Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

From 6th to 11th Colts Mock draft

The no. 6 pick for Miami no. 11 pick
We get J'uwan James OT miami dolphins and Devante Parker two 4ths this year and a 2nd next year.

Why Dolphins do the trade with us
J'uwan James is a former 1st round pick who is rated as a top 20 at his position, but went down with injury and was replaced by a cheaper option.

Devante Parker is a former 1st round pick who hasn't performed up to his draft position. The Dolphins just signed a few wr and using Parker to move up to get a QB is better than waiting on a comp pick.

Dolphins choose Baker Mayfield at 6th and uses this trade to stay in front of the Bills and Cardinals for a QB.

Why do we do the trade

J'uwan James is a plug and play at the right tackle. If he leaves I believe we get a comp pick but if he stays we have options next year with AC being a free agent. Could James play left tackle I don't know but replacing 1 tackle is easier than 2.

Devante Parker is a riddle to me. He has alot of talent and hasn't played with anyone close to Luck as far as QBs go. He is in a contract season and he should ball out if he wants that contract. Regardless we get a comp pick next year should he not work out and Luck gets a weapon this year.

Worst case scenario these 2 players turn into a 3rd and 5th round comp pick which gives us. Two 4ths this year, 2nd, 3rd and a 5th next year to move down 5 spots.

1. Marcus Davenport DE

2. Maurice Hurst DT

2. Isiah Wynn OG

2. Jerome Baker LB

3. Chad Thomas DE

4. Fred Warner LB

4. Alex Cappa OT

4. Kallen Ballad RB

5. Issac Yiadom CB

6. Antonio Callaway WR

7. Kamryn Pettway RB (practice squad)

3rd A whole lot of Blue chip players:
We give both coordinators flexibility

RB (Mack, Turbin, Ballage. Micheals, Pettway)
WR (TY, Parker, Grant, Rodgers, Callaway)
OL (AC, Mewhort, Kelly, Slauson, James, Wynn, Good, Clark, Heag)

DL (Sheard, Badham, Woods, Steward, Ridgeway, Anderson, Davenport, Thomas, Hurst, Freeney)

Jerome Baker, Fred Warner along with Anthony Walker makes a young athletic LB core.

So thats our haul, a 4th and 2 potential comp picks?

If they play well they will want get paid big bucks and ballard will probably choose not to pay them.

If they don't play well we won't want them back.

I think with Mayfield on the board we should be able to do better than that.

• Like 2

I just dont see the value Miami would give us.  I'm not overly enthused about this scenario.

if we got 3 #2s to move from 3 to 6, i would want a deal more like buffalo could give .  I would only move from 6 to 11 if miami also offered a couple 2s (at least) along with #11.  A couple 3s , or less dont cut it for me. Now Buffalo's 12, 22, and a 2 and 3.... sign me up.

WE hold the cards, not Miami or Buffalo.

• Like 2

The draft hits some need points

Davenport scares me a bit, and I would grab Landry ahead of him, if he is still on the board 

AND........  Edwards, Smith, Ward are al off the table, which could happen

I LOVE Hurst and Wynn in 2nd

Deano

54 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If they play well they will want get paid big bucks and ballard will probably choose not to pay them.

Next year 2nd round pick as well. The dolphins should be picking pretty close to the top next year. This haul gives us a solid line and a possibility of a big body reciever with Parker. I looked at the Cincinnati Bengals and Bills swap when coming up with this scenario. Maybe I did shoot a little low

44 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I just dont see the value Miami would give us.  I'm not overly enthused about this scenario.

if we got 3 #2s to move from 3 to 6, i would want a deal more like buffalo could give .  I would only move from 6 to 11 if miami also offered a couple 2s (at least) along with #11.  A couple 3s , or less dont cut it for me. Now Buffalo's 12, 22, and a 2 and 3.... sign me up.

WE hold the cards, not Miami or Buffalo.

Appreciate the read. I think I put more value into the James and Parker aspect of the deal. James is a solid RT and he is young. Parker was compared to Alshon Jeffery last year by Cutler. I think Ballard really wanted Jeffrey last year and I know Reich knows how to use a player like him. Will they want to get paid, probably but I trust that Ballard will make sure they earn it. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

The draft hits some need points

Davenport scares me a bit, and I would grab Landry ahead of him, if he is still on the board 

AND........  Edwards, Smith, Ward are al off the table, which could happen

I LOVE Hurst and Wynn in 2nd

Deano

I see similarities between him and Anash from the lions. Heis long and athletic like Lawrence from the Cowboys and his skill set should be maximized by our defensive coordinator. 

