Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indianapolis Colts trade #3 overall pick to New York Jets (merge)

TKnight24

I just wonder why couldn't they wait until Draft day, see who's #1 and then #2 and then teams will be desperate or you might get the guy you wanted all along. Just because Mel Kiper has Barkley & Chubb going #1 & #2 doesn't mean that is how it will play out. Way back in 1999, Mike Ditka gave away everything to get Ricky Williams at pick #5 (Washington was #5)right after the Colts picked the Edge at #4 . It just seems Chris Ballard  got trigger finger before it was needed.

There are 520 posts as of the time I'm writing this.    I can't find it now,  but somewhere burried inside is a post that said,  we should make the deal with Buffalo ASAP -- the sooner the better.

Sorry,  but that won't be happening.

That's a deal that will likely only get made on the night of the draft when the Colts are on the clock.   Both we and the Bills need to see how the first five picks unfold.     Who is there for the Colts at 6?    Is the QB the Bills might want still  available at 6?      No one will know that untilt he time comes and we're on the clock.

Then,  and I think only then can that trade happen.   Hell, for all we know,  Buffalo may try to trade up with Cleveland at 4?    Or the Giants at 2?    Hard to know?

But I don't see that deal happening until the draft.....

• Like 3

Forgetting the numbered value charts, just intuitively, this is a great trade ... to move down ONLY three spots, but get in return THREE years of second round draft choices?  That’s fantastic and greatly accelerates this concept of building via the draft.  Again, terrific trade ... which equates to my “dream” scenario posted almost two weeks ago. :)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

Forgetting the numbered value charts, just intuitively, this is a great trade ... to move down ONLY three spots, but get in return THREE years of second round draft choices?  That’s fantastic and greatly accelerates this concept of building via the draft.  Again, terrific trade ... which equates to my “dream” scenario posted almost two weeks ago. :)

Two 2nd's this year and 1 next year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Two 2nd's this year and 1 next year.

3 second rounders that we don’t otherwise have = three years of second round picks.  Thus the trade accelerates a draft rebuild of premium second round picks by three years.

Put another way, if the Colts simply stood pat, it would have taken three more years after this year to add those premium talents to the roster.  Ergo, the trade = greatly accelerated rebuild via the draft.  KEY outcome for taking advantage of the Luck years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Chubb or Nelson should still be there at '6'

Browns and Jets will definetly take a QB....and somebody takes Barkley.

Denver wont take a defensive end

I think Chubb is very much there at '6'\\..and if he is, this is a very good trade for us

I'm a little antsy NY Giants dont take a QB at #2 and instead go with Barkley. Then the Browns proceed to take Chubb at #4. I didnt think it would happen that way earlier but....

• Like 1

Does anyone find it odd that all the best players in FreeAgency are signing with teams in our Division? Suh is now meeting with the Titans. It seems like every big name Free Agent is either signing with the Jags, Texans, Titans. It's the oddest thing Ive seen in a while. McDaniels left us hanging too. I am starting to think something goofy is really going on. DeflateGate = DeflateColts, JMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Does anyone find it odd that all the best players in FreeAgency are signing with teams in our Division? Suh is now meeting with the Titans. It seems like every big name Free Agent is either signing with the Jags, Texans, Titans. It's the oddest thing Ive seen in a while. McDaniels left us hanging too. I am starting to think something goofy is really going on. DeflateGate = DeflateColts, JMO.

I don’t know if it’s that, or we’re just not trying real hard to sign them. It seems like a meeting with Ballard goes as follows:

”Hey, welcome to Indy. We’re obviously interested in having you on our team, and I have right here, and am willing to offer you as much as a case of pop tarts, and some coupons for a free small fry at McDonald’s. Whadda ya say?”

Ballard has been all about not wanting to overpay someone life. 

