Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Importance of Malik Hooker

Colt.45

I'm not sure whether to post this here or in the NFL Drafts section. It's primarily about Minkah Fitzpatrick but about 2:00 minutes in to around minute 5:00, he uses Hooker as the key example to make his point about the Bama DB.

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

I'm not sure whether to post this here or in the NFL Drafts section. It's primarily about Minkah Fitzpatrick but about 2:00 minutes in to around minute 5:00, he uses Hooker as the key example to make his point about the Bama DB.

honestly, I think that is a good thing.  I have been thinking that Fitzpatrick could be the surprise pick we make. Him, Hooker, Geathers, and Wilson, along with Harison would give us a dang good DB corp.

I guess I would fail miserably as a GM or player analyst.   I just don't see the attraction to these ball-hawking centerfielding safeties when good NFL teams like NE and Philly have offenses that keep the ball in the air less than 15 yards.

For Fitzpatrick, it seems like coverage skills and tackling skills are part of his resume, so he might play a different role than Hooker did under our old scheme.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I guess I would fail miserably as a GM or player analyst.   I just don't see the attraction to these ball-hawking centerfielding safeties when good NFL teams like NE and Philly have offenses that keep the ball in the air less than 15 yards.

For Fitzpatrick, it seems like coverage skills and tackling skills are part of his resume, so he might play a different role than Hooker did under our old scheme.

Takes away the threat of the deep ball and lets all the DB’s focus on the shorter stuff primarily. Teams are scared to test the deep ball too much in case it’s intercepted.

Just now, scousecolt said:

Takes away the threat of the deep ball and lets all the DB’s focus on the shorter stuff primarily. Teams are scared to test the deep ball too much in case it’s intercepted.

I understand that, but the two teams that went to the SB just focus on the underneath stuff for the most part. Sure, they'll throw downfield if its open, but their primary offensive strategy is to move the ball with quick hitters underneath.  

Its not like a centerfielding FS is scaring NE and Philly into throwing short.  Its what they do.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I understand that, but the two teams that went to the SB just focus on the underneath stuff for the most part. Sure, they'll throw downfield if its open, but their primary offensive strategy is to move the ball with quick hitters underneath.  

Its not like a centerfielding FS is scaring NE and Philly into throwing short.  Its what they do.

we took hooker because they considered him to be bpa, not because center field safeties are highly valued

Fitzpatrick is one of the top talents in this draft, i could see us getting him if chubb and barkley are gone when we pick

11 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

The main importance of Hooker is that he was our #1 draft pick. If we're going to build through the draft and not go after difference makers in Free Agency, then he better be a building block.

That's my concern.  I hope its not the type of "building block" that NFL teams are trending towards making irrelevant.  Hopefully, elitism at some other things develops.

Fitzpatrick appears to display some of those other skills already.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's my concern.  I hope its not the type of "building block" that NFL teams are trending towards making irrelevant.  Hopefully, elitism at some other things develops.

I completely understand your point. I also think that the Safety position was a need and Hooker was BPA, thus a match. I understand the pick (we have to have someone play there and there was great talent available in the draft), but like you, am hoping that it's the start of a building process. If Hooker works out, it's one less position to worry about. We'll have to wait and see if it works out.

In defense of Hooker, it’s not his fault he got hurt. A Jags WR, Keelan Cole I believe, dove into his knee to block him. If only I had a bow and arrow I’d repay Cole the favor. It looked dirty live. 

I think hes gonna come back and with a bit more experience under his belt, should perform well. 

Our best Tampa 2 performances happened when both Sanders and Bethea were healthy. Seattle's LOB worked best when both Chancellor and Earl Thomas were healthy and buzzing. Broncos won SB when they got rid of Rahim Moore and paired up Darian Stewart with TJ Ward. 

Hooker and our safeties will be a big part of the new scheme and D, IMO.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

You need two special Ss (and another to bring in on big nickel). One S that can take away the deep ball and another that move around and take away the intermediate passes and short passes. At least that's what I want to see.

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

we took hooker because they considered him to be bpa, not because center field safeties are highly valued

Fitzpatrick is one of the top talents in this draft, i could see us getting him if chubb and barkley are gone when we pick

If Barkley and Chubb are gone by the 3rd pick, Ballard would be making a HUGE mistake not trading down. Heck he should probably trade down even if Barkley or Chubb are available with how many needs this team has and we could get a haul back with all the teams wanting to get their franchise QB. 

8 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Imagine hooker with an amazing pass rusher like chubb pressuring the QB to throw it early.

On 3/16/2018 at 12:17 PM, DougDew said:

How many championships did Seattle go to riding on their D? Which was mainly based around a cover 3. That's what we are switching too.

On 3/16/2018 at 12:17 PM, DougDew said:

They will take a deep ball shot if they see it open don't fool yourself.  

There where several passes of that traveled 20 yards or more in the air in the SB.  It might not be their bread and butter, but no one sits back and purposefully refuses to throw deep unless they are scared of the opponents safeties.  

Belichick knows how important a free safety is.  Devin McCourty is the 3rd highest paid player on his team.  Makes more then Gronk.

If a good free safety wasn't that important then do you think Belichick would have handed all that money to Devin McCourty?

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

They will take a deep ball shot if they see it open don't fool yourself.  

There where several passes of that traveled 20 yards or more in the air in the SB.  It might not be their bread and butter, but no one sits back and purposefully refuses to throw deