Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hankins Released

Case

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

My bad, it was Harrison who they brought in a s a FA agent from the jets.....to replace Hankins.  Point still stands.

Harrison played with Hankins on the Giants in 2016. Harrison signed a 5 year $46 million contract in march of 2016. 

The Giants also only had $7 million in cap space last year to work with. Hankins was priced out of their reach, even with him sitting in FA for over a month. I'm sure the Giants would love to have him back on a cheaper deal. 

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• I wonder if all the posters that are saying he wasn't a scheme fit are the same ones that were telling me that switching to a 4-3 was no big deal cause everyone we signed last year could play either scheme.........and if it wasn't that large contingent, then is it the other large contingent that said scheme doesn't matter because we will not be in our base defense very often in the modern NFL anyway.........

At any rate, still a surprise to me, must be a situation where we have someone big on the hook......cause you don't dump Hankins if you don't have an equal or better replacement in the wings.........

1 hour ago, NDcolt said:

Disagree, NO Luck & that’s exactly what this team needed which is the 3rd overall pick.  What would 8-8 have gotten us in 2017?  CB is setting this team up for many future runs at a title.  

Releasing Hankins just shored up 8 + Million dollars w/ no cap hit.  SMART move considering his production now we must wait for the counter move!

For starters, they thought Luck was playing last year, so it's not as though the #3 pick was part of some grand plan, and generally, I think you missed my point.  We wasted a season signing and drafting players for the old regime - Simon, Hankins, Banner for Philbin, etc.  If you change coaches and schemes last year, who knows what last offseason looks like.  You're a year behind where you could be, and any coach could have gone 4-12 or worse with Brissett or Tolzien, putting you in the same position you are currently in.

21 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Lol no one is calling him a genius (that I’ve seen), they’re saying wait until you have sufficient evidence to judge him.

What additions has he made that have been bad/terrible/disastrous? Which ones? Give me a list of the trades and signings or draft picks that have offended you?

Not the moves you think he should make , actual moves you can judge.

Lets see the list. 

Seriously? Its the weekend but there isn't enough time or space ink to compile the list.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Think he was in a 34 at osu.  And believe he was in a 34 until the Giants brought spagnola back.

Was thinking the same thing.  

Regardless, he's best as a run-stopping nose, and however they envision Eberflus' defense, Hankins is apparently not what they want.

Suh is scheduled to visit the Titans next.  Hankins played for Vrabel at Ohio State. This was done to give Vrabel a option versus Suh so doesn't feel he has to go all in on Suh now. He can now bring in Hankins for a visit and sign him for less money than Suh.  It's a perfect marriage and Hankins wasn't a perfect fit for our new 4-3.  Suh is a perfect fit for us and we bring him in and sign him something like  5yrs. 55m/ 60% guaranteed. 

32 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Suh is scheduled to visit the Titans next.  Hankins played for Vrabel at Ohio State. This was done to give Vrabel a option versus Suh so u feel he has to go all in on Suh now. He can now bring in Hankins for a visit and sign him for less money than Suh.  It's a perfect marriage and Hankins wasn't a perfect fit for our new 4-3.  Suh is a perfect fit for us and we bring him in and sign him something like  5yrs. 55m/ 60% guaranteed. 

You must be Irish and you must be intoxicated.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Get me the one they call Suh! No way Ballard is going into the draft with all this cash. Hes got something big planned.

That's why Hankins was released this afternoon. Hankins played for Vrabel at Ohio State.  Suh is going to visit the Titans next but now Vrabel has another player available and he knows him well.  He would probably cost less than Suh.  Hankins to the Titans and we get Suh.  That would qualify as a big plan. 

1 hour ago, Luckuania said:

Harrison played with Hankins on the Giants in 2016. Harrison signed a 5 year $46 million contract in march of 2016. 

The Giants also only had $7 million in cap space last year to work with. Hankins was priced out of their reach, even with him sitting in FA for over a month. I'm sure the Giants would love to have him back on a cheaper deal. 

That's the point. They signed Harrison for big money knowing he played the same position as Hankins.  And I'm sure they did that knowing g full well Hankins would leave in free agency.

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

Think he was in a 34 at osu.  And believe he was in a 34 until the Giants brought spagnola back.

Nah, Ohio State runs a 4-3 & sometimes 4-2 Nickel. Hankins played 3-tech and sometimes 5-tech. NY was 4-3 also. Spags had Fred robbins & Barry Cofield, both were big DTs that could generate pass rush. Hankins couldn't, so they let him walk in FA after acquiring Damon Harrison 

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That's why Hankins was released this afternoon. Hankins played for Vrabel at Ohio State.  Suh is going to visit the Titans next but now Vrabel has another player available and he knows him well.  He would probably cost less than Suh.  Hankins to the Titans and we get Suh.  That would qualify as a big plan. 

Stitches pointed my attention to David Irving from the Cowboys. That's another one that is attractive. 7 sacks from DT last year. Only 24 years old. 6'"7 290lbs. Can get for one of our 2nd founders. Interested to see if we move on that one also.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Completely agree. If nothing else I would think we could get a 4th for him. He was a good player last year.

