Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts signing WR Ryan Grant

Virtuoso80

1 minute ago, k9copinmd said:

I like this signing. I haven't seen Grant a whole lot but the times I did see him I was impressed with the little guy. He is like a water bug type that seems to catch everything thrown his way. I think he will quiet the naysayers.

Little guy?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, GoColtsWin said:

Tommy “The Hitman” Hearns. I grew up watching boxing w/my Dad and Papaw. Awesome competition then. Hearns, Hagler, Chavez, Suger-Ray Leonord, Roberto Duran, Spinx, and many others. The Leonord/Duran bouts were my all-time favorites. 

The better fight was Hearns Hagler. Only lasted 3 rounds. First round was the best most exciting round of boxing you will ever see. Toe to toe for 3 minutes. 

2 minutes ago, k9copinmd said:

Yea he is only LISTED at 6'0 but I think that is a stretch...prolly more like 5'10 maybe 5'11.  

No, he was measured at 6'0 at the pre-draft NFL combine.  I''ll go with that over the calculation you've made via your tv screen.

In no way, shape or form is Grant a little guy.

1 hour ago, coltsfansince65 said:

He received a cut on his foot that became infected. Apparently this is what scared the Ravens from signing him. 

I suppose the Colts doctors don't see it as a big enough issue to keep him off the field.

Wasn't that Breeland, the CB who signed with the Panthers?

Just now, MacDee1975 said:

No, he was measured at 6'0 at the pre-draft NFL combine.  I''ll go with that over the calculation you've made via your tv screen.

In no way, shape or form is Grant a little guy.

That's fine...you believe what you want and I will believe what I want. How about that? Even giving him 6'0" that's is still small in todays WR terms. I'm 6'2" 255 so yea...to me he is a little guy.

7 minutes ago, k9copinmd said:

That's fine...you believe what you want and I will believe what I want. How about that? Even giving him 6'0" that's is still small in todays WR terms. I'm 6'2" 255 so yea...to me he is a little guy.

Its not a matter of believing ... it's a matter of fact. He was measured at 72.38 inches at the combine (so a shade over 6 feet).

3 minutes ago, esmort said:

Its not a matter of believing ... it's a matter of fact. He was measured at 72.38 inches at the combine (so a shade over 6 feet).

Bottom line...as I said I like the signing and I think he will quiet the naysayers.

13 minutes ago, k9copinmd said:

1)  Yes, me and everyone else will continue to believe what he was measured at the pre draft combine; you can believe whatever it is you believe.  However, if you believe anything other than 6'0, you are objectively wrong.

2)  You aren't "giving" him 6'0....that's how tall he is.  No, that is not small in todays WR terms. In fact, he is almost exactly the average build of an NFL WR.

3)  Your personal measurements are completely irrelevant when discussing the relative size of an NFL wide receiver.

3 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Curious at the terms. Would rather have Hearns.

We need Hurns too. Grant is a great addition. Really solid number 3 WR who could have the best year f his career with us this coming season, but we need the big 6'3 freak. Hurns has kinda been up and down and had some injuries, but he's got the potential to be a 1,000 yard WR year after year. Maybe even turn into a borderline WR1, at the worst a really, really good WR2. And he hasn't played with a top tier QB. With Luck healthy Hurns could be a star with us.

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Despite having 573 yards last year its the first time he really became a regular contributor.

His previous seasons look like this.

2014 - 7 rec for 68 yards

2015 - 23 rec for 268 yards

2016 - 9 rec for 76 yards

His first two years he played behind Pierre Garcon and Desean Jackson. Not enough opportunities.

2 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

1)  Yes, me and everyone else will continue to believe what he was measured at the pre draft combine; you can believe whatever it is you believe.  However, if you believe anything other than 6'0, you are objectively wrong.

2)  You aren't "giving" him 6'0....that's how tall he is.  No, that is not small in todays WR terms. In fact, he is almost exactly the average build of an NFL WR.

3)  Your personal measurements are completely irrelevant when discussing the relative size of an NFL wide receiver.

Good glad you see things my way....Have a great day!

