Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

At the rate we are going.......

needanoline63

So it’s no surprise that this has been a horrible off season so far. 3rd most salary cap space and we sign one guy(a rotational player). We lost Melvin,Moncrief, and gore and may lose mewhort. That leaves a void at those positions. The offensive line was supposed to be reinforced this off season, instead we have whiffed on some of the better linemen available So far. With that being said, this team needs a lot of help at way to many positions. Luck is gonna come back behind another horrible offensive line and probably go down again. At this point, although I like luck. How upset could you be if we traded luck to the browns for there first round picks and there 2nd round picks? Remember before y’all dig into me here, “it’s not about one player”. How upset could you be though with three of the top 4 picks?!?

5 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Sadly you are serious 

Yes I am. I don’t think you understand the importance of having a good offensive line in front of your franchise qb or any qb for that matter. Go look at the eagles,cowboys,raiders(even though their line under performed last year),etc, then you come back and talk to me little man. It’s not about one player :)

29 minutes ago, needanoline63 said:

Yes I am. I don’t think you understand the importance of having a good offensive line in front of your franchise qb or any qb for that matter. Go look at the eagles,cowboys,raiders(even though their line under performed last year),etc, then you come back and talk to me little man. It’s not about one player :)

So the importance of having a good offensive line is bigger than the importance of having a generational talent at QB? Unreal.

10 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

So the importance of having a good offensive line is bigger than the importance of having a generational talent at QB? Unreal.

What good is that generational talent if he can’t be protected or stay healthy?! “It’s not about one player” figured most of you would understand that about a team sport. Unreal

58 minutes ago, needanoline63 said:

So it’s no surprise that this has been a horrible off season so far. 3rd most salary cap space and we sign one guy(a rotational player). We lost Melvin,Moncrief, and gore and may lose mewhort. That leaves a void at those positions. The offensive line was supposed to be reinforced this off season, instead we have whiffed on some of the better linemen available So far. With that being said, this team needs a lot of help at way to many positions. Luck is gonna come back behind another horrible offensive line and probably go down again. At this point, although I like luck. How upset could you be if we traded luck to the browns for there first round picks and there 2nd round picks? Remember before y’all dig into me here, “it’s not about one player”. How upset could you be though with three of the top 4 picks?!?

I'll never know if I'd be upset about that trade happening because Cleveland wouldn't trade 2 firsts and 3 seconds for Luck.

22 minutes ago, needanoline63 said:

What good is that generational talent if he can’t be protected or stay healthy?! “It’s not about one player” figured most of you would understand that about a team sport. Unreal

It's much easier to get offensive linemen in than it is to pick up another phenomenal qb talent.

It's a team sport, but qb is the most important position in ALL sport. 

1 hour ago, needanoline63 said:

I saved your name on here so I can come back during the season to say I told you so ;)

:nono:  Be careful how you go about such... stay within the forum rules.

34 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

It's much easier to get offensive linemen in than it is to pick up another phenomenal qb talent.

Absolutely.  Besides, more than half the teams in the NFL need O line help.  The college game has changed, and it is changing the pro game now too.  Young QB's and O line need more spread and RPO looks to succeed as most are not fully ready for Pro NFL play right out college.  We need to improve the line, yes, but we need to improve the playbook, and the play calls too.  I believe Ballard and Reich can achieve this... without sending Luck to another team for all of the 1st rounders forever... or whatever.

Ballard is getting his * handed to him out here on the recruiting trail. Now your going to ask Andrew to come back and play behind a line that could possibly be worst than what he played with before.

Texans got better, Jags got better. I guess that leaves us with a shot for 3rd in the division.

Ballard may have wanted to be frugal but highly doubt he expected to be striking out more that Aaron Judge after the All Star Break 

Ballard's plan.

Step 1. Look at current coaches, players.

Step 2. Sigh your own players. Versatility on both sides of the ball. Foundation, not icing on cake.

Step 3. Look Luck's healing.

