Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots acquire 23rd pick

TdungyW/12

Well, the Patriots never draft a WR in round 1, so it was beyond shocking that Brandin Cooks was even acquired for a first round pick. Then, the Patriots realized that Brandin Cooks is not their tough kind of guy to go down the middle and make contested catches like Edelman or Gronk or Amendola. He is not Randy Moss talent, by any means, and they got Randy Moss for a 4th rounder, for crying out loud.

So, what do they do? Get their money and draft equity back while his value is still somewhat high. Smart trade for the Patriots, and they can get their wide outs in rounds 2 or later and take their chances while they bolster their OL to squeeze what they can out of Brady in his home stretch.

As far as the Rams, good trade for them because they lost the guy who could stretch the field in Watkins. Robert Woods is an excellent #2 and Cooper Kupp excels in the slot, so they needed that #1.

• Like 3

Just now, runthepost said:

They are getting Barkley or Chubb :hairout:

Knowing the Patriots, they will get their hands on the best pass rusher (Harold Landry, their Boston guy) or an OL that may drop, that is how I see them going. Skill position - not a chance.

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I could be wrong but I don't understand this trade.

According to Shefter....

The Rams get a top WR to replace Watkins at a fraction of the cost (picks) and salary)  that OBJ would've.

The Pats get a 1 and a 4.    They were willing to move on from Cooks when his asking price got too high.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Cooks isn't worth a first round pick rams got robbed.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Patriots got robbed by the Saints, they turned around and robbed the Rams. Rams gave up too much.

Cooks- Last season. -65 catches-1,082 yds-16.6 avg per catch-7 TDs-18 catches over 20 yds- 42 first downs.

That's with Gronk, Edelman and Hogan too.

Nah, I still don't think this was a good trade.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

According to Shefter....

The Rams get a top WR to replace Watkins at a fraction of the cost (picks) and salary)  that OBJ would've.

The Pats get a 1 and a 4.    They were willing to move on from Cooks when his asking price got too high.

The Pats got a 1st and a 6th.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Cooks- Last season. -65 catches-1,082 yds-16.6 avg per catch-7 TDs-18 catches over 20 yds- 42 first downs.

Edelman was injured last year.

This is all part of Ballard's plan.  He'll trade back with the Bills to get picks 12 and 22, then use the 22nd pick on the prospect the Pats want right before they get to pick.  With how the McDaniels situation went, he'll probably want until 10 seconds left on the clock to submit the pick too.  Go get 'em, Ballard!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah, true but I still don't like the trade. Just think, the Pats have Dorsett to take his place.

Meh, they haven't had a good deep threat for most of this decade. Just not needed in their offense. Their WR depth isn't looking too good though as they have two guys coming off season which they lost due to injuries, Hogan and then Dorsett. And they haven't been good at drafting receivers. But 1st round pick and cap savings are pretty nice for 1 year of Cooks. LT is their biggest concern.

5 minutes ago, Finball said:

Meh, they haven't had a good deep threat for most of this decade. Just not needed in their offense. Their WR depth isn't looking too good though as they have two guys coming off season which they lost due to injuries, Hogan and then Dorsett. And they haven't been good at drafting receivers. But 1st round pick and cap savings are pretty nice for 1 year of Cooks. LT is their biggest concern.

42 first downs out of 65 catches showed he wasn't being used down field.

29 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

42 first downs out of 65 catches showed he wasn't being used down field.

He was tied for 6th highest average depth of yards per target among all receivers in the league last year, per nextgenstats (min. 43 targets).

23 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

And you wonder why I don't like the trade? 

Um.. yes? He was used as a deep threat, Brady took a ton of hits last year, lost their LT, defense is in desperate need of talent and their offense has produced very well in the past despite losing/missing key players due to injuries and they weren't going to pay him market value deal.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

No Edelman and Hogan missed the last 4 games.

1 minute ago, JimJaime said:

No Edelman and Hogan missed the last 4 games.

All the more reason to keep Cook then.

Look, all I said I didn't like the trade. I didn't know it would turn into this big of a deal.

I had no clue my opinion was so controversial.

Just now, dgambill said:

Usually the Pats trade out of first round but they have several needs after this free agency. Wr, LT, cb, lb, and a replacement qb at some point. Maybe they finally start using their draft capital.

WR is not a need, CB is a lesser need, LB could use depth but t starters set if Hightower stays healthy.QB BE 2nd round.. they need a pass rusher the most

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

If the Bills get to #2 those two picks be enough get to 7 and get Changed B.B. per most of the mocks.

Who would they be targeting that high? I can see a tackle in the first but I would think they will be interested in a qb at some point in first couple rounds too.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

All the more reason to keep Cook then.

Look, all I said I didn't like the trade. I didn't know it would turn into this big of a deal.

I had no clue my opinion was so controversial.

Lol wasn’t controversial just pointing out those two were gone or missed significant time. I as a Pats fan am ok with it since he more than once short armed passes he could have caught. With Edelman,Hogan, Britt and damn another WR who was good a couple years ago they be fine next year

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Who would they be targeting that high? I can see a tackle in the first but I would think they will be interested in a qb at some point in first couple rounds too.

Chubb suppose be the studd Pass Rusher