Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alliance of American Football Starts 02/09/19 + XFL

King Colt

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-l

A whole new football season will start right after the next Super Bowl.

A spring professional league, the Alliance of American Football, will kick off its inaugural regular season Feb. 9, 2019, and will include a modest broadcast deal with CBS, league executives announced Tuesday.

It is the latest in a string of attempts to create a new pro football league, dating back to the USFL, which folded in 1986. The XFL, founded by professional wrestling magnate Vince McMahon, played a single season in 2001 and shut down. McMahon plans to revive the league in 2020. The Arena Football League, an indoor product founded in 1987, plans to hold a 2018 season with just four teams, including in Washington and Baltimore.

“This [spring football] is a massive gap in the market,” founder Charlie Ebersol said in a news conference. “This is a marketplace of tens of millions of Americans who have been telling us for decades that they want to see high-quality football longer than the football season.”

[ NFL sets new definition for controversial catch rule ]

The AAF, founded by Ebersol — a television and film producer who directed an ESPN documentary about the XFL last year — and longtime NFL executive Bill Polian, will feature eight teams, a 10-game regular season schedule and distinct rule changes designed to speed up each game.

The Alliance will do away with extra points; instead, scoring teams will attempt a two-point conversion from the 2-yard line.

There are no kickoffs. The offense will take the ball from its own 25-yard line. Instead of onside kicks, the scoring team will have one play from its own 35-yard line to convert a fourth down and 10 play to keep the ball.

The Alliance will also have a 30-second play clock (the NFL’s is 40 seconds), replays will be limited to two coach’s challenges for either team, and there will be no television timeouts.

“The game will only stop when it naturally stops,” said Ebersol, whose father, Dick, is a former NBC executive and XFL partner.

The goal is to complete a game in less than 2 1/2 hours, and games will have 60 percent fewer commercials, Ebersol said.

[ Vince McMahon relaunches XFL, says it will have ‘nothing to do with politics’ ]

Team names and locations have yet to be announced. Players on 50-man rosters will mostly be those cut by NFL teams and those from other professional football leagues, like the Canadian or arena leagues. The league’s debut and championship game will both appear on CBS, according to a CBS Sports report, and CBS Sports Network will also air one regular season game per week.

ead/wp/2018/03/20/alliance-of-american-football-to-kick-off-after-super-bowl/?utm_term=.3b5a7b67af79

I like speeding up the game etc. Less commercials mean they don't need the advertisers. Hard to imagine how they afford to pay them. Not sure the market for this is there if there unless they get some big names. Quality on the field in the end will determine its success. Surprised they don't go to like 7 man or 8 man game. Going to be hard to find quality and depth to play a regular 11 man game imo.

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I like speeding up the game etc. Less commercials mean they don't need the advertisers. Hard to imagine how they afford to pay them. Not sure the market for this is there if there unless they get some big names. Quality on the field in the end will determine its success. Surprised they don't go to like 7 man or 8 man game. Going to be hard to find quality and depth to play a regular 11 man game imo.

They’ll have plenty of depth. Not quality like the NFL but they’ll have enough players. Lots of D1 players who didn’t make it to the NFL will want to join. I doubt players get paid very much though. Probably most will get around 50k-80k a season. It will probable fizzle out in a few years like all the other leagues. 

2 hours ago, DraftMaster said:

It will be interesting to see the XFL vs AAF...

The general consensus is the AAF will be the death of the XFL because it starts earlier in the year. Besides I would put Bill Polian up against Vince McMahon any day of the week.

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

Less commercials mean they don't have advertisers..

Like when  radio stations give you a special gift of '2 hours of commercial-free music'!!!!! after the holidays.

The truth is: All the Christmas sponsors they had....Their contracts all ran out

18 hours ago, dgambill said:

Not that I think it will succeed overall but they could take a page out of the playbook for broadcasting soccer games and run visual advertisements near the scoreboard during the game.  

That said this sort of thing has been attempted so many times in the past and I just don't see any reason why it will be successful this time.  

And it will further hurt that they will potentially be competing with the XFL as well after their first season.  

49 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Not that I think it will succeed overall but they could take a page out of the playbook for broadcasting soccer games and run visual advertisements near the scoreboard during the game.  

That said this sort of thing has been attempted so many times in the past and I just don't see any reason why it will be successful this time.  

And it will further hurt that they will potentially be competing with the XFL as well after their first season.  

