Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What’s the Plan B for DE in the draft?

There’s now reason to believe we won’t get Chubb. The question is what to do if we don’t. Davenport might go round one, and I’m not one of the people who think we’re going to trade down with the Bills do he’s off the table. Do we grab a not as elite DE project or wait until 2019? Next year could feature Clelin Ferrell and Nick Bosa.

10 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

There’s now reason to believe we won’t get Chubb. The question is what to do if we don’t. Davenport might go round one, and I’m not one of the people who think we’re going to trade down with the Bills do he’s off the table. Do we grab a not as elite DE project or wait until 2019? Next year could feature Clelin Ferrell and Nick Bosa.

Nick Bosa sounds good to me.

16 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

So you think we will be 4-12 again?  Don't think it's likely unless Luck gets hurt.

Don't think we will be in range to get either one of those.

Dorance Armstrong and Rasheem Green could be good candidates too in this current draft. 

It will also be curious to see how much Arden Key drops, like Tim Williams did, in a previous draft, to possibly late round 2 or round 3???

• Like 1

I think Sam Hubbard will there at the top of the 2nd.   Dorance Armstrong is another option. Arden Key is another option.  Landry could drop to the 2nd but my sense is he'll go in the 1st.  Other guys like Lorenzo Carter maybe.  Ogbonnia Okoronkwo.

Hubbard, Key, Rasheem Greene and Armstrong would be my day 2-3 targets if Landry isn't there.

• Like 7

Harold Landry

Sam Hubbard

Arden Key 

Chad Thomas

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo

Hercules Mata'afa

Adeniyi Olasunkanmi

Jeff Holland

Marcus Davenport 

Josh Sweat

Lorenzo Carter

Javon Rolland Jones

Definitely a lot of talent outside of Chubb 

• Like 4

If we don't get Chubb round 1, or Landry late round 1 early 2, then I'd rather wait and get a Chad Thomas or someone similar later in the draft. The pass rusher fall off pretty fast once you get past Chubb and Landry in my opinion. And I'm not even sure Landry fits the 4-3. 

I'm more skeptical on Davenport due to the talent level he played against. 

Chubb isn't going at 2. The Giants are almost certainly taking a QB at 2 and here's why. They could of traded down with the Jets to 6 and still got Chubb if they wanted. Instead, they stayed put at 2. Why is that? Because they want a QB! There's no question they are taking a QB at 2 and it's not even close at this point. Even if Cleveland takes their guy, they have more than one QB lined up or they would of traded down.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Chubb isn't going at 2. The Giants are almost certainly taking a QB at 2 and here's why. They could of traded down with the Jets to 6 and still got Chubb if they wanted. Instead, they stayed put at 2. Why is that? Because they want a QB! There's no question they are taking a QB at 2 and it's not even close at this point. Even if Cleveland takes their guy, they have more than one QB lined up or they would of traded down.

The Giants might be looking for a QB but your logic is not that solid.  If the Jets moved up and swapped with the Giants than we would still be at #3.  We more than likely would take Chubb.  So the Giants would not be guaranteed anything at #6, just like us currently.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

The Giants might be looking for a QB but your logic is not that solid.  If the Jets moved up and swapped with the Giants than we would still be at #3.  We more than likely would take Chubb.  So the Giants would not be guaranteed anything at #6, just like us currently.  

That's true, but then we could easily take Nelson as well, and the Giants would know we needed a G. That would also up more likelyhood for a QB as well to fall to 6 to the Giants if they didn't get Chubb. Literally everyone is open for them. We don't have a QB as an option for us.

I can see Barkley, Chubb, and Nelson being the outliers.  You more than likely will see 3 or 4 QB's drafted within the top-6 picks imo.  Browns, Giants, Jets, and Broncos all look to improve their QB spot with a potential franchise guy.  So other than the Browns (Barkley) and their #4 pick, I see Chubb and Nelson being there for us personally.  But who knows, this year the draft might be a little crazy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

I can see Barkley, Chubb, and Nelson being the outliers.  You more than likely will see 3 or 4 QB's drafted within the top-6 picks imo.  Browns, Giants, Jets, and Broncos all look to improve their QB spot with a potential franchise guy.  So other than the Browns (Barkley) and their #4 pick, I see Chubb and Nelson being there for us personally.  But who knows, this year the draft might be a little crazy.

