Colts sign Eric Ebron (merge)

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Wow.  I prefer Swoope. If Ebron couldn’t get it going with Stafford then I don’t see him producing here enough to justify 7.5 million a year

I agree;  Bleacher Report calls Ebron "Underwhelming" in his play vs selection "Never living up to expectations".  He may do ok, but the glaring holes the Colts have compared to need for a TE doesn't seem to be a top priority. Not all of these holes can be fixed in the draft.....  Disappointed in Ballard thus far, we will likely be 2 to 3 years away from playoffs and 2 or 3 years wasted in Luck's window.  :Nuke:

I like the signing...another weapon for Luck and a fast TE who can create some mismatch problems for defenses.

Also read he was heavily recruited by our coaches, so they know he will fit our new system.

Also like his attitude and outlook for a fresh start.  Said he wanted to come here for several reasons, including playing with Luck as his QB.

10 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

If you know anything about football you should have a very good idea how they will use him.
Doyle can't do what this guy can and what Reich's offense needs.

Thank you The guy brings speed to the position and that will open things up for TY and Co. This is very good signing. 

20 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

I agree;  Bleacher Report calls Ebron "Underwhelming" in his play vs selection "Never living up to expectations".  He may do ok, but the glaring holes the Colts have compared to need for a TE doesn't seem to be a top priority. Not all of these holes can be fixed in the draft.....  Disappointed in Ballard thus far, we will likely be 2 to 3 years away from playoffs and 2 or 3 years wasted in Luck's window.  :Nuke:

I don't think concerns about Luck's window play much into Ballard's plan. He's trying to build a solid foundation that will lead to sustained success. Going "win now" because of Luck is what Grigson did and it set our franchise back 5-6 years. Rebuilding sucks, but Ballard has to rebuild what Grigson set ablaze and let burn to the ground..

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Before doing any research, I was all for this signing.

I still am because we have the money and he is only 24.  

I'm not quite as high on him now though.   Typically if so much of a fan base are glad to see a player go, it means something.   Making music videos of a players drops is worrisome.  

I'm a little surprised that one of our only 2 signings is a position that is not near the top of our needs.

Perhaps Ebron will get his head in the game now that he has a change of scenery.   We need bodies to catch some balls.

I get this, but, Lions fans are likely reacting to the return on the teams investment in Ebron. The Colts aren't spending a top 10 draft pick on him, so its apples & oranges...

Ebron averaged 3.3 receptions a game, at over a 10 yard average per reception, last season. To me that seems like a solid contributor.

Even if Ebron doesn't light the NFL on fire, he is good for 2-4 first downs a game...

I fail to see what is not to like...

11 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

I'm not sure why People are labelling Ebron as a TE2. He has every opportunity to take the TE1 role from Doyle IMO.

Doyle can be an 'H' back, too...or an inline blocker..

Ebron doesn't block well.

They compliment each other. there wont be a '1' and '2'

Why? Such player is not useful You can get this type of TE production from a 5th rounder on the draft. Ballard must be banging his head on the wall to come up with ideas fro bad signing. Big Money fro a bust TE. May as well held on to Allen then.

43 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

Not to trying to pick on your post because I'm frustrated too but why not be mad at the gm that put us in this hole and not the one that is having to do the slow diligent work of digging us out of this mess. Ballard gets a lot of flack because he isn't trying to go for short term glory and doing his job of looking towards building a team to be successful for the next 10-15 years of Luck and not just the next 2 years. Positioning us for extra picks, compensatory picks, and stock piling money for when this team is really ready to compete. He doesn't have the luxury of being short sighted. We had a GM that focused on the short term goals and its a major reason why we are in this hole.

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Swope has 15 catches over 3 years... hardly a mismatch 

Not true. Sometimes players want longer term contracts vs more money annually on a shorter contract. 

EX:

player gets a two year offer worth 15 million, 7.5 annually as a base from team A.

team B offers a 3 year, 18 million, , 6 million annually as a base.  Player may chose team B's offer simply because he doesn't want to be back on the FA market every other year. 

If you look at what Norwell was saying via the reports all off season was that he was looking for a LONG term contract. Which some teams don't like to hand out to FA as the fact of the matter is, FA is a crap shoot, you don't always get the performance from a player that led them to the big payday. 

He would have been our TE2 last year if he wasn't injured Ebron 7.5 million for a guy that most of the time cant catch a cold.

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

a guy that most of the time cant catch a cold.

Where are you getting this from?

It's already been pointed out that Ebron had a better catch-drop ratio than almost every other TE, including Doyle.

He had ONE big crucial drop at the end of a game...

:scratch:

4 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He would have been our TE2 last year if he wasn't injured Ebron 7.5 million for a guy that most of the time cant catch a cold.

Would of, could of, should of... doesn't cut it.  I like Swope but he's not the be all end all, 15 catches... 15 catches.

i'm not a giant fan of Ebron HOWEVER, you're flat out lying when you say he can't catch a cold.  Tight Ends don't catch 186 passes in a 4 year window if they "can't catch a cold".  Ranks 5th in the league in that time.  it was posted in here earlier, he had just ONE, ONE more drop than Doyle.  So cool it.

