Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 1st Rd Pick narrowed down to three players

With us being less than three weeks until the draft, I've narrowed down our 1st rd candidates down to three. Rather through trade down or staying at pick 6, I see Ballard targeting one of these three.

Player 1 Roquan Smith- he's the best Lb in the draft. Ballard has mentioned that the linebacking core will get overhauled this offseason. Well it hasn't happened yet and this is basically the last chance to improve this position. Smith is a sideline to sideline tackling machine and he's also very good in coverage. Just seems like a Ballard pick. Smith's production matches his tape. He's an elite prospect.

Player 2 Derwin James- This kid can play. Last week there were reports about the colts having a surprise sleeper player their targeting. I think that player is James. First off it would be a surprise because we drafted Malik hooker last year and most don't think we'll spend another high pick on the position. Well James is completely different than hooker. You can play him in the box or close to the LOS. He's tackling ability gives him so much flexibility on where you can line him up. Most wouldn't like this pick but I would be ok with it. Having Malik and Derwin in the defensive backfield would be nice.

Player 3 Quenton Nelson- not much explaining to do here. I'm almost positive he's at the top of many teams draft board. The problem is do you really want to take a guard with such a high pick? I most definitely would giving how good Nelson is. He's a tone setter on the oline. He'll come in day 1 and make the whole oline better just by the way he competes. Its been a long time since we've brought in a talented lineman. Ballard has said that this class is deep with guards but none with nelsons talent. To me having him say that, could very well be a smoke screen. Ballard has to be interested, as he attended Norte Dames pro day.

conclusion: I know many are wanting Chubb, Barkley, etc. But when colts traded down, I got the feeling Ballard isn't as high on those players as the fans are. I mean if he thought Chubb was a stud DE does he really take the chance of missing out on him? No he would've stayed at three and then made a trade on draft day if Chubb was taken before our 3rd pick. Ballards draft board is obviously different than others. 

12 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

You’re missing Chubb and Edmunds. 

Yea in my conclusion stated why I didn't include Chubb on the list. Edmunds on the other hand would be player 4 if I had to choose another. I just see Roquan as a better fit for us. He's also a better player. Edmunds arm tackles to much for me and I think he lacks the instincts that smith has. I know he's just 19 but give me the better player that has produced for two years in the SEC.

• Like 3

I think Edmunds would be the better pick at LB. Imo he has the higher ceiling and is more versatile than smith. So, if Chubb and Nelson are gone at 6(what i think will be  the case), i would be happy to get edmunds. With our 3 picks in the 2nd we can still get quality players along the lines on both sides of the ball.(and a rb) :headspin:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Yea in my conclusion stated why I didn't include Chubb on the list. Edmunds on the other hand would be player 4 if I had to choose another. I just see Roquan as a better fit for us. He's also a better player. Edmunds arm tackles to much for me and I think he lacks the instincts that smith has. I know he's just 19 but give me the better player that has produced for two years in the SEC.

From the tape I've seen Smith was the arm tackler. Granted he got in and got an arm on the player but he is not imposing at all. I'd also take Edmunds pass d over smith. You can't teach that size, speed and length. People keep talking about his run d but it's his pass d that makes him shine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure I understand the rationale for choosing only those three.  Depending on trades and how it falls, it could be between 10 different players(or more), or someone no one is considering like Hooker.  

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

Not sure I understand the rationale for choosing only those three.  Depending on trades and how it falls, it could be between 10 different players(or more), or someone no one is considering like Hooker.  

Yea just try to take a different approach. I could've easily included ten prospects. These three just in my opinion fit ballards vision. As far as edmunds being better than Smith, that's nonsense. Yes edmunds has a higher ceiling. People look at edmunds size and jump to conclusions and compare him to urlacker etc. There's always a high chance to bust out when drafting for potential. The film don't lie on edmunds. He takes poor angles often and with his size should be exploding through on tackles (yes this can be taught). I wouldn't be mad if we drafted edmunds as he could develop into a great player, I just see smith as the better player right now.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

From the tape I've seen Smith was the arm tackler. Granted he got in and got an arm on the player but he is not imposing at all. I'd also take Edmunds pass d over smith. You can't teach that size, speed and length. People keep talking about his run d but it's his pass d that makes him shine. 

