Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Melvin expected to sign in Oakland

1 minute ago, TomDiggs said:

Small contract. Must mean we either wanted him more long term (think last year w Poe) or we just do not want to invest a lot in corners in our new scheme. 

Not sure if I ever bought the Poe stuff last season. And I don't know if I would buy it here either. I can't imagine a player like Melvin not taking a good long-term deal to take a one-year deal...unless the annual avg was much much lower.

4 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Small contract. Must mean we either wanted him more long term (think last year w Poe) or we just do not want to invest a lot in corners in our new scheme. 

Okay now I really question what Ballard is doing. We couldn’t bring back our best DB from last year for 6.5 mil? 

Just now, shastamasta said:

Not sure if I ever bought the Poe stuff last season. And I don't know if I would buy it here either. I can't imagine a player like Melvin not taking a good long-term deal to take a one-year deal...unless the annual avg was much much lower.

Oh that is what I am thinking. I am thinking we offered something like say 3 years and$12M or so w no guarantees after year one. And basically Melvin thought he was worth more. Which he is. 

Oh well. It will be back to the bargain bin for CBs. We hit on Melvin and Desir for peanuts last year. We can do it again. 

6 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

We couldn’t have gave him 6.5 million?

Its also a bit weird that OAK only gave him one year.  When seemingly unexplained stuff like this happens, you wonder if there aren't things circulating under the surface.  Like a possible suspension coming or something.

1 minute ago, TomDiggs said:

Oh that is what I am thinking. I am thinking we offered something like say 3 years and$12M or so w no guarantees after year one. And basically Melvin thought he was worth more. Which he is. 

Oh well. It will be back to the bargain bin for CBs. We hit on Melvin and Desir for peanuts last year. We can do it again. 

I am not necessarily against that approach for CB...given this market and the new defense they are transitioning to. But I do want to see a legit S added.

4 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Okay now I really question what Ballard is doing. We couldn’t bring back our best DB from last year for 6.5 mil? 

I say again 6.5 million and he couldn't pay that for one year are you kidding me watch he will give Gaines that much I don't know about anybody else on this forum but if he gives Gaines 6.5 million I will hit the roof.

24 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its also a bit weird that OAK only gave him one year.  When seemingly unexplained stuff like this happens, you wonder if there aren't things circulating under the surface.  Like a possible suspension coming or something.

I guess there's concern by teams that as Melvin turns 29 this year and hasn't had good season until now and it was cut short by an injury.

He might have gotten longer term offers but wasn't happy with the money so he's banking on himself on a 1 yr deal.

4 minutes ago, corgi said:

Word is Melvin wanted a lot more than 6.5 annually from the Colts. A lot more makes me think 10+, if that’s the case then Ballard made the right call.

Just saw some sweets saying the same and some members posted in the other Melvin thread.

Makes sense now. We had a ton of money. He asked for the world. We said no. He went elsewhere and took less to not have to come back here for less than he had asked for. Oh well.

4 minutes ago, corgi said:

Word is Melvin wanted a lot more than 6.5 annually from the Colts. A lot more makes me think 10+, if that’s the case then Ballard made the right call.

If that's the case Melvin shot himself in the foot. The taxes and cost of living in California is insane compared to Indy..

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That is exactly what I thought. Much like how Jerrell Freeman got suspended after he left for the Bears. The CBA does not allow you to reveal the first 2 failed tests.

The other aspect is if his injury late in the season prove to be more serious than we thought and if anyone would know, it would be the Colts. Hence the Raiders were equally cautious and gave just a 1 yr. prove it deal.

29 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

We couldn’t have gave him 6.5 million?

Maybe we thought the compensation he provides us from compensatory pick is worth more than keeping him. If things continue this way with free agency Ballard might end up with a nice mid round compensatory pick next offseason after losing Moncrief, Mewhort, Gore, and Melvin. If Ballard is truly committed to building through the draft he might think a nice couple draft picks next offseason will more than offset losing these guys.