I think Chubb has an over 50% chance of falling as of now. More than likely 3 QBs go in the first 5 picks, the Browns take Barkley and the Broncos take Nelson. The other scenario is that the Browns take the Giants top QB, they panic and take Barkley, the Jets take a QB, the Browns take Minkah, and the Broncos take a QB or Nelson. Chubb seems like the odd man out to fall to 6 unless a weird scenario with a trade happens to change things up, which could happen.

Josh Sweat if he drops to round 3 or to our last pick in the 2nd.

Kylie Fitts in 5th+ rounds...

Kemoko Turay in 4th+ rounds...

Arden Key in 3d+ if he checks out off the field... 

Harold Landry if we trade down to 12

Marcus Davenport if he drops to the second?

Kentavious Street in 5th+

Duke Ejiofor in 4th +

Ade Aruna in 6th +

Those are some of the names on my radar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I think Sam Hubbard will there at the top of the 2nd.   Dorance Armstrong is another option. Arden Key is another option.  Landry could drop to the 2nd but my sense is he'll go in the 1st.  Other guys like Lorenzo Carter maybe.  Ogbonnia Okoronkwo.

Hubbard, Key, Rasheem Greene and Armstrong would be my day 2-3 targets if Landry isn't there.

Would you take Landry at 12 or 22 if we trade back? 

14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Jason doesn't take kindly to people who joke around here! :) 

well that's not even remotely true :P  but with the nonsense that gets posted here on a daily basis, if there's no clear indication in the post that it's a joke (which there wasn't) then there's no way to distinguish the nonsense from the jokes. :P

• Thanks 1

Just now, J@son said:

well that's not even remotely true :P  but with the nonsense that gets posted here on a daily basis, if there's no clear indication in the post that it's a joke (which there wasn't) then there's no way to distinguish the nonsense from the jokes. :P

Oh I'm messing with you. There's a guy on South Park who says "we don't take kindly to your type around here". So I rearranged it into something else. lol.

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Would you take Landry at 12 or 22 if we trade back? 

I'm feeling like maybe Roquan Smith is still on the board around 12  and maybe to a lesser extent Edmunds so one of them  would probably be my pick.    Landry at 22 sure.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Oh I'm messing with you. There's a guy on South Park who says "we don't take kindly to your type around here". So I rearranged it into something else. lol.

oh yeah I remember that episode and I did get a laugh from the reference :D lol

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think Chubb has an over 50% chance of falling as of now. More than likely 3 QBs go in the first 5 picks, the Browns take Barkley and the Broncos take Nelson. The other scenario is that the Browns take the Giants top QB, they panic and take Barkley, the Jets take a QB, the Browns take Minkah, and the Broncos take a QB or Nelson. Chubb seems like the odd man out to fall to 6 unless a weird scenario with a trade happens to change things up, which could happen.

Browns could very easily take Chubb at 4. In fact they would be smart to, much more premium position than a RB at 4. Chubb and Garret together will help you win in that division more than Barkley may.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Browns could very easily take Chubb at 4. In fact they would be smart to, much more premium position than a RB at 4. Chubb and Garret together will help you win in that division more than Barkley may.

I don't buy it. Technically it could happen, but I'd bet any amount of money against it. That's the last person I'd expect them to go for.

Ballard said he thinks about worst case scenario first which he said would be 2 QB's taken ahead of him, so my guess is the following:

Plan A:  Only 2 QB's taken ahead of pick 6 meaning Barkley Chubb & Nelson likely gone, it's your guess who we take (See Plan E)

Plan B: 3 QB's taken ahead of pick 6 meaning Barkely & Chubb likley gone, we take Nelson

Plan C: 4 QB's taken ahead of pick 6 meaning Barkley likely gone, we take Chubb

Plan D: Luck has a set-back prior to April 26th draft (shoulder pain), we acquire a QB @ 6 and are thrown into a bit of a tail-spin.  (Very unlikely).

Plan E:  If Plan A, and we don't have a ringer in a need position available, trade further down to get more picks.

I think if we don't get Chubb first round (or Davenport/Landry) if we trade down, chances are very very good that we pick up a pass-rusher in the second or third round. 