One of Smith's biggest strengths is his tackling. His tackling technique is fantastic and he only missed 6 tackles last season, which is insane considering he had 137 tackles. He won't typically drive a RB backwards, but hes going to stop him. They may get a yard or 2 more after contact, but you can be pretty sure that one-on-one, nobody is getting past Smith.

20 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

It’s not going to be James. We already have Geathers and Farley Back there at SS, so we don’t need a 4th safety when we have huge holes at other positions and the players on the board to fill those positions

I think James will be a really good SS, but I agree. Geathers is a beast when healthy and Farley surprised a lot of us with being very good filling in for Geathers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boo2202 said:

With us being less than three weeks until the draft, I've narrowed down our 1st rd candidates down to three. Rather through trade down or staying at pick 6, I see Ballard targeting one of these three.

Player 1 Roquan Smith- he's the best Lb in the draft. Ballard has mentioned that the linebacking core will get overhauled this offseason. Well it hasn't happened yet and this is basically the last chance to improve this position. Smith is a sideline to sideline tackling machine and he's also very good in coverage. Just seems like a Ballard pick. Smith's production matches his tape. He's an elite prospect.

Player 2 Derwin James- This kid can play. Last week there were reports about the colts having a surprise sleeper player their targeting. I think that player is James. First off it would be a surprise because we drafted Malik hooker last year and most don't think we'll spend another high pick on the position. Well James is completely different than hooker. You can play him in the box or close to the LOS. He's tackling ability gives him so much flexibility on where you can line him up. Most wouldn't like this pick but I would be ok with it. Having Malik and Derwin in the defensive backfield would be nice.

Player 3 Quenton Nelson- not much explaining to do here. I'm almost positive he's at the top of many teams draft board. The problem is do you really want to take a guard with such a high pick? I most definitely would giving how good Nelson is. He's a tone setter on the oline. He'll come in day 1 and make the whole oline better just by the way he competes. Its been a long time since we've brought in a talented lineman. Ballard has said that this class is deep with guards but none with nelsons talent. To me having him say that, could very well be a smoke screen. Ballard has to be interested, as he attended Norte Dames pro day.

conclusion: I know many are wanting Chubb, Barkley, etc. But when colts traded down, I got the feeling Ballard isn't as high on those players as the fans are. I mean if he thought Chubb was a stud DE does he really take the chance of missing out on him? No he would've stayed at three and then made a trade on draft day if Chubb was taken before our 3rd pick. Ballards draft board is obviously different than others. 

I like Smith, James, and Nelson....... All are high potential, but for me..... none match the 6th pick

NFL.com now lists Edmunds at their 3rd highest level prospect overall, and I beleve its a position of

need for the Colts 

I think James can be had if we move via trade to 11 or 12

(the others you listed will be long gone)

But........ I believe that james IS a difference maker.....

Jim Irsay literally said the options with the first round pick are pass rusher, running back, or offensive line.

To me that means they expect Chubb, Nelson, or Barkley to fall to them and they are fine taking the chance to get one of those three while also collecting picks.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, boo2202 said:

He is 21 now

I do not like Roquan Smith, I think its been widely covered and discussed and you tube'd that he cannot come off a block, and most teams ran the ball right at him in College for that reason.....Bracket 2.0 without Sanders to pick up the run stopping slack.........Tremaine is not perfect either but their is an upside to overcome his deficiencies you can't make Smiths arms longer, frame taller......so I will lean toward #4 Tremaine #5 the rest of the draft class field and skip options 1-3 in this thread.....If we are picking 11-12 James is someone I would consider though, and I am not a Guard with this high of a first rounder fan......

