After failed physical with Ravens, Ryan Grant en route to Indianapolis

TKnight24

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Perhaps. But you could have a 7 ft 9 receiver playing for you but if he can't catch a dang ball when wide open, then you dont have a receiver.

Well if you think I liked moncrief then you are wrong he is bad and I didn't want him back I'm just talking about the talented big guys who can catch the ball that were available 

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Could have had Robinson or Watkins both are big fast WRs they could play off of TY very well 

So, that is what it is about, water under the bridge? I agree to disagree because your mind is made up.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

was just reading an article out of Baltimore, author made an interesting connection, all was good until the announcement of Crabtree being released, speculation is that team doctors failed him so they could make a run at crabtree instead.   

that said, we'd most likely give him our own physical before signing any deals. 

Which I'm sure he'll pass given the Colts doctor's past. 

I'm guessing the Colts physical will go something like: 

Image result for tussin on it

Of his 45 catches last year, 29 went for first downs.  That is pretty good.

Ballard's approach seems to be similar to Polian's after his first couple of years with the Colts.  Pick up FAs that are younger, have improved each year and are ready for that jump to starter.

Grigson tried that as well with Art Jones and early it looked to be a good move but injuries were his downfall.

I watched every Skins game last season. My wife grew up in Virginia. Grant on a bad ankle is an upgrade over a normal Moncrief. He gets open for one, catches most of what comes his way, and was the receiver Cousins went to when he needed someone to make a catch to keep a drive going. I hope the Colts do sign him.

10 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Could have had Robinson or Watkins both are big fast WRs they could play off of TY very well 

I wanted one of those 2 guys, but the price tag was just too high and there's no way of knowing that they didn't decide to sign elsewhere for reasons outside of Ballard's control. I'd stop complaining about your perceived lack of action on Ballard's behalf and focus more on what we can do moving forward.

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

I wanted one of those 2 guys, but the price tag was just too high and there's no way of knowing that they didn't decide to sign elsewhere for reasons outside of Ballard's control. I'd stop complaining about your perceived lack of action on Ballard's behalf and focus more on what we can do moving forward.

Hey I don't care what happens I'll just wait and see how we do if we suck next year then I guess the roster is still bad if we win then great Ballard will be a genius. One thing I've learned about being a colts fan and pacers fan is FA is always lame and boring might as well just look towards the draft cause no one great wants to willingly come here.

42 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

They were all also with the greatest QB of all time imo so that helps as well 

That is true but they still had to run the correct routes and catch the ball. They also had to have the timing patterns just right. As great as Manning was it still took the talent of his receivers to make him look good too.

I think Ballard will try to sign a couple guys like this, guys who are at least good enough to earn PT, and then draft a WR pretty early on. Wouldn't be surprised if we use a 2nd or 3rd on one, especailly if we trade back. I'm not loving any of the guys who should be there in the 2nd/3rd but there's potential (Kirk possibly, St. Brown, Moore, Chark). Plus Ballard did meet with Moore, and Sutton but he's likely gone by round 2.

7 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Hey I don't care what happens I'll just wait and see how we do if we suck next year then I guess the roster is still bad if we win then great Ballard will be a genius. One thing I've learned about being a colts fan and pacers fan is FA is always lame and boring might as well just look towards the draft cause no one great wants to willingly come here.

I don't believe that. When free agents hit the open market there are 30 other teams that compete for their services. Sometimes it's money. Sometimes it's chasing a ring. Sometimes the player knows someone in the organization. Sometimes they are swayed by their agent. For whatever reason because they don't sign with the Colts it has nothing to do with coming to Indy to play.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

I don't believe that. When free agents hit the open market there are 30 other teams that compete for their services. Sometimes it's money. Sometimes it's chasing a ring. Sometimes the player knows someone in the organization. Sometimes they are swayed by their agent. For whatever reason because they don't sign with the Colts it has nothing to do with coming to Indy to play.

The place has to be attractive small city Indy isn't a hot spot in the US throw in the crappy cold winter and the state tax we fall behind when places that are warm and have no tax go after the same players its always gonma be that way plus the colts won 4 games sure not gonna help the ring chasers 

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

If Ballard signs this guy, after letting some WR's with size go like Moncrief and not signing Robinson, it will just verify in my mind that Ballard has absolutely no idea what he is doing.  He is just throwing darts at a dartboard,

So far during his reign, color me not impressed.

From a so far average draft and FA sign up 2017 to the Tolzein fiasco to the V Davis faisco to the McDaniels screw up, it almost seems as if he has no idea what it means to be an NFL GM.

Sad!

9 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

The place has to be attractive small city Indy isn't a hot spot in the US throw in the crappy cold winter and the state tax we fall behind when places that are warm and have no tax go after the same players its always gonma be that way plus the colts won 4 games sure not gonna help the ring chasers 

Taxes have zero to do with where a player chooses to play. Every state has an X amount of operating cost and maintaining their budget. Just because a state has no state tax does not mean they don't get their operating cost by other means. It might be higher property taxes. It might be higher excise taxes. It could be higher sales taxes. Break it down and things even out.

The old ploy of using no state tax to draw someone to live there is one of the biggest cons in the business.

If a player is thinking in the terms of cost of living, Indiana is very high on the list.

Real estate values alone is one area where Indiana out does a lot of other states.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Taxes have zero to do with where a player chooses to play. Every state has an X amount of operating cost and maintaining their budget. Just because a state has no state tax does not mean they don't get their operating cost by other means. It might be higher property taxes. It might be higher excise taxes. It could be higher sales taxes. Break it down and things even out.

The old ploy of using no state tax to draw someone to live there is one of the biggest cons in the business.