Step 1. If old coaches are not any good, sign your own new coaches.

Step 2. Closer look at players signed in 2017 with coaches signed in 2018.

Step 3. Sign more players for new schemes. Versatility on both sides of the ball. Foundation, not icing on cake.

3.1. Do not sign one year wonders: you can't count on them to produce long term (Melvin, Robinson).

3.2. Do not sign aged veterans (only stop gap): their wheels will fall off before another players get experience (Gore, Derrick Johnson).

3.3. Do not sign names: a lot of players known for highlights and from the past, not for all body of work (Trumaine Johnson, Darrell Revis).

3.4. Do not sign often injured players; you can't count on them to produce long term.

3.5. Do not sign players exelled in other schemes (Davis, Brown).

3.6. Wait for players, who will be cut after first wave start of free agency.

3.7. Wait for players, who will be cut after draft.

Step 4. If there are no good players to sign, DO NOT sign average ones just to fill the spots. You better resign+frontload current players, including young ones like Anderson, Geathers, and roll over to make future cap space even bigger.

Step 5. When your players are young, fit the schemes, signed for frontloaded contracts, when your coaches become comfortable at their jobs and have full season to elevate current player, future FA and drafft prospects... go FA full throttle!

I have been going from thread to thread with a general the sky is falling theme and deploying my best sarcastic effort. But I guess the coffee hasn't kicked in yet so I will try to be serious for just a second, lets see if I can make it to the end of the thought before the sarcasm kicks in......

Ballard has to be feeling a bit like the NFL wall flower this off season. Jilted by a coach and a handful of players early on in the Free Agency process. Has to be shaking his confidence in "process" at least subconsciously......whew....made it to the end.....

2 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Ballard is getting his * handed to him out here on the recruiting trail. Now your going to ask Andrew to come back and play behind a line that could possibly be worst than what he played with before.

Texans got better, Jags got better. I guess that leaves us with a shot for 3rd in the division.

Ballard may have wanted to be frugal but highly doubt he expected to be striking out more that Aaron Judge after the All Star Break 

As Yank fan, judge not same after hr derby and shoulder injury. Colts will be in last.

3 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Easy to get offensive lineman in?! I guess that’s why we haven’t signed any linemen yet. Cause it’s “easier”. If the colts made an effort to get at least get one lineman like Jensen or norwell I would feel more comfortable. Even if we did get Nelson in the draft, he can’t do it by himself. But it’s ok, we re-signed vujonivich lol

2 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

As Yank fan, judge not same after hr derby and shoulder injury. Colts will be in last.

You should Post on the Baseball Thread. It's a Great Thread, everyone gets along, and there are fans of different teams that Post in there daily.  I am a huge Cubs fan but I am leaning toward the Yankees winning it all. They look good to me. Regarding the Colts I am disappointed in this Free Agency so far and we very well could finish last? Not saying we will but I would think protecting #12 would just be common sense. So far no moves for the O.Line. Maybe Ballard nails the draft? Who knows. Nelson is starting to look tempting now.

8 minutes ago, Crunked said:

I have been going from thread to thread with a general the sky is falling theme and deploying my best sarcastic effort. But I guess the coffee hasn't kicked in yet so I will try to be serious for just a second, lets see if I can make it to the end of the thought before the sarcasm kicks in......

Ballard has to be feeling a bit like the NFL wall flower this off season. Jilted by a coach and a handful of players early on in the Free Agency process. Has to be shaking his confidence in "process" at least subconsciously......whew....made it to the end.....

Wow that was real funny. You must be one of the dillusional fans who think luck will come back and light the league up, he’s been out of football for 2 years. Hasn’t even thrown a football yet. And nothing has been done about protecting our generational talent. Put him behind the Swiss wall and we’re back to square one. Think about that next time you sip on that coffee

Just now, needanoline63 said:

Wow that was real funny. You must be one of the dillusional fans who think luck will come back and light the league up, he’s been out of football for 2 years. Hasn’t even thrown a football yet. And nothing has been done about protecting our generational talent. Put him behind the Swiss wall and we’re back to square one. Think about that next time you sip on that coffee

As I sip my coffee, you may want to illustrate where I was "funny" and where I said I was "happy" with the state of the union.....reading is fun-duh-mental........all I said was Ballard's confidence must be shaken about now due to all the rejection he is receiving.....

