Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Armchair GM's post-Jets trade mock

This is my third mock this year -- this one required by the Jets trade, moving us down from 6 and giving us 2 extra 2nds.  (Did I mention I LOVE this trade?)

So, now, after my "My Guys" list, and The Trade, here's...

2018 Mock Draft

1 - 6  Quentin Nelson, G, Notre Dame

2 - 36  Conner Williams, T, Texas

2 - 37  Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama

2 - 49  Hercules Mata'Afa, DE, Washington State (He's a baaaad - Shut yo mouth!)

3 - 67  Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Date

4 - 104  Alex Kappa, T, Humboldt State

5 - 140  Shaquem Griffin, LB, UCF (Yes, he's a great story, but he's still a speedy, undersized LB with one hand from a small school.  Despite his postseason heroics, his highest ceiling is as a Starter.  That's it.  I will be surprised if he goes to a pro bowl as a LB.  Special teams player, maybe.  Love the guy.  But let's be realistic, here.  Round 5 is where he belongs.)

6 - 178  Garrett Dooley, LB, Wisconsin

7 - 221  KC McDermott, T, Miami

I know, my mock does not address the gaping hole at corner.  It's geared toward solidifying the offensive line, and dealing with pass rush and building the 4-3.

I can see the Colts taking Minkah Fitzpatrick at #6 and playing him at corner, as Tampa 2 corners play like zone safeties.  In that case, the Colts had better cross their fingers that Mewhort comes back healthy, if he comes back at all.

3 minutes ago, CopenhagenColt said:

A little heavy on the tackles, but wouldn't mind Nelson, Williams and Evans (major steal in the second round). St. Brown would be nice. Would probably add a CB in the 4th or 5th.

True, that.  Although I'm not a fan of any of the corners projected that low.  My lowest corner in "My Guys" is Rashaan Gaulden from Tennesee (he of the double-bird fame).  But he's projected to rounds 3 to 4.  Would you draft him in place of Alex Kappa in my list?

Just now, HarryTheCat said:

Equanimeous Tristan Imhotep J. St. Brown. Yup. That's his real, full name. He has two brothers, Osiris Adrian Amen-Ra J. St. Brown, and Amon-Ra Julian Heru J. St. Brown.

someone fascinated with Pharoah's much lol.......wow~!

26 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

Equanimeous Tristan Imhotep J. St. Brown. Yup. That's his real, full name. He has two brothers, Osiris Adrian Amen-Ra J. St. Brown, and Amon-Ra Julian Heru J. St. Brown.

18 minutes ago, Crunked said:

someone fascinated with Pharoah's much lol.......wow~!

Those are the sons of the boy named Sue.

"And if I ever have a son, I think I'm gonna name him... Bill, or George, or any damn thing but SUE!"

07150216_z.jpg

33 minutes ago, SanDiegoColt8 said:

Overall I like the selections, but no RB?

Agreed.  But RB is a really sticky one.  If you draft a starter, franchise guy like Barkley, Guice, or Jones, you've just told Marlin Mack that he's never going to get a chance to start.  Ever.  So, if you're going to give Mack that chance, you need to find somebody complimentary.  Thunder to his lightning.  I love Sony Michel, but he's the same guy as Mack, a change of pace RB.  Nick Chubb?  I'm concerned with him.  I see too much Trent Richardson there.  Josh Adams in the 4th?  Dunno.  That's why I wanted to grab Carlos Hyde in free agency.  You could get the compliment to Mack without blowing a draft choice.  Now that he's gone, what do we do?  I'm guessing we're giving Mack the full opportunity this year, and see how it goes.

7 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Agreed.  But RB is a really sticky one.  If you draft a starter, franchise guy like Barkley, Guice, or Jones, you've just told Marlin Mack that he's never going to get a chance to start.  Ever.  So, if you're going to give Mack that chance, you need to find somebody complimentary.  Thunder to his lightning.  I love Sony Michel, but he's the same guy as Mack, a change of pace RB.  Nick Chubb?  I'm concerned with him.  I see too much Trent Richardson there.  Josh Adams in the 4th?  Dunno.  That's why I wanted to grab Carlos Hyde in free agency.  You could get the compliment to Mack without blowing a draft choice.  Now that he's gone, what do we do?  I'm guessing we're giving Mack the full opportunity this year, and see how it goes.

Matt Jones could be the 'thunder to Mack's 'lightning.  Like a more versatile Blount for Reich's offense.

25 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Agreed.  But RB is a really sticky one.  If you draft a starter, franchise guy like Barkley, Guice, or Jones, you've just told Marlin Mack that he's never going to get a chance to start.  Ever.  So, if you're going to give Mack that chance, you need to find somebody complimentary.  Thunder to his lightning.  I love Sony Michel, but he's the same guy as Mack, a change of pace RB.  

1. You don't avoid drafting talented players at a position of need to avoid hurting someone's feelings. Mack was selected as a later round back, whose skill set is that of a change of pace back that will most likely never start. Pretty much outside of QB, any position should be on the board for upgrades.

