Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Buffalo?

Dark Superman

Since the Colts are still sitting high with the 6th overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, I couldn't help but wonder if the Colts and Bill's still could manage to pull off another trade? If the Colts could take Buffalo's two first round picks and possibly 1-2 of their second rounders I would be all for this. The second round the Colts would be able to fill a ton of holes, plus still have two first rounders in their arsenal.

On paper all those picks look great. Realistically no GM will hit on all those picks. I think the Colts should and will stay at #6 in order to select a blue chip prospect. After the first 10 picks or so, it gets far more difficult to successfully draft for value. 

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

On paper all those picks look great. Realistically no GM will hit on all those picks. I think the Colts should and will stay at #6 in order to select a blue chip prospect. After the first 10 picks or so, it gets far more difficult to successfully draft for value. 

I would be surprised if we went lower. Only way i see that happening, if what their looking for is gone and they get an offer after that with a lot more picks early 

They could sure that will probably depend on how the draft falls.

personally I expect the big four QBs and Barkley to go in the top five leaving the Colts with their pick of what’s left.  They could draft someone there or move back again.  

My guess is unless something crazy happens in the first five picks that they will stay at six though.

2 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I would be surprised if we went lower. Only way i see that happening, if what their looking for is gone and they get an offer after that with a lot more picks early 

With roster void of talent almost everywhere, I could careless if the Colts took even say D. James as long he ended up being a solid Pro Bowl player. He’s obviously not who I want or think the Colts need, but he may be the the best blue chip prospect player with a high ceiling for example. Which would be better IMO than drafting a player who doesn’t perform to expectations. Hopefully, I made sense. Maybe I got a little off track, but just my two cents.

38 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

Since the Colts are still sitting high with the 6th overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, I couldn't help but wonder if the Colts and Bill's still could manage to pull off another trade? If the Colts could take Buffalo's two first round picks and possibly 1-2 of their second rounders I would be all for this. The second round the Colts would be able to fill a ton of holes, plus still have two first rounders in their arsenal.

If one of the QB's is still available Buffalo would likely pay up, and it could be the Giants or Cleveland taking the deal.

23 minutes ago, MPStack said:

With roster void of talent almost everywhere, I could careless if the Colts took even say D. James as long he ended up being a solid Pro Bowl player. He’s obviously not who I want or think the Colts need, but he may be the the best blue chip prospect player with a high ceiling for example. Which would be better IMO than drafting a player who doesn’t perform to expectations. Hopefully, I made sense. Maybe I got a little off track, but just my two cents.

I would be ecstatic with James if they traded down again. The athleticism is off the charts. NFL.com has an NFC exec saying he might be a better prospect than Adams and their player comp is Eric Berry. And, much like Fitzpatrick, he seems like the type of player Ballard wants in the locker room.

I think the Colts need another great S for this new defense...and I think both James and Fitzpatrick are going to be great players.

I think Ballard might just trade back agian. I think BUF can offer enough to get his attention without decimating their draft. According to the draft trade chart, trading back from #6 to #12 and getting two mid-2nd round picks is a steal. Same with just getting #22. I also think he could be looking at future picks as well.

At the very least, I wouldn't mind seeing the Colts add one more day two pick...giving them 5 total. I think day two has starters at several positions and having five cracks at it should at least yield a few.

2 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I think that if Luck is ready to play we owe it to him to put the best available offensive line together to ensure his safety 

for his longevity for the future. something he should have had a long time ago

that's why even though it's not a fashionable pick we could use Nelson at #6 to help Luck 

Trade down hopefully.  As long as we stay in the top 12 we are fine. The more picks the better the chances. Dont bet it all on one guy. The odds are better getting as many bodies as possible. With injuries and everything that comes with the game getting a extra 3 or more picks makes more since than 1 guy at 6 when trying to rebuild a team IMO.

3 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

that's why even though it's not a fashionable pick we could use Nelson at #6 to help Luck 

Nelson is who I  initially wanted but we could get 2 or 3 good OL trading back instead of 1 potential great one. What if we draft Nelson and he tore his ACL ? It could happen. Quantity and Quality at the same time. More is better in our current situation. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/draft/draft-trade-chart/

According to this points chart, here is what Buffalo's picks are worth using points system:

Colts (round 1)  #6  =   1600

---------------------------------------------------

Bills (round 1)   #12 =   1200

Bills (round 1)   #22 =    780

Bills (round 2)   #53 =    370

Bills (round 2)   #65 =    265

Bills (round 3)   #96 =    116

Bills (round 4)  #121=     52

On 3/18/2018 at 1:14 AM, shastamasta said:

I think Ballard might just trade back agian. I think BUF can offer enough to get his attention without decimating their draft. According to the draft trade chart, trading back from #6 to #12 and getting two mid-2nd round picks is a steal. Same with just getting #22. I also think he could be looking at future picks as well.