1 hour ago, K-148 said:

Ballard's plan.

Step 1. Look at current coaches, players.

Step 2. Sigh your own players. Versatility on both sides of the ball. Foundation, not icing on cake.

Step 3. Look Luck's healing.

Step 1. If old coaches are not any good, sign your own new coaches.

Step 2. Closer look at players signed in 2017 with coaches signed in 2018.

Step 3. Sign more players for new schemes. Versatility on both sides of the ball. Foundation, not icing on cake.

3.1. Do not sign one year wonders: you can't count on them to produce long term (Melvin, Robinson).

3.2. Do not sign aged veterans (only stop gap): their wheels will fall off before another players get experience (Gore, Derrick Johnson).

3.3. Do not sign names: a lot of players known for highlights and from the past, not for all body of work (Trumaine Johnson, Darrell Revis).

3.4. Do not sign often injured players; you can't count on them to produce long term.

3.5. Do not sign players exelled in other schemes (Davis, Brown).

3.6. Wait for players, who will be cut after first wave start of free agency.

3.7. Wait for players, who will be cut after draft.

Step 4. If there are no good players to sign, DO NOT sign average ones just to fill the spots. You better resign+frontload current players, including young ones like Anderson, Geathers, and roll over to make future cap space even bigger.

Step 5. When your players are young, fit the schemes, signed for frontloaded contracts, when your coaches become comfortable at their jobs and have full season to elevate current player, future FA and drafft prospects... go FA full throttle!

I'm pretty much on board with this take...

16 minutes ago, Crunked said:

As I sip my coffee, you may want to illustrate where I was "funny" and where I said I was "happy" with the state of the union.....reading is fun-duh-mental........all I said was Ballard's confidence must be shaken about now due to all the rejection he is receiving.....

I look at it this way. I have dealt with a lot of problem clients in my life. However, every single time, my boss has had my back. So, when that happens, you know the moment is fleeting.

The same way with Ballard. As long as he knows Irsay is on board with what his plan is and what he is doing, he is not going to pay too much attention to the media rejection or censure. That is my take on it. :) 

21 minutes ago, needanoline63 said:

Easy to get offensive lineman in?! I guess that’s why we haven’t signed any linemen yet. Cause it’s “easier”. If the colts made an effort to get at least get one lineman like Jensen or norwell I would feel more comfortable. Even if we did get Nelson in the draft, he can’t do it by himself. But it’s ok, we re-signed vujonivich lol

Your arguments are getting worse and worse. Just because the colts haven't been willing to overpay these linemen doesn't mean it's easier to sign a QB. 

I think I am going to just exit this discussion, don't think it will make either of us any smarter.

Just now, chad72 said:

I look at it this way. I have dealt with a lot of problem clients in my life. However, every single time, my boss has had my back. So, when that happens, you know the moment is fleeting.

The same way with Ballard. As long as he knows Irsay is on board with what his plan is and what he is doing, he is not going to pay too much attention to the media rejection or censure. That is my take on it. :) 

great observation, and true enough.....I guess I was just speculating that "in his head, he has to be questioning whether his stance needs adjusted, not that he actually will adjust just that he has to be analyzing it" He strikes me as a guy that stands by his convictions, and feels they are well thought out.........it will be interesting observing how he operates going forward based on the first few days of free agency and all the "reported" rejection the Colts have received. It is all just idle speculation anyway as we don't truly know what went down with Norwell and others as to why they didn't come for interview/turned down alleged offers/ what ever other thing is being reported to have happened with this guy or that...but whatever Ballards plan may have been going in, we are now at the point, where we should expect to fill out the ranks with young/filler/potential/depth type guys, and hope we can draft some difference makers.