5 hours ago, Crunked said:

I do not like Roquan Smith, I think its been widely covered and discussed and you tube'd that he cannot come off a block, and most teams ran the ball right at him in College for that reason.....Bracket 2.0 without Sanders to pick up the run stopping slack.........Tremaine is not perfect either but their is an upside to overcome his deficiencies you can't make Smiths arms longer, frame taller......

He's not a MIKE that would have to regularly shed blocks, so there wouldn't be a concern of him being Bracket 2.0. He would be a WILL, so more like a Cato June that is able to flow around and make plays. He doesn't shed blocks well, but his tackling is superb. His arms aren't that short either. They're longer than Cato June's or Lavonte David's (two really good WILL LB's), and the same length as Derrick Brooks, who he is almost the exact same size as at this point in time (just a tad taller and faster than Brooks). I think some work with NFL coaches could help him improve his shedding technique.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shive said:

He's not a MIKE that would have to regularly shed blocks, so there wouldn't be a concern of him being Bracket 2.0. He would be a WILL, so more like a Cato June that is able to flow around and make plays. He doesn't shed blocks well, but his tackling is superb. His arms aren't that short either. They're longer than Cato June's or Lavonte David's (two really good WILL LB's), and the same length as Derrick Brooks, who he is almost the exact same size as at this point in time (just a tad taller and faster than Brooks). I think some work with NFL coaches could help him improve his shedding technique.

Well if they are targeting him for the Will position, then I suppose his block shedding is not as critical. But comparing him to Cato June in any way  is not really saying much..... June was like a 3rd or 4th round selection not the 6th overall....If the Colts are targeting him for the Will then I am probably pushed even further Tremaines way.....just because my ideal (positions to draft forgetting the who for just a moment) would be edge rusher or MLB......with that 6th pick......now if we get something else, I won't lose my mind, but my preference is to get difference makers in those two positions before all else.

I think you misread the tea leaves, dude.  Ballard felt he could land a bounty and still get the player he wants.  To fix a team with a lot of holes through the draft, one needs a lot of premium draft picks.  Plus, if the trade loses his top player (which I believe to be Chubb), there are really good consolation prizes (of whom I have Roquon at the top)...

• Like 2

They're are a number of worthy players, but when you watch highlights you see the potential warts for each. I don't think Roquan could play anything but WILL linebacker. He just gets blown out by blockers. 

I think people are sleeping on Ward, who has incredible cover skills, at CB and Davenport, who could end up being the best pass rusher. 

With Nelson, I felt like he ended up doing a lot of double-team pass blocking; didn't see enough man on man.

Out of all them, Edmonds looks to have the highest boom/bust factor. You worry about his instincts, but wow, physically he's all you want. And I think he could play all three LB positions and even some pass-rushing DE in a 4-3. 

Still hoping for a shot at Chubb/Barkley.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I like Smith, James, and Nelson....... All are high potential, but for me..... none match the 6th pick

NFL.com now lists Edmunds at their 3rd highest level prospect overall, and I beleve its a position of

need for the Colts 

I think James can be had if we move via trade to 11 or 12

(the others you listed will be long gone)

But........ I believe that james IS a difference maker.....

Match the 6th pick?  If Nelson is who Ballard want's it make no difference what pick it is. This assumption that players should be taken at certain spots in the order of the draft is horse dung.

Nelson could very well be the BPA and it makes no difference where that falls in the draft order.

The NFL draft never goes like the fans think they should nor should they. The fans don't have the information that the GMs and their scouting staff has. Fans see the highlights of a player and think they know everything. Even after watching a player without seeing the total work of all the players they are not as knowledgeable as the scouting staffs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Match the 6th pick?  If Nelson is who Ballard want's it make no difference what pick it is. This assumption that players should be taken at certain spots in the order of the draft is horse dung.