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is exactly what I thought. Much like how Jerrell Freeman got suspended after he left for the Bears. The CBA does not allow you to reveal the first 2 failed tests.

The other aspect is if his injury late in the season prove to be more serious than we thought and if anyone would know, it would be the Colts. Hence the Raiders were equally cautious and gave just a 1 yr. prove it deal.

Would you want to give a guy a long term deal after having one decent season on one of the worst teams in football last year. Melvin played pretty decent...but you have to also consider the poor play around him and teams decided to test other corners. I'd be wary of signing him long term too....plus to me this is just a place holder until Gruden can draft his own guys.

I don't get this one unless the rumors are true:

But if he was asking for a similar price from the Colts, this is a head scratcher by Ballard... 

edit: Holder is saying it as a fact that he wanted way more than that:

I don't know what to think... 

28 minutes ago, corgi said:

So you’ve ask one team for more but low ball yourself to another team? That is marketing stupidity ..... 

and wth is CB doing? He’s going to give Gaines that + more watch. Our secondary was like dead last this last season ... and we let basically our best Cb Walk out the door for 6.5 mil. This is just dumb. Now we have to draft a corner.

8 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

So you’ve ask one team for more but low ball yourself to another team? That is marketing stupidity ..... 

and wth is CB doing? He’s going to give Gaines that + more watch. Our secondary was like dead last this last season ... and we let basically our best Cb Walk out the door for 6.5 mil. This is just dumb. Now we have to draft a corner.

Maybe he is going to use TJ Green as a corner....playing zone might be a better fit for him and he should be a physical tackler. He needs to work on his coverage skills but he has similar mold to Richard Sherman. All said I do think we draft another corner...especially if we pick up more picks moving back. This draft is like last year...good value in rounds 2-4.

Maybe Melvin was too embarrassed to come back and ask Ballard for less. Might have over stepped his role in his demands....or maybe he likes Chucky that much.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Maybe he is going to use TJ Green as a corner....playing zone might be a better fit for him and he should be a physical tackler. He needs to work on his coverage skills but he has similar mold to Richard Sherman. All said I do think we draft another corner...especially if we pick up more picks moving back. This draft is like last year...good value in rounds 2-4.

Maybe Melvin was too embarrassed to come back and ask Ballard for less. Might have over stepped his role in his demands....or maybe he likes Chucky that much.

I hope he has a plan because so far he hasn’t done jack FA wise to even help the team. 

1 minute ago, TdungyW/12 said:

I hope he has a plan because so far he hasn’t done jack FA wise to even help the team. 

Like I said...maybe positioning himself for some compensatory picks for next years draft....since he keeps talking about building through the draft. Kill two birds with one stone....get rid of the last of the Grigson hanger ons and set yourself up for a ton of cap rollover and maybe a couple extra middle round picks next year. I know there is a plan...we just might not like it.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Like I said...maybe positioning himself for some compensatory picks for next years draft....since he keeps talking about building through the draft. Kill two birds with one stone....get rid of the last of the Grigson hanger ons and set yourself up for a ton of cap rollover and maybe a couple extra middle round picks next year. I know there is a plan...we just might not like it.

Damn it .... grab the popcorn, sit down, and buckle up .... it’s going to be a bumpy ride. 

Luck needs some help in WR and line at least.

9 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

Damn it .... grab the popcorn, sit down, and buckle up .... it’s going to be a bumpy ride. 

Luck needs some help in WR and line at least.

Yes...I agree....however Ballard will likely sign a couple free agents but look for him to sign guys that got cut....they don't count against the compensatory system....so guys like Ebron....maybe Vinny Curry...I doubt Suh and Honey badger but they are examples too...guys that were cut...not finished their contract and were set as free agents. As teams move forward to sign new guys they will continue to cut guys to shed salary. Those are guys Ballard will look at closely. Of course he will sign some free agents as well but I think those lower tier guys that won't effect the compensatory system. That's my guess. We will see....he may blow a huge wad of cash this weekend...who knows for sure.

