Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BlueShoe's Post Trade (Colts/Jets) Mock

First Round
6 - Bradley Chubb, EDGE, NC State

Quenton Nelson is my personal choice here. However, I will completely understand if Chris Ballard takes Chubb. Elite defensive ends are hard to acquire, and we don’t know when we will get another chance to pick this high. It may turn out that Chubb is not elite, but I think we might roll the dice here. 

Second Round
36 - Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon
37 - Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
49 - Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State

I think Crosby is one of the most underrated players in this draft and he can play guard or tackle. Sony Michel, gives us a bigger back to compliment Mack. I know we just signed Ebron and we have Doyle, but that will not stop me from taking one of my favorite players in this year’s draft (especially if he is still there at 49). I have watched Gesicki be an under-the-radar player for a few years and I think he might be the best tight end in this year’s draft. 

Third Round
67 - Darius Leonard, LB, South Carolina State

I think Darius Leonard has first round talent, but I don’t think everyone else sees it the same way. It wouldn’t be the first time that I thought highly of a player, then he fell, and then went on to have a great career. I have yet to see Leonard miss a tackle. If he is there, then I would take him and start him at MIKE on Day 1. 

Fourth Round

104 - Josh Sweat, EDGE, Florida State

There is no doubt that Josh Sweat had an underwhelming 2017 season. Going into last year, I had high hopes for him and thought he would be Day 1 or Day 2 material. That said, he has recovered well by putting together a good draft-season. While he might not be a 3-down player, we can use him a on passing downs. Maybe kick Chubb inside or put them both on the ends and let them attack. This is good value if he is still available. 

Fifth Round
140 - Da'Shawn Hand, INT-DL, Alabama

I have no idea what is holding Da'Shawn Hand back from becoming a great player. Maybe he doesn’t understand football yet. After all, he is very young. His body type and athletic ability are exceptional, yet he was not able to become a full-time starter in college. He is not coming off the board early and this is where you take a player like him. There is so much raw talent to develop, if only a team can bring it out of him. He might be one of those late bloomers and be a steal for an NFL team. 

Sixth Round
178 - J.C. Jackson, CB, Colorado

Jackson is a physical corner who excels in zone. We can trust him to protect the edge. Get used to this type of corner with our new defense, folks. He is going to drop in this draft because he needed another year in school to develop. If we draft him, then expect him to play special teams and sit for a good portion of 2018.

Seventh Round
221 - Jack Cichy, LB, Wisconsin

Cichy, has suffered several injuries, which is why he might still be on the board here. Outstanding football intelligence. He diagnoses plays very quick. If he can stay healthy then I would trust him as a 4-3 SAM. The past few years, I've found a Wisconsin linebacker to pound the table for. I am batting about 500 too. They're starting to churn out some defensive talent. 

Praying we take a RB early in second would love to see Guice fall to us, but Nick Chubb and Michel are both capable of becoming stars in this league. Gesicki would be a steal at 49 just don't see us adding another tight end when we should be addressing our needs in O/D line or linebacking core. Gotta cross our fingers on Chubb falling back to 6 gotta imagine Denver and Browns at 4 taking a hard look at him.

28 minutes ago, Maliks Hooker said:

Praying we take a RB early in second would love to see Guice fall to us, but Nick Chubb and Michel are both capable of becoming stars in this league. Gesicki would be a steal at 49 just don't see us adding another tight end when we should be addressing our needs in O/D line or linebacking core. Gotta cross our fingers on Chubb falling back to 6 gotta imagine Denver and Browns at 4 taking a hard look at him.

I don't see Guice falling out of the top 20. He is just too good.

Let's face it though, Ebron is really on a one-year deal with an option to keep him for a second year. I think there is a log-jam of tight ends (early to mid second) and Gesicki could fall to us at 49, If he does then we would have to take him.

I kind of hope Chubb is off the board so we can take Nelson. I think we are going to have our choice between them though, and I won't be able to blame Ballard for taking Chubb there. He almost has to, because defensive ends are just too hard to find. I think Nelson is a slam dunk - can't miss player, but I see Chubb as a 60/40 prospect. The positional value might win out here.

I agree Nelson would be a great pickup, if we miss on Chubb I could see us taking Arden Key early second or hoping for Landry from BC to fall to the 2nd day. You got any thoughts on a potential trade with the Bills, #6 seems like a great pick with all the QB's that will go early and I'd hope Ballard wouldn't settle for anything less than two 1st rounds and several picks down the road.

30 minutes ago, Maliks Hooker said:

I agree Nelson would be a great pickup, if we miss on Chubb I could see us taking Arden Key early second or hoping for Landry from BC to fall to the 2nd day. You got any thoughts on a potential trade with the Bills, #6 seems like a great pick with all the QB's that will go early and I'd hope Ballard wouldn't settle for anything less than two 1st rounds and several picks down the road.

I think it would take both of Buffalo’s firsts and two seconds. We might settle for one of those seconds to be in 2019. 

If Mayfield is still there then I would make that trade too. 

BlueShoe, really interesting draft. I've done my own private mocks, and the two guys I keep looking at in the 2nd round are Michel and Gesicki. I think they can both be long term impact players for the Colts. Two missing pieces here are a WR and a G. I might take a player at one of these positions in the 4th or 5th round slot, but that's quibbling. Nice mock. 

25 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I think it would take both of Buffalo’s firsts and two seconds. We might settle for one of those seconds to be in 2019. 

If Mayfield is still there then I would make that trade too. 

And as for a trade with Buffalo, while I totally understand the move from a pure number of quality picks standpoint, I also believe the Colts lose their shot at a true blue chip player. At some point, they have to get a few of these. For that reason, I favor standing pat and using the #6 pick for either Chubb or Nelson. I don't think you can go wrong with either guy. 

