Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marlon Mack

TheMose

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:47 AM, Believe blue1306 said:

Mack is a STUD. How are you guys really dissing on him? You guys most not have been watching the same games I was. Let me point out a few facts

1. He was a rookie.

2. Last year the colts ran literally the same plays and the opposing teams knew we were going to run the ball.. Hints his runs for negative yards. 100% of the time we had less than 3 wrs on the field we ran. I mean come on! Plus on top of that I can't remember how many times he would bust a 20+ yarder and never seen the ball after that. http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2018/the-unbelievable-story-of-the-2017-colts

3. Matt taylor said the other day that Mack followed gore around constantly. Always with him.. Even on holidays. So what that tells me is hes learning from the best and wants to get better

4. Taylor also said that this whole off season hes been working on bulking up.

idk how you guys can be hating on him. The dude is a playmaker and WILL get better. Not saying he doesnt need another back by his side and not saying hes capable of being a 3 down back..yet. But he will be and he's going to light it up when his time comes. The guy can ball. Just saying. 

Stating the obvious is not hating. Mack is not an every down back. He can't block either.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Barkley wont be there at pick 6 but if he is, the Colts will take him.

I wouldn't be shocked or against trading down again if Chubb and Barkley are both gone which is likely. I think we can find a great running partner for Mack who can be more powerful than Mack (and I agree, we need a back who can block) with a later pick.  For some reason we resigned Christine Michael who is seriously undependable and our other power back who is only good on the goal line (having brain lock on his name, but everyone knows who I mean).  So we have 2 backs coming off season ending injuries and another who can hit a home run with a big hole or catch the ball well and go for big yards, but unless he can block he's not a solution on 3rd down even.   Barkley would have been nice, but the 3 2nd round picks were too good to pass up by a mile.  I hope one of the top 4 QB's is still around and Buffalo comes calling (if they haven't moved up to one or two or four.   Many are suggesting the Jets or even the Giants might move up to #1 to get the guy they want, so about anything is possible. We can get Guice perhaps if we're very lucky or more likely Chubb or the DB from Ohio State would be a good option.  It would be kind of funny to get the Chubb cousins both with our first two picks.  I could be happy with that.   

8 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I wouldn't be shocked or against trading down again if Chubb and Barkley are both gone which is likely. I think we can find a great running partner for Mack who can be more powerful than Mack (and I agree, we need a back who can block) with a later pick.  For some reason we resigned Christine Michael who is seriously undependable and our other power back who is only good on the goal line (having brain lock on his name, but everyone knows who I mean).  So we have 2 backs coming off season ending injuries and another who can hit a home run with a big hole or catch the ball well and go for big yards, but unless he can block he's not a solution on 3rd down even.   Barkley would have been nice, but the 3 2nd round picks were too good to pass up by a mile.  I hope one of the top 4 QB's is still around and Buffalo comes calling (if they haven't moved up to one or two or four.   Many are suggesting the Jets or even the Giants might move up to #1 to get the guy they want, so about anything is possible. We can get Guice perhaps if we're very lucky or more likely Chubb or the DB from Ohio State would be a good option.  It would be kind of funny to get the Chubb cousins both with our first two picks.  I could be happy with that.   

It wouldn't bother me at all to get a Chubb and Chubb combo at all.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Mack wasn't used last season because he can't block and had way too many negative yards when he was handed the ball. That is why Gore was used. Gore very rarely had negative yards when handed the ball.

He needs more reps .... someone doesn’t get better when sitting .... he isn’t coached properly. 

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:59 PM, NDcolt said:

On a 3-13 team, Mack was one of the HIGHLIGHTS!  I have NO clue what game these others were watching but I saw a FANTASY STUD if’s played on a team that actually wanted to WIN.  Stay tuned

Mack still has a lot to learn still lost yards a few to many times not hitting his hole and trying to bounce outside did get better at that as the season went on though .

2 hours ago, TdungyW/12 said:

He needs more reps .... someone doesn’t get better when sitting .... he isn’t coached properly. 

A player gets more reps by earning them. Blaming every problem the Colts had on coaching is used way too much as an excuse.

I don't care what RB you use, if he is considered an every down back he has to block.

Look, I like Mack and he is exciting to watch at times but he is not an every down back no matter what you think.

34 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

A player gets more reps by earning them. Blaming every problem the Colts had on coaching is used way too much as an excuse.

I don't care what RB you use, if he is considered an every down back he has to block.

Look, I like Mack and he is exciting to watch at times but he is not an every down back no matter what you think.