9 hours ago, Shive said:

Autry had 5 sacks as a backup, which is half a sack behind our sack leader last season (Sheard). Also, only $6.5M of his contract is guaranteed. John Simon was also a back up that we signed to a decent contract and he played lights out.

I like Swoope, but the only thing he's shown is a few flashes in the pan. There's no telling how he'll do after recocing from the injury and being out of football for a year. For a guy so new to the game, a year off could derail him a bit.

Ebron has similar upside with a MUCH lower floor. It's a good signing to give us a proven TE talent that could still improve. If Swoope is the better TE, I'm sure he'll sit higher on the depth chart. Worst case, one of our TE4 or TE5 will get cut.

Signing these two guys doesn't contradict what Ballard has been saying. He's signed an ascending DE talent to a very team friendly deal and a talented, young TE that hasn't reached his potential to what looks to be another team friendly deal.

A word of advice, stop looking at the contract potential and look more at the guaranteed money and structure.

Ebron is a guy that couldn't ever put it together with the lions what makes everybody here think he will here as far as I'm concerned he is another Dwayne Allen who cant catch a cold.

38 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I'm asking again,  why do you write things like this when they have been shown to be demonstrably not true?

44 minutes ago, Shive said:

I don't think concerns about Luck's window play much into Ballard's plan. He's trying to build a solid foundation that will lead to sustained success. Going "win now" because of Luck is what Grigson did and it set our franchise back 5-6 years. Rebuilding sucks, but Ballard has to rebuild what Grigson set ablaze and let burn to the ground..

if ballard wastes lucks career then he should be fired.  luck is the more important of the two

i like this pick up though 

The "Swoope was never a mismatch" thing is funny to me.   If you've watched Swoope against almost any linebacker you'd know he's definitely a mismatch.  If you watched the Raiders game you'd know his speed even game a defensive back problems.  The only thing he lacks is some more experience, but there's enough proof there to call it more than a flash in the pan.    That's being stubborn and dismissive.    As soon as somebody gets injured it never takes long for the Over Rated crowd to come out spewing nonsense.  The guy can't help that his career just got started in 2016!  I would most certainly roll with Ebron, Swoope, and Doyle.   I see no need to draft another tight end. 

23 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Ebron is a guy that couldn't ever put it together with the lions what makes everybody here think he will here as far as I'm concerned he is another Dwayne Allen who cant catch a cold.

How many times are you going to say "Can't catch a cold"?

It wasn't funny the first time.

39 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not to trying to pick on your post because I'm frustrated too but why not be mad at the gm that put us in this hole and not the one that is having to do the slow diligent work of digging us out of this mess. Ballard gets a lot of flack because he isn't trying to go for short term glory and doing his job of looking towards building a team to be successful for the next 10-15 years of Luck and not just the next 2 years. Positioning us for extra picks, compensatory picks, and stock piling money for when this team is really ready to compete. He doesn't have the luxury of being short sighted. We had a GM that focused on the short term goals and its a major reason why we are in this hole.

If these people lack the knowledge to get this on their own, no explaining is going to get through. lol
Irsay and Ballard get it. It would be awesome if we drafted 1st in 2019.

44 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Luck will be 29 when the season starts.   We most likely won't have him for 10 more years much less 15.  

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

If these people lack the knowledge to get this on their own, no explaining is going to get through. lol

Are you saying that they are planning to tank?

2 hours ago, Gocolts-Rolltide said:

We didn't sign him to block at all... he's a weapon for Andrew.. that's it.. Doyle is phenomenal blocker let him handle that 

Doyle is not good enough as a pass blocker. Just ok as an in-line run blocker
And pretty solid as a H-back, full back. We will see how Ballard & Reich feel about this. JMO

21 minutes ago, Myles said:

Luck will be 29 when the season starts.   We most likely won't have him for 10 more years much less 15.  

And yet hopefully Ballard is preparing and establishing an organization and culture that will last well past Andrew.

I watch the way Philly used ALL of their TEs last year and I am super excited for this signing. It is contingent on Ebron stepping up his game but he has all the tools...and now has a coach that should put him in position to succeed. I like the signing!

24 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I'm with you. Not sure about drafting 1st but I expect to be in the late teens maybe early 20s. Be great if Jets pick 1st....then that 2nd round pick is like 33 overall.....that would be very nice!

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

And yet hopefully Ballard is preparing and establishing an organization and culture that will last well past Andrew.

i feel differently.  i think ballard should go if he does waste lucks career

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I watch the way Philly used ALL of their TEs last year and I am super excited for this signing. It is contingent on Ebron stepping up his game but he has all the tools...and now has a coach that should put him in position to succeed. I like the signing!

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/3/20/17141874/new-colts-tight-end-eric-ebron-offers-diverse-skill-set-in-new-look-offense

This is a nice little write up as to what Ebron could bring to the Colts O this year.

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i feel differently.  i think ballard should go if he does waste lucks career

How is Ballard wasting his career. He didn't put the rosters together that led Luck to taking all those hits and getting injured and even missing a whole season. So how is it worse to take a season to build the team up in the draft around him then it is to get him creamed and knocked out of a season? Force him to carry an inept team for two seasons because it couldn't draft a decent player to help him. Ballard may go if he screws up the next couple drafts...but so far he hasn't wasted anything from Luck...he hasn't even had Luck play for him yet!