Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jags release Allen Hurns

TdungyW/12

Yeah, I saw that one possibly/probably coming.  Mentioned it in a thread where peeps were mad Jags were signing everyone and their brother. They just saved 7 million on their cap doing so...

Maybe we can check tape and scouting reports.  See if he is worth a chat...

I'm pretty sure Ballard and the Pro Player personnel director knew that was likely coming. If they don't bring him in, I'm sure it wasn't because they were caught off guard...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TdungyW/12 said:

I wouldn’t mind having him come in and put on a colts jersey .... he fell off this last year .... but, could it be his QB lol. 

Luck can can do better then bortles 

He has fell the last two years. After coming off his best season he checked out the next two.

1 hour ago, TdungyW/12 said:

But he also had bortles as his QB .... he would do better with even a decent QB. Like luck 

In 2015 Allen had over 1,000 tds and 10 Tds with Bortles.

OH, by the way Bortles had 4,428 yds and 35 tds.

Bortles is not nears as bad as what you think. His numbers lowered when the Jags running games started clicking.

25 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

In 2015 Allen had over 1,000 tds and 10 Tds with Bortles.

OH, by the way Bortles had 4,428 yds and 35 tds.

Bortles is not nears as bad as what you think. His numbers lowered when the Jags running games started clicking.

And cam newton went to the SB one year after going 15-1 ..... all QB’s have their time ..... they have that one year. Look at Foles, Keemun ..... it happens! I’m it saying bortles is horrible .... he’s something to get you by but he can’t put a team on his back and win. Take away his def and he wouldn’t have gone anywhere near the playoffs. Hell manning as much as I love Peyton .... he’s the reason I became a colts fan wouldn’t have won the SB without his def. 

even the jags brass showed they cant trust bortles to throw and be a QB they can depend on in the championship game. Romo has good #’s, rivers constantly has good #’s ..... QB’s can be decent and good but in order to help make a WR shine u need a better QB. Guarantee Allen wouldn’t have fallen off with Brady, Rogers, Ben, Ryan, Luck etc ... 

4 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

And cam newton went to the SB one year after going 15-1 ..... all QB’s have their time ..... they have that one year. Look at Foles, Keemun ..... it happens! I’m it saying bortles is horrible .... he’s something to get you by but he can’t put a team on his back and win. Take away his def and he wouldn’t have gone anywhere near the playoffs. Hell manning as much as I love Peyton .... he’s the reason I became a colts fan wouldn’t have won the SB without his def. 

even the jags brass showed they can trust bortles to throw and be a QB they can depend on in the championship game. Romo has good #’s, rivers constantly has good #’s ..... QB’s can be decent and good but in order to help make a WR shine u need a better QB. Guarantee Allen wouldn’t have fallen off with Brady, Rogers, Ben, Ryan, Luck etc ... 

And how many playoffs and super bowls did Manning win without a defense? 

Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL.

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

And how many playoffs and super bowls did Manning win without a defense? 

Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL.

Agreed ..... but that’s manning!!!! 

Bortles will never approach the bottom of Manning’s cleats greatness. 

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

No where did I say he is close to Manning.  

I said he is not as bad as what you think he is.

No I know ..... Manning won year after year without a def .... the year he did win the SB he had a decent/good def. 

he won plenty of PO games without a def .... just like Luck! But when he did have a good def he won more ... SB’s <—— exactly why bortles got as far as he did. I’m not saying he sucks but he is not a franchise QB. Take Luck and throw him on last years jax team ... they win the SB .... take bortles and throw him on Indy ..... 1-15 maybe 0-16? Look what Jax team was year after year when they were at the bottom collecting picks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2018 at 1:07 PM, TdungyW/12 said:

No I know ..... Manning won year after year without a def .... the year he did win the SB he had a decent/good def. 

he won plenty of PO games without a def .... just like Luck! But when he did have a good def he won more ... SB’s <—— exactly why bortles got as far as he did. I’m not saying he sucks but he is not a franchise QB. Take Luck and throw him on last years jax team ... they win the SB .... take bortles and throw him on Indy ..... 1-15 maybe 0-16? Look what Jax team was year after year when they were at the bottom collecting picks.

So Luck is the next big thing and the Colts made it to the Championship Game with a terrible defense. The Jags as you say have a terrible QB but they have a Great defense as they made it to the Championship Game. Tell me how it really matters? 

