Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts host Cameron Meredith [Merge]

• 21isSuperman changed the title to Colts host Cameron Meredith [Merge]

Heard the Bears are one of the teams giving interest in Hurns. Might help us if they are interested in him and would let Cam walk. Who knows. its getting interesting for sure. What a difference a week makes. Last week Ballard must have been spending all his time fleecing the Jets ha ha!!

18 minutes ago, indyprosports1 said:

Heard the Bears are one of the teams giving interest in Hurns. Might help us if they are interested in him and would let Cam walk. Who knows. its getting interesting for sure. What a difference a week makes. Last week Ballard must have been spending all his time fleecing the Jets ha ha!!

This is all the more reason why the Colts need to make a big offer If they want Meredith. If the Bears are showing interest in Hurns then they are clearly willing to keep adding WRs and spending to do so

the only way to get Meredith away from them is to make a deal big enough that it gives them pause w them paying $14 for Robinson, $8 for burton and almost $7 for Gabriel. 

Essentially if youre ballard you have to figure out a number you are comfortable paying an ascending guy coming off a knee injury that is still big enough to scare the bears away. 

Id feel comfortable in the $8M-$9M range. But I don’t know if that scares the bears off or not. All the recent trends show that you spend NOW if you have a Qb under their cheap rookie contract. 

If im the bears I pay him now and know he’s off the books when Trubisky is ready to get paid. 

So the colts may may need to push $10M or so to get them to pass. And I don’t see ballard coming close to that. 

I badly want Meredith but I don’t know what the magic number is to get him. 

Now it helps if the Bears sign Hurns first. Then it would make them way less likely to pay Meredith. 

Here's the caveat to that tho......IF the Bears sign Hurns first.....then EVERY OTHER team will be in on giving Meredith a contract knowing that they could not afford to match the offer.

This makes the market shift and draws the price tag wayyyyy up on Meredith.

Colts have to come hard and strong NOW in that estimation.....if they are even going to sniff a chance.

15 minutes ago, nyyankeechris said:

Here's the caveat to that tho......IF the Bears sign Hurns first.....then EVERY OTHER team will be in on giving Meredith a contract knowing that they could not afford to match the offer.

Colts have to come hard and strong NOW in that estimation.....if they are even going to sniff a chance.

I don’t disagree w you there. 

I personally think the bears are letting others set the market on him so they don’t overpay but still keep their guy. Just like they did w Fuller. 

The sad sad part is it is probably a losing situation. If he agrees to a reasonable deal w us the bears match and keep him.

If we get gim it is probably because we way overpay to get gim away from them.

I think based on ballards track record we will sign him to a solid but not ridiculous contract. And then I think they’ll match and we will all be disappointed. 

Hope I am wrong.  

Hurns already has his 1st. visit lined up and he claims at least ten teams interested so far. Looks like he's going to go slow like Suh.  He mentioned 5 or 6 and we weren't mentioned but that doesn't mean we not one of the ten. It will be interesting to see how Ballard approaches this.  They let him become available so that says something.  If I'm Ballard I sign him and put the decision in the Bears hands now. 

46 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

Man you must not be impressed with anyone if your grading his ability/talent off one game. 

I see a lot of bears game highlights living in Schererville Indiana. I am not talking about one game. I just don't see him as a great addition.   I also drive down to see the Colts play several times a year and was a season ticket holder for fourteen years. 

This is precisely what will happen imo.....

Sucks.  But the hard factual truth.

You got the message I was dealing out this scenario to you, and you agreed.  It is a lose lose situation,  And from what Ballard has been doing in FA, I feel like the overpay will NOT happen here.

1 hour ago, nyyankeechris said:

This is precisely what will happen imo.....

Sucks.  But the hard factual truth.

You got the message I was dealing out this scenario to you, and you agreed.  It is a lose lose situation,  And from what Ballard has been doing in FA, I feel like the overpay will NOT happen here.

12 minutes ago, joecolts18 said:

Good young WR coming back off a torn ACL.  A lot to play for and would be hungry.  In this offense with a healthy Luck, he could be HUGE!  Yes, please!

Haven't seen you two here before. Welcome to the forum guys!

42 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

What an overpayment...

$8 million a year for a backup QB/TE hybrid (Trey Burton) who had 248 yards catching last year?

Agreed. Especially when you consider we just inked a more proven pass catching TE in Ebron for less annual salary and for fewer years  and who is younger as well.

That is kind of my point w Chicago. If they will overpay like that to get a guy like Burton, then they will likely overpay to keep Meredith if they want to bring him back. So either we pay up and make it a big enough salary so they have concerns (unlikely w Ballard) or we give him a fair market deal and risk the likelihood that Chicago matches.

All we can do is hope that whatever we give him makes them pause and consider letting him leave since they have invested in Robinson and Gabriel and Burton already this off-season.

Just a thought, but could the Colts have the edge by offering longer-term contract?

Now I doubt Ballard does this as it seems to go against his M.O, but could that make the Bears hesitate from matching the offer sheet without having to overpay?