I’m not saying he doesn’t have his problems .... and I know he’s not the save all answer .... nor might he ever be .... but coaching has a huge problem. Pags didn’t play a lot of players that should have gotten their shots last year. But the only way you get better is by playing more reps. If he can’t get it done then remove him.

1 hour ago, TdungyW/12 said:

I’m not saying he doesn’t have his problems .... and I know he’s not the save all answer .... nor might he ever be .... but coaching has a huge problem. Pags didn’t play a lot of players that should have gotten their shots last year. But the only way you get better is by playing more reps. If he can’t get it done then remove him.

I think Pags wanted to win a lot more than any of us for obvious reasons.  He's being paid to win games not give players shots. They get better in practice and earn their shots and their playing time.  He played who he thought were his best players and who would give him his best chance at winning.  Even after all the injuries the players know who should play and who gives them the best chance at victory.  That's why they played so hard for him and he never lost the team.  You can question his coaching acumen all you want but believe me he played the guys who he thought could win him the game. 

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Stating the obvious is not hating. Mack is not an every down back. He can't block either.

Lol he’s played 1 year sparingly..now if this year he has those same issues then you can state this. He was a rookie it’s a training phase is not? Some are more developed some are not can’t judge off one year though 

3 hours ago, will426 said:

Lol he’s played 1 year sparingly..now if this year he has those same issues then you can state this. He was a rookie it’s a training phase is not? Some are more developed some are not can’t judge off one year though 

I guess you overlooked at what I said. I said he hadn't earned any more playing time that he got. Till he can earn more playing time he is not an every down back. Nobody has judged anyone. The facts speak for themselves.

I’d really like the colts reporters to do an interview with this kid and see exactly what he has done this offseason to get better and feel he has earned the starters spot, not just the next guy up since Gore has moved on. Has he studied film, if so, how often and what is he looking for out of the film? What are the top 3 things has he worked on from his review of last year and not just the regular mantra of just trying to get better every year etc... Has he worked on his functional strength, his blocking assignments, breaking down plays, where is he at learning the new playbook and can he be a 3 down player this year? Just no information out there from the actual sources. Engage Indy!

Idk... Sounds like I'm in the minority here, but if Mack continues to develop in pass protection then I think he could be one of the best backs in football. He was incredibly impressive last year, despite the most predictable offense ever.

An upgraded O-line, Andrews return, plus a full year of development...

I'm 100% all in on Marlon Mack as our feature back.

• For those of you who are on the "It wasn't the coaching, you have to earn your spot" bandwagon..
  •  
  •  
  • On 1st down in the 4th quarter, if a team is in a one-score game, they run the ball 53% of the time.  The Colts ran the ball 64% of the time, 3rd most in the NFL. This despite the fact that on 1st down runs they recorded just a 35% success rate (2.5 YPC), while they were successful on 53% of their passes with 7.8 YPA.
  • In these 4th quarter runs, an older Frank Gore posted just a 30% success rate. A younger, fresher Marlon Mack recorded a 57% success rate, but received a third of the carries that Gore received.  As the data shows, potentially due to overuse and wear & tear, Gore was clearly less fresh than Mack, but was still used 3 times more often.

I’ve heard the criticisms but I see a guy with potential. He can run through the tackles when we actually open holes for him. He’s versatile. 358 rush yards and 225 receiving yards as a rookie with limited play time. He doesn’t come down at any little contact. Catches the ball well and doesn’t fumble it a lot. Maybe we’re looking at it wrong. Maybe we should be finding a back to compliment Mack. Pagano should have played him more. I think he could’ve had 600+ rushing yards. 

PFF gave him a good review

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/marlon-mack/11898

Not bad for a guy who didn’t get much work. Him bouncing runs outside too much is fixable but it’s part of his style like how Bell comes to a total standstill sometimes.

43 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:
  • For those of you who are on the "It wasn't the coaching, you have to earn your spot" bandwagon..
  •  
  •  
  • On 1st down in the 4th quarter, if a team is in a one-score game, they run the ball 53% of the time.  The Colts ran the ball 64% of the time, 3rd most in the NFL. This despite the fact that on 1st down runs they recorded just a 35% success rate (2.5 YPC), while they were successful on 53% of their passes with 7.8 YPA.
  • In these 4th quarter runs, an older Frank Gore posted just a 30% success rate. A younger, fresher Marlon Mack recorded a 57% success rate, but received a third of the carries that Gore received.  As the data shows, potentially due to overuse and wear & tear, Gore was clearly less fresh than Mack, but was still used 3 times more often.

coaching was abysmal during Paganos era ... if they dnt get it now they never will 

7 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

coaching was abysmal during Paganos era ... if they dnt get it now they never will 

Mack's lack of being an every down back has exactly zero to do with anything the coaches do or didn't do.