At the very least, I wouldn't mind seeing the Colts add one more day two pick...giving them 5 total. I think day two has starters at several positions and having five cracks at it should at least yield a few.

I disagree.   Mostly because Nelson would be gone.   I am sold on the guy.   He's as much of a sure thing as there is.  

I think Buffalo would look to jump ahead of the Jets or at least Denver if they were to move up. It should be pretty much lock that 3 QBs are going in the top 5. CLE, NYJ and then whoever trades for #2, #4 or Denvers pick. Denver might pass on QB but if they get to choose for 2 of Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield/Allen, I don't think they will.

It's possible that Buffalo still wants to trade up to our pick. Maybe their guy has fallen there. But I think there's a big dropoff after Nelson/Chubb, so I would want an outrageous price. Though maybe they are both gone to Broncos and Giants before our pick comes up.

6 minutes ago, Finball said:

I think Buffalo would look to jump ahead of the Jets or at least Denver if they were to move up. It should be pretty much lock that 3 QBs are going in the top 5. CLE, NYJ and then whoever trades for #2, #4 or Denvers pick. Denver might pass on QB but if they get to choose for 2 of Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield/Allen, I don't think they will.

It's possible that Buffalo still wants to trade up to our pick. Maybe their guy has fallen there. But I think there's a big dropoff after Nelson/Chubb, so I would want an outrageous price. Though maybe they are both gone to Broncos and Giants before our pick comes up.

I guess it really depends on if all the QB's get snatched up at beginning of round one?

Perhaps one or two QB's slip down to Colts pick at 6?

Buffalo may then want to trade with us.

59 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

According to this points chart, here is what Buffalo's picks are worth using points system:

If the Bills are trading up you know it is for a QB so I think you need to exploit it for as many points as possible. I would want both 1st round picks, one of their seconds and depending on which 2nd either their 3rd or 4th round pick. Don't know if the Bills would bite but why not ask for a King's ransom.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:10 PM, DarkSuperman said:

I would do it..too....even if it was just for their 2 No. 1s

We don't need a QB....and if 4 QBs go in the Top-10....the number '11' pick is basically the No. 7 pick of non-QBs,,right.

So we trade the overall No. 6 for the No. 7 of non-QBs   AND the No. 22 overall.  I'd jump on it

We need a lot of young blood defensively and it wouldnt hurt to grab an offensive lineman.

Good O-linemen will be available at '22' and good corners or linebackers will be there at '11''

14 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

If Nelson and Chubb are gone, would you do it then?

I think you would have to. 

If two of the first five picks are Nelson and Chubb, and you assume Barkley would be gone too, you have to assume a QB needy team are going to be willing to sell the farm to get to the third best QB prospect for this year (who they may even like more than the other QB's already gone since there doesn't appear to be a consensus on the order).

Ballard could demand a King's ransom.

If one of the top 4 QB's is left @#6, the colts will trade down. Buffalo will try and make a deal with browns/giants before draft. They want a qb badly. But if they dont, they are our best trade partners(2 1st, & 2 2nds).

But other teams like phinns will kill for a QB as well.

The key is if mayfield or allen are still there @6.

We have a chance at completely owning the Top 50-65.

On 3/17/2018 at 11:18 PM, MPStack said:

I agree with you on what you said, but hypothetically if the colts did give up #6 for 12 and what is their 2nd one 21 or 22? I think Davenport will be there at 12. BUT that being said, I don't think we should move back anymore even when or if both barkley and chubb are off the board. Because in that case, Quentin Nelson should be available at 6. 

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If one of the top 4 QB's is left @#6, the colts will trade down. Buffalo will try and make a deal with browns/giants before draft. They want a qb badly. But if they dont, they are our best trade partners(2 1st, & 2 2nds).

But other teams like phinns will kill for a QB as well.

The key is if mayfield or allen are still there @6.

We have a chance at completely owning the Top 50-65.