If a player is thinking in the terms of cost of living, Indiana is very high on the list.

Real estate values alone is one area where Indiana out does a lot of other states.

Taxes do enter into the equation. Of course they do when you are talking about salaries in the millions. It would be different for people making an average salary, but when you earn 20, 30 or 40 million over the life of a contract, taxes make a huge difference.

Cost of living plays a factor, as well as property values. To say that taxes have ZERO to do with where a player chooses to play is inaccurate. If you offer a player the same contract but one state has no taxes, then that player would essentially net more in that state.

8 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Taxes do enter into the equation. Of course they do when you are talking about salaries in the millions. It would be different for people making an average salary, but when you earn 20, 30 or 40 million over the life of a contract, taxes make a huge difference.

Cost of living plays a factor, as well as property values. To say that taxes have ZERO to do with where a player chooses to play is inaccurate. If you offer a player the same contract but one state has no taxes, then that player would essentially net more in that state.

Not if the money is collected by other means.

Say a player don't pay state taxes but pays 25% more in property taxes how is that netting them more? I think you missed the whole point.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not if the money is collected by other means.

Say a player don't pay state taxes but pays 25% more in property taxes how is that netting them more? I think you missed the whole point.

Let's do the math:  Player A gets a mid range contract offer from 3 teams for 20 M over 3 years, and average salary of $6.6M. He can choose Indy, Florida, or Texas (two states with no income tax)

Indy's state tax rate is 3.3%. In Indy, he would pay $217,800 per year in taxes ($6.6M x 3.3%). Nearly $660,000 over the three year contract. He would not pay any income taxes in Florida or Texas, saving him $660,000 over the life of the contract.

Player A buys a home for $1 Million (Which will go a long way in all 3 states).

Indy - There is an average of .95% property taxes. The player would pay roughly 10,000 in property taxes.

Florida - There is a an average of .97% property taxes. The player would pay roughly 10,000 in property taxes.

Texas - There is an average of 1.95% property taxes. The player would pay roughly 20,000 in property taxes.

Player A would benefit most in Florida, then Texas, and lastly in Indy, mainly due to the income tax. Income tax is the most important because of the players large salary, even in relation to housing. 

This is simple math. This is not even up for debate. In this example, for Texas he's not paying 25% more in property taxes, he's paying 50% more and still comes out ahead, by a large margin.

2 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Let's do the math:  Player A gets a mid range contract offer from 3 teams for 20 M over 3 years, and average salary of $6.6M. He can choose Indy, Florida, or Texas (two states with no income tax)

Indy's state tax rate is 3.3%. In Indy, he would pay $217,800 per year in taxes ($6.6M x 3.3%). Nearly $660,000 over the three year contract. He would not pay any income taxes in Florida or Texas, saving him $660,000 over the life of the contract.

Player A buys a home for $1 Million (Which will go a long way in all 3 states).

Indy - There is an average of .95% property taxes. The player would pay roughly 10,000 in property taxes.

Florida - There is a an average of .97% property taxes. The player would pay roughly 10,000 in property taxes.

Texas - There is an average of 1.95% property taxes. The player would pay roughly 20,000 in property taxes.

Player A would benefit most in Florida, then Texas, and lastly in Indy, mainly due to the income tax. Income tax is the most important because of the players large salary, even in relation to housing. 

This is simple math. This is not even up for debate. In this example, for Texas he's not paying 25% more in property taxes, he's paying 50% more and still comes out ahead, by a large margin.

Players normally live in the higher income parts of wherever they live.

If a player buys a million dollar home in Indiana that same home would cost 2 or 3 time as much in the high end parts of Florida or Texas.

Like I said, no matter where you live the state needs it's operating cost. It is broke down to the people who live there. The states are going to get their money for their budget one way or another.

You can throw out all these numbers out but the bottom line is it cost the same percentage of your income to live in any state.

There are a lot of pro players in every pro sport who play in one state but yet still live in another. It's a personal choice. 

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Players normally live in the higher income parts of wherever they live.

If a player buys a million dollar home in Indiana that same home would cost 2 or 3 time as much in the high end parts of Florida or Texas.

Like I said, no matter where you live the state needs it's operating cost. It is broke down to the people who live there. The states are going to get their money for their budget one way or another.

You can throw out all these numbers out but the bottom line is it cost the same percentage of your income to live in any state.

There are a lot of pro players in every pro sport who play in one state but yet still live in another. It's a personal choice. 

Okay, let's say he buys a house for $1M in Indy and splurges in Florida and Texas and buys a house for $3M there.

The income taxes situation would remain the same. He would save $660,000 in Texas and in Florida due to not having to pay income taxes.

Florida - $3 Million house. .97% property taxes. He pays roughly $30,000 per year in property taxes, $90,000 over the three years. He still comes out ahead by $570K.

Texas - $3 Million house. 1.95 property taxes. He pays roughly $60,000 per year in property taxes, $180,000 over the three years. He still comes out ahead by 480K.

Again, you are not arguing against me. You are arguing against math and facts. You can either accept that you are wrong on this issue and learn and adapt on or you can continue to be wrong. Up to you.

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

It's more complicated than that, because not all types of player's incomes are connected to their teams home state. Some types of incomes (signing bonuses for example) taxed by the home state, while salaries, per game bonuses, etc are taxed by the state they play the actual game in. So Texans players taxed by state Indiana when they play in Indy, and Indy players are not taxed by Florida (neither Indiana) when they play in Florida, etc.

42 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

So.... If the Colts do sign Grant.... Surely it won't be a contract like he almost got with the Ravens. Especially with the injury concern. I wonder what exactly is wrong with his ankle?

Crabtree becoming available?