Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts now at top of Salary Cap list

1959Colts

1 hour ago, Peterk2011 said:

Yeah. By the rate Ballard is stockpiling early round picks, he will need that cap capital in 3-4 years time to keep our own guys. :D

Btw, if you check how recent contracts are structured by a number of teams (especially Niners, Jets, and Colts) you will notice a pattern. There are no backloaded contracts any more. These teams frontload their contracts. Instead of giving high signing bonuses (and thus, backloading and/or creating potential dead money if cutting), they give low signing bonuses and guarantee roster bonuses instead. The structure frontloads contracts while keeps real cash spending at the same rate. And practically no dead money after year 1 (2 for top contracts)..Check Garoppolo's contract for example. His cap hit in 2018 is 37M, and from 2019 and on it's low 20 ish.

This new way of cap "bookeeping" helps teams rolling over some of their cap for next year, and will keep them on top of the salay cap list year by year. The Colts are one of the pioneers doing this. I believe we will see the real effect / advantage of this in 2-3 years. (Unless the new CBA due in 2021 will create an entirely different business environment / market, but I doubt so.)

Read above :)

This is spot on.

It is also why I hate that we aren't spending some right now.

By not spending now, sure we can roll money over. But all these other teams are creatively structuring things so that every year or every 2 years they have tons of cap room again and again.

So unless we plan to overpay a guy bigtime in a year or two, we will have competition for the good players in the next year or two anyhow.

Not spending now really is just a tactic to not overpay this year. Rolling that money over will help a bit. But only if we plan to pay top guys $20M next year when other teams are still trying to pay them $15M lol

The colts are being frugal and stockpiling draft picks just like they should of done in Lucks rookie and 2nd year. However, no one expected us to go 11-5 his first three years and it accelerated the process. Created premature FA signings before we were able to establish a real core of players. All the bad teams will draft 9-12 players each draft for 2-3 years and if half of them stick they will supplement with free agency and become contenders. We never had the chance to do that and our barren roster is evidence of it.  

I love the way Ballard is going about this and I hope we trade 1-2 of the 2nd rounders to move back a few spots and gain 2019 picks. We will have the cap flexibility to sign our own and add the few FA pieces it requires to be playing to win in January. 

Colts fans abs have been spoiled with our success from the Manning years and the first 3yrs of Luck. We need as much ammo as we can to get more players like Freeny, Mathis, Clark, Wayne, Addai, Bethea, Brackett, Harrison, Saturday, Sanders etc via the draft or UDFA. Those were homegrown players and created the core that last. 

7 hours ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Teams DO do just what I suggested...it's how Jax has had so much to spend the past couple years.

Teams go from worst to 1st often, with a good QB especially. None of the "top guys" this year are worth the $ they are getting...once we have a year or two under our belt with this coaching staff and draft class etc, look for us to spend what it takes to have a contending team for the long haul.

Of the "top guys" this year, how many had everyone wanted so badly before this season? Many came out of nowhere in a contract year. Top players don't often reach FA, and none of this year's guys would have put us over the hump. In another year, that may be a different story and there may be better players to sign.

Just my honest opinion. 

Yes but not ALL of your cap space will rollover. You have to spend a minimum amount, one that I don't think we have done yet. Even then I don't think it all rolls over. At some point we're just throwing money away by not spending it. 

21 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Yes but not ALL of your cap space will rollover. You have to spend a minimum amount, one that I don't think we have done yet. Even then I don't think it all rolls over. At some point we're just throwing money away by not spending it. 

There is no money going to be thrown away.

This years cap rollover doesn't have to submitted till the end of the season. So we have till then to spend money.

3 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Who's contracts are we renewing mid season?

The Colts will spent the money between now and the start of the season. That includes after the final cuts are made.

Besides, if any rollover money is left it goes to the Colts players. So either way it is not thrown away.

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Colts will spent the money between now and the start of the season. That includes after the final cuts are made.

Besides, if any rollover money is left it goes to the Colts players. So either way it is not thrown away.

If/as extra rollover money goes to Colts players, it's absolutely thrown away. Many of those players might not be even on Colts roster when the next CBA starts and the money could've been used to acquire useful players on even making Osweiler trades if nothing else. But we are long away from that as Colts still have 3 seasons to spend the money.

