Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denzelle ward

Could this be a possibility?

ward,wilson,hairston,desir,hooker,geathers, farley would be a SOLID backfield for years.  I'm thinking 2nd rd for CB, but if Chubb is gone and we pass on Nelson or he's gone, i think i like ward better than fitz.  i can see Denver taking Ward if no QB.

its REALLY  hard to speculate this year because trades could potentially affect pretty much every pick before us (1-5) maybe not 1, but 2-4 for sure. More trades do equal more choices for us, as QBs should go early.  

There are about 5-8 players that I'd be happy in first.  After about 6 or so, i get less excited about the game-changing ability.  Going to 12 and 22(?) with Buffalo worries me.  But more picks , used wisely (with a lil Luck) , could certainly offset that.

This draft may be the most exciting eince the Manning/Leaf choice.

its gonna be a fun ride.

2 hours ago, PowerballBlue said:

A Buckeye fan recently said he doesn't play up to his athletic ability.  A step down from previous Buckeye corners. Pass.

A Buckeye fan? One Buckeye fan? 

I guess that changes a lot. Crucial really.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Could this be a possibility?

ward,wilson,hairston,desir,hooker,geathers, farley would be a SOLID backfield for years.  I'm thinking 2nd rd for CB, but if Chubb is gone and we pass on Nelson or he's gone, i think i like ward better than fitz.  i can see Denver taking Ward if no QB.

its REALLY  hard to speculate this year because trades could potentially affect pretty much every pick before us (1-5) maybe not 1, but 2-4 for sure. More trades do equal more choices for us, as QBs should go early.  

There are about 5-8 players that I'd be happy in first.  After about 6 or so, i get less excited about the game-changing ability.  Going to 12 and 22(?) with Buffalo worries me.  But more picks , used wisely (with a lil Luck) , could certainly offset that.

This draft may be the most exciting eince the Manning/Leaf choice.

its gonna be a fun ride.

He probably is an option, he is the highest ranked CB in the draft.  He's young, 20, physically he compares favorably with M. Lattamore from OSU that went to the Saints and played very well last year.  That's not saying Ward will do as well, but I believe he will go in the top 10.

2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

We do have options

At this point, i've confused myself so much thinking about it, i don't know who I would take with the 1st pick overall.

There’s only 5 picks ahead of us but I’m right with you.  Overthinking it.  

• Like 1

Please no 5’10” corners. Is a great athlete that doesn’t play up to his ability.  I partially agree. If we can’t get Nelson or Chubb, I’d be fine with Minkah or trying to fleece the Bills out of both their first rounders and second rounders. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, James said:

A Buckeye fan? One Buckeye fan? 

I guess that changes a lot. Crucial really.

I get it, but when fanboys say pass, I take notice.  How many of us break down film?  We mostly go by what we hear from others.  I trust a forum member who is a Buckeye fan more than I do walter.com, ect. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Ward doesn’t fit the profile Ballard likes in corners.

He played a lot of press man too, which we are kind of getting away from.  

His athleticism would fit ...but he doesn't have the height and arm length that Ballard obviously likes (Wilson, Desir). If you are looking at outsdie CBs in this draft, I think we need to be looking at taller, longer CBs that can jump...like Carlton Davis, Isaiah Oliver, Tavarus McFadden, Quenton Meeks. 

Despite his slower 40 (4.58), I am very intrigued by McFadden as a zone CB...and I would be all over him if he makes it to day 3.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Caleb Randolph said:

Josh jackson is my favorite Corner back in the draft, he is always around the ball. I like james as well, play alot like cam chancellor in the middle of the field, dude brings the heat.

Yeah, he’s a great corner, but he has little athletic ability.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, PowerballBlue said:

A Buckeye fan recently said he doesn't play up to his athletic ability.  A step down from previous Buckeye corners. Pass.

He's a step down from Lattimore but who wouldnt be.  He's better than Conley and worthy of a top 15 pick at minimum.  That said I'm not sure about his fit considering we will be playing much more zone now.

12 hours ago, Briggs32 said:

Please no 5’10” corners. Is a great athlete that doesn’t play up to his ability.  I partially agree. If we can’t get Nelson or Chubb, I’d be fine with Minkah or trying to fleece the Bills out of both their first rounders and second rounders. 

I don't get the love for Minkah (for us). He's either a ballhawk FS, which we used a 1st on last year, or a slot CB, which you don't draft at #6.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2018 at 4:11 AM, NextGenerationLuck said:

He’s  my third option if Chubb and Nelson are gone! 