29 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

We need Hurns too. Grant is a great addition. Really solid number 3 WR who could have the best year f his career with us this coming season, but we need the big 6'3 freak. Hurns has kinda been up and down and had some injuries, but he's got the potential to be a 1,000 yard WR year after year. Maybe even turn into a borderline WR1, at the worst a really, really good WR2. And he hasn't played with a top tier QB. With Luck healthy Hurns could be a star with us.

I really want Hurns too! He's had the injuries, but when healthy he produced, and that was with Bortles as his QB.

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Despite having 573 yards last year its the first time he really became a regular contributor.

His previous seasons look like this.

2014 - 7 rec for 68 yards

2015 - 23 rec for 268 yards

2016 - 9 rec for 76 yards

Donte moncrief had more production

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'll have to watch his 2016 tape, which I don't think I did.  I watched I think 2 2017 games and was unimpressed.  I'll give it another go because your take was not at all my recollection of what I thoguht I saw.

I'd love to hear your opinion whenever you get to watch him. 

14 minutes ago, Myles said:

I was a little bummed with the 1 year deal.    I dislike signing free agents to 1 year deals.  

Grant is not a long term solution.  I expect a WR in the draft at pick 67 at the absolute latest.  Grant is just a stopgap much like Aiken or DHB.

25 minutes ago, Myles said:

I was a little bummed with the 1 year deal.    I dislike signing free agents to 1 year deals.  

If you build through the draft, then his departure next year has the ability to get us a comp pick if he does well and gets a deal close to what the Ravens signed him to once already.

This is from his pre-draft analysis, if anyone cares to read it..

STRENGTHS

Good size. Smooth accelerator off the line. Good flexibility to sink his hips. Tracks throws and shows terrific body control to adjust. Impressive hands catcher -- quick, soft mitts. Makes NFL-caliber catches, snatching throws out of the air away from his body. Determined runner with the ball in his hands. Nice upfield quickness to pick up yards after the catch. Good field awareness.

WEAKNESSES

Could stand to improve functional strength and physicality. Can be jammed and rerouted at the line. Pedestrian speed. Is an unpolished route runner and does not consistently separate -- drifts into patterns neglecting deception and does not snap off breaks. Limited route tree. Marginal blocker. Appears lackadaisical at times -- intermittent intensity, urgency and compete level. Questionable courage to work the middle of the field.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 6-7

BOTTOM LINE

Productive, monotone, unrefined, enigmatic mid-major receiver with one of the best pair of hands in the draft, though he comes with concerning tweener traits he will have to overcome. Lacks ideal speed and physicality to survive outside and lacks ideal suddenness and toughness to thrive inside. Workout numbers will be critical.

22 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Grant is not a long term solution.  I expect a WR in the draft at pick 67 at the absolute latest.  Grant is just a stopgap much like Aiken or DHB.

For the inexpensive price tag, I would have preferred a 3 year deal.   I've just never seen the benefit in 1 year contracts.  

Ryan Grant is a solid pickup, especially at that 1y $5m number.

The thing about these 1 yr deals that make them even better. 

1. Players play harder, trying to get that bigger deal. If they play good, we can bring them back, hopefully we would have a leg up since we gave them the prove it deal. If we choose to let them go/or they choose to leave. Well....

2. If they go sign a deal with a different team following year. Then we could possibly recoup a comp pick. (ie Mingo) 

3. No risk/possible great reward

I think Ryan Grant is going to have his career best season this year. No homer, he is just solid and Andrew Luck is going to find him often.

38 minutes ago, Myles said:

For the inexpensive price tag, I would have preferred a 3 year deal.   I've just never seen the benefit in 1 year contracts.  

The 1 year deal might be why he chose colts over raiders maybe he was looking at 3 year reduced deal with them or a 1 year prove deal with us and bet on himself.

1 minute ago, PeterBowman said:

if he ends up being 4th string, that means you have a good group of receivers.

Eh maybe. It seems like he's a 3rd string/slot receiver at best. With one decent season on his belt he may be better or worse than we think.