Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After failed physical with Ravens, Ryan Grant en route to Indianapolis

TKnight24

9 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Do not want. This is basically Kamar Aiken redux. And he's going to cost twice as much for twice as long. Plus, he apparently has an injury, so his best ability (has played every game) is now in question.

Shasta...   failing a physical isn't hard.

Every single NFL team can fail the vast majority of their players IF THEY WANT TO.    It's one of those dirty little secrets. Most players have dents and dings that teams accept, until a team wants to cut them, and then the player fails a physical.

Grant will get checked.   I'm sure we will find...   SOMETHING.   The question will be...   will our doctors think it will heal properly, or will it become a chronic problem?  

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Every single NFL team can fail the vast majority of their players IF THEY WANT TO.    It's one of those dirty little secrets. Most players have dents and dings that teams accept, until a team wants to cut them, and then the player fails a physical.

Grant will get checked.   I'm sure we will find...   SOMETHING.   The question will be...   will our doctors think it will heal properly, or will it become a chronic problem?  

Shaq Griffin will fail a few

20 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

When Colts physicians check him out, he'll pass. Dr. Robert Anderson (I heard) has already cleared him.

Crisp routes can get you separation. His speed is in line with Julian Edleman, and slightly quicker then Wes Welker produced.

I like what you said in comparing Grant to Welker and Edelman. That seems to fit the Colts plan for quicker, shorter passes. Though I dislike all Patriots, I thought Welker and Edelman were an advantage for them and that they were the type of WR the Colts could use. Thanks for the info.

3 minutes ago, corgi said:

They’re supposed to be bringing Ebron in on Sunday. I know he’s a TE, but he is moreso a reciever than a blocker.

I hope that happens I have always reallky liked him if he stays healthy he has all the talent to be elite at his position 

If Ballard signs this guy, after letting some WR's with size go like Moncrief and not signing Robinson, it will just verify in my mind that Ballard has absolutely no idea what he is doing.  He is just throwing darts at a dartboard,

So far during his reign, color me not impressed.

From a so far average draft and FA sign up 2017 to the Tolzein fiasco to the V Davis faisco to the McDaniels screw up, it almost seems as if he has no idea what it means to be an NFL GM.

11 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

He's an inch taller then TY come on let's get some size :(

I think that is the mistake everyone is making. How many wide outs with size did we have during the Peyton era? Red zone target, end zone target, all these cliches are used by fans (several on this forum) to justify a big wide out. 

However, Peyton and his OC coaches (Moore/Christensen) used to device plays specifically for the end zone and red zone, plays they wouldn't call between the 20s. They did not have big bodied wide outs, they won with separation and scheme, with rub routes and route running.

The NFL is filled with big guys that cannot catch or separate. Not everyone is a Gronk or Gates or Julio with size and superb hands. It is time we go back to guys that can separate and make the life of a QB easier, between the 20s and the red zone. Ultimately, the hope is our new OC devises plays that relies on that separation and schemes as well.

Just now, Mr.Debonair said:

Hence the “needed”

but here's the thing.  We don't know and wont know what or if Ballard offered them contracts.  Its entirely possible, as Ive said numerous times, that some FA dont want to come to Indy. Especially when they could go to warmer, income tax free states.

1 minute ago, threeflight said:

If Ballard signs this guy, after letting some WR's with size go like Moncrief and not signing Robinson, it will just verify in my mind that Ballard as absolutely no idea what he is doing.  He is just throwing darts at a dartboard,

From a so far average draft and FA sign up 2017 to the Tolzein fiasco to the V Davis faisco to the McDaniels screw up, it almost seems as if he has no idea what he is doing.

Okay Noted

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

If Ballard signs this guy, after letting some WR's with size go like Moncrief and not signing Robinson, it will just verify in my mind that Ballard as absolutely no idea what he is doing.  He is just throwing darts at a dartboard,

From a so far average draft and FA sign up 2017 to the Tolzein fiasco to the V Davis faisco to the McDaniels screw up, it almost seems as if he has no idea what he is doing.

There’s also the draft, and more players will get released.

Just now, chad72 said:

I think that is the mistake everyone is making. How many wide outs with size did we have during the Peyton era? Red zone target, end zone target, all these cliches are used by fans (several on this forum) to justify a big wide out. 

However, Peyton and his OC coaches (Moore/Christensen) used to device plays specifically for the end zone and red zone, plays they wouldn't call between the 20s. They did not have big bodied wide outs, they won with separation and scheme, with rub routes and route running.

The NFL is filled with big guys that cannot catch or separate. Not everyone is a Gronk or Gates with superb hands. It is time we go back to guys that can separate and make the life of a QB easier, between the 20s and the red zone. Ultimately, the hope is our new OC devises plays that relies on that separation and schemes as well.

No but id gladly take  AJ green or Larry Fitz plus those coaches and Peyton aren't here. Reich had Jeffery in Philly he will get nothing like that beast here most teams have at least one big target we have 0.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure the Colts team doctors checking him makes me feel any better.

I don't even care as much about the injury, I am just not a big fan of signing this guy. Seems like a guy like this would be quite easy to get in the latter part of the draft...so shelling out money on this guy seems silly....let alone the $5M+ that he is probably going to get.