4 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

At this point I'm not even so sure we're going to field a team this year. Our roster is hot garbage.

Agreed.  We will be drafting just to put a team on the field.  I was excited going into this off season about the Colts future but not so much anymore.

5 hours ago, needanoline63 said:

So your plan to protect the franchise QB is to... *checks notes*... trade the franchise QB?

54 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You should Post on the Baseball Thread. It's a Great Thread, everyone gets along, and there are fans of different teams that Post in there daily.  I am a huge Cubs fan but I am leaning toward the Yankees winning it all. They look good to me. Regarding the Colts I am disappointed in this Free Agency so far and we very well could finish last? Not saying we will but I would think protecting #12 would just be common sense. So far no moves for the O.Line. Maybe Ballard nails the draft? Who knows. Nelson is starting to look tempting now.

There's a Baseball Thread? Kool.... I've neen a lifelong Yankee Fan. They should be fun to watch. I don't think we have the Front line aces to win it all...... As far as Colts are concerned I think they finish last too. Depends on how many games Luck plays. Without him or him playing at high level we will do more than finish last, we may be in hunt for #1 overall pick.

28 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

There's a Baseball Thread? Kool.... I've neen a lifelong Yankee Fan. They should be fun to watch. I don't think we have the Front line aces to win it all...... As far as Colts are concerned I think they finish last too. Depends on how many games Luck plays. Without him or him playing at high level we will do more than finish last, we may be in hunt for #1 overall pick.

Yeah just click on Forums, College Football and all other sports, it's under All MLB 2018 Astros Repeat. Last season we had a tons of Posts, we are on page 200 right now. We have like 3 or 4 Yankees fans that Post in there, several Cards and Cubs fans that do as well, and a Mets fan too.

38 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

You build your team through the draft and FA. You don’t build teams by doing one or the other exclusively 

Well, Bill Polian won in Indy for over a decade (most regular season wins ever in 10 year span) and did it mainly by the draft.  Rarely picked up any FA's (especially big name except Corey Simon, the bane of his existence to this day), drafted well, let some go (painfully at times, like David Thornton; the best WILL LB to play in our Tampa 2 in that period) and paid for others to stay.

He traded for Booger (because of Simon and Monte Reagor issues) and while that helped for the SB, Booger flamed out after that and now is broadcaster. When asked why he didn't sign more FA's he said you do what you do well (draft), and stay away from what you don't do so well (sign overpaid big name FA's).

We went to two Super Bowls and won one of them. He was GM for 3 teams, Bills SB teams and Panthers NFCCG in its second year. And he's HOF.  So there is another way to do it.  Irsay knows it, lived it.

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Well, Bill Polian won in Indy for over a decade (most regular season wins ever in 10 year span) and did it mainly by the draft.  Rarely picked up any FA's (especially big name except Corey Simon, the bane of his existence to this day), drafted well, let some go (painfully at times, like David Thornton; the best WILL LB to play in our Tampa 2 in that period) and paid for others to stay.

He traded for Booger (because of Simon and Monte Reagor issues) and while that helped for the SB, Booger flamed out after that and now is broadcaster. When asked why he didn't sign more FA's he said you do what you do well (draft), and stay away from what you don't do so well (sign overpaid big name FA's).

We went to two Super Bowls and won one of them. He was GM for 3 teams, Bills SB teams and Panthers NFCCG in its second year. And he's HOF.  So there is another way to do it.  Irsay knows it, lived it.

Yes he mixed it well. However, he did just do one or the other, which was my point. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Send me a note about that baseball thread 

5 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Is that a thing? How do we get a comp pick for that?

It’s not a thing. Well, it is, but teams don’t purposely pass on tons of guys in FA just for an extra 3rd round pick. If we let our own guys (Melvin, moncrief....) walk in FA and we don’t bring in anyone then we are awarded a comp pick