2. I haven't seen anything considering Michel only a change of pace back. He's a north-south runner that is quite the opposite of Mack's. His NFL draft profile for reference:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/sony-michel?id=2559842&id=2559842

3. With this mock, you're loading up at G. Williams is often listed as a T prospect, but with his short arms, he'll almost definitely get moved to G.

I think this mock goes to show that no matter what we do we're still going to have some big holes: OG, OT, RB, WR, LB, DE, DT, CB. We need almost everything except S (assuming the good health of Hooker and Geathers), QB (again, assuming a healthy Luck), and C (Kelly...health again). Oh yeah, and K. We're good there until AV decides to hang it up. We're going to have holes.

Nelson would really give another mauler on our line that would hopefully compliment Kelly. Your mock has some of the guys I want. Evans in the second would be amazing I’m really hoping him or Vander Eshe is available there to start building a homegrown LB core. Conner Williams I think kicks inside to play G and would be a good pickup but if we go Nelson in the first I’m hoping Mewhort comes back so we can use that draft capitol on D. Alex Kappa I’ve been looking into since Senior Bowl and I think he would be another mauler that would be a great pickup at 4. I’m not really liking the Hercules pick in the second I’m not sure his game will translate 100% to the pros. Good overall mock, great job.

4 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Still need a pass rusher.

I think he is hoping for Hercules Mata, afa  to be our pass rusher in the mock draft. Also I like the guy but I originally thought he be a round 3 or 4 draft pick not a high day 2 guy. dude has speed tho!!

12 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

This is my third mock this year -- this one required by the Jets trade, moving us down from 6 and giving us 2 extra 2nds.  (Did I mention I LOVE this trade?)

2018 Mock Draft

2 - 49  Hercules Mata'Afa, DE, Washington State (He's a baaaad - Shut yo mouth!)

5 - 140  Shaquem Griffin, LB, UCF (Yes, he's a great story, but he's still a speedy, undersized LB with one hand from a small school.  Despite his postseason heroics, his highest ceiling is as a Starter.  That's it.  I will be surprised if he goes to a pro bowl as a LB.  Special teams player, maybe.  Love the guy.  But let's be realistic, here.  Round 5 is where he belongs.)

I know, my mock does not address the gaping hole at corner.  It's geared toward solidifying the offensive line, and dealing with pass rush and building the 4-3.

I can see the Colts taking Minkah Fitzpatrick at #6 and playing him at corner, as Tampa 2 corners play like zone safeties.  In that case, the Colts had better cross their fingers that Mewhort comes back healthy, if he comes back at all.

Really like your first four picks. I doubt cb picks Herules but I would like to pick him there so he will not be gone by our 3rd pick. you may be right about the 6th pick being a cb (hope not especially if Nelson is there)

9 hours ago, nburgmei said:

I think this mock goes to show that no matter what we do we're still going to have some big holes: OG, OT, RB, WR, LB, DE, DT, CB. We need almost everything except S (assuming the good health of Hooker and Geathers), QB (again, assuming a healthy Luck), and C (Kelly...health again). Oh yeah, and K. We're good there until AV decides to hang it up. We're going to have holes.

we would not have these holes if we would have kept Hankins, Crief wr and Melvin. this is what I have against CB is that he created too many needs--we could have cut ties with these players next year. just mho

13 hours ago, gacker65 said:

Question, what makes you think Nelsom will be there at 6.  There is 2 teams ahead of us that need him as well (Giants and Broncos).

What makes me thing Nelson will be there at 6?  I think every team believes that Nelson just may be the best player in the draft.  But they can't do it.  They just can't bring themselves to pick a guard in the top 5.  They want to.  They really want to.  But won't be able to do it.

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

What makes me thing Nelson will be there at 6?  I think every team believes that Nelson just may be the best player in the draft.  But they can't do it.  They just can't bring themselves to pick a guard in the top 5.  They want to.  They really want to.  But won't be able to do it.

You can't draft a RB at 1, but it has been done.  I don't think this draft is going to go like what people think.

1 hour ago, gacker65 said:

You can't draft a RB at 1, but it has been done.  I don't think this draft is going to go like what people think.

I hear ya.  However, Saquan Barkley is the most dynamic player in this draft whose position doesn't start with a Q.  I would say of the five teams in front of us, only the Jets and the Broncos are pretty much assured not to be thinking about him.  We'll see!

On 3/18/2018 at 6:38 AM, John Hammonds said:

2018 Mock Draft

Only thing I would change is 1 - chubb 

CBA80D04-B33A-4822-B163-BAD8AF0B4D0B.jpeg

I like this draft overall, some good values IMHO.  BUT......as has been pointed out, they need a RB unless they can get one in FA still.  I say swap out the T from Humboldt St with one of the RB's and it looks a lot better.  Rashaad Penny from San Diego St might work here.