You cant overpay someone if you don’t pay anyone. 

reece.JPG

5 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I don’t know if it’s that, or we’re just not trying real hard to sign them. It seems like a meeting with Ballard goes as follows:

”Hey, welcome to Indy. We’re obviously interested in having you on our team, and I have right here, and am willing to offer you as much as a case of pop tarts, and some coupons for a free small fry at McDonald’s. Whadda ya say?”

Ballard has been all about not wanting to overpay someone life. 

You cant overpay someone if you don’t pay anyone. 

reece.JPG

Maybe but it's just odd to me a lot of these big names are going to other teams in our Division. Even Honey Badger went to Houston, now Suh to probably Titans. Norwell going to the Jags was really odd considering every major media outlet had him going to the Giants.

Tony Pauline  
Tony Pauline 

@TonyPauline

We spoke about the 3rd pick being on the market way back at the Senior Bowl. To reiterate- the Colts want to come out of the draft with 3 linebackers. Don't be surprised if they make another move down (Bills or Miami for a QB?) draftanalyst.com/senior-bowl-bu… twitter.com/Rotoworld_Draf…

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Tony Pauline  
Tony Pauline 

@TonyPauline

We spoke about the 3rd pick being on the market way back at the Senior Bowl. To reiterate- the Colts want to come out of the draft with 3 linebackers. Don't be surprised if they make another move down (Bills or Miami for a QB?) draftanalyst.com/senior-bowl-bu… twitter.com/Rotoworld_Draf…

Edmunds, Vander Esch and Jewell. Get it done Ballard!

3 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

Edmunds, Vander Esch, Leonard 

... Jewell is a Pat Angerer 2.0 

Only problem I have with Leonard is if he is enough of a pass rusher for a 2nd round pick? I wouldn't mind the 3rd round, but he's not the best pass rusher IMO. He's fantastic at tackling though.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Only problem I have with Leonard is if he is enough of a pass rusher for a 2nd round pick? I wouldn't mind the 3rd round, but he's not the best pass rusher IMO. He's fantastic at tackling though.

I don't think we want as much pass rush in our 4-3.    I think we want the primary  rush from the front-4.

The pass coverage will come from the Back-7.   We want our linebackers to be able to cover and tackle.    It's not that our LB's will never rush..   I just don't expect rushing will be their primary responsibility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, horseshoepower said:

I just wonder why couldn't they wait until Draft day, see who's #1 and then #2 and then teams will be desperate or you might get the guy you wanted all along. Just because Mel Kiper has Barkley & Chubb going #1 & #2 doesn't mean that is how it will play out. Way back in 1999, Mike Ditka gave away everything to get Ricky Williams at pick #5 (Washington was #5)right after the Colts picked the Edge at #4 . It just seems Chris Ballard  got trigger finger before it was needed.

Why would you wait until draft day? Why give another team the chance to jump in front of you? It was a smart move on both sides.

• Like 1

My family moved to Indy in Peyton's rookie season, and I've been a Colts fan ever since. In that time, I can't recall ever being this excited about a Colts draft. Picking Luck #1 was fantastic, but also expected. Picking Freeney at #11 was great, but not as fun as being in the top 5. Selecting #15 last year was really exciting, but who could've guessed pre-draft that Malik freaking Hooker would fall to us?

I've always been envious of the teams picking in the top 10, frankly because we've rarely been there. That's a great problem to have (because it means you're winning), but I enjoy the draft so much. It's an annual bummer to analyze the 2nd and 3rd tier players, knowing that landing a true blue-chipper is out of the cards. 

But that's changed this offseason. For once, Indy was selecting in the top 5 & didn't need a QB. It's been so fun watching tape on guys like Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Nelson and Barkley, because we have a realistic shot at getting one of them. However, Indy still only had 1 pick in each remaining round. So it wasn't quite as exciting scouting Day 2, knowing we'd only land two guys.

