Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Indy Draft 4 OL with their first 5 picks?

Today's draft trade with NYJ makes this Colts draft day endlessly fascinating. One unrealistic scenario I thought of was this: should Indy select 3 or 4 OL with their first 5 picks? This is a fun exercise to think about, although certainly not a likely one. But I was curious: would I be happy if the Colts ended up taking this approach to FINALLY shoring up the o-line?

So I queued up a 5-round mock draft on FanSpeak and came up with an intriguing draft haul. It was painful to pass on so many defensive studs, but check out the results:

5aae1e6e6c89d_NFLMockDraft-Colts.thumb.png.5fb861dfbbc9d5adbc3dfc3db6a94f14.png

Round 1, Pick #6: OG Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame

Round 2, Pick #36: OG Will Hernandez, UTEP

Round 2, Pick #37: OT Kolton Miller, UCLA

Round 2, Pick #49: RB Sony Michel, Georgia

Round 3, Pick #67: OT Jamarco Jones

Round 4, Pick #104: DL Trenton Thompson

Round 5, Pick #140: WR Equanimeous St. Brown

I hope that the Colts take 2 guards in this draft, regardless. Indy's interior protection needs to be completely infused with new talent, to protect Luck and our future. Landing Nelson AND Hernandez, to flank Ryan Kelly, would turn arguably our biggest weakness into a promising strength. 

As for OT, this draft doesn't appear to be top-heavy but is quite deep. There's a few sites saying that Kolton Miller projects better as a RT, which is perfect for us. As for Jones, he apparently excels at pass protection and could be a mid-round steal. Castonzo is getting older & Indy needs to groom his future replacement. As for this season, he should provide good depth for the inevitable injuries that always derail the line.

Speaking of which, injuries are why I sneakily love this plan. Lack of solid depth has crushed the Colts time and time again. Finding 5 quality starters is important, but it's equally as important to have talent ready to sub in. With improved OL depth across all positions, maybe Luck could stay upright for a change.

Anyway, what would you think of the Colts taking this approach on draft day? The defense may be left lacking, which has gone on for far too many years here. But the O-line may finally be solved, once and for all. Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, pables21 said:

Today's draft trade with NYJ makes this Colts draft day endlessly fascinating. One unrealistic scenario I thought of was this: should Indy select 3 or 4 OL with their first 5 picks? This is a fun exercise to think about, although certainly not a likely one. But I was curious: would I be happy if the Colts ended up taking this approach to FINALLY shoring up the o-line?

So I queued up a 5-round mock draft on FanSpeak and came up with an intriguing draft haul. It was painful to pass on so many defensive studs, but check out the results:

I hope that the Colts take 2 guards in this draft, regardless. Indy's interior protection needs to be completely infused with new talent, to protect Luck and our future. Landing Nelson AND Hernandez, to flank Ryan Kelly, would turn arguably our biggest weakness into a promising strength. 

As for OT, this draft doesn't appear to be top-heavy but is quite deep. There's a few sites saying that Kolton Miller projects better as a RT, which is perfect for us. As for Jones, he apparently excels at pass protection and could be a mid-round steal. Castonzo is getting older & Indy needs to groom his future replacement. As for this season, he should provide good depth for the inevitable injuries that always derail the line.

Speaking of which, injuries are why I sneakily love this plan. Lack of solid depth has crushed the Colts time and time again. Finding 5 quality starters is important, but it's equally as important to have talent ready to sub in. With improved OL depth across all positions, maybe Luck could stay upright for a change.

Anyway, what would you think of the Colts taking this approach on draft day? The defense may be left lacking, which has gone on for far too many years here. But the O-line may finally be solved, once and for all. Thoughts?

Was this on classic or difficult? As a mock drafting lover I was just curious? 

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Was this on classic or difficult? As a mock drafting lover I was just curious? 

This was on difficult. Even then, I've noticed weird bugs in some of the drafts. A few guys tend to fall unrealistically far. In that case, I just avoid them because it wouldn't be remotely in the realm of possibility haha

Regardless, Fanspeak's "On the Clock" feature is ridiculously fun and free. What a great resource for mock draft nerds!

Just now, pables21 said:

This was on difficult. Even then, I've noticed weird bugs in some of the drafts. A few guys tend to fall unrealistically far. In that case, I just avoid them because it wouldn't be remotely in the realm of possibility haha

I would honestly love Nelson and Hernandez with the first two picks. However, I'd want no more than 3 O-Lineman in the draft unless we acquired more picks. Love the 4 guys you did get though.