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If Ballard traded for those players his expectation and hope is they DO play well.  And if they DO play well he will pay them.  There is nothing wrong with paying players who perform and then keeping them.  That is what he is trying to do.  Acquire young talent.

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If Ballard traded for those players his expectation and hope is they DO play well.  And if they DO play well he will pay them.  There is nothing wrong with paying players who perform and then keeping them.  That is what he is trying to do.  Acquire young talent.

Mingo, Melvin, and Hankins all played well and they are all gone.

We can try and justify it by them not fitting nrw scheme but I don't fully agree. Its easier for a cover cb to play zone than vice versa. Besides Ballard said he wanted Melvin back but didn't want to pay him todays prices. 

Mingo was a modest contract for today's FA salaries and woyld have been good competition to the LB corps. Isn't that what he preaches, competition at all positions?

Hankins is a solid player in all schemes.

The thing I think we may be overlooking is that draft picks aren't guaranteed. They also take time to develop, James is a proven commodity at the right tackle position. Parker has shown his worth when healthy with far less talented QBs. 

Chubb would have went somewhere in the range of Barnett last year. I'm ok with rolling the dice on Davenport when you insert these 2 starters. Also willing to pass on Nelson for a pairing of Wynn and James.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

We can try and justify it by them not fitting nrw scheme but I don't fully agree. Its easier for a cover cb to play zone than vice versa. Besides Ballard said he wanted Melvin back but didn't want to pay him todays prices. 

Mingo was a modest contract for today's FA salaries and woyld have been good competition to the LB corps. Isn't that what he preaches, competition at all positions?

I just don't get the love for 3 really average players.

*  Mingo - is now on what, his 4th team?  Let's not pretend that he is nothing more than a journeyman player who is easily replaceable.

*  Melvin - easier to play man/press than zone?  Perhaps but arguably the best Colts defender over the last 4 years was Vontae and he was demonstrably worse in zone.  Plus he got $6 million for one year.  Good for him but I don't think they are significantly worse, if at all without him.

*  Hankins - I believe them when they say scheme fit issue.  But I would also add finances played a role.  The day after he was cut I think he was due $5 million.  Argue all you want about the boatloads of cap space they had but that is a healthy chunk to pay a guy you are not sure fits with how you want to play going forward.

And none of these moves mean that all of the sudden they won't have competition at the respective position each guy played.  I heard Ballard this on JMV's show earlier - "we only won 4 games"  when discussing keeping some of their own free agents.  The inference - not in a hurry to keep players where we can get younger, be fiscally smart, and still get better.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I just don't get the love for 3 really average players.

*  Mingo - is now on what, his 4th team?  Let's not pretend that he is nothing more than a journeyman player who is easily replaceable.

*  Melvin - easier to play man/press than zone?  Perhaps but arguably the best Colts defender over the last 4 years was Vontae and he was demonstrably worse in zone.  Plus he got $6 million for one year.  Good for him but I don't think they are significantly without him.

*  Hankins - I believe them when they say scheme fit issue.  But I would also add finances played a role.  The day after he was cut I think he was due $5 million.  Argue all you want about the boatloads of cap space they had but that is a healthy chunk to pay a guy you are not sure fits with how you want to play going forward.

And none of these moves mean that all of the sudden they won't have competition at the respective position each guy played.  I heard Ballard this on JMV's show earlier - "we only won 4 games"  when discussing keeping some of their own free agents.  The inference - not in a hurry to keep players where we can get younger, be fiscally smart, and still get better.

melvin and hankins were above average last year.  

hankins was one of the better run stoppers in the league and the guys we are currently replacing him with dont get that much pass rush either 

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

So what does this have to do with acquiring players in a trade and then paying them if they perform.  You can disagree with Ballards moves all you want.  I think he knows a lot more about running a team than you, me or any fan on this forum.  Mingo is Mingo,  Melvin got a better offer.  Happens all the time.  Hankins didn't fit the new scheme.   Again what does this have to do with acquiring players in a trade and then paying them if they perform.  Nothing. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

Appreciate the read. I think I put more value into the James and Parker aspect of the deal. James is a solid RT and he is young. Parker was compared to Alshon Jeffery last year by Cutler. I think Ballard really wanted Jeffrey last year and I know Reich knows how to use a player like him. Will they want to get paid, probably but I trust that Ballard will make sure they earn it. 