So today's trade is the gift that I've always wanted as a Colts/draft junkie: we FINALLY HAVE MULTIPLE PREMIUM DAY 2 PICKS!! How freaking cool is it that Indy will have the 4th and 5th picks of Round 2, back-to-back?? Then they pick again in the top 20 of Round 2. On the rare occasion that we've ever had multiple round selections, it seems like those extra picks came near the end of a round. Not this time! These picks are premium, baby. Plus, Indy gets an extra Round 2 pick next year, to boot.

With one month to go, here's the thing: there are no guarantees. Maybe Ballard flubs the picks. Maybe he selects studs who get cursed with the injury bug. But you know what? For the first time as a Colts fan, I am having a freaking blast leading up to draft day. Will we stay at #6? Who do we take? Should the Colts trade further down the top 10, picking up even more selections? Do we stay put in Day 2, or move down for more draft capital? Do we acquire more future picks? I don't know the answer to any of these questions. But my inner draft junkie gets to legitimately ponder them for the next month. For that, I could not be any happier.

Well, unless the Colts draft Nelson, Chubb or Edmunds :)

• Like 1

Colts General Manager Chris Ballard has preached about building through the draft. Saturday he backed it up.

He traded the third overall pick for the Jets' pick at No. 6 and three second-rounders -- No. 37 and 49 this year and another in 2019. The Colts now own the 6th, 36th, 37th, 49th, 67th, 104th, 140th, 178th and 221st picks for the NFL Draft, which will take place from April 26-28.

An IndyStar Twitter poll was 80 percent in favor of the move. Many on Twitter have noted the Colts could still be setup to select pass rusher Bradley Chubb at No. 6 with as many as four quarterbacks and running back Shaquon Barkley or guard Quenton Nelson filling the top five picks.

6 hours ago, krunk said:

Tony Pauline  
Tony Pauline 

@TonyPauline

Malik Jefferson

Alabama LB

Mike McCray 

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Maybe but it's just odd to me a lot of these big names are going to other teams in our Division. Even Honey Badger went to Houston, now Suh to probably Titans. Norwell going to the Jags was really odd considering every major media outlet had him going to the Giants.

Best team in the AFC > Rebuidling team in NFC that’s in the same division as the defending champs who have gotten better and still have their franchise QB Colin back

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

There are 520 posts as of the time I'm writing this.    I can't find it now,  but somewhere burried inside is a post that said,  we should make the deal with Buffalo ASAP -- the sooner the better.

Sorry,  but that won't be happening.

That's a deal that will likely only get made on the night of the draft when the Colts are on the clock.   Both we and the Bills need to see how the first five picks unfold.     Who is there for the Colts at 6?    Is the QB the Bills might want still  available at 6?      No one will know that untilt he time comes and we're on the clock.

Then,  and I think only then can that trade happen.   Hell, for all we know,  Buffalo may try to trade up with Cleveland at 4?    Or the Giants at 2?    Hard to know?

But I don't see that deal happening until the draft.....

FWIW I made a post suggesting we trade this week or ASAP.  I mentioned Buffalo as a possibility and being the most likely because it was also reported we were in discussions with them after they made the move to 12.  I didn't advocate Buffalo but I new we were talking.  My whole point was to do it now when so many wanted us to wait until draft day.  That I thought would have been a mistake and It looks like Ballard agreed.  He pulled the trigger and I thought it was a great trade timing and all.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

FWIW I made a post suggesting we trade this week or ASAP.  I mentioned Buffalo as a possibility and being the most likely because it was also reported we were in discussions with them after they made the move to 12.  I didn't advocate Buffalo but I new we were talking.  My whole point was to do it now when so many wanted us to wait until draft day.  That I thought would have been a mistake and It looks like Ballard agreed.  He pulled the trigger and I thought it was a great trade timing and all.

Thanks....   appreciate that...   I thought it was you, but wasn't sure and didn't want to say so and have you feel singled out.

I wasn't trying to give you a hard time...  only trying to answer your thought about making thevtrade as soon as possible.

Hope I didn't step on your toes... and also hope my explanation about why the possible Buffalo trade likely can't happen until draft day makes sense?