Ward isn’t great... I’m a big ten fan and have watched him play.  He may be athletic but his dB skills are average to below average... hard pass.... of Chubb and Nelson are gone I’d go Edmunds or Smith.  Even at six.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, shastamasta said:

His athleticism would fit ...but he doesn't have the height and arm length that Ballard obviously likes (Wilson, Desir). If you are looking at outsdie CBs in this draft, I think we need to be looking at taller, longer CBs that can jump...like Carlton Davis, Isaiah Oliver, Tavarus McFadden, Quenton Meeks. 

Despite his slower 40 (4.58), I am very intrigued by McFadden as a zone CB...and I would be all over him if he makes it to day 3.

I’d take Oliver with one of the second rounders any day.  I’ve seenhim sneak into a couple of first round mocks but I think he’ll still be there 

• 4 weeks later...

Brian Billick did a mock draft on Path to the Draft today, and he had us selecting Denzel Ward at 6 with Edmunds, Fitzpatrick, Nelson, and Smith all still on the board. Not sure if Ward is the type of CB Ballard wants. Ward's height concerns me. Yes he is athletic but athletic doesn't mean you're a lock down CB. 

The really interesting part of his mock was, he had the Broncos drafting Chubb at 5. They have Shane Ray who is still young. Why would they draft Bradley Chubb when they need secondary help the most. They just lost Talib and their safeties are nothing to be scared of. 

On 3/23/2018 at 3:57 AM, tvturner said:

If we go CB, I want Ward or Alexander

Rather have Derwin James if we're going to the secondary though

I definitely agree with this. I don't want the Colts going secondary with the first pick, but the guy to take is James. He'll be one heckuva player. 

I doubt Ballard would spend a 1st rounder let alone a #6 pick on a corner.  Historically corners that play in  this scheme r 2nd...3rd round picks.  I bet he puts a lot of 1st rounders on the Dline. That's where it all starts.  He may pick a linebacker with a high pick but that guy will b seen as a Derrick Brooks...Urlacher clone. 

For whatever it's worth....

Ward's height has had been misrepresented for a long time.   Ohio State lusted him as 5'10".    But at the combine he measured 5'10" 7/8ths.

In the NFL, that's 5'11".   And quality 5'11" corners play in this league all day, every day.

Also,  just because Ward hasn't played zone, doesn't mean he can't.

That said...   I'm with the crowd that favors using one of our 2nd round picks on a corner.   Been in that camp since Ballard's deal with the Jets.   I think it's the smarter move...

I am an OSU fan who saw every snap that Ward had, including spring games.  He's at least as good as Lattimore in man coverage, he closes extremely fast on ball carriers, hits like a strong safety (for all you zone lovers), and he's clearly the most athletic corner in the nation.  He was the fastest Buckeye -- let that sink in.  His leap to deflect a pass, which Hooker snagged and returned for a TD against Nebraska, got Herbstreit's attention in a big way, Herbie pointing out "just how long Ward was."  The number of times there was noticeable space between him and his man I can count on one hand.  That should discredit at least half the ignorant comments made so far.

Just like many teams were stupid not to draft Hooker earlier than the Colts did, this kid would be a steal at #6.  My only complaint about him is that he's somewhat of a cheap shot artist... which will be great in the NFL!  He also snubbed the Buckeye's bowl game to protect himself -- not exactly the best teammate in that regard... oh well, Fournette and others would still look good in a Colts uni.  He plays with supreme confidence and certainly has an attitude.  He gives 100% a 100% of the time.

If he's there and Chubb and Nelson are gone, Ballard would be the village fool not to draft him.

I've seen Ward play,in person, also. I,m not a pro scout by any means,but here is what I have seen. He gets pushed around by receivers and seems to get tangled up in blocks.He doesn't track the ball,he relies on his speed to get to the ball later than he should.Like I said I'm not a pro scout,these are just my observations from about six games.

4 minutes ago, Samu-Rye said:

I've seen Ward play,in person, also. I,m not a pro scout by any means,but here is what I have seen. He gets pushed around by receivers and seems to get tangled up in blocks.He doesn't track the ball,he relies on his speed to get to the ball later than he should.Like I said I'm not a pro scout,these are just my observations from about six games.

That's an interesting observation.  Most of the reports I've read/seen talk about how physical his play is.