Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jared Cisneros Post Ballard Interview Mock Draft

This is my first mock draft of the offseason and based off of Ballard's interview of what I think will happen. To simplify it, there will be no trades.

1.) Bradley Chubb DE: Pretty Obvious here, Ballard said he values Guards in rounds 2-4 and thinks they can be starters. So I'm going with the obvious player on defense whose pro day we have visited. As of now, a no brainer.

2a.) Will Hernandez G: More and more, I think he'll fall to the top of the 2nd round, where we secure him. A monstrous G that can move anyone, he would be an ideal fit on the O-Line to protect Andrew Luck.

2b.) Taven Bryan DT: A very explosive DT with lots of potential. Could easily start for us for 10+ years.

2c.) Rashad Penny RB: A kid I absolutely love that is amazing after contact. Great kick returner, has the size to make it in the NFL. IMO, the second best back after Barkley.

3.) Braden Smith G: Very solid, mauler type that can start right away. Very durable and dependable and the type of G we need.

4.) Jamarco Jones OT: A very safe pick that can immediately start at RT. Very good in pass protection, which is vital for Luck.

5.) Quinton Meeks CB: Solid size and potential for a CB, also son of Ron Meeks, who has history with the Colts. 

6.) Allen Lazard WR: An absolutely huge WR that is the yin to Hilton's yang. Should thrive with Andrew Luck.

7.) Brandon Facyson CB: Another big CB that is also very intelligent. Good chance of making an impact through hard work.

Agree or disagree? Let me know below!

I like the first 2 picks , but I don’t know the draft class well enough to comment beyond that.

I will say that we’ll probably have to address our linebacker position, which you didn’t do. Perhaps instead of a DT or RB in round 2 we should grab one there.

I will say a few of your picks might not be available.  Unless I am missing something big Facyson is seen as a 3-4 round guy, definitely not a 7th.  Taven Bryan might fall but he is seen as the #2 DT (3-tech), and right now Hurst still has yet to be cleared so he might fall into mid to late 1st just because of that.  Other than that rounds 4-6 might be there but I can see each going a round earlier.  Just my two cents.

I like it.  With Ballard just getting started in FA, though, I’m continuously making subtle changes to mine.  For example, I love the Hernandez pick, but a 2nd early OG just became unlikely with news of Mewhort’s signing.  The only thing I’ll say is that Penny has been described regularly as terrible at blitz pick-up, which may be a disqualifier for us (even with the new offense).  I’m having a really hard time zeroing in on a RB, but I usually end up going Josh Adams in the 5th...

11 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I will say a few of your picks might not be available.  Unless I am missing something big Facyson is seen as a 3-4 round guy, definitely not a 7th.  Taven Bryan might fall but he is seen as the #2 DT (3-tech), and right now Hurst still has yet to be cleared so he might fall into mid to late 1st just because of that.  Other than that rounds 4-6 might be there but I can see each going a round earlier.  Just my two cents.

This is fair criticism. In my defense, we have the top pick almost in each round, so I picked guys who could possibly fall slightly. It is slightly unrealistic, but definitely possible as well.

9 minutes ago, Archer said:

I like it.  With Ballard just getting started in FA, though, I’m continuously making subtle changes to mine.  For example, I love the Hernandez pick, but a 2nd early OG just became unlikely with news of Mewhort’s signing.  The only thing I’ll say is that Penny has been described regularly as terrible at blitz pick-up, which may be a disqualifier for us (even with the new offense).  I’m having a really hard time zeroing in on a RB, but I usually end up going Josh Adams in the 5th...

I did the mock as Mewhort got signed lol. However, that is definitely a good thing, so we'll see what happens. Penny has been my go to RB. I do like Adams as well though in the 5th.

29 minutes ago, Trueman said:

I like the first 2 picks , but I don’t know the draft class well enough to comment beyond that.

I will say that we’ll probably have to address our linebacker position, which you didn’t do. Perhaps instead of a DT or RB in round 2 we should grab one there.

We definitely need a LBer. I avoided it here just because I didn't trade down, and in this particular mock, I didn't want to take Roquan at 6. Chubb seems obvious right now with Ballard's interview unless we trade down.