Of course...   Buffalo could blow all that up by offering the moon to the Giants so the Bills can move up to two!   

But even if that happens...  I think there are other possible trades...   Tampa at 7..  Chicago at 8... and the 9ers at 9...   So Ballard might not be done wheeling and dealing...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks....   appreciate that...   I thought it was you, but wasn't sure and didn't want to say so and have you feel singled out.

I wasn't trying to give you a hard time...  only trying to answer your thought about making thevtrade as soon as possible.

Hope I didn't step on your toes... and also hope my explanation about why the possible Buffalo trade likely can't happen until draft day makes sense?

Of course...   Buffalo could blow all that up by offering the moon to the Giants so the Bills can move up to two!   

But even if that happens...  I think there are other possible trades...   Tampa at 7..  Chicago at 8... and the 9ers at 9...   So Ballard might not be done wheeling and dealing...

No problem sir.  I didn't think that at all.  And I agree.  I think more trades are coming and probably sooner rather than later.  We might have started the ball rolling and set urgency in motion.  And we could easily be a player once again IMO. 

• Like 1

I love this trade.  To go down only 3 spots, with all 4 of the teams in front of them needing QB's, and still have a shot at Chubb?  Or even Nelson?  GENIUS!  I dont think Barkley is in play, but I could still see the Colts with the option of having either Chubb or Nelson because I think at least 3 QB's will be taken before the Colts pick.  To me, the wildcard is the Broncos at #5.  They may not like the QB's remaining and go Chubb or Nelson.  But I could very easily see the Colts getting the guy they want at #6 and now having extra high 2nd rounders.  I love it!

The ONLY thing that worries me a bit is another team trading in front of the Colts that doesn't need a QB.  But that's it.

great to see a power move being made.   Only moving back a few spots but plenty of possible good pics if wise in the second round.   Have never been a big fan of Spending Sprees in free agency,  just never seem to get the bang for the big bucks.   I like this approach much better.

Special hi to all my old friend if they are still here,  first time signing into here and reading anything in almost a year.  Took awhile to get into the board,  lots of changes.   Hope everyone is well,  looking forward to the new season

On 3/19/2018 at 11:06 AM, AZColt11 said:

I love this trade.  To go down only 3 spots, with all 4 of the teams in front of them needing QB's, and still have a shot at Chubb?  Or even Nelson?  GENIUS!  I dont think Barkley is in play, but I could still see the Colts with the option of having either Chubb or Nelson because I think at least 3 QB's will be taken before the Colts pick.  To me, the wildcard is the Broncos at #5.  They may not like the QB's remaining and go Chubb or Nelson.  But I could very easily see the Colts getting the guy they want at #6 and now having extra high 2nd rounders.  I love it!

The ONLY thing that worries me a bit is another team trading in front of the Colts that doesn't need a QB.  But that's it.

It’ll be hard for a team that doesn’t need a QB to trade up in front of Indy unless they trade for the #4 pick Cleveland has. Cause the other teams all need QB. Whether they take a QB or not is the question 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2018 at 1:09 AM, krunk said:

Tony Pauline  
Tony Pauline 

@TonyPauline

I hope not...I would prefer staying at 6 and getting either Chubb or Nelson, who are game changers and elite players at their position. I'm not positive Smith or Edmunds are elite. 

Rashaan Evans is a good round 2 option

Malik Jefferson is a good round 3 option

Darrius Leonard is a good round 4 option

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2018 at 12:43 PM, BProland85 said:

I hope not...I would prefer staying at 6 and getting either Chubb or Nelson, who are game changers and elite players at their position. I'm not positive Smith or Edmunds are elite. 

Rashaan Evans is a good round 2 option

Malik Jefferson is a good round 3 option

Darrius Leonard is a good round 4 option

Shaun Dion Hamilton also a late option. Mike McCray from Michigan 

Dorian ODaniel from Clemson too