Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts host Cameron Meredith [Merge]

• Virtuoso80 changed the title to Colts hosted Cam Meredith WR

This is one I want baddddly

such a talented young wr

and since he was tagged at the original tender he wouldn’t cost us any pick if the bears don’t match. 

Hope we make him a decent enough offer that they dont simply match it snd keep him 

1 minute ago, TomDiggs said:

such a talented young wr

and since he was tagged at the original tender he wouldn’t cost us any pick if the bears don’t match. 

Hope we make him a decent enough offer that they dont simply match it snd keep him 

He had acl injury last year, not sure if he was good prior to that.

Just now, TomDiggs said:

such a talented young wr

Yeah, the bears seemed to do that with Fuller. See what market value he could get elsewhere and then just sign him up anyway once the first offer goes in.

With Ballard unlikely to go in with a high offer this may be a lost cause....

1 minute ago, MightyLucks said:

He’s a RFA so Bears can match offer. I believe if we get him, we don’t give anything up. 

With the amount of cap space Ballard has, he won't have to worry about tying up funds while waiting on a result.  This gives him an advantage dealing in the RFA market.

Just now, MightyLucks said:

This could be sneaky good by Ballard. Bears are paying Robinson a lot. Cam coming off injury so they might not want to match.  

agreed would be a good addition to the WR group. It would be a good signing if it can happen. 

9 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Now this one would make some sense.  Have to think the Bears would match, though with signing Robinson/Gabriel who knows.

Possibly. If they don’t match then they’ll get no compensation from us though. 

Meredith is a very talented and young WR. He was becoming a big time WR and a breakout player, then tore his ACL last season. This would be a really good signing. I'd straight up offer him 10-12 million for a couple years. Try and keep them from matching

Two years ago when pressed into

dury with Alshon all banged up, Meredith was pretty damn awesome. 

I wasnt sure about him as a legit WR1. But he doesn’t have to be that with us. He could easily be a poor man’s Alshon or Allen Robinson. 

The challenge is making an offer big enough so that Chicago doesn’t match. While we clearly have the cap do so, with him coming off the ACL injury, I fear Ballard keeps the contract low and reasonable and then Chicago simply matches and keeps him at a great rate. 

The sucky part is that you can’t even make the contract very heavy in incentives. Because if so Chicago just matches and when he doesn’t hit the performance marks they keep him for dirt cheap. 

Unless ballard smartly structures incentives to gameday roster bonuses that push the salary up considerably. That might give Chicago pause since they’d be very reachable incentives. 

Seriously though, if Albert Wilson is worth 8 million and Grant just went for 5 million, I would easily put Meredith at 8-9M. I’d much rather have him than Wilson. 

That said I could see us maybe offering him around 6 or so. Not sure that’d keep him away from Chicago though. 

37 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

With the amount of cap space Ballard has, he won't have to worry about tying up funds while waiting on a result.  This gives him an advantage dealing in the RFA market.

Agreed. 

I just wonder if we will bid enough to get chicago to back off. 

Per Spotrac, the Bears have about $40M in cap space, so they could definitely match if they wanted. With Meredith coming off the injury and a lot invested in Robinson, the Bears may not want to pay what we offer Meredith though.

This looks like another possible good signing for the Colts if it works out.  He has already had the visit so it will be interesting if this attempt goes down soon.   The other interesting aspect of this is that he is a RFA.  Ballard is looking at  all the possibilities of how to acquire players as the frenzy gets quieter.  Makes me think he could be working on a strategy to get the Cowboys Irving as well. 

1 minute ago, Blueblood23 said:

I have watched him drop a lot of balls. He needs to have better concentration. I would pass on him after seeing him play several games.

I think you have him mixed up with someone ensue 

34 minutes ago, Shive said:

Per Spotrac, the Bears have about $40M in cap space, so they could definitely match if they wanted. With Meredith coming off the injury and a lot invested in Robinson, the Bears may not want to pay what we offer Meredith though.

They also have a lot invested in Taylor Gabriel (4yrs/ 26M) and TE Trey Burton (4yrs/ 32M). Not sure they want to tie up just under 40M in cap on 4 pass catchers for a prolonged period of time.