I would love to have Meredith on the roster - provides more depth to the roster and a guy with plenty of talent.

Free Agency is starting to shape up nicely in Indy.

2 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Any new updates on this?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/20/cameron-meredith-visits-colts/

RFA wideout Cameron Meredith taking more visits

...Meredith visited the Colts yesterday, but he’s apparently not finished traveling.

According to Stephen Holder of the Indianapolis Star, Meredith has “multiple” visits lined up...

1. Update: I was told no offer sheet yet for Bears restricted FA Cameron Meredith, who had a visit w the Colts yesterday. He has “multiple” visits yet to come, acc to source. This could take a little while.

16 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

The only thing I know of this kid is that he absolutely destroyed Patrick Robinson against us in 2016. How both players fortunes changed in the last year.

Related image

Image result for cam meredith colts

Image result for cam meredith colts

That's the saddest montage of corner back play I've ever seen.......and I'm a COLTS fan....so I've seen some bad corner play in my day!!!

Me....likey!!! It will take a big contract to pull him in though. This is one of those deals where Ballard won't be able to go with a prove it deal. He is going to have to be completely sold on Meredith. Talking 3-4 years and close to 8 figures a year perhaps. If he structures it smart maybe we get it done. Bears have signed a trio of pass catchers but I would think they would like to keep this kid locked down. That said if they liked him more they would have put a draft pick linked to acquiring him. He will be a candidate that might go. They have money but they have lots of holes to fill just as much as we do.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Me....likey!!! It will take a big contract to pull him in though. This is one of those deals where Ballard won't be able to go with a prove it deal. He is going to have to be completely sold on Meredith. Talking 3-4 years and close to 8 figures a year perhaps. If he structures it smart maybe we get it done. Bears have signed a trio of pass catchers but I would think they would like to keep this kid locked down. That said if they liked him more they would have put a draft pick linked to acquiring him. He will be a candidate that might go. They have money but they have lots of holes to fill just as much as we do.

Ballard spent the money on Hankins.  Maybe he's okay with one a year.

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard spent the money on Hankins.  Maybe he's okay with one a year.

Oh I think Ballard will spend the money...just in this case the guy isn't a free agent...he is restricted and he has to do a a deal that Chicago wouldn't match. Meaning you inherently have to overpay. That's ok....I don't mind if this is a guy he has identified as a key piece moving forward. Meredith has flashed brilliantly in a poor offense. This is one of those all in situations where he has to be committed to the player though...just based on the situation. We will see. We have been pretty frugal so far. I won't be upset if we have to invest a little more to get a good player....even if its a risky signing coming off a ACL tear.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh I think Ballard will spend the money...just in this case the guy isn't a free agent...he is restricted and he has to do a a deal that Chicago wouldn't match. Meaning you inherently have to overpay. That's ok....I don't mind if this is a guy he has identified as a key piece moving forward. Meredith has flashed brilliantly in a poor offense. This is one of those all in situations where he has to be committed to the player though...just based on the situation. We will see. We have been pretty frugal so far. I won't be upset if we have to invest a little more to get a good player....even if its a risky signing coming off a ACL tear.

I agree and this is another thing I like about Ballard.  He is looking at all the different ways you can acquire a player RFA, trades whatever.  Nothing is off the table.  If he likes someone he is going to do his research and see what it takes and if it makes sense he will go for it. 

I mean, Meredith would be a nice add , but I don’t think we should offer a huge contract so that Chicago won’t match.

He’s coming off a significant injury. Just offer him a fair deal , structure it so we can get out of it after a year , and hope Chicago doesn’t match. They’ve invested quite of a bit in the receiver position recently  , perhaps they let him walk for that reason.

If they match, or another team goes crazy, so be it. He’s intriguing, not tantalizing.

9 minutes ago, Trueman said:

I mean, Meredith would be a nice add , but I don’t think we should offer a huge contract so that Chicago won’t match.

He’s coming off a significant injury. Just offer him a fair deal , structure it so we can get out of it after a year , and hope Chicago doesn’t match. They’ve invested quite of a bit in the receiver position recently  , perhaps they let him walk for that reason.

If they match, or another team goes crazy, so be it. He’s intriguing, not tantalizing.

That's the thing...if we offer a deal that is super good for us..easy to get out of etc then one he probably won't sign it and two the Bears would easily match. There will have to be some investment I think in this deal to get the Bears to balk. Such are the facts with RFA.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That's the thing...if we offer a deal that is super good for us..easy to get out of etc then one he probably won't sign it and two the Bears would easily match. There will have to be some investment I think in this deal to get the Bears to balk. Such are the facts with RFA.

Maybe they will , maybe they won’t. They’ve let him go unsigned this long , he tore his acl , and like has been said, they’ve spent quite a bit of coin on receivers already.

I think if we offer him a reasonable deal , the bigger risk might be another team outbidding us.

On 3/20/2018 at 8:21 PM, nyyankeechris said:

Not really. Any team can bid now and one team wont set the market.  We could be outbid by someone else and the Bears still have First Right.