Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots acquire 23rd pick

TdungyW/12

2 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

WR is not a need, CB is a lesser need, LB could use depth but t starters set if Hightower stays healthy.QB BE 2nd round.. they need a pass rusher the most

So Landry and a tackle...don’t you also have two seconds from the Garopolo trade. I could see qb rd two.

1 minute ago, JimJaime said:

Chubb suppose be the studd Pass Rusher

I don’t think they can get top 6 unless they are just trading almost all their picks. I’m not sure in this draft with all the qbs going that high and valued even Buffalo can get up high enough without throwing in a ton of picks.

5 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Chubb suppose be the studd Pass Rusher

I will say if you move ahead of us and get Chubb I will officially hate you guys. I dont right now even if I’m not a fan I respect you guys but that will just be too far if you take Chubb ahead of us...I won’t be able to forgive that on top of everything else. Lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I will say if you move ahead of us and get Chubb I will officially hate you guys. I dont right now even if I’m not a fan I respect you guys but that will just be too far if you take Chubb ahead of us...I won’t be able to forgive that on top of everything else. Lol

It would be so BB like making the Cooks trade in essence a Cooks for Chubb trade.  I could see the Browns doing it esp if we threw in the 6th rounder.. it is the Browns lol

14 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Lol wasn’t controversial just pointing out those two were gone or missed significant time. I as a Pats fan am ok with it since he more than once short armed passes he could have caught. With Edelman,Hogan, Britt and damn another WR who was good a couple years ago they be fine next year

Naturally your OK with anything BB does like 99 1/2 % of all patriots fans. :D

1 minute ago, JimJaime said:

It would be so BB like making the Cooks trade in essence a Cooks for Chubb trade.  I could see the Browns doing it esp if we threw in the 6th rounder.. it is the Browns lol

As it stands now Browns don’t need more picks. They need to utilize their draft capital. They need good players not more picks. I can’t see them passing on Barkley. Good try though you had me worried! Lol

5 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

I don't think Dorsey is as stupid as the past Browns GMs were.

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

As it stands now Browns don’t need more picks. They need to utilize their draft capital. They need good players not more picks. I can’t see them passing on Barkley. Good try though you had me worried! Lol

I was talking for the #4 not first overall.. and I was being tongue in cheek lol

OK, after this there is only one conclusion I can draw:  either they are acquiring picks to try to move up or they are going after Beckham.  Beckham doesn't seem to me like their kind of player.  He's going to want too much $$$ and that's not typically the route they travel.  So I can only assume they are looking to move up in the draft.  They likely have a guy they are targeting. 

Now, we all know he was present at Chubb's pro day and he seemed to like what he saw.  This is where my unfamiliarity with BB and the Pats comes in.  I don't know if it's BB's usual custom to work out players at their pro days or if this was a special occasion.  If the latter, that would be a red flag to me, especially with that comment he made about not being able to take him because of where they were picking.  That's just so BB to me.  Throw the smokescreen then slide in and leave everyone gasping.  This doesn't mean this will happen of course, but some of the dominoes needed are starting to fall into place, and I must admit I'm a bit nervous about it.

But I must admit I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist at heart.

3 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

I was talking for the #4 not first overall.. and I was being tongue in cheek lol

Oh they will take qb #1 I don’t think they would give up Barkley at #4. But I realized you were joking when you was talking about moving that high.

6 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

No I just know Brady can make any WR look average or better. Hell he made bug eyez Caldwell look good! Lol 

Good one. I agree. Didn’t Peyton throw to a Caldwell too in Denver lol...he was bug eyed too must be related. Yeah but when each has had elite talent they blew up the record books. With NE system though I agree it isn’t as important to have the most talented...I was surprised by the trade last year to land him...I just can’t believe you even got a better pick for him this year. Congrats!

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we deal New England #6. Ballard wants to accrue picks, and he has a lot of roster to fill out. I think he’s waiting for draft night to get another haul for 6. This could be it. 

If that happens I might fall on the sword.

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we deal New England #6. Ballard wants to accrue picks, and he has a lot of roster to fill out. I think he’s waiting for draft night to get another haul for 6. This could be it. 

If Chubb is gone I think we could move back...but Buffalo makes the most sense. Can’t see us moving that far back to NE.