Just out of curiosity, I did another Fanspeak mock focusing on landing 4 OL in our first 6 picks. I prefer this result, as our LB corps gets a much-needed upgrade too:

5aae2b5425fca_NFLMockDraft2-Colts.thumb.png.fbae01fcb72bb229097729ed84eab1ee.png

Nelson & Teller are pure G, while Price can be a versatile G/C combo. Heck, he can play all over the line. Orlando Brown could project as the future starting RT. They could all help pave holes for Ronald Jones, who would look really great in Colts blue. On D, beef up that LB corp with Jefferson and Griffin. Not too bad, even with the heavy OL focus.

Interesting haha

1 hour ago, pables21 said:

Who is playing OLB or CB?

4 is a bit much. I would love to have Nelson, and it wouldn't be awful pairing him with Hernandez. But in the real world, I can't imagine that happening.

Maybe a tackle and a guard. There's a lot of teams that need to upgrade O-lines so I expect that the top O-line prospects will get taken the two first days.

I think we'll take a linebacker in the second round for sure.

First round I hope we take Nelson, but Chubb could also be the choice. If Barkley falls because of a QB-frenzy, Ballard would have to consider him at 6.

Fun to play around with this, but in reality, the Colts have multiple needs and will not be able to focus solely on the O-line with the early picks. G, RB, WR, LB, CB, and pass rush. All are critical needs right now. 

No. Grigson spent 4/8 picks on OL and look how well that turned out. Our 1st rounder can hardly stay on the field and 2 rarely see the field. Haeg is the only consistent one of the group (in health terms). He isn’t even that good. Our best offensive lineman is Castanzo, Kelly is good when healthy. 

24 minutes ago, twfish said:

Do you use the fan drafted app?

I actually use first-pick most of the time, but I've just used the regular fan speak draft on my computer that's not premium, and didn't pay anything. I'm honestly playing fan speak right now only because first-pick doesn't have the updated trade up yet from the Colts and Jets, so I knew what he was talking about on the difficulty. I don't use any apps.

Okay cool, I was just curious as to what fans would think. Obviously this won't happen, as it's not realistic and is just a fun thing to ponder. I loved Indy drafting mostly defense last year, and would like to see them take a similar approach. Anyway, I don't think this upcoming draft could be any more exciting... unless Ballard adds even more picks hehe

10 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would honestly love Nelson and Hernandez with the first two picks. However, I'd want no more than 3 O-Lineman in the draft unless we acquired more picks. Love the 4 guys you did get though.

I think we have to get Nelson and Hernandez with our first two picks. we cannot go into the season with anything less than that. we cannot get cheap OL FA's and expect any other different results than we got last year. but for the other picks I would look to take care of other needs. Sony Michel will not be there in the 2nd rd

39 minutes ago, reidaj1812 said:

too many holes created by CB

That's a matter of opinion. We weren't going to be a contender this year. Ballard tried to fill needs in FA and for the most part, I don't blame him for not overpaying the guys we were in talks with. Most FA's this year got overpaid and for a team trying to build a solid foundation right now, overpaying for average to above average FA's is a terrible idea. That's the route Grigson took and we loathed him for it years later, yet Ballard doing the exact opposite now is getting a ton of undeserved criticism.

Patience. We may not win a lot of games this season, but it's not about winning immediately. It's about building the foundation for sustained success.

No.

Draft Going to play out like this (Sunday Day Beers Mock);

1. Darnold QB Browns

2. Barkley RB Giants

3. Rosen QB Jets

4. Chubb DE or Fitzpatrick CB Browns

5. Chubb DE or Fitzpatrick CB Broncos (Replacing Talib CB)

6.  (Mayfield or Allen QB) Buffalo

7. James S Tampa Bay...

8. Vea DT Bears...

9. Davenport, Landry, Key EDGE or Smith ILB 49ers

10. Davenport, Landry, Key EDGE or Smith ILB Raiders

11.(Mayfield or Allen QB) Miami

RD1: #6 and #67 (Traded to Buffalo) for #12, 22, 53, 56 Buffalo Selects (Mayfield or Allen QB)

RD1: #12 Nelson G ND (Think consensus is Guards do not go in the top 10 Wishful Drinking.

RD1: #22 Sutton WR SMU 

RD2: #36 O'Neil OT Pitt or Miller UCLA OT

RD2: #37 Alexander CB Louisville

RD2: #49 Jones II RB USC

RD2: #53 Hand DT Bama

RD2: #56 Goedert TE S Dakota State (Unless Ebron is FA...then Green DT USC)

RD3: #67 (Traded to Buffalo)

BPA...