And I am sure you have some interesting thoughts on this next part. Compare Luck and Bortles career stats. Comparing Luck's 5 years of games to Bortles 4. 

Luck 70 games 2,651 attempts 1,570 completions 59.2% 19,078 yds 7.2 avg 272.5 yds/game 132 tds 68 ints 156 sacks 87.3 rating.

Bortles 62 games 2,229 attempts 1,318 completions 59.1% 14,928 yds 6.7 avg 240 yds/game 90 tds 64 ints 164 sacks 80.8 rating.

While Luck's stats are slightly better he is no where near the cleats of Manning's greatness either. I think people are to down on Bortles and to high on Luck.

59 minutes ago, MIJagsFan said:

So Luck is the next big thing and the Colts made it to the Championship Game with a terrible defense. The Jags as you say have a terrible QB but they have a Great defense as they made it to the Championship Game. Tell me how it really matters? 

And I am sure you have some interesting thoughts on this next part. Compare Luck and Bortles career stats. Comparing Luck's 5 years of games to Bortles 4. 

Luck 70 games 2,651 attempts 1,570 completions 59.2% 19,078 yds 7.2 avg 272.5 yds/game 132 tds 68 ints 156 sacks 87.3 rating.

Bortles 62 games 2,229 attempts 1,318 completions 59.1% 14,928 yds 6.7 avg 240 yds/game 90 tds 64 ints 164 sacks 80.8 rating.

While Luck's stats are slightly better he is no where near the cleats of Manning's greatness either. I think people are to down on Bortles and to high on Luck.

Lol look at what Luck has had to work with compared to bortles .... switch the QB’s and tell me it wouldn’t be completely different. It just says something when your own team doesn’t trust you to throw the ball being a QB. 

Nowhere did did I say Luck is near manning either. 

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:07 PM, TdungyW/12 said:

I can recall the same thing said about Eli Manning. He was an OK QB but could never win a big time game. Well Coughlin didn't think that way and Eli has 2 super bowl rings and 2 super bowl MVPs under the system Coughlin set up for him.

No matter what you opinion of Bortles is he is not as bad as you make him out to be.

46 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

Lol look at what Luck has had to work with compared to bortles .... switch the QB’s and tell me it wouldn’t be completely different. It just says something when your own team doesn’t trust you to throw the ball being a QB. 

Bortles has never had a Wayne or a Hilton. He also hasn't had near the TEs the Colts have had either.

As far as trust when you have the best running game in the NFL and also a defense that rates in the top of the league putting the team on the back of the QB is stupid.

27 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

I didn't say you did. However you did put him in the same category as Brady, Rogers and Ben which he shouldn't be.

Let's look at what Bortles has had to deal with as compared to Luck.

Luck

Yr 1: 23tds 18ints 54.1% 41 Sacks 76.5 rating. Leading rusher 814 yds 2tds. Leading receiver 1,355 yds 5 tds. 32 team sacks 12 team ints. Team 11-5

Bortles 

Yr 1: 11 tds 17 ints 58.9% 55 sacks 69.5 rating. Leading rusher 582 yds 4 tds. Leading receiver 627 yds 6 tds. 45 team sacks 6 team ints. Team 3-13.

So in Luck's first year he had a 1000 yard receiver. The team went 11-5 but that wasn't on Luck. His first year in the league he had Reggie Wayne. Bortles had 2 rookie receivers. On to year 2.

Luck

23 tds 9 ints 60.2% 32 sacks 87 rating.

Leading rusher 537 yds 6 tds, leading receiver 1083 yds 5 tds. 42 team sacks 15 ints. Team 11-5

Bortles

35 tds 18 ints 58.6% 51 sacks 88.2 rating. Leading rusher 740 yds 2 tds, leading receiver 1400 yds 14 tds & 1031 yds 10 tds. 36 team sacks and 9 team ints. Team 5-11.

This year here I will say that Bortles probably had the better supporting cast than Luck, however this is also the time frame that Hilton was being said to be one of the better up and coming receivers. It cannot be denied that Bortles his first 2 years in the league has had worse protection. Another 50+ sack year. On to year 3.

Luck

40 tds 16 ints 61.7% 27 sacks 96.5 rating. Leading rusher 519 yds 3 tds. Leading receivers 1,345 yds 7 tds. 41 team sacks 12 team ints. Team 11-5

Bortles

23 tds 16 ints 58.9% 34 sacks 78.8 rating. Leading rusher 465 yds 1 td leading receiver 883 yds 6 tds. 33 team sacks 7 team ints. Team 3-13.

