green DT in the 2nd or 3rd...slide in a CB like Alexander, Oliver or Hill... Defense beginning to look formidable.

23 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly. With the 50 plus different scenarios this forum can come up with none of us knows what Ballard will be doing. I guess no matter what goes down someone might hit on their guess and sit back and say I told you so. :D

I disagree.  I know exactly what he is doing.  I will summarize for you on May 1st.

3 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Doubt he makes it past Oakland at 10

And then the bonehead Ruben Foster might push the 49ers to draft Roquan 

I don't think Oakland is as much of a potential fit for Smith as many make him out to be. They've got tons of wholes and I think they're really gonna fall in love with Vea. 

They could go any of Vea, James, Edmunds, Smith, Ward, Fitzpatrick, etc. Based on who falls. 

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I think of Mata'afa and Landry as a group.  They're not as all around dominant as Chubb, but they both have the top end upfield burst that he doesn't.

Exactly, but why not grab Mata’afa in the 4th rather than Landry in the 2nd?

Protecting Luck should be Ballard's #1 priority if he wants to keep his job. Nelson is considered to be once in a generation prospect and if Ballard passes him up and Andrew continued to get murdered, Ballard is going to find himself on the unemployment line. The Offensive Line has been broken every year Luck's been in the NFL and Ballard did absolutely nothing the last off-season to address it and re-signing an injury prone Mewhort and a 32-year-old Slauson aren't enough and we all know that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This draft might be very deep with interior line talent, but does Ballard really want to gamble that Wynn, Hernandez, etc to be around in the 2nd? I do agree that there are quality guards to be had later but selecting the right one becomes more difficult in the later rounds. If colts take Nelson, they know what there getting. If we would've signed norwell people screaming for oline help would be at ease. But now it's still patch work at best. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, boo2202 said:

This draft might be very deep with interior line talent, but does Ballard really want to gamble that Wynn, Hernandez, etc to be around in the 2nd? I do agree that there are quality guards to be had later but selecting the right one becomes more difficult in the later rounds. If colts take Nelson, they know what there getting. If we would've signed norwell people screaming for oline help would be at ease. But now it's still patch work at best. 

IMO we need two new starters on the OL from this draft.  What's wrong with Nelson and another G or T with one of our second rounders?  The No. 1 priority should be to fix our OL.  That should be obvious to any Colt's fan.  

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

IMO we need two new starters on the OL from this draft.  What's wrong with Nelson and another G or T with one of our second rounders?  The No. 1 priority should be to fix our OL.  That should be obvious to any Colt's fan.  

Priority number one should be improving the overall talent on the team.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Priority number one should be improving the overall talent on the team.

nelson would do that too

several analysts have him as the second best player in the class after barkley 

16 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

nelson would do that too

several analysts have him as the second best player in the class after barkley 

Yes, he would.  My point is that so would many other players, if the Colts decide to draft another player, i.e. Chubb or Barkley, that is still okay.