Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saquon Barkley Pro-day

Here's a thread to discuss the pro-day of Saquon Barkley. Pro-day season is picking up steam. Some interesting ones today(Florida State, Penn State, UTEP..). I will be posting news about Barkley in this one since it seems like he will be one of the possible targets for the Colts at 6(if he drops to 6). Pro day starts at 10am. 

36 minutes ago, stitches said:

Seems like he will be running just the RB drills. 

Not surprising.  What may be is Gil Brandt mentioned on Late Hits radio show (NFL radio, SiriusXM) that Saquon was the second best RB prospect he has seen. Ever.

Gil Brandt was the Vice President of player personnel in the National Football League for the Dallas Cowboys from 1960 (their 1st year in the league) to 1988, and the Chief Talent Scout since 1960 as well.

He invented modern scouting and talent evaluation. His nickname is the Godfather...

He is in charge of invites to the NFL draft. He is still respected by organizations, players, media (of which he is now part of), and fans. An incredible personality, mellow and humble, especially considering his accomplishments and depth/breadth of NFL knowledge.

When this guy comments on something, I listen.  He is most certainly not senile (despite his age) and very much on top of NFL players, college and pro to this day.  And a great story teller with what seems an infinite number of stories to tell.

He says Barkley is the second best RB prospect he has ever scouted or seen.  Think of all of the great RB in the league the last 58 years... a few he drafted... others that got away...  This is some statement by him, for certain.

Still, in this day (with pay scale like Le'Veon Bell is demanding), I'm not on board with a 5 year rental and possible 6th year Franchise Tag for a top 1st round running back.  I'd like at least a decade of elite performance from a top 6 pick, IMHO

BTW, not exactly sure, but I think All Day (AP) might well be the guy #1 on his list.

Just now, Andrew Luck fan club said:

I just don’t think he’s as high on our board as fans think. 

I was kidding. I think he's pretty high but they probably already know everything they need to know. + he's not dropping to 6 most probably. 

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

I was kidding. I think he's pretty high but they probably already know everything they need to know. + he's not dropping to 6 most probably. 

I think there’s a chance he drops to 6 pretty easily. If browns pass on him at 4, well damn... he’s gonna fall to the Bucs. 

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

He was one of the 60 official interviews. 

That’s it? Just the 60 official visit?

2 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

I think there’s a chance he drops to 6 pretty easily. If browns pass on him at 4, well damn... he’s gonna fall to the Bucs. 

That’s it? Just the 60 official visit?

60 interviews at the combine. The official visits I think are 30 and they still haven't started AFAIK. 

3 hours ago, BOTT said:

What's the point of Barkley having a pro day? Talk to teams but screw the rest of it

No question all teams have seen enough...  they just want that one on one interview to place that final gracde stamp on him.  And it will be high... for most everyone I feel.  However, who wants a 5-6 year RB rental at such a high draft pick slot?

11 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

No question all teams have seen enough...  they just want that one on one interview to place that final gracde stamp on him.  And it will be high... for most everyone I feel.  However, who wants a 5-6 year RB rental at such a high draft pick slot?

Well.... we did in 1994 Marshall Faulk at #2 spot and Edgerrin James 1999 #4 spot 2006 & Joseph Addai first round in 2006,

5 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Faulk was tossed aside for James in 1999... who was a good pick. Lasted 7 years.  Then Joseph Addai, he lasted 6. Then Donald Brown lasted... 5.    Not a fan of high round 1 pick unless they are at least James caliber. 

And as you know Faulk was not close to being done as a player,