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

Ballard covets piling up picks. He can get some good players, or even more picks with 2 firsts. If New England calls and offers don’t be surprised to see the rivalry not be so back on for one night. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

So Landry and a tackle...don’t you also have two seconds from the Garopolo trade. I could see qb rd two.

I truly think that is their target.

Then, if the Colts get #12 and #22 from the Bills, knowing that the Patriots are on the clock at #23, how many teams would clog our phones for the #22 pick? 

Like Bart Scott said "can't wait" :) 

4 hours ago, John Waylon said:

There is no way in hell we would give anything to the pats .... I don’t care if they offered their first, their seconds and a third! CB and irsay wouldn’t even think about it. Plus CB already stated he doesn’t want to move out of top 10.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Cooks isn't worth a first round pick rams got robbed.

Exactly J834, what the hades are the Rams doing? The 23rd pick is extremely valuable. Cooks isn't say Randy Moss in his prime for crying out loud. Talk about a head scratcher move...:scratch:

7 hours ago, w87r said:

Wonder what the Pats got brewing?

Maybe they're trying to ship a couple 1st to NYG for Beckham?

BB isn't going to go after OBJ in a million yrs. Not with his immaturity issues. Never gonna happen. They need to replace Nate Solder first & with Julian Edelman returning this yr. NE will be just fine at the WR spot. 

• Like 1

I am calling it now, the Pats will be a wild card team this year. Brady will finally show sign of age and Belichecks ability to put together winning rosters with nobody's will begin to diminish. They traded away the quarterback that could have been the future of the team. Next year 8-8 and than they will be a below .500 team until BB retires. Pats won't be good again for a long time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

It's just the draft AZC. There's no need to impale yourself even for an arch rival. I like your theatrics though. You know, for maximum impact. Cue the Quentin Tarantino music...Muppets style...

I'm in a goofy mood right now what can I say...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JimJaime said:

If the Bills get to #2 those two picks be enough get to 7 and get Changed B.B. per most of the mocks.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.    However, I don't believe 2 1st round picks Bills have are enough to move of all the way up to #2, especially for a Qb.  Now if the Pats want to add in other picks, then it's a possibility. 

Patriots own the NFL I swear.  

I think Belicheck has some sort of voodoo spell cast on GM's around the league that convince them to send him 1st rounders for marginal players.

Cooks is also known to cause problems in the locker room.  Now add that with some of the other players the Rams have like Suh and Peters.  

I could see this team imploding.  Too many problem guys in one locker room.

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I could be wrong but I don't understand this trade.

Cooks has 1yr left on his deal (~$8.5mil).  Aparently, Pats tried to sign him to a new deal, but he wanted too much for their liking. 

The bottom line here is that the Pats traded a 3rd for a 6th to gain 9 spots in the first round....and rented Cooks for a season.  (Remember that they traded #32 overall for Cooks last off-season.

While the Rams are loading up for THIS season, so far their plan seems to be focused on short term success (similar to the Eagles' attempted "dream team" a few years back).

From the Pat's perspective, they have gone into "rebuild mode" in a similar way they have done it following "bad" post-season performances in 2006 & 2010.  They now have 5 of the top 95 picks in this yrs draft.....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chad72 said:

Well, the Patriots never draft a WR in round 1, so it was beyond shocking that Brandin Cooks was even acquired for a first round pick. Then, the Patriots realized that Brandin Cooks is not their tough kind of guy to go down the middle and make contested catches like Edelman or Gronk or Amendola. He is not Randy Moss talent, by any means, and they got Randy Moss for a 4th rounder, for crying out loud.

So, what do they do? Get their money and draft equity back while his value is still somewhat high. Smart trade for the Patriots, and they can get their wide outs in rounds 2 or later and take their chances while they bolster their OL to squeeze what they can out of Brady in his home stretch.

As far as the Rams, good trade for them because they lost the guy who could stretch the field in Watkins. Robert Woods is an excellent #2 and Cooper Kupp excels in the slot, so they needed that #1.

Wonder if they are looking at any DBs in round 1?  That secondary was skinned alive in the Super Bowl.

19 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Cooks has 1yr left on his deal (~$8.5mil).  Aparently, Pats tried to sign him to a new deal, but he wanted too much for their liking. 

The bottom line here is that the Pats traded a 3rd for a 6th to gain 9 spots in the first round....and rented Cooks for a season.  (Remember that they traded #32 overall for Cooks last off-season.