He's coming off one mediocre season of production. If the Colts are looking for a guy like that, just wait out FA and grab someone that is left for cheap.  

Or better yet, go get someone like Kendall Wright, who is only one year older than Grant and has much more production. You can probably get him for very little late in FA. 

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

From a so far average draft and FA sign up 2017 to the Tolzein fiasco to the V Davis faisco to the McDaniels screw up, it almost seems as if he has no idea what it means to be an NFL GM.

Well, your negative language is a bit absolute for my tastes; however, you do raise some interesting facts that don't get talked about much anymore. 

1 minute ago, threeflight said:

Marvin Harrison-6'0

Reggie Wayne- 6'0

Brandon Stokely- 5' 11

Austin Collie- 6'0

Don't need size to win... you need hands and route running.  Neither of which Moncreif has.  The only thing he has is size, 6'2''.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So, by the third day of FA, we could have Jensen and Pugh on the Oline, Grant as a solid WR, and Ebron as another TE, along with an interior pass rusher.

Would y'all be happy then?

No.  There is no way what so ever to please everyone on this forum at the same time.  We could win the super bowl the next 5 years and be undefeated and someone will still complain on this forum.

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

No but id gladly take  AJ green or Larry Fitz plus those coaches and Peyton aren't here. Reich had Jeffery in Philly he will get nothing like that beast here most teams have at least one big target we have 0.

There are too many questions for all of us to answer at this point. I felt our issue had always been maximizing our offensive talent to its best and that is why we went after offensive minded coaches. We have to only hope that these set of coaches come up with innovative plays and schemes plus coach up the players to get their route running, separation and offensive efficiency maximized. 

The big target does not solve everything, that is my point. Swoope and Ebron, if Ebron is signed, will give us some nice options but if they cannot get open and catch, none of it will matter. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Marvin Harrison-6'0

Reggie Wayne- 6'0

Brandon Stokely- 5' 11

Austin Collie- 6'0

Don't need size to win... you need hands and route running.  Neither of which Moncreif has.  The only thing he has is size, 6'2''.

Duron Carter had size and is now in the CFL

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

There are too many questions for all of us to answer at this point. I felt our issue had always been maximizing our offensive talent to its best and that is why we went after offensive minded coaches. We have to only hope that these set of coaches come up with innovative plays and schemes plus coach up the players to get their route running, separation and offensive efficiency maximized. 

The big target does not solve everything, that is my point. Swoope and Ebron, if Ebron is signed, will give us some nice options but if they cannot get open and catch, none of it will matter. 

I know it don't solve everything but it would sure be nice to have a big guy to go up and grab jump balls in the red zone plus someone as intimidating as one of the guys I mentioned would allow TY to eat teams up underneath. 

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Marvin Harrison-6'0

Reggie Wayne- 6'0

Brandon Stokely- 5' 11

Austin Collie- 6'0

They were all also with the greatest QB of all time imo so that helps as well 

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I know it don't solve everything but it would sure be nice to have a big guy to go up and grab jump balls in the red zone plus someone as intimidating as one of the guys I mentioned would allow TY to eat teams up underneath. 

Those kind of guys do not hit free agency easily, you do realize that, right? We went after Jeffery last year but he chose to sign with the Eagles. Grabbing jump balls in the red zone, if it were that easy, why don't so many big tall guys do it? Mercedes Lewis, Mohammed Sanu, DT, all of them have size but their QBs do not throw jump balls to them. Why is that? 

Here is the reason. NFL CBs have size too. From Ramsey to Sherman to Bouye etc. etc. Most WRs coming out of college are around the 6'1" height, are taller than they used to be and so are the CBs. A lot of college players are choosing to invest their career in the passing game in a passing league. So, taller CBs, taller safeties, and guess what wins against them? Separation from talent like OBJ, Antonio Brown, TY that are much shiftier. Julio Jones is a freak you are not going to reproduce unless you clone him. :) 

You run the ball and make teams pay for 1-on-1s on your other targets, and guess what, they will have to play TY 1-on-1. You don't need a big target to glean away double coverage from TY. It is about coaching, the chess matches they play and how they scheme players open.

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

They were all also with the greatest QB of all time imo so that helps as well 

Perhaps. But you could have a 7 ft 9 receiver playing for you but if he can't catch a dang ball when wide open, then you dont have a receiver.

Just now, chad72 said:

Those kind of guys do not hit free agency easily, you do realize that, right? We went after Jeffery last year but he chose to sign with the Eagles. Grabbing jump balls in the red zone, if it were that easy, why don't so many big tall guys do it? Mercedes Lewis, Mohammed Sanu, DT, all of them have size but their QBs do not throw jump balls to them. Why is that? 

NFL CBs have size too. Most WRs coming out of college are around the 6'1" height, are taller than they used to be and so are the CBs. A lot of players are choosing to invest their career in the passing game. So, taller CBs, taller safeties, and guess what wins against them? Separation from talent like OBJ, Antonio Brown, TY that are much shiftier. Julio Jones is a freak you are not going to reproduce unless you clone him. :) 

You run the ball and make teams pay for 1-on-1s on your other targets, and guess what, they will have to play TY 1-on-1. You don't need a big target to glean away double coverage from TY. It is about coaching, the chess matches they play and how they scheme players open.

Could have had Robinson or Watkins both are big fast WRs they could play off of TY very well