Nelson could very well be the BPA and it makes no difference where that falls in the draft order.

The NFL draft never goes like the fans think they should nor should they. The fans don't have the information that the GMs and their scouting staff has. Fans see the highlights of a player and think they know everything. Even after watching a player without seeing the total work of all the players they are not as knowledgeable as the scouting staffs.

Thanks for the dialog

Its an opinion.......  just some old dude in Texas, with an opinion

I shouldnt even post...... because the GMs have ALL the information and the fans dont

Lets just get rid of this board...... because all of the GMs have all the information..... we cant even chat about it. 

Opinions from lowly fans are all horse dung..........   

I hope you have a great day

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

Thanks for the dialog

Its an opinion.......  just some old dude in Texas, with an opinion

I shouldnt even post...... because the GMs have ALL the information and the fans dont

Lets just get rid of this board...... because all of the GMs have all the information..... we cant even chat about it. 

Opinions from lowly fans are all horse dung..........   

I hope you have a great day

Sorry you got your feeling hurt.

That was not my intention but that's the way you took it.

1 hour ago, Archer said:

I think you misread the tea leaves, dude.  Ballard felt he could land a bounty and still get the player he wants.  To fix a team with a lot of holes through the draft, one needs a lot of premium draft picks.  Plus, if the trade loses his top player (which I believe to be Chubb), there are really good consolation prizes (of whom I have Roquon at the top)...

^This. Ballard wants his blue chip player and felt he still had a realistic shot to land him at No.6, that is why I think he moved down. 

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Sorry you got your feeling hurt.

That was not my intention but that's the way you took it.

I am too old to be offended by your words....... I truly dont care...... more than you know

Re-read your post.........   

Why bother to give opinions.......  

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

I am too old to be offended by your words....... I truly dont care...... more than you know

Re-read your post.........   

Why bother to give opinions.......  

So tell me what about my post is wrong if you don't agree with it.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

So tell me what about my post is wrong if you don't agree with it.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I will only answer your question, when you answer mine

Why bother to give opinions on this board?

If all the answers (like draft order) are known by the GMs (Your post)

4 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I will only answer your question, when you answer mine

Why bother to give opinions on this board?

If all the answers (like draft order) are known by the GMs (Your post)

Look, I am not interested with arguing with you. If you cant take my opinion for what it is, then that's your problem.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Look, I am not interested with arguing with you. If you cant take my opinion for what it is, then that's your problem.

LOL

Im fine, I truly am.

i find it funny that anyone would make a comment that someone shouldnt have an opinion, because someone else knows better.... on a forum.... which lets be honest.....ITS AN OPINION BOARD!!!!

I have opinions on players that some will end up being dead wrong....... some will end up being right.

I am not perfect.

The difference in opinions is what makes the forum work........ I start from a level of respect, because other posters also are here because they like the Colts........  I enjoy what other people have to say.... EVEN WHEN I DONT FULLY AGREE

As Colts fans we probably agree on more than we disagree on

When anyone says that I am not allowed to even have an opinion on any subject.........  Thats where I call nonsense

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

LOL

Im fine, I truly am.

i find it funny that anyone would make a comment that someone shouldnt have an opinion, because someone else knows better.... on a forum.... which lets be honest.....ITS AN OPINION BOARD!!!!

I have opinions on players that some will end up being dead wrong....... some will end up being right.

I am not perfect.

The difference in opinions is what makes the forum work........ I start from a level of respect, because other posters also are here because they like the Colts........  I enjoy what other people have to say.... EVEN WHEN I DONT FULLY AGREE

When anyone says that I am not allowed to even have an opinion on any subject.........  Thats where I call nonsense

No where did I say you are not allowed to have an opinion.

I just stated the facts pertaining to who is more knowledgeable about the draft. GMs and their scouting crews or the fans. It's not rocket science. I think most fans know this and don't get bent out of shape when someone mentions it.