Yep...kinda like the Nascar thing where they do the pic in pic thing. Heck they might have advertisements on the field, uniforms, etc....nothing is off limits! After every score they may have the players take a dive in a pool full of sprite...who knows lol!

19 hours ago, dgambill said:

There are plenty of players that din't quite make the NFL cut, and veteran players that are not washed up yet but having hard time getting back on an NFL squad and want to extend their career. Initially players allocated will be to localized regional teams, thus fans might well be aware of the names.  Catering to the fan will be a focus of the league. Free Live Streaming, and real time interactive fantasy participation.

11 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Less commercials mean they don't have advertisers..

Like when  radio stations give you a special gift of '2 hours of commercial-free music'!!!!! after the holidays.

The truth is: All the Christmas sponsors they had....Their contracts all ran out

They have a CBS and CBS sports TV contract.A couple games will be on the mother CBS, and at leaast 1 game a week on CBS Sports.

Very interesting article here-

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/charlie-ebersol-and-hall-of-famer-bill-polian-launch-alliance-of-american-football-300616797.html

Bill Polian oversees the league, Troy Polamalu will oversee player side, J.K. McKay the team side and advisors will be Jared Allen, Justin Tuck, Hines Ward, and Dick Ebersol.

14 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

There are plenty of players that din't quite make the NFL cut, and veteran players that are not washed up yet but having hard time getting back on an NFL squad and want to extend their career. Initially players allocated will be to localized regional teams, thus fans might well be aware of the names.  Catering to the fan will be a focus of the league. Free Live Streaming, and real time interactive fantasy participation.

They have a CBS and CBS sports TV contract.A couple games will be on the mother CBS, and at leaast 1 game a week on CBS Sports.

Very interesting article here-

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/charlie-ebersol-and-hall-of-famer-bill-polian-launch-alliance-of-american-football-300616797.html

Bill Polian oversees the league, Troy Polamalu will oversee player side, J.K. McKay the team side and advisors will be Jared Allen, Justin Tuck, Hines Ward, and Dick Ebersol.

I dont understand the financial outlook here.

They wont get much money from the CBS Sports network....

They should cut a deal with the NFL Network which has nothing but taped shows and talk shows from February to July.

If they aren't competing with the NFL, they should put reruns of games on that network just to gain credibility.

Just because there are familiar names in the front office doenst mean that anybody's going to watch.

Bill Polian isn't going to be playing

But I assume they are willing to take losses fro several years before profits start coming in.

Insurance and pensions are monster costs in football and they rise every year

I like the 'regional player' aspect....and the fact that they will work with the NFL (contracts will have an NFL-out clause that says players can go to NFL training camps and then come back).

I dont in understand fantasy football so I wonder if fantasy fans will play the game with players they do not know and games that are not on free TV.

Football fans tend to be older and live streaming is not something old folks will do to watch an unknown product...

But there is and always has been room for football....in February, March and April.....

Next up: Where are the teams going to be?  Indoors. Warm weather?.  

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:18 PM, King Colt said:

The general consensus is the AAF will be the death of the XFL because it starts earlier in the year. Besides I would put Bill Polian up against Vince McMahon any day of the week.

Maybe.

Vince already has the WWE Network and ties to the USA Network (and soon maybe FOX)

..But there probably isn't room for 2 spring football leagues..and the 'Alliance' gets a 12 month head start

Do you play indoors and in warm weather locations?

Because that leaves out a lot of major TV markets

19 hours ago, King Colt said:

So if one team's colors were blue and white would you be a fan of that team above all others?

I would, since my only other allegiance is to this team.....

Carlos Bocanegra

Ps, deliberately selected a picture of one of a number of US players to pull on the Rangers blue! :hat:

8 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I dont understand the financial outlook here.

They wont get much money from the CBS Sports network....

They should cut a deal with the NFL Network which has nothing but taped shows and talk shows from February to July.

If they aren't competing with the NFL, they should put reruns of games on that network just to gain credibility.

Just because there are familiar names in the front office doenst mean that anybody's going to watch.

Bill Polian isn't going to be playing

But I assume they are willing to take losses fro several years before profits start coming in.

Insurance and pensions are monster costs in football and they rise every year

I like the 'regional player' aspect....and the fact that they will work with the NFL (contracts will have an NFL-out clause that says players can go to NFL training camps and then come back).

I dont in understand fantasy football so I wonder if fantasy fans will play the game with players they do not know and games that are not on free TV.