5 minutes ago, Hoose said:

And as for a trade with Buffalo, while I totally understand the move from a pure number of quality picks standpoint, I also believe the Colts lose their shot at a true blue chip player. At some point, they have to get a few of these. For that reason, I favor standing pat and using the #6 pick for either Chubb or Nelson. I don't think you can go wrong with either guy. 

There is definitely an argument to be made there. However, check out the 12th player taken in the draft since the turn of this century. It’s pretty impressive.

Factor in the quarterbacks pushing all the talent down and with 4 quarterbacks chosen in the top 12, it would be like getting the 8th best non-quarterback on the board. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

I don't see Guice falling out of the top 20. He is just too good.

Let's face it though, Ebron is really on a one-year deal with an option to keep him for a second year. I think there is a log-jam of tight ends (early to mid second) and Gesicki could fall to us at 49, If he does then we would have to take him.

I kind of hope Chubb is off the board so we can take Nelson. I think we are going to have our choice between them though, and I won't be able to blame Ballard for taking Chubb there. He almost has to, because defensive ends are just too hard to find. I think Nelson is a slam dunk - can't miss player, but I see Chubb as a 60/40 prospect. The positional value might win out here.

LOVE the Josh Sweat pick :cheer2:

17 minutes ago, Hoose said:

BlueShoe, really interesting draft. I've done my own private mocks, and the two guys I keep looking at in the 2nd round are Michel and Gesicki. I think they can both be long term impact players for the Colts. Two missing pieces here are a WR and a G. I might take a player at one of these positions in the 4th or 5th round slot, but that's quibbling. Nice mock. 

After the signing of Ebron it looks like we may not draft a TE very high. 

9 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I explained all of that in the mock. :D 

Not really but if you think so. Lol

I feel we we should look at Sweet with one of our 1st two second round picks cause he won't last much later than that. 

7 minutes ago, JRnINDY said:

Not really but if you think so. Lol

I feel we we should look at Sweet with one of our 1st two second round picks cause he won't last much later than that. 

It was explained very well. Just takes a little reading. :D 

Sweat going in the second is not likely, but anything is possible. Every team has a different board. It only takes one team to love a player. 

That said, I wouldn’t take Sweat in the second round. I know he battled injuries last year, but he really didn’t play well at all. He was ascending and failed to produce. He is good value where I mocked him.

Remember that our 4th round pick is not far from a 3rd round pick. All of our original picks are that way. 

NFL DRAFT GAME 2018
Logged in as: SolidGold

YOUR TEAM: INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
GAME OVER! 

Your score is: 20454 (GRADE: B) 

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 6:  Chubb, Bradley, DE, North Carolina State (A+)
Round 2 Pick 4:  Hernandez, Will, OG, Texas-El Paso (A)
Round 2 Pick 5:  Carter, Lorenzo, OLB, Georgia (A-)
Round 2 Pick 17:  Averett, Anthony, CB, Alabama (B+)
Round 3 Pick 3:  Chubb, Nick, RB, Georgia (A+)
Round 4 Pick 4:  Brown, Orlando, OT, Oklahoma (A)
Round 5 Pick 3:  Lazard, Allen, WR, Iowa State (A+)
Round 6 Pick 4:  Crabtree, Zachary, OT, Oklahoma State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 3:  DeLuca, Nick, ILB, North Dakota State (A)

Your Future Picks: 
2019 Round 1 Pick
2020 Round 1 Pick

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

There is definitely an argument to be made there. However, check out the 12th player taken in the draft since the turn of this century. It’s pretty impressive.

Factor in the quarterbacks pushing all the talent down and with 4 quarterbacks chosen in the top 12, it would be like getting the 8th best non-quarterback on the board. 

I get it. I'm just worried that the talent drops off after pick 8 or so. Pick 12 seems just outside the high end talent pool. If a Buffalo trade that is just too good to pass up is there, I won't whine about it. This team needs good players. Maybe Buffalo is so desperate that they trade both their #1s, a 2, and next year's #1. If that were on the table, you have to take it. Seems extreme, but Buffalo really, really needs a franchise QB. If they love Mayfield, I think he'll be there at 6. 

42 minutes ago, SolidGold said:
NFL DRAFT GAME 2018
Logged in as: SolidGold

YOUR TEAM: INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
GAME OVER! 

Your score is: 20454 (GRADE: B) 

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 6:  Chubb, Bradley, DE, North Carolina State (A+)
Round 2 Pick 4:  Hernandez, Will, OG, Texas-El Paso (A)
Round 2 Pick 5:  Carter, Lorenzo, OLB, Georgia (A-)
Round 2 Pick 17:  Averett, Anthony, CB, Alabama (B+)
Round 3 Pick 3:  Chubb, Nick, RB, Georgia (A+)
Round 4 Pick 4:  Brown, Orlando, OT, Oklahoma (A)
Round 5 Pick 3:  Lazard, Allen, WR, Iowa State (A+)
Round 6 Pick 4:  Crabtree, Zachary, OT, Oklahoma State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 3:  DeLuca, Nick, ILB, North Dakota State (A)

Your Future Picks: 
2019 Round 1 Pick
2020 Round 1 Pick

Love picks 1-2, not a fan of afterwards.

Orlando Brown severe reach. 19'' vertical, 5.85 40-yard dash.

Timed his 40-yard dash at the combine with a sundial.

I’ve got Chubb, Crosby, and Leonard in the same positions, and I also feel very strongly about each of those three.  The only things I really disagree with are Gesicki (I feel we already have a strong field of receiving TEs) and the lack of an interior OL.  We need someone young and talented to help Kelly anchor the interior.  I have Billy Price next to Crosby in the draft.  I like how he could start at OG and be a premium center if Kelly becomes a constant injury threat...