Now when you are through making something out of nothing and bring something besides an argumentative side of things, just ignore me.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

No where did I say you are not allowed to have an opinion.

I just stated the facts pertaining to who is more knowledgeable about the draft. GMs and their scouting crews or the fans. It's not rocket science. I think most fans know this and don't get bent out of shape when someone mentions it.

Now when you are through making something out of nothing and bring something besides an argumentative side of things, just ignore me.

Have an awesome day

Just from some of the looking around at the different teams and doing some reading I feel confident the board is going to fall like this.

1.Josh Allen
2.Sam Darnold
3.Josh Rosen/Baker Mayfield
4.Saquon Barkley
5.Quenton Nelson/Baker Mayfield/Josh Rosen

So at 6 I am now starting to believe Chubb will actually be there.  I believe the information about the Giants wanting Darnold is true.  Chubb and Barkley are just backup options for them just in case Darnold is not available.  I believe they probably have good enough intel to where they feel pretty solid they'll be able to get Darnold though.    I also believe Allen is more of the type of quarterback Hugh Jackson likes and I think Dorsey has the same tastes after dealing with Mahomes.  They've got two solid options in Tyrod and Drew Stanton because they don't mind the rookie QB sitting for an entire year to learn the game just like Goff.  Only way I see the board falling differently is if the Browns draft Darnold.  In that case I'm assuming the Giants will trade out of the pick with somebody like Buffalo.  In either case I almost certainly see 3 quarterbacks being taken with the 1st 3 picks.

3 hours ago, Cynjin said:

Edmunds is not 21 and his birthday is not until May.

It asks on the top tweet how old Roquan Smith is...

22 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

LOL

Im fine, I truly am.

I am not perfect.

You completely took his post the wrong way. He wasn't saying you couldn't have an opinion. What he was saying is that the notion of "I really want us to pick this guy. Not at 6, but 8 would be fine" is silly. If you think he's your guy, you take him at 6. If you trade down even one spot, you could lose him.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Just from some of the looking around at the different teams and doing some reading I feel confident the board is going to fall like this.

1.Josh Allen
2.Sam Darnold
3.Josh Rosen/Baker Mayfield
4.Saquon Barkley
5.Quenton Nelson/Baker Mayfield/Josh Rosen

So at 6 I am now starting to believe Chubb will actually be there.  I believe the information about the Giants wanting Darnold is true.  Chubb and Barkley are just backup options for them just in case Darnold is not available.  I believe they probably have good enough intel to where they feel pretty solid they'll be able to get Darnold though.    I also believe Allen is more of the type of quarterback Hugh Jackson likes and I think Dorsey has the same tastes after dealing with Mahomes.  They've got two solid options in Tyrod and Drew Stanton because they don't mind the rookie QB sitting for an entire year to learn the game just like Goff.  Only way I see the board falling differently is if the Browns draft Darnold.  In that case I'm assuming the Giants will trade out of the pick with somebody like Buffalo.  In either case I almost certainly see 3 quarterbacks being taken with the 1st 3 picks.

One would think, that Cleveland will HAVE to start winning with all these early picks

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shive said:

It asks on the top tweet how old Roquan Smith is...

For whatever reason, the first part of the tweet did not show up on my phone.  It looked like he was saying Edmunds was 21.

• Like 1

I truly want to get behind Nelson

He is clearly the best Guard in the draft.... by a mile

My problem is what fills the rest of the bucket in round 2

If we go Guard in round 1

In round 2, the elite LBs (WL, MLB, ) are all gone, the elite pass rushers are all gone, the elite

safeties are all gone,  these 4 spots are KEY to make a Cover 2 work.

At some point, (if not this year) we need an elite player from one of these 4 areas to help our defense.

There PROBABLY would be a solid CB there, as well as a WR and one of the top RBs .... should be there

Tough call........