Teams don't always need a star pass-rusher to win. Many teams do it by committee and if we can get multiple solid pass-rushers on our team like Simon and Sheard (along with whatever development Basham might show), then we will be fine. Shoutout to Hurst, keep an eye on him. My gut tells me the Colts are looking at him and hoping they are in a good position (and good value) to pick him up. If we trade down in the first or if he starts falling, the Colts would be a GREAT fit. He is a quick, first-step disrupting interior lineman who can play in our "quick" 4-3 defense. 

Remember guys, the idea is that we don't necessarily need to jump from worst to best in one straight go. Last year's free agency with Sheard and Simon suggested otherwise. If we can get back to average this upcoming year, that would be completely fine with me if we use the 1st (or other premium picks) to plug other holes like ILB, OL, etc. 

14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't buy it. Technically it could happen, but I'd bet any amount of money against it. That's the last person I'd expect them to go for.

Explain?   I think what you may point out that nobody is discussing is the effort Cleveland is making to aquire Junior Gallett.  If they do that I think there isn't much chance they go with Chubb with that #4 pick.

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

Explain?   I think what you may point out that nobody is discussing is the effort Cleveland is making to aquire Junior Gallett.  If they do that I think there isn't much chance they go with Chubb with that #4 pick.

I typed a two paragraph answer that the internet going out for a split second while sending just erased. You are assuming Cleveland will draft for need. I doubt it. That's a common misconception on this site. Everyone tries to draft for need. You sign FA's for need, and draft BPA around them to create the best team possible. Barkley is possibly the BPA in the draft. They are going for him if there. Minkah and Derwin are connected to them, I believe they have a better chance of going to the Browns instead of Chubb. Nelson I don't have a read on for the Browns. They could also trade down from either 1 or 4. Either one means no Chubb. 

Like I said, there probably has to be a trade to either have a mystery team take Chubb, or to shake up the draft to make someone change plans and take Chubb. I think everyone has their favorites right now, and Chubb is the odd man out. I can literally see every team ahead of us going with 2 or more people that will be there over Chubb. He could go before us, but the odds are over 50% he'll be there for us, and he is by far the most likely person to fall to 6.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I typed a two paragraph answer that the internet going out for a split second while sending just erased. You are assuming Cleveland will draft for need. I doubt it. That's a common misconception on this site. Everyone tries to draft for need. You sign FA's for need, and draft BPA around them to create the best team possible. Barkley is possibly the BPA in the draft. They are going for him if there. Minkah and Derwin are connected to them, I believe they have a better chance of going to the Browns instead of Chubb. Nelson I don't have a read on for the Browns. They could also trade down from either 1 or 4. Either one means no Chubb. 

Like I said, there probably has to be a trade to either have a mystery team take Chubb, or to shake up the draft to make someone change plans and take Chubb. I think everyone has their favorites right now, and Chubb is the odd man out. I can literally see every team ahead of us going with 2 or more people that will be there over Chubb. He could go before us, but the odds are over 50% he'll be there for us, and he is by far the most likely person to fall to 6.

How would Chubb be for need?   They have Myles Garett so it would be a Luxury Pick.    BPA means Best Player Available yes, but what plays into that is the particular team that is picking.   BPA for one team may not be BPA to another team and their criterias.  There's been plenty of teams that have selected players nobody connected them to over the years so I don't know how much stock to put into that.  And of course I'd love and have no problem if Chubb fell to us so I don't have a big issue.  Just wanted to see what your thinking is.

In the latest Irsay interview he commented on  the trade down to #6 with the Jets and how Ballard & himself still wanting to get a blue chip player at that spot.  He said ether  Defensive end, offensive lineman, or running back.

obviously no names mentioned, but you can see  what their wish list is at #6 is. Or it could be a smoke screen to other needy teams to offer them a trade for the #6 pick 

And that's the Wild Card, right there.  The Cleveland Browns.  No matter what you predict they might do, or what you think they ought to do, the Browns always find a way to screw it all up.  It's 6 to 5 and pick 'em whether or not the Browns take Chubb.  We really won't know until our we're on the clock.

Back to the OP:

I think that both Mata'Afa and Landry could put on 10 pounds, still maintain their upfield getoff, and become "light" DE's.