Football fans tend to be older and live streaming is not something old folks will do to watch an unknown product...

But there is and always has been room for football....in February, March and April.....

Next up: Where are the teams going to be?  Indoors. Warm weather?.  

There are only so many draft choice players taken from a large pool, and some of those taken late don't last.  Those college players that don't get  drafted or are cut shortly after being drafted will go to AAF.  (Intially, only to teams that are local to the college they attended, thus having a better chance of fan recognition)  They can develop their skills, and maybe make it (back) onto an NFL squad.  Likewise, older NFL Vets that become FA's and cant land a spot on a squad can showcase they still have gas in the tank in the AAF.

As far as funding, it isn't only CBS TV contract, there is this-

" Funding for the league comes from the Peter Thiel-led Founder’s Fund, Barstool Sports investors the Chernin Group, former Vikings pass rusher Jared Allen and others. "

Many renowned NFL Front Office personnel and players alike are really behind this. 

You can't compare the passion fans have for their NFL teams with "interest" in new leagues. Watching new leagues is like watching soccer. I watch major golf tournaments and get excited when players are grouped at the top but I never watched a full WFL game simply because I could not get interested. It's like losing your best girl or worse, your best ride, a replacement is just not the same. But to contradict myself somewhat I did like the USFL and was sad to see it go. I don't watch indoor football and as I understand the new AAF will be a cross between the indoor league and the NFL. Hopefully it will help fill the gap after the NFL season ends but I have my doubts.

On 3/22/2018 at 9:46 AM, dgambill said:

Yep...kinda like the Nascar thing where they do the pic in pic thing. Heck they might have advertisements on the field, uniforms, etc....nothing is off limits! After every score they may have the players take a dive in a pool full of sprite...who knows lol!

With the exception of taking dives in a pool full of sprite that's essentially the stuff that soccer does.  Only time you can run commercials is before the game, halftime, and after the game.  

Quality on the field will be all that matters. I don't watch American soccer because of the crap quality...I'll watch premier league or La Liga. I would rather watch an elite soccer match even if I don't care about either side than a poor quality American soccer match when I theoretically should have a rooting interest or know some of the players locally. I'll watch a great rugby match or just about any sport if the talent level is there and it is played at a high level. It will be hard to get me interested in this league....especially since I doubt there will be an Indiana based team or anything so I'll watch a bit but not expect anything.

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

There are only so many draft choice players taken from a large pool, and some of those taken late don't last.  Those college players that don't get  drafted or are cut shortly after being drafted will go to AAF.  (Intially, only to teams that are local to the college they attended, thus having a better chance of fan recognition)  They can develop their skills, and maybe make it (back) onto an NFL squad.  Likewise, older NFL Vets that become FA's and cant land a spot on a squad can showcase they still have gas in the tank in the AAF.

As far as funding, it isn't only CBS TV contract, there is this-

" Funding for the league comes from the Peter Thiel-led Founder’s Fund, Barstool Sports investors the Chernin Group, former Vikings pass rusher Jared Allen and others. "

Many renowned NFL Front Office personnel and players alike are really behind this. 

CBF..what is The 'Founder's Fund' and the Cherin Group'?

Can they take 100 million dollars in losses in the first couple years...?

The football knowledge is there but when NBC backed out of the XFL, it folded quickly.

Cant make a lot of money on rights fees from the CBS Sports Network.

They might need to sell some regular season rights to local stations

Big time cash flow has to come from somewhere and initially it wont be gate receipts or TV.

I want football in the winter and spring and I will watch......but money has to pour in from somehwere

Edited by oldunclemark

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

CBF..what is The 'Founder's Fund' and the Cherin Group'?

Can they take 100 million dollars in losses in the first couple years...?

The football knowledge is there but when NBC backed out of the XFL, it folded quickly.

Cant make a lot of money on rights fees from the CBS Sports Network.

They might need to sell some regular season rights to local stations

Big time cash flow has to come from somewhere and initially it wont be gate receipts or TV.

I want football in the winter and spring and I will watch......but money has to pour in from somehwere

I listed the source sod funds above.  BTW, Peter Thiel co-founder of Pay\Pal in 1999, and is a venture capitalist.  His net worth was 2.2 billion in 2017... Peter Chernin; investor.  CBS, and Jared Allen, other... all pitching in.

They are going fan friendly at all costs including live streaming on WiFi devices...