This year Luck's supporting cast was better. Luck's td - int ratio was very nice but I still don't agree that his supporting cast is worse than Bortles. Onto year 4.

Luck

15 tds 12 ints 55.3% 15 sacks 74.9 rating. Leading rusher 967 yds 6 tds leading receiver 1,124 yds 5 tds. 35 team sacks 17 team ints. Team 8-8.

Bortles

21 tds 13 ints 60.2% 24 sacks 84.7 rating. Leading rusher 1040 yds 9 tds leading receiver 748 yds 3 tds. 55 team sacks 21 team ints. Team 10-6.

This is Luck's worst statistical year...however the Colts still had a 1000 yard receiver. 

It's important to note I am not saying in anyway that Bortles is better than Luck. I just don't think Luck is head and shoulders better than Bortles. Bortles supporting cast hasn't had a possible Hall of Fame receiver on it. 

I know that this information isn't going to make anyone up and change their mind so I normally don't say anything. However I am so tired of hearing about how when the colts do good it's because luck is so good but when they fail it's because the supporting cast sucks. However when the Jags do good it's because the best receivers are so good and when the jags do bad it's cuz Bortles sucks. 

Sorry to say but Luck (and Bortles) will never be Manning. Peyton Manning was the best QB to ever play in my opinion. Luck and Bortles haven't showed that they shouldn't even mentioned in the same breath.

54 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I can recall the same thing said about Eli Manning. He was an OK QB but could never win a big time game. Well Coughlin didn't think that way and Eli has 2 super bowl rings and 2 super bowl MVPs under the system Coughlin set up for him.

No matter what you opinion of Bortles is he is not as bad as you make him out to be.

It’s my opinion. I don’t tell you that your opinion on him is wrong 

52 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Bortles has never had a Wayne or a Hilton. He also hasn't had near the TEs the Colts have had either.

As far as trust when you have the best running game in the NFL and also a defense that rates in the top of the league putting the team on the back of the QB is stupid.

Now he has DM ..... we will see how he does now! :lol:

3 hours ago, MIJagsFan said:

I didn't say you did. However you did put him in the same category as Brady, Rogers and Ben which he shouldn't be.

Let's look at what Bortles has had to deal with as compared to Luck.

Luck

Yr 1: 23tds 18ints 54.1% 41 Sacks 76.5 rating. Leading rusher 814 yds 2tds. Leading receiver 1,355 yds 5 tds. 32 team sacks 12 team ints. Team 11-5

Bortles 

Yr 1: 11 tds 17 ints 58.9% 55 sacks 69.5 rating. Leading rusher 582 yds 4 tds. Leading receiver 627 yds 6 tds. 45 team sacks 6 team ints. Team 3-13.

So in Luck's first year he had a 1000 yard receiver. The team went 11-5 but that wasn't on Luck. His first year in the league he had Reggie Wayne. Bortles had 2 rookie receivers. On to year 2.

Luck

23 tds 9 ints 60.2% 32 sacks 87 rating.

Leading rusher 537 yds 6 tds, leading receiver 1083 yds 5 tds. 42 team sacks 15 ints. Team 11-5

Bortles

35 tds 18 ints 58.6% 51 sacks 88.2 rating. Leading rusher 740 yds 2 tds, leading receiver 1400 yds 14 tds & 1031 yds 10 tds. 36 team sacks and 9 team ints. Team 5-11.

This year here I will say that Bortles probably had the better supporting cast than Luck, however this is also the time frame that Hilton was being said to be one of the better up and coming receivers. It cannot be denied that Bortles his first 2 years in the league has had worse protection. Another 50+ sack year. On to year 3.

Luck

40 tds 16 ints 61.7% 27 sacks 96.5 rating. Leading rusher 519 yds 3 tds. Leading receivers 1,345 yds 7 tds. 41 team sacks 12 team ints. Team 11-5

Bortles

23 tds 16 ints 58.9% 34 sacks 78.8 rating. Leading rusher 465 yds 1 td leading receiver 883 yds 6 tds. 33 team sacks 7 team ints. Team 3-13.

This year Luck's supporting cast was better. Luck's td - int ratio was very nice but I still don't agree that his supporting cast is worse than Bortles. Onto year 4.

Luck

15 tds 12 ints 55.3% 15 sacks 74.9 rating. Leading rusher 967 yds 6 tds leading receiver 1,124 yds 5 tds. 35 team sacks 17 team ints. Team 8-8.