I'd rather have an OL from the 2nd round at a FRACTION of James' cost. The injury history concerns me.  Especially after last year went (OL injuries)

42 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I'd rather have an OL from the 2nd round at a FRACTION of James' cost. The injury history concerns me.  Especially after last year went (OL injuries)

I want an OL from the 2nd. round as well.  It's not because of cost it's because we need more than one OL.  I don't care what James cost.  James is a solid, experienced young RT.  A second rounder is still a rookie with a lot to prove.  We have the cap space.  If Ballard gets him that means he wanted him and he is not too concerned about his cost and his injury history.  He's a young starter that fills a need IMO. 

I am intrgued by Parker. Very talented WR who has been disappointing thus far. Watched most of his college games at the U of L...and he was easily the best player on the field.

But James doesn't have value in a trade. He only has one year of control and he costs $9.3M this season. Cap space isn't an issue for the Colts, but it is for MIA. They are right up against the cap. They can't really afford to keep James this season, let alone re-sign him. But his cap hit is guaranteed, so they can't release him either, unless they designation him a June 1 cut and push half of that deap cap hit to next season.

They have to find someone willing to trade for James and his cap hit, since that team will be taking on $9.3M. Not an easy thing to do at this point. The Colts are in a prime position to help them with that, however, MIA has no real leverage and apparently no real market...otherwise I assume James is traded by now.

And I think Ballard would certainly use that to his advantage. I think he would look at this trade as getting one interesting young WR (if he likes Parker) and taking on some cap space for an expensive OL flyer. I think he would take them both, but I don't see him valuing that more than he would possible early picks this year and next.

44 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I am intrgued by Parker. Very talented WR who has been disappointing thus far. Watched most of his college games at the U of L...and he was easily the best player on the field.

But James doesn't have value in a trade. He only has one year of control and he costs $9.3M this season. Cap space isn't an issue for the Colts, but it is for MIA. They are right up against the cap. They can't really afford to keep James this season, let alone re-sign him. But his cap hit is guaranteed, so they can't release him either, unless they designation him a June 1 cut and push half of that deap cap hit to next season.

They have to find someone willing to trade for James and his cap hit, since that team will be taking on $9.3M. Not an easy thing to do at this point. The Colts are in a prime position to help them with that, however, MIA has no real leverage and apparently no real market...otherwise I assume James is traded by now.

And I think Ballard would certainly use that to his advantage. I think he would look at this trade as getting one interesting young WR (if he likes Parker) and taking on some cap space for an expensive OL flyer. I think he would take them both, but I don't see him valuing that more than he would possible early picks this year and next.

Interesting perspective. One thing to consider is the 5th year option for Parker. 

Even if James walk we should recieve a comp pick and he gives Luck some security. On the other hand if he flashes and gets hurt wr can try to bring him back on a cheap deal like Mewhort. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

Interesting perspective. One thing to consider is the 5th year option for Parker. 

Even if James walk we should recieve a comp pick and he gives Luck some security. On the other hand if he flashes and gets hurt wr can try to bring him back on a cheap deal like Mewhort. 

I am good with trading for both of those guys...I like going after post-hype talent. And I think Ballard would be as well...just not in lieu of valuable picks.

But who knows...it's not easy to find guys with 1st round talent outside of the draft...so maybe he would jump at getting them.

17 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I totally agree with this perspective. Taking James is doing Miami a favor. It requires just as many draft picks to get this done. Parker is a nice throw in. The Colts would still have to get Miami’s 1 and 2 this year and likely a 2 next year. 

Miami gets their QB of the future and some serious cap relief. The Colts miss out on the top talents in the draft but still get a potentially excellent player at 11.....hopefully LB Roquon Smith. 

17 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I think James does have value for the Colts in a trade.  Like you said we have the cap space and also if we acquired him we now have control and don't have to compete with other teams if he is released.  If he does work out they acquired an experienced young starter that could be our starter for the next five to eight years and we have filled a hole on our OL.  If he is released they would have to out bid a large number of teams for his services.  I'm not sure we would win that battle.  If he doesn't work out it cost them 9.3m for one season.  We essentially paid Hankins 10m for one season last year and released him.   So I'm not sure his contract is that big of a deal. Taking him as part of a trade could work out very nicely for the Colts and could also help facilitate the trade by helping Miami with their cap space.  Both teams need to feel the trade is beneficial for them and including him in the trade makes a lot of sense IMO.