Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Day 3 guys, you want us to target

Last year the Day 3 guy that stood out for us was Hairston, who do you think could be this years diamond in the rough?

Just some guys I have noticed and think they may be good additions on Day 3.

Troy Apke SS Penn state Projected 7th Round

With how athletic Apke is I think we can get him in the 7th and move him to a safety/Linebacker hybrid like Deone Bucannon, as a 7th we can let him have a year as a special teamer and let him gain some strength, and learn the new position, then I believe we will have a dynamic player for next year, if this works out adding him would give us a lot of  versatility.

Marquez Valdes Scantling WR South Florida Projected 7th Round

This dude is a beast 6' 4" and 206 lbs, he ran a 4.37 at the combine, another project player who needs to work on his route running, but he gives us some size that we need at WR and could develop into a good starter

1 hour ago, RealityIsLuck said:

Eddie Wilson DT Purdue 

Roc Thomas RB Jax. St. 

Josh Kelly RB Tennessee

Derick Nnandi DT FSU

Micah Kiser LB VT

Parry Nickerson CB Tulane

I like Josh Kelly a lot runs like a 230lb running back moves like a wr and is great in space. so so many rb in this class.

52 minutes ago, Indy Fan said:

Michael Joseph, DB, University of Dubuque

Ryan Nall, RB, Oregon State

Siran Neal, DB, Jacksonville State

Troy Apke, S, Penn State

Rashaan Gaulden, DB, Tennessee

I go to Oregon State and have seen Nall play a lot he was the best part of our offense and it seemed always about to make a big play

7 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I go to Oregon State and have seen Nall play a lot he was the best part of our offense and it seemed always about to make a big play

Yeah what caught my eye initially was he just has power. Boy can he break tackles and the more I watched he can catch really well and has excellent body control. If I recall correctly he’s around 230lbs and ran something like 4.55 40 time and has the best 3 cone for a running back his size. This is an extremely deep running back class I think he would be a great option late in the draft if we don’t get Guice or Penny (Penny is probably my favorite).

I don't know if he will be a day 3 because I've seen projections from 2nd round to 5th round.  But a CB I'm starting to focus on a bit is former Colts DC, Ron Meeks' son, Quenton.

Here is his NFL.com Draft profile

But a tall, lanky, hard working, technically sound zone CB who is also an excellent tackler sounds like just the type of player Ballard has said he wants.

12 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Quite like what I've seen from Dorial O'Daniel of Clemson.

If he can put 20 lbs on his frame and still run & cut the way he does now that would be a great draft pick. He's great in coverage and I read he was phenomenal in drills @ Clemson's pro day. I've had my eye on him for several months.

17 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Being from portland, ive watched him alot too he is a heck of a player and someone the ducks have had problems stopping! Ducks fan here lol i wouldnt mind a late flyer on him

9 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't know if he will be a day 3 because I've seen projections from 2nd round to 5th round.  But a CB I'm starting to focus on a bit is former Colts DC, Ron Meeks' son, Quenton.

But a tall, lanky, hard working, technically sound zone CB who is also an excellent tackler sounds like just the type of player Ballard has said he wants.

Thanks for the link to his draft profile, what I got from it was Quentin Meeks sounds like he would be a good backup and locker room guy, but Idk if he has the speed to develop into a starter.

I'm curious how he does at his pro day on thursday and what his 40 time will be

12 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Thanks for the link to his draft profile, what I got from it was Quentin Meeks sounds like he would be a good backup and locker room guy, but Idk if he has the speed to develop into a starter.

I'm curious how he does at his pro day on thursday and what his 40 time will be

That's funny.  That is almost exactly what they said about another tall Stanford CB.  

For a CB, especially in a zone D, there are attributes more important than straight line speed.

CB Dane Cruikshank, Arizona

S Natrell Jamerson, Wisconsin

WR  Daurice Fountain, Northern Iowa

LB Airius Moore, NC State

DL Kentavius Street, NC State

CB Michael Joseph, Dubuque

RB Josh Adams, Notre Dame

DL R.J. McIntosh, Miami

OG Colby Gossett, Appalachian State

WR Dylan Cantrell, Texas Tech

4 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Did some reading and I'm liking Warner, seems like his best position is an off-ball will linebacker. Here's an interview a read:

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/03/14/meet-fred-warner-the-most-underrated-lb-in-the-2018-nfl-draft/

Yeah he’s got prototypical size and can cover. I think people are short selling him though. He could also play MLB in a 4-3.

9 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That's funny.  That is almost exactly what they said about another tall Stanford CB.  

For a CB, especially in a zone D, there are attributes more important than straight line speed.

True but without safety help he will be a liability against fast receivers, and having recovery speed is always nice for a CB

3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

True but without safety help he will be a liability against fast receivers, and having recovery speed is always nice for a CB

I guess we can go back and forth all day but we will just wait and see.  He has enough speed to play in the NFL.  And because of his average deep speed a cover 2 zone D is a great fit for him.

23 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I could see your interest.  Like the fact that he's a defensive coaches son.

On 3/20/2018 at 9:33 PM, HectorRoberts said:

Desmond Harrison ot 

dj reed cb

Antonio Calloway wr 

Calloway will probably go undrafted or very close to it I think.  Extensive off the field problems. Very talented though.

Zierlein gives a 2nd or 3rd round projection below, but look at what the scout he's quoting says.  I'm sure most of them probably have a similar view

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/antonio-callaway?id=2560148

Sounds sort of like Darick Rogers.  And of course we know Darick wasn't smart enough to stay out of trouble in the NFL either.

I think Fred Warner would start day 1 on lots of teams. Perfect size and really athletic. They were saying he was the best LB in coverage this class while still a good blitzer and run stopper. I’d take him with our 4th, but afraid he will be gone by then. A linebacker that can cover is invaluable and he’d be a true 3 down LB for us.

2 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

I think Fred Warner would start day 1 on lots of teams. Perfect size and really athletic. They were saying he was the best LB in coverage this class while still a good blitzer and run stopper. I’d take him with our 4th, but afraid he will be gone by then. A linebacker that can cover is invaluable and he’d be a true 3 down LB for us.

4 hours ago, krunk said:

I really like Fred Warner

We were talking about him and look who made Miller’s Underrated list

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2765789-scouts-report-the-most-underrated-prospects-in-the-2018-nfl-draft-class?share=other