Bortles

21 tds 13 ints 60.2% 24 sacks 84.7 rating. Leading rusher 1040 yds 9 tds leading receiver 748 yds 3 tds. 55 team sacks 21 team ints. Team 10-6.

This is Luck's worst statistical year...however the Colts still had a 1000 yard receiver. 

It's important to note I am not saying in anyway that Bortles is better than Luck. I just don't think Luck is head and shoulders better than Bortles. Bortles supporting cast hasn't had a possible Hall of Fame receiver on it. 

I know that this information isn't going to make anyone up and change their mind so I normally don't say anything. However I am so tired of hearing about how when the colts do good it's because luck is so good but when they fail it's because the supporting cast sucks. However when the Jags do good it's because the best receivers are so good and when the jags do bad it's cuz Bortles sucks. 

Sorry to say but Luck (and Bortles) will never be Manning. Peyton Manning was the best QB to ever play in my opinion. Luck and Bortles haven't showed that they shouldn't even mentioned in the same breath.

You can put your team on Andrews shoulders and he will carry it ..... you CANNOT put a team on bortles back and ask him to do anything. 

4 hours ago, TdungyW/12 said:

You can put your team on Andrews shoulders and he will carry it ..... you CANNOT put a team on bortles back and ask him to do anything. 

Last time I checked the NFL is a team game. I don't care how good a QB is he does nothing without the supporting players around him.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Last time I checked the NFL is a team game. I don't care how good a QB is he does nothing without the supporting players around him.

Yeah that’s a given ..... listen your trying to hammer your point in and I respect that but I don’t agree with you. It’s simple ..... I look at it like this, if you switch players from a crappy team ..... the 2-14 colts we draft luck and they go 11-5 the next year with ONLY Wayne and a rookie TY and the same thing the next year but took us further and you switch and put bortles on that team it wouldn’t turn out the same ..... a healthy LUCK with Blake’s team would have a SB right now .... same thing with Wilson take the def away and lynch his SB wouldn’t be there either. Put Luck on that Seattle team and they repeat easily.

Difference is, Russell Wilson continues to get better, while Bortles is still hot and cold.  Here is an interesting factoid on Wilson in 2017-

"Wilson either threw or ran for all but one of Seattle's 38 offensive touchdowns in 2017. Of his league-high 34 TD passes, a whopping 19 came in the fourth quarter (a new NFL record, per the Elias Sports Bureau) while only four came in the first quarter. Those stats illustrate two of the odder and more pronounced trends of the Seahawks' season:

(a) their offense was disproportionately reliant on Wilson and the passing game

(b) Wilson struggled in the first quarter yet was nearly unstoppable in the fourth.

Another stat worth mentioning: zero. Including playoffs, Wilson hasn't missed a game since he entered the league in 2012."

People need to remember some things about replacing a QB with one you 'think' is better, that it doesn't always work out the way you may think. Look at Ravens after their Super Bowl win.  They moved on to Elvis Grbac from Trent Dilfer the very next year.  How did  that QB move pan out?  Bortles job in Jax isn't to put the team on his shoulders and win the game, it is to let the D essentially win the game, and he is to sustain a few drives and put up some points, but mainly to protect the football.

Ray Lewis sees the same thing I see-

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baltimore-sports-blog/nonsense-sp-ravens-ray-lewis-trent-dilfer-super-bowl-20180228-story.html

As far as Hurns release, I saw it coming (7 mil cap savings) after their FA signings.  They can also release a few high priced players in 2020 to keep from cap hell and sign some of their rising stars. So they can go all in for a SB now, and not ruin their team very much in doing so.  Coughlin has been around the block a time or two and knows the 'games' both on the field and in the negotiating room.

1 hour ago, TdungyW/12 said:

Yeah that’s a given ..... listen your trying to hammer your point in and I respect that but I don’t agree with you. It’s simple ..... I look at it like this, if you switch players from a crappy team ..... the 2-14 colts we draft luck and they go 11-5 the next year with ONLY Wayne and a rookie TY and the same thing the next year but took us further and you switch and put bortles on that team it wouldn’t turn out the same ..... a healthy LUCK with Blake’s team would have a SB right now .... same thing with Wilson take the def away and lynch his SB wouldn’t be there either. Put Luck on that Seattle team and they repeat easily.

Really?  Stretching things a little far just to make a point gets no brownie points.