Go take a look at the write ups from NFL.com, CBS.com and ESPN.com and all of them say that Mack is not an every down back.

Look, Mack is an exciting RB to watch but regardless he is not an every down back no matter how much you like him.

He is a change of pace RB and can be very effective when used properly.

22 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Mack's lack of being an every down back has exactly zero to do with anything the coaches do or didn't do.

Go take a look at the write ups from NFL.com, CBS.com and ESPN.com and all of them say that Mack is not an every down back.

Look, Mack is an exciting RB to watch but regardless he is not an every down back no matter how much you like him.

He is a change of pace RB and can be very effective when used properly.

i think mack is enough of a good back for CB not to use a 1/2/3 rounds picks on a RB to address other positions of needs. we could get a great compliment to mack or a really good back 4/5 rounds easily in this draft its so RB deep.

22 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Mack is not a bell cow rb but will thrive in Reich's offense. Reich

will work with Mack's strengths and not try to shove a square peg

in a round hole

I agree 100%. Mack is great at what he does.

He can be very effective when used properly. Reich knows how to use RBs as has been shown in Philly.

I don't understand why I am getting negativity thrown at me just for saying what I have seen out of Mack.

Mack will thrive as a tandem RB with another RB that can get those 3 or 4 tough yards when needed.

23 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Gore very rarely had negative yards when handed the ball.

And this was behind a terrible line....Gore was a master at getting 3 or 4 yrds with the slightest sliver of a hole, or no hole at all....I'm not suggesting that the Colts should have re-signed him, but if they enter the season with only the backs that are now on the roster, I'm afraid it will become painfully clear how valuable Gore was.

1 minute ago, egg said:

And this was behind a terrible line....Gore was a master at getting 3 or 4 yrds with the slightest sliver of a hole, or no hole at all....I'm not suggesting that the Colts should have re-signed him, but if they enter the season with only the backs that are now on the roster, I'm afraid it will become painfully clear how valuable Gore was.

I totally agree. For Mack to be 100% effective he needs to be in a system like the Saints have with Ingram-Kamara.

I think for anyone here to say anything definitive about what Mack ISN'T, is jumping the gun. 

We saw a talented back being used in a stale, predictable offense, without it's franchise qb, and a below average offensive line.

None of us can say Mack has shown that he can't be a starting caliber back. Period. The statistics show that he was more effective than Gore on even fewer opportunities. 

Let's actually see what he's capable of before we write him off as some "change of pace" spare part. That's not fair to him, Ballard, or the team.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’ve heard the criticisms but I see a guy with potential. He can run through the tackles when we actually open holes for him. He’s versatile. 358 rush yards and 225 receiving yards as a rookie with limited play time. He doesn’t come down at any little contact. Catches the ball well and doesn’t fumble it a lot. Maybe we’re looking at it wrong. Maybe we should be finding a back to compliment Mack. Pagano should have played him more. I think he could’ve had 600+ rushing yards. 

PFF gave him a good review

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/marlon-mack/11898

Not bad for a guy who didn’t get much work. Him bouncing runs outside too much is fixable but it’s part of his style like how Bell comes to a total standstill sometimes.

Thanks for the vid.....Mack is electrifying. Everyone in the league could see his Big Play ability except pagano and a few posters here.

3 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:
  •  
  •  

Yeah what that staff did to some of the players is criminal. Mack was one of those victims. I’ve never seen one regime stifle the development of young players like Pagano and his crew did.

2 hours ago, waka waka said:

i think mack is enough of a good back for CB not to use a 1/2/3 rounds picks on a RB to address other positions of needs. we could get a great compliment to mack or a really good back 4/5 rounds easily in this draft its so RB deep.

I couldn't disagree more. We have extra picks in the second and we will probably acquire more top picks in another trade back.  CB took him in the 4th  last year and found a change of pace back to go along with Gore.  All of the better backs were gone by the time we picked Mack.  This year Gore is gone and I think the plan all along was to replace Gore with a new feature back that can do it all.  He's going to have a great chance to get one early now that he has acquired those extra picks. He's going to focus on getting Luck as much help as he can early and it just doesn't have to be OL.  A feature RB would do the job nicely especially with such a weak WR class.  Make no bones about it. He's going to take one of the top ones early and it will be the right thing to do.  IMO. 

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Thanks for the vid.....Mack is electrifying. Everyone in the league could see his Big Play ability except pagano and a few posters here.

Shady bounces runs to the outside all the time and he is stills a top 10 back. 

Different runners have different styles of play and if Mack ran like Gore he wouldn't last long. 

3 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

Shady bounces runs to the outside all the time and he is stills a top 10 back. 