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

So you'd rather overpay for someone just for the sake of saying you signed someone?  Smart cap management is a big part of building a winner

No I rather sign a proven OL to protect the QB even if it means paying a little more than I would like

12 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

No I rather sign a proven OL to protect the QB even if it means paying a little more than I would like

Overpaying for talent is an easy way to ensure your team has difficulty winning in the future.  This is about the long term success of the Colts, not the immediate short term

47 minutes ago, Finball said:

If/as extra rollover money goes to Colts players, it's absolutely thrown away. Many of those players might not be even on Colts roster when the next CBA starts and the money could've been used to acquire useful players on even making Osweiler trades if nothing else. But we are long away from that as Colts still have 3 seasons to spend the money.

I honestly don't think there is going to be any cap rollover money left. It will be spent. There will be players cut from other teams I am sure that will be able to help the Colts. Every year good players are cut off other teams. It's just a matter of picking the right ones to sign.

10 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

What does that have to do with what I said?  I said overspending now will hurt the team in the future.  I said nothing about the draft being guaranteed

And missing on a draft pick, when you elected to do nothing in Free Agency won’t hurt?

8 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Typically though the contracts for players from the draft are less than what you pay for contracts in free agency so the financial risk isn't as great.

I understand that aspect! Now we have to hope that draft picks work out, when we possibly could have signed a proven FA and then gave ourselves a little wiggle room come draft time. Now if you miss on that draft pick, you’re further behind the 8 ball

8 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Typically though the contracts for players from the draft are less than what you pay for contracts in free agency so the financial risk isn't as great.

True, however there are other risks and money to think about.   Rookie contracts are great for teams.   But some QB's need 2-4 years to get to the point where they can win playoff games.   Same with players at other positions.   The right free agent can come in and produce immediately.  

Cap hit wise is similar.   Sure there is a bargain aspect of the rookie contracts, but when they are up, you have to pay out the wazoo.   So  teams are putting off what will come up later.  Although they do buy themselves time to evaluate the players worth during that rookie contract.  

Free agent contracts give the teams a chance to load the bulk in whichever year they see fit. 

I do think 1 year FA contracts are a stupid choice.

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

And missing on a draft pick, when you elected to do nothing in Free Agency won’t hurt?

This isn't about making or missing on talent.  It's about overpaying for talent.  I never said Ballard will hit on 100% of his draft picks.  Again, I don't know what this has to do with what I originally said.

4 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

This isn't about making or missing on talent.  It's about overpaying for talent.  I never said Ballard will hit on 100% of his draft picks.  Again, I don't know what this has to do with what I originally said.

Ok

On 3/18/2018 at 6:04 PM, dgambill said:

Tennessee still sitting nice. Suh taking a visit there today. Look for him to sign. They need pass rushers.

And the Colts don't?  Colts could use some impact players..... What is NFL Rules on Tanking... 

19 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

And the Colts don't?  Colts could use some impact players..... What is NFL Rules on Tanking... 

We did sign a pass rusher Denico Autry who I think will be a very nice rotational player for us. I do agree I'd like to see us target a penetrating DT that can cause some havoc inside.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We did sign a pass rusher Denico Autry who I think will be a very nice rotational player for us. I do agree I'd like to see us target a penetrating DT that can cause some havoc inside.

No doubt. Unfortunately we have a lengthy list of must adds to make our Colts a contender.

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

No doubt. Unfortunately we have a lengthy list of must adds to make our Colts a contender.

Yep. I will say this....Ballard better nail the next couple drafts. He has put such a HUGE focus and emphasis on team building through the draft that if he doesn't it will be clear and evident on the field....this team won't be 8-8 like the previous regime...it will be 4-12, 5-11, 4-12. I think he is doing the right thing but it will be much clearer if he fails to bring in quality young talent.

On 3/18/2018 at 6:55 PM, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Not that I think it’ll happen or any of these guys actually hit FA in 2019.  But that class is MUCH stronger.  Aaron’s Donald, Zach Martin, CJ Mosley, Khalil Mack.  Some of those franchises have serious cap constraints.  Be frugal with the money this year a good draft and sign some guys next year and we are back in the mix. 

Not one of them will hit the market

7 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

Not one of them will hit the market

Martin and Mosley might.  As it stands right now the Cowboys have virtually zero cap space next year without an inevitable increase. And the Ravens are hurting as well.  But I clearly stated in my post that I didn’t think it would happen.  Mack will for sure get locked up or tagged and same with Donald but they are going to have some cap issues soon.  Gotta lock up Donald, Peters, Gurley, Goff, etc... the Cowboys have some tough decisions to make.  Next year they have to pay Martin and maybe Fredrick (not sure).  The following year they have to pay Dak and pick up Zeke fifth year option. And then they have to pay Zeke.