Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Antonio Morrison & TJ Green Set to Break Out

Alex22

Could these two guys be set to have a break out season?

They are both suited to the 4-3 and next gen stats says they are both fast players http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Two-Colts-Named-To-2016-‘Next-Gen-Stats-All-Rookie-Team’/02a09c3d-5da7-4883-a2cd-f5a2d32b6a20.

I will be intrigued to see how they pan out this upcoming season with the scheme changes. 

11 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

They are both suited to the 4-3 and next gen stats says they are both fast players http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Two-Colts-Named-To-2016-‘Next-Gen-Stats-All-Rookie-Team’/02a09c3d-5da7-4883-a2cd-f5a2d32b6a20.

I will be intrigued to see how they pan out this upcoming season with the scheme changes. 

If they do it will be a pleasant surprise to me.

5 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

I can see green possibly breaking out but Morrison is trash, I don’t see him making it through preseason. I’m really missing pound cake

Well let’s just hope they both break out!!! It would be amazing if they did! 

1 hour ago, Alex22 said:

Morrison is a two down thumper and really has no business playing in a cover 2 scheme. I don’t see it working out well for him. We should actually give him a mercy cut so he can try to find a home in a defense that better suits him. 

There is still hope for T.J. Green. I would like to see him line up at nickel in this defense. He is a huge Safety/Nickel and has the wheels to play in this system. We can move him around and try him out at different spots. 

53 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

Morrison just isn’t athletic enough to ever be a “good” linebacker. T.J. green has the athleticism to be elite it’s just more about unlocking his potential and putting him in a role where he can succeed.

Green has the instincts of a rock. I think he won't make it out of preseason cuts. 

18 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Morrison is a two down thumper and really has no business playing in a cover 2 scheme. I don’t see it working out well for him. We should actually give him a mercy cut so he can try to find a home in a defense that better suits him. 

There is still hope for T.J. Green. I would like to see him line up at nickel in this defense. He is a huge Safety/Nickel and has the wheels to play in this system. We can move him around and try him out at different spots. 

I actually thought that Green didnt play that bad when he was at corner last season 

45 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Morrison fast?

Yeah this topic is kind of sarcasm but the next gen stats seem to suggest otherwise. 

Was just raising the point to see what the general consensus of the fan forum was. 

Green was actually not terrible at CB last year when we had a bunch of injuries and tried him out at that position (when the whole Vontae Davis and Q Wilson situation was happening). He certainly looked a lot better than at safety....

The issue with him at safety is that he still can't recognize and react to plays at an NFL level while being back there. All the speed and size in the world won't help you if you don't have the instincts at safety. At least at corner, he put his size and speed directly to use (though I will admit he did get crossed over a few times). I was actually surprised by how decent he looked at corner. Especially because during draft time, most teams (if not all except for us) were looking into him as a potential cover corner type player. 

I suggest that (if we keep Desir and Q Wilson at the top of the depth chart and don't make any crazy new additions) that we try him out at cornerback again. I think a full offseason and a year's worth of practice playing corner could make him a serviceable cornerback in the NFL. If he learns to not bit hard on double moves, he could even pass as a starter.

His size and speed will help and he is currently stuck behind a crowded defensive backfield in Farley, Geathers, and Hooker (with a strong possibility of another piece through the draft). Just an idea...

16 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

Maybe as special teams players.

Green will not end up being a special teams player. He had only one year as a starter in college and done an excellent job. He hasn't had enough time on the field for the Colts to determine how good he could become.

To write him off so quickly is being too pre mature.

3 hours ago, Alex22 said:

Morrison is not fast. Idk why people think that. There’s no reason we should have drafted him in the 4th 

5 hours ago, Alex22 said:

I don't think either one stand much of chance of breaking out of anything except the NFL after next season.

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

He got robbed of an academy award for that role !

that "look" is better than BLUE STEEL

Wahlberg is such a weird beast.  I thought he was phenomenal in The Departed, really upped his game especially considering his surrounding talent, then in some films he is just a big block of wood (See Transformers).

9 hours ago, Alex22 said:

Yeah this topic is kind of sarcasm but the next gen stats seem to suggest otherwise. 

Was just raising the point to see what the general consensus of the fan forum was. 

Morrison averaging 18 yards to tackle reflects on how far downfield the runner got.
He was the on the field MVP last season in getting us the 3rd pick.
I hope we draft 1st in 2019 so start him again.

9 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Yep I mentioned before Green could excel in a 4-2-5 package, giving him a bit a flexibility. Morrison, im not too sure, hope he pans out for our sake.

4 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Wahlberg is such a weird beast.  I thought he was phenomenal in The Departed, really upped his game especially considering his surrounding talent, then in some films he is just a big block of wood (See Transformers).

He was great in The Other Guys.

I think he was intentionally bad in The Happening...and that was the point. He's not a great actor to begin with...so it was very easy for him to be bad in that role...same for Zooey Deschanel.

12 hours ago, Alex22 said:

I could see Green coming into his own a little bit with the new scheme, but Chris Ballard has said on multiple occasions that they'll be hunting for multiple new LBs this offseason, which doesn't seem to bode well for Morrison.

The problems with Green are fundamental. He takes bad angles. Doesn’t tackle well. Slow to diagnose plays, assess situations and react. Undisciplined. Those are things that coaching can help, but not really scheme.

The switch probably bricks Morrison. Cover 2 relies on fast LBs with good coverage skills. Neither of those are a part of Morrison’s game. 

They both suck. Green is a special teamer/backup Safety. Morrison is a backup LB, and shouldn't even be our main backup. Hopefully that's Walker. Morrison is a 2 down downhill thumper who.......Sucks. 2 wasted picks and I'll firmly believe that until I'm proven otherwise. Especially when you look at some of the guys we could've had instead of Green. A 2nd RD pick. Pathetic. Our potential breakout players are, and yes. We have a few. But..... Haeg, Mack, Anderson, Ridge, Basham, Hooker, Farley, Geathers, Wilson, and Hairston. Other than guys like Hooker, Farley, Geathers, Mack, and Anderson who have all shown what they can do, and are expected to be really, really good players. Especially Hooker. He should be a top 5 Safety this year. Expect no less. But yeah. Maybe we can get 3-4 kids to really take big steps forward and become household names. But other than those 4. Preferably Haeg at RT, Wilson at CB, Basham at DE.