Mayfield or Allen may be there at 6. I think the top 5 picks will be 

Cle - Barkley

Giants - Rosen

Jets - Allen

Cle - Chubb 

Den - Darnold 

Reason I see Cleveland going Barkley one and Chubb at 4 is because they let Crowell go. And Chubb I believe they will draft at 4 because having him opposite of Myles Garrett would make their DLine scary. 

At the same time, I don't see the colts trading back. With Nelson still being available at 6 I think that is who they take. 

BUT what would be funny is IF the Jets dont go QB at 3. Wilkerson is gone from their DLine, I would laugh if they went Chubb at # 3. and as FA goes on, if they go after Bridgewater, I could see the Jets going Chubb at # 3. Call me crazy, but I would not put it past them. 

This is actually going to be the fascinating aspect of the draft.

As others have said, there is a very real chance that the top 3 picks are QBs. The Giants could take one or if not trade down to someone who wants one.

If the top 3 are QBs, there is the chance that Cleveland stays at 4 and takes the best non-QB (whoever they think that is) or Cleveland could realistically trade down w a QB needy team.

In the end we have a very real chance that 4 of the top 5 picks are QBs. If so, the Colts stay at 6 and take one of the 2 best non-QBs in the draft (whoever they deem it to be).

If "Only" 3 QBs go in picks 1-5 that is where it gets interesting.

Clearly anyone that wants a QB needs to move up to get that 4th viable QB before they are gone. There could be a bidding war that nets us way more than that #6 pick should be worth.

That is where Ballard will have a tough call. Stay and take the last remaining elite talent (one of Barkley/Chubb/Nelson) or sell the chance to get that guy for what will probably be 4 picks?

I think this is the only situation where our choice is up in the air.

If Barkley and Chubb and Nelson all go in the top-5 in front of us, then there are 2 QBs left and we trade down for a big ransom.

If 4 QBs go in the top 5 then that means no one is trying to move up for a Jackson type and we stay put and take one of the top-2 non-QBs.

It only gets really interesting if 3 QBs go in the top 5 and we have that tough decision to make to either take a remaining elite talent or fall back for what should be 4 total picks.

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

the Jets picks they gave up were worth more than the colts 3rd pick. 

3rd pick - 2200

6th pick - 1600

37th - 530

49th - 410

2540 points right there and that isn't including next years 2nd rounder, because we don't know where the jets will be in the draft yet. it could be a first 5 pick in the 2nd round or late 2nd pick. either way the colts got more out of it. by at least 600 points. 

so I don't base the whole point system for picks on trades. teams will do what they need to do to move up to get a " franchise QB " and the Jets proved it. I feel they gave up A lot ( and don't get me wrong I am glad the colts got what they got it helps the rebuild move faster) but the Jets had to do what they needed to in order to be in position for the QB of their future. But I don't think the Bills will trade up for a QB. I think they give McCarron a chance.  especially after signing him to a 2 year 10 million dollar contract, with another 6.5 million dollars in possible bonus money. you don't pay that for a back up. which makes this discussion about buffalo interesting. 

4 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

the Jets picks they gave up were worth more than the colts 3rd pick. 

3rd pick - 2200

6th pick - 1600

37th - 530

49th - 410

2540 points right there and that isn't including next years 2nd rounder, because we don't know where the jets will be in the draft yet. it could be a first 5 pick in the 2nd round or late 2nd pick. either way the colts got more out of it. by at least 600 points. 

so I don't base the whole point system for picks on trades. teams will do what they need to do to move up to get a " franchise QB " and the Jets proved it. I feel they gave up A lot ( and don't get me wrong I am glad the colts got what they got it helps the rebuild move faster) but the Jets had to do what they needed to in order to be in position for the QB of their future. But I don't think the Bills will trade up for a QB. I think they give McCarron a chance.  especially after signing him to a 2 year 10 million dollar contract, with another 6.5 million dollars in possible bonus money. you don't pay that for a back up. which makes this discussion about buffalo interesting. 

I agree 100% with the first part of this in bold. Teams will pay through the nose to get their QB and it is shown that if you hit on the right guy, it is totally worth it. Basically, a solid rookie QB on that rookie QB contract is NFL gold for building a quick contender. The guy just needs to be decent and you come out smelling like roses.

Philly showed this. And now teams like Houston, Tenn, the Rams, etc are trying to emulate this before that rookie contract comes due for the big extension.

I actually strongly disagree about the second part.

The top backup QBs in the league are making around $6M a year.

Foles, Bridgewater, Chase Daniel....these guys are all around $5-$6M a year.