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes...I agree....however Ballard will likely sign a couple free agents but look for him to sign guys that got cut....they don't count against the compensatory system....so guys like Ebron....maybe Vinny Curry...I doubt Suh and Honey badger but they are examples too...guys that were cut...not finished their contract and were set as free agents. As teams move forward to sign new guys they will continue to cut guys to shed salary. Those are guys Ballard will look at closely. Of course he will sign some free agents as well but I think those lower tier guys that won't effect the compensatory system. That's my guess. We will see....he may blow a huge wad of cash this weekend...who knows for sure.

I’m thinking he’s trying to find young guys unproven that got cut and want to prove themselves so they play hard .... that didn’t exactly get us far last year. Yeah we will have Luck back but with relatively the same Oline so he goes out when he gets injured again?

26 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Maybe he is going to use TJ Green as a corner....

It was Ballard's idea to switch Green to corner because he thought Green would make " a great corner"......Not knocking Ballard,  he knows more than I do...probably....pretty sure....

Melvin wanted to get his main pay day he has been working his career for. He didn't get it and he is taking less elsewhere in a prideful move. 

His prerogative, but it likely will affect him more than it does the Colts in the long run. Good luck and thanks for the time you were here!

I wonder if Melvin was so hurt that (A) we didn't sign him to his terms and (B) turns out that Ballard was right that Melvin had a bad read on his market value that he didn't even give the Colts a chance to match or beat the offer.

That he'd rather start over in Oakland than stay in Indy for Ballard's terms.

Melvin signs a 1-year prove it deal and gets another bite at the Apple next year and spite Ballard in the process.

Hey,  I don't know what system Oakland is running, but if it's Man, then maybe Melvin would rather play in that system than the Tampa-2 zone the Colts will run.

Disappointing.

Stil hoping for Desir, but that's beginning to fade......

Strange, strange day....

All I gotta say is whoever Ballard brings in to start next to Wilson better be as good as Melvin without having to spend a 1st round pick to do so. This team has much bigger needs than secondary help before letting Melvin walk such as pass rush, LB, and OL. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Maybe we thought the compensation he provides us from compensatory pick is worth more than keeping him. If things continue this way with free agency Ballard might end up with a nice mid round compensatory pick next offseason after losing Moncrief, Mewhort, Gore, and Melvin. If Ballard is truly committed to building through the draft he might think a nice couple draft picks next offseason will more than offset losing these guys.

I don’t want to lose Mewhort. 

Was it because we weren't going to match the $6.5mm offer by the Raiders?

Or maybe Melvin felt that he had a better chance to win with them instead of us?

Or maybe it was because his style doesn't fit the new zone scheme?

How about this?  Maybe Ballard told him, "Thanks for playing as well as you did, after being forced to start.  You did good.  However, we didn't draft you to start, and we're still planning on upgrading the position, and we're not planning on starting you"?

In any case, I'm starting to get this creeping feeling that Minkah Fitzpatrick is in our future.

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Was it because we weren't going to match the $6.5mm offer by the Raiders?

Or maybe Melvin felt that he had a better chance to win with them instead of us?

Or maybe it was because his style doesn't fit the new zone scheme?

How about this?  Maybe Ballard told him, "Thanks for playing as well as you did, after being forced to start.  You did good.  However, we didn't draft you to start, and we're still planning on upgrading the position, and we're not planning on starting you"?

In any case, I'm starting to get this creeping feeling that Minkah Fitzpatrick is in our future.

I think Minka's best spot is safety..   the same spot as Hooker plays.    He's not big enough to be a Strong Safety..  and he's likely not a corner...   his skill set is more safety than corner...

It sure feels to me like we're heading for a first round trade back...   or even two...

I think we might target LBs like Edmunds, Smith...   or maybe a bigger safety who could play some situational LB like James...

Strange off-season.