7 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

If we go with your top two round picks, I’d be very surprised if there’s not a linebacker in the mix thereafter. 

Y’know, I think the 3rd round is kinda the sweet spot for LBs for me in this draft.  Supposedly, we could get either Darius Leonard or Shaquem Griffin with that pick, and both are great fits for the new D.  I like a lot of late-rounders too...

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is my first mock draft of the offseason and based off of Ballard's interview of what I think will happen. To simplify it, there will be no trades.

1.) Bradley Chubb DE: Pretty Obvious here, Ballard said he values Guards in rounds 2-4 and thinks they can be starters. So I'm going with the obvious player on defense whose pro day we have visited. As of now, a no brainer.

2a.) Will Hernandez G: More and more, I think he'll fall to the top of the 2nd round, where we secure him. A monstrous G that can move anyone, he would be an ideal fit on the O-Line to protect Andrew Luck.

2b.) Taven Bryan DT: A very explosive DT with lots of potential. Could easily start for us for 10+ years.

2c.) Rashad Penny RB: A kid I absolutely love that is amazing after contact. Great kick returner, has the size to make it in the NFL. IMO, the second best back after Barkley.

3.) Braden Smith G: Very solid, mauler type that can start right away. Very durable and dependable and the type of G we need.

4.) Jamarco Jones OT: A very safe pick that can immediately start at RT. Very good in pass protection, which is vital for Luck.

5.) Quinton Meeks CB: Solid size and potential for a CB, also son of Ron Meeks, who has history with the Colts. 

6.) Allen Lazard WR: An absolutely huge WR that is the yin to Hilton's yang. Should thrive with Andrew Luck.

7.) Brandon Facyson CB: Another big CB that is also very intelligent. Good chance of making an impact through hard work.

Phenomenal draft from the proposed players landed. However, a LB does need to be in the early mix. That position requires attention. Actually demands attention. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Love the value where you get these guys but I would make some changes. We need some drastic LB help and you didn't really address that. 

I would change 2c to LB Rashaan Evans or Malik Jefferson

I would change 3 to RB Rashaad Penny since I believe he'll be there

I too am thinking Ballard is possibly targeting Chubb round 1 and believes he could very well be there at 6 overall. 

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is fair criticism. In my defense, we have the top pick almost in each round, so I picked guys who could possibly fall slightly. It is slightly unrealistic, but definitely possible as well.

Yea I completely agree.  Facyson in the 7th, that is t he only far fetched scenario I see really.  But if this happened I would be happy for the most part.  Might want at least one LB, but we can't fix everything in one draft.

Nice draft JC!

I like the Braden Smith pick in the mid rounds. Was watching him play there recently and he is ready to go in the pros, very big, physical interior lineman. He lacks a bit of movement and athleticism, but a team can work around that. He would be a good pick for the Colts.

4 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

This is all true!

Solid effort.

I personally, would rather trade our 2nd for David Irving, and take Hernandez at #37.

I know there isn't any trades in the draft, but if we were to draft a DT with that pick, I would rather sign Irving to contract and give up the pick.

Really like Lazard to, I think/hope he ultimately ends up here.

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So all of these picks are going to start and ball for us?

Seems legit - I'd take that anyday

12 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It's a solid draft JC. I don't know about drafting a WR though. Like many have already stated, a LB would be more useful right now especially if our GM is looking hard at the Chargers for help in this area to fill voids there at that position. I like tall receivers & all nothing against Lizard, but we have more pressing needs than that right now. 

Regarding RB Penny, that would be tremendous if we had a special teams ace again since McAfee departed to pursue a career in standup that is. 

I like the list you compiled here. No real complaints. If your plan can into fruition, we'd be well on our way toward making Luck's life much easier as he returns to regular season ball. Good work. 

Would be very happy with this haul. Not crazy about going for three OL players that early, but I like the ones listed. 

I will say...if players like Hernandez and Bryan are still there on day two, it would be really nice to have a couple more picks. 

On 3/21/2018 at 11:22 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

I like most of it but I don’t thin Tabon drops that far.  I’d rather use the second third on an OT and get RB in the third.  No reason to draft two guards this draft aince we currently have somewhere between 7-9 on the roster and with the drafting of Hernandez 8-10