So McCaron is being paid like a top notch backup QB.

IF he reaches all the incentives and makes the extra $6.5M then he would be paid around $8M a year. That would still be the lowest paid starting QB in the entire league that is not on a rookie contact.

Currently guys like McCown ($10M), T.Taylor ($15M), Dalton ($16M), Keenum ($18M) and Bortles ($18M) are the cheapest non-rookie contract starting QBs.

McCaron is being paid to be a bridge QB. He is being paid as a top-notch backup who can hold down the fort, but make no mistake....Buffalo is looking to and likely needs to get one of the top-4 QBs this year and they will have to pay someone big to do so.

The Jets saw to that for sure.

That is why the Jets move was brilliant. They simultaneously got in position to get their guy and set the market sky high so their division rival needs to give up the entire draft to move up and get a guy similar to what the Jets will get.

54 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

Cle - Barkley

Giants - Rosen

Jets - Allen

Cle - Chubb 

Den - Darnold 

Reason I see Cleveland going Barkley one and Chubb at 4 is because they let Crowell go. And Chubb I believe they will draft at 4 because having him opposite of Myles Garrett would make their DLine scary. 

At the same time, I don't see the colts trading back. With Nelson still being available at 6 I think that is who they take. 

BUT what would be funny is IF the Jets dont go QB at 3. Wilkerson is gone from their DLine, I would laugh if they went Chubb at # 3. and as FA goes on, if they go after Bridgewater, I could see the Jets going Chubb at # 3. Call me crazy, but I would not put it past them. 

You don't have CLE taking QB at #1 and you don't have them taking QB at #4 either?

Browns not taking QB at #1 is possible I guess but highly unlikely. Them not taking QB with either of their top 4 picks.. That's just not going to happen.

49 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

Cle - Barkley

Giants - Rosen

Jets - Allen

Cle - Chubb 

Den - Darnold 

I can't see brownies not taking qb @1 or 4 and the jets not getting one either.

But who knows lol

1. Come #Colts notes from @SI_PeterKing in his @theMMQB
  2. -Colts made the first call to OL-Ryan Jensen in free agency. Jensen ended up signing with Tampa.
  3. -Predicts there’s a good chance the the Colts aren’t done trading back in the draft.

...A second trade would mean Ballard would have turned the third overall pick into five players who would have a chance to start from this one trade alone.

Colts’ picks in the top four rounds now: 6, 36, 37, 49, 67, 104. If I were Ballard, I might trade down from 6 to Buffalo at 12 if the Bills would deal the 53rd overall pick and maybe the 96th pick as well—seeing that the price for a quarterback is more of a premium. But of course, this is probably a night-of-the-draft deal, because the Bills would have to see a quarterback they’d want here.

24 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:
  1. Come #Colts notes from @SI_PeterKing in his @theMMQB
  2. -Colts made the first call to OL-Ryan Jensen in free agency. Jensen ended up signing with Tampa.
  3. -Predicts there’s a good chance the the Colts aren’t done trading back in the draft.

I know Peter King and the CNNSI guys posted this stuff but I just cannot see it.

If Ballard was only given 1.12 and 2.21 and 3.32 I don't think he would move down off of 1.06.

Especially knowing that it would be for Buffalo to get their franchise QB (in that instance).

Realistically, Ballard got (3) second rounders to move down 3 spots and still have a shot at a "premium" guy.

If he moves down another 6 spots my guess is the "premium" guys are not there or at the very least are much less likely. To make that worthwhile I would expect he would need something in the same ball park as what he got before, if not more.

Would Buffalo move 1.12, 1.21, 2.21 and 3.01 for the right to move up to 1.06?

I could see them balking at that price tag.

If they offered 1.12 and 2.21 and 2.24 and 3.01 would the Colts bite?

That would be (2) 2nds and the 3.01 pick to move down 6 spots.

It would be Buffalo paying "2175" points for a "1600" point value.

Ballard got basically 35% extra value in swapping the 1.03 (got almost 3000 points for a 2200 pt slot). If he wanted the same return here, he would be asking around 2150 points or so.

So to me, I think Buffalo offering up 1.12 and (2) 2nds and 3.01 would be best for them and possibly the best offer we could reasonably expect.

I almost think I would rather sit at 1.06 and take the elite guy that falls to us. Unless, of course, only 2 QBs go before us and none of those Big-3 are there.

Then I would take whatever the best deal is we can get for 1.06 and fall back.