While the Rams are loading up for THIS season, so far their plan seems to be focused on short term success (similar to the Eagles' attempted "dream team" a few years back).

From the Pat's perspective, they have gone into "rebuild mode" in a similar way they have done it following "bad" post-season performances in 2006 & 2010.  They now have 5 of the top 95 picks in this yrs draft.....

He wanted his money on the contract he signed. IMO he earned it.

I’m someone who can’t stand the Patriots......including BB. But I do believe BB is the best coach of all time.Amazing record. And also an incredible manager of his team’s personnel to keep them on top. This is just another example of him understanding they can’t afford Cooks’ salary and getting top $ for him instead of losing him for nothing. I’m actually sorry he found a team to help pull this off. I think the Rams overpaid but oh well... they aren’t the first to get Bellichicked.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chad72 said:

He is not Randy Moss talent, by any means, and they got Randy Moss for a 4th rounder, for crying out loud.

this is true but it was a salary dump by the vikings.  the patriots paid him about 10 million a year, big money for a WR in those days 

marvin Harrison was getting about 7.6 

19 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

this is true but it was a salary dump by the vikings.  the patriots paid him about 10 million a year, big money for a WR in those days 

marvin Harrison was getting about 7.6 

They got him from the Raiders. Yes, you are right, the salary dump made the 2007 year feasible for a 4th rounder. However, he played for just $3 million. The link I included says:

Moss underwent a physical this morning in Foxborough. He agreed to restructure and/or extend his contract to consummate the deal. He was due base salaries of $9.25 million in 2007 and $11.25 million in 2008. The contract he agreed to with the Patriots reduced his pay for 2007 to $3 million.

"I think over the course of my career, I've made a lot of money," said Moss. "I still have money in the bank. By me coming to an organization such as the New England Patriots, why would money be a factor?"

If I remember, Randy Moss was then paid $27 mil. for 3 years from 2008-2010. Marvin, for comparison, got $7.6 mil. in 2007 and $9 mil. in 2008

Ironically 2008-2010 was when they failed to make the playoffs in 2008 and had 1-and-dones in 2009 and 2010 playoffs, co-inciding with the Randy Moss contract. Then, they realized you cannot invest in a WR that makes a living going deep more often than fighting for contested balls underneath against elite Ds that will not give you much time. They went to the 2 TE model with Gronk and Hernandez, and have continued with the underneath game since then, the death by a thousand paper cuts offense, as we know it. :) 

That, again, was the reason, why it surprised me that they even invested in Brandin Cooks in the first place. 

• Like 1

NFL Rumors - April 4 Updates:
Comment on these NFL Rumors

image: http://walterfootball.com/jscss/Images/Logos/TRN/NEP.gif

NEP.gif The Patriots have interest in Josh Rosen. - Benjamin Albright, 104.7 FM Denver
Rosen and Baker Mayfield are the two most logical players the Patriots could be moving up for. It used to be widely believed that Mayfield would be the fourth quarterback off the board, but Tony Pauline reported that the Jets prefer Baker Mayfield, so Rosen might be the quarterback who could slip out of the top three. Some in the NFL are scared of Rosen because of his lack of love for football, and other various off-the-field issues, but there's no denying his pure talent. It would make sense for New England to make a move if he gets past Denver at No. 5. -Walter

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

NFL Rumors - April 4 Updates:
Comment on these NFL Rumors

image: http://walterfootball.com/jscss/Images/Logos/TRN/NEP.gif

NEP.gif The Patriots have interest in Josh Rosen. - Benjamin Albright, 104.7 FM Denver
Rosen and Baker Mayfield are the two most logical players the Patriots could be moving up for. It used to be widely believed that Mayfield would be the fourth quarterback off the board, but Tony Pauline reported that the Jets prefer Baker Mayfield, so Rosen might be the quarterback who could slip out of the top three. Some in the NFL are scared of Rosen because of his lack of love for football, and other various off-the-field issues, but there's no denying his pure talent. It would make sense for New England to make a move if he gets past Denver at No. 5. -Walter

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors

It is a rumor.

You don't ship Jimmy G that you drafted with a second round pick and turn around and draft Brady's replacement, giving up a bounty of picks just to get him at the top of the 1st. Not the Patriot way. Pass rusher or OL or secondary, I would be shocked if it is not one of those with the Patriots.