Different runners have different styles of play and if Mack ran like Gore he wouldn't last long. 

If Mack ran like Gore he wouldn't last that long. Exactly what are you saying?

Does that mean Mack is not an every down back?

Back in Gore's younger days he did catch quite a few passes out of the backfield. But one thing that made him an every down back is he could block from day one in the NFL.

We have a pocket QB with Luck. His job by design is to find receivers. It is the main RBs job to insure that happens by blocking. Till Mack leans that trade he is not a #1 RB. That is not saying he is not good. All it is saying he is a change of pace back that has the talent to shine when used correctly. He would shine in the sense as to what Ingram and Kamara brings to the field. We need an Ingram type player.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If Mack ran like Gore he wouldn't last that long. Exactly what are you saying?

Does that mean Mack is not an every down back?

Back in Gore's younger days he did catch quite a few passes out of the backfield. But one thing that made him an every down back is he could block from day one in the NFL.

We have a pocket QB with Luck. His job by design is to find receivers. It is the main RBs job to insure that happens by blocking. Till Mack leans that trade he is not a #1 RB. That is not saying he is not good. All it is saying he is a change of pace back that has the talent to shine when used correctly. He would shine in the sense as to what Ingram and Kamara brings to the field. We need an Ingram type player.

He has shown he isn't durable like Gore and if he runs between the tackles it will shorten his career. 

There are not many every down backs left in the league and Mack is not an every down back. 

I am just saying we need an in between the tackles runner (like Gore) to compliment. 

I think Mack will be a very good running back though. 

8 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

He has shown he isn't durable like Gore and if he runs between the tackles it will shorten his career. 

There are not many every down backs left in the league and Mack is not an every down back. 

I am just saying we need an in between the tackles runner (like Gore) to compliment. 

Ah, we don’t know what Mack can become. Labeling a player off his rookie season isn’t wise. Just let it play out.

I do agree that we need another RB, though. Ideally, a trustworthy one in pass-pro.

4 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

If he is used to the strengths of his ability no doubt he will shine. To get the best out of him he cant be ask to do something he is not good at.

I’ve seen enough electrifying Marlon Mack plays that if you don’t see the REAL Slim Shady take it to the house resemblance, I can’t give you sight. ALL this with the worst OL, WORST staff & one of the worst QB’s in the NFL!  No, this COLT is not a bell cow type rb but can be much more dangerous than that, which I predict a top 5 fantasy stud with a REAL staff, REAL line & REAL QB.  Some of you couldn’t read talent even if you were listening to read along tapes but whose judging.  GO COLTS

13 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Ah, we don’t know what Mack can become. Labeling a player off his rookie season isn’t wise. Just let it play out.

I do agree that we need another RB, though. Ideally, a trustworthy one in pass-pro.

Agreed

How about 4th rd pick Rashaad Penny who I think is a STEAL?  Even if he’s a 3rd rd pick, I’m still convinced he is a STEAL plus we have those (3) 2nd rd picks to address whatever your panties are in a bunch about?  

37 minutes ago, NDcolt said:

I’ve seen enough electrifying Marlon Mack plays that if you don’t see the REAL Slim Shady take it to the house resemblance, I can’t give you sight. ALL this with the worst OL, WORST staff & one of the worst QB’s in the NFL!  No, this COLT is not a bell cow type rb but can be much more dangerous than that, which I predict a top 5 fantasy stud with a REAL staff, REAL line & REAL QB.  Some of you couldn’t read talent even if you were listening to read along tapes but whose judging.  GO COLTS

Mack? Top 5 in fantasy?

He’s not David Johnson, man.

4 minutes ago, NDcolt said:

How about 4th rd pick Rashaad Penny who I think is a STEAL?  Even if he’s a 3rd rd pick, I’m still convinced he is a STEAL plus we have those (3) 2nd rd picks to address whatever your panties are in a bunch about?  

1) why are you capitalizing “steal” ?

2) My panties are permanently bunched 

3) Chill

1 hour ago, Trueman said:

Mack? Top 5 in fantasy?

He’s not David Johnson, man.

All I’m saying is give MM a chance with a real coach, a real line & a real qb before taking his rookie stats for granted.  Yes, top 5 in fantasy with an approved all the above is my opinion, I’m sure you will take top 10 right?

20 minutes ago, NDcolt said:

All I’m saying is give MM a chance with a real coach, a real line & a real qb before taking his rookie stats for granted.  Yes, top 5 in fantasy with an approved all the above is my opinion, I’m sure you will take top 10 right?

Dude, I just want to see the kid get better. 

“Top 5 in fantasy” is so far beyond my realm of expectations.