1 hour ago, Shive said:

That's a matter of opinion. We weren't going to be a contender this year. Ballard tried to fill needs in FA and for the most part, I don't blame him for not overpaying the guys we were in talks with. Most FA's this year got overpaid and for a team trying to build a solid foundation right now, overpaying for average to above average FA's is a terrible idea. That's the route Grigson took and we loathed him for it years later, yet Ballard doing the exact opposite now is getting a ton of undeserved criticism.

Patience. We may not win a lot of games this season, but it's not about winning immediately. It's about building the foundation for sustained success.

sorry but it is about keeping our QB off of IR. should not count the cost with that

48 minutes ago, FalseStart said:

No.

Draft Going to play out like this (Sunday Day Beers Mock);

1. Darnold QB Browns

2. Barkley RB Giants

3. Rosen QB Jets

4. Chubb DE or Fitzpatrick CB Browns

5. Chubb DE or Fitzpatrick CB Broncos (Replacing Talib CB)

6.  (Mayfield or Allen QB) Buffalo

7. James S Tampa Bay...

8. Vea DT Bears...

9. Davenport, Landry, Key EDGE or Smith ILB 49ers

10. Davenport, Landry, Key EDGE or Smith ILB Raiders

11.(Mayfield or Allen QB) Miami

RD1: #6 and #67 (Traded to Buffalo) for #12, 22, 53, 56 Buffalo Selects (Mayfield or Allen QB)

RD1: #12 Nelson G ND (Think consensus is Guards do not go in the top 10 Wishful Drinking.

RD1: #22 Sutton WR SMU 

RD2: #36 O'Neil OT Pitt or Miller UCLA OT

RD2: #37 Alexander CB Louisville

RD2: #49 Jones II RB USC

RD2: #53 Hand DT Bama

RD2: #56 Goedert TE S Dakota State (Unless Ebron is FA...then Green DT USC)

RD3: #67 (Traded to Buffalo)

BPA...

how do we get 5# 2's?

28 minutes ago, reidaj1812 said:

sorry but it is about keeping our QB off of IR. should not count the cost with that

So because he didn't want to pay Jensen to be the highest paid Center in the league, or Norwell his monster contract, or Pugh his HUGE contract, he's not doing his best to build our oline? He tried. Those players decided to sign with other teams, for contracts that are just outrageous. If we were built to win and just needed a player or 2, I can see overpaying for a guy. We're nowhere near that right now.

19 minutes ago, reidaj1812 said:

how do we get 5# 2's?

In his scenario, we trade down with Buffalo and get not only their 2 #1's, but also their 2 #2's, giving us 5 #2's.

2 hours ago, Shive said:

So because he didn't want to pay Jensen to be the highest paid Center in the league, or Norwell his monster contract, or Pugh his HUGE contract, he's not doing his best to build our oline? He tried. Those players decided to sign with other teams, for contracts that are just outrageous. If we were built to win and just needed a player or 2, I can see overpaying for a guy. We're nowhere near that right now.

In his scenario, we trade down with Buffalo and get not only their 2 #1's, but also their 2 #2's, giving us 5 #2's.

sorry but cannot follow the logic. ok, so we miss out on the best OL in FA because we would have to overpay. what if, (and its already happened) we lose Luck and maybe even for good this time. would it then had not been worth paying a little more for a position of need?

those were like 5 year deals that could have been structure in a way to benefit the team. we need long term solid players for our OL. I can see being somewhat careful with some other positions and not overspending but the OL in a rebuild is necessary to protect our one great asset going forward

57 minutes ago, reidaj1812 said:

sorry but cannot follow the logic. ok, so we miss out on the best OL in FA because we would have to overpay. what if, (and its already happened) we lose Luck and maybe even for good this time. would it then had not been worth paying a little more for a position of need?

those were like 5 year deals that could have been structure in a way to benefit the team. we need long term solid players for our OL. I can see being somewhat careful with some other positions and not overspending but the OL in a rebuild is necessary to protect our one great asset going forward

For one reason or another, they didn't pick us. It may have been the money. It may have been wanting to play for a clear cut contender. It may have been to play in a state with no income tax. We don't know why these FA's didn't sign with us. I could justify Norwell's deal and that's about it. I'm not saying to let him sit behind a turnstyle line, but CB can only do but so much at this point. We're not a prime FA location right now and to get the top guys, we'd most have to pay way more than they were signed for.

I honestly think a change in offensive scheme, geared around getting the ball out of Luck's hands quickly will do wonders for us, even with the OL we have. FA isn't over and there's still an OL or 2 that could be traded for that could be difference-makers.