So you would have gotten a 4th for him if nothing else, and Ballard couldn't get even a 5th, 6th, or 7th.
I know the light will never come on.

When Colts.com reports that it's a scheme fit issue they're half correct. Hankins can stop the run, but he gets No pass rush. One thing about the Seahawks & Giants 4-3 Defenses were DT that could get pass rush which in turn led to Tackles for loss.

3 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Well unless he somehow gets like 12 more picks this draft he wont fill all the needs this team has you have like 70 million in cap space you have to use a certain percentage anyway so I don't get why hes not trying to fill some needs via free agency.

it's called players being released after preseason. Good players get released all the time after the 90 man roster cuts

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

That's the point. They signed Harrison for big money knowing he played the same position as Hankins.  And I'm sure they did that knowing g full well Hankins would leave in free agency.

They chose Harrison over Hankins because Harrison is better than Hankins but that doesn't reflect poorly on him, Harrison is arguably the best pure NT in the game. 

Hankins was a valuable player and the Colts are flushed with excess cap space, the only way this makes any sort of sense is if Hankins asked for a release. Otherwise the Colts parted ways with a solid starter/role player for no reason. 

Cowboys fans have an interesting take on all this:

Eberflus clearly learned a lot from Rod but he's taking a bad habit with him in doing this. You better hope you have some darn good LBs or you'll get destroyed against the run. It's why Dallas always sucks when Lee goes down.

They sign undersized tackles because they're quick and they pay for it. It's so dumb.

This is my main concern, that bringing in speed/quickness at DT could very well lead to the run D suffering. It'll be interesting to see if all the recent improvement in that area vanishes this season.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Stitches pointed my attention to David Irving from the Cowboys. That's another one that is attractive. 7 sacks from DT last year. Only 24 years old. 6'"7 290lbs. Can get for one of our 2nd founders. Interested to see if we move on that one also.

I like Irving a lot. He was suspended the 1st 4 games and had a concussion the last four  but 7 sacks in 8 games is pretty impressive.  A definite candidate.  Shaq Barrett is another 25 yr' old with the tender that would be worth looking at.  A LB I believe.  Since we have done nothing with our OL so far I would also consider offering the Dolphins a second rd. pick for their RT James.  I think he's 24 or 25 and is a 1st. rd. starter.  They were trying to move him earlier for cap reasons but decided to hold onto him.  A  2nd. rounder might do the trick.  He would cost more at 9.5m this year but who cares we haven't spent anything yet and we could give him a new deal next year.  9.5m seems very reasonable considering the current OL signings.   I like these kind of moves because we have three 2's. and we know these guys are young proven players with high upside versus an unproven draft choice.  Can't hurt to trade one of them and get a young starter.  

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

This was my worry even before seeing this, that bringing in speed/quickness at DT could very well lead to getting torn up in the run game. It'll be interesting if all that improvement on run D vanishes this season.

i'm sure eberflus first year as a DC he'll put the right players in place to stuff the run. i'm also sure he's aware how horrible the cowboys were without the right type of athletic DT's however i really like how he had his LB's take away the pass. They were really stingy up the middle

WWe

14 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

This was my worry even before reading this, that bringing in speed/quickness at DT could very well lead to the run D suffering. It'll be interesting to see if all the recent improvement in that area vanishes wethis season.

we know the flaws of the scheme all too well. Remember we ran it here for years. Although I believe they will build it more like the Bears or Seattle. Both of whom were usually good against the run.

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

They chose Harrison over Hankins because Harrison is better than Hankins but that doesn't reflect poorly on him, Harrison is arguably the best pure NT in the game. 

Hankins was a valuable player and the Colts are flushed with excess cap space, the only way this makes any sort of sense is if Hankins asked for a release. Otherwise the Colts parted ways with a solid starter/role player for no reason. 

I have alrady called Hankins a solid player. Just don't think he warrants the reaction by some on this forum.

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

This is my main concern, that bringing in speed/quickness at DT could very well lead to the run D suffering. It'll be interesting to see if all the recent improvement in that area vanishes this season.

Well crap, looks like we'll be going back to our old 4-3 ways of getting torched in the run lol

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Or the Cowboys interior lineman just aren't any good.

I'm struggling to understand this move.  We're already talent deficient.  We haven't been active in FA.  We're flush with cash.  Why create more holes to fill during a rebuild?  Hank is young, talented, effective, and the biggest contract the colts put together last offseason......can anybody help me wrap my brain around this?

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

Good to see you on the board again.  I miss your draft breakdowns from years past.  One of the few things that really pulled me into the board lol.

I’m not sure how anything Ballard has said or done since he became GM would make anyone think that he’d bring Suh in. That’s pipe dreaming.

As far as Hankins goes, it could be about talent. They want athletic DTs who penetrate and rush the passer. I’m thinking a guy like Maurice Hurst might be right up his alley in the 2nd round. Maybe Bryant as well.