Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CB Phillip Gaines to visit Colts

Fisticuffs111

Just now, HectorRoberts said:

I was so excited at first I thought it said E.J. Gaines...

Yeah, I thought the same too. He played pretty darn well opposite Tre'Davious White.

However, the Patriots are notorious for signing gems of divisional opponents - Chris Hogan, Stephon Gilmore, Wes Welker, to name a few, and he might end up another one, I am hearing, to replace Malcolm Butler. :( 

Philip Gaines is the guy I remember Peyton picking on along with that Fleming CB guy with the Chiefs when Peyton was playing for the Broncos in 2014. They were mainly avoiding Marcus Peters' side and picking on whoever was on the other side. 

Can someone tell me who was the Chiefs CB that fought for the ball vs Moncrief to come up with an INT vs Luck when the Chiefs came here to LOS? That was the game Nick Foles filled in for Alex Smith.

Does anyone remember?

52 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Gotta say, this is the first FA prospect that has me truly shaking my head.  Wasn't that great and with injury histories. Yikes.

I seriously doubt he's being brought in for anything else other than a special teams role. He's not beating out Quincy Wilson or Pierre Desir for a starting job LOL.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I seriously doubt he's being brought in for anything else other than a special teams role. He's not beating out Quincy Wilson or Pierre Desir for a starting job LOL.

I think Desir is an Unrestricted Free Agent. Currently, he’s not a Colt.

29 minutes ago, krunk said:

He could be good depth. Also the Chiefs play a lot of man coverage. We are a zone team. Gaines could be a better zone player.

That could definitely be his problem. Nnamdi Asomugha was THE top man corner and was completely embarrassed when he went to Philly and played in their zone scheme. Not to say Gaines is anywhere near that level, but just to illustrate how much a scheme can make or break a CB.

His NFL.com draft profile:

Strengths

Nice length. Terrific timed speed, blazing sub-4.4 times at the combine. Can be deployed in zone coverage. Plays the pocket. Good production on the ball, with 35 passes defended the last two seasons. Tough and competitive. Is hardworking and well respected by coaches and teammates. Recorded second-quickest three-cone drill among cornerbacks at the combine (6.62 seconds).

Weaknesses

Durability is a concern. Has been dinged up. Underdeveloped and underpowered. Does not play to timed speed. Not equipped to handle man-to-man responsibility. Poor run supporter and tackler. Does not project as a core special-teams player. Tweener traits.

Bottom Line

Lean, active zone corner whose ball skills will have to carry him. Could earn a roster spot on pure measurables but lacks desirable functional speed, strength and physicality.

-Nolan Nawrocki
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Shive said:

His NFL.com draft profile:

Bottom Line

Lean, active zone corner whose ball skills will have to carry him. Could earn a roster spot on pure measurables but lacks desirable functional speed, strength and physicality.

-Nolan Nawrocki

We think alike, was just about to post this.

Sounds like @krunk could be right, he could do better in a zone based defense. At the very least, seems like an okay depth option since at this point we just need bodies.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Desir isn't even on the team so what are you saying

9 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Oh man. You guys that are banking on him randomly being good in a zone shame despite him sucking the big one in Man are a special kind of Optimistic lol 

I'm not acting like he's gonna come here and play at a starter level or even close to it. All I'm saying is that he might be better, meaning not terrible, in a zone based defense.

Besides we're so thin at CB that we just need bodies at this point.

33 minutes ago, krunk said:

Something tells me there's something going on with EJ Gaines pricing because nobody has been calling him in for visits. Wouldn't surprise me if that's our issue on him.

I can understand this either. Himself and White were one of the top CB duos in the league last year. I mean EJ Gaines was rated the 13 best CB in the league last year by PFF. Would be a great pick up. 

Im not high on this Gaines though.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Philip Gaines is the guy I remember Peyton picking on along with that Fleming CB guy with the Chiefs when Peyton was playing for the Broncos in 2014. They were mainly avoiding Marcus Peters' side and picking on whoever was on the other side. 

Can someone tell me who was the Chiefs CB that fought for the ball vs Moncrief to come up with an INT vs Luck when the Chiefs came here to LOS? That was the game Nick Foles filled in for Alex Smith.

Does anyone remember?

Philip Gaines was the one who ripped the ball away from Moncrief. He’s terribke though, ranked second worst CB last year by PFF

42 minutes ago, krunk said:

Something tells me there's something going on with EJ Gaines pricing because nobody has been calling him in for visits. Wouldn't surprise me if that's our issue on him.

I saw somewhere that DRC is waiting until April to start taking offers, so I'm assuming he wants to wait til after the draft to leverage a team with a CB need that wasn't able to fill it in the draft. Gaines may be doing the same if nobody wants to sign him for what he thinks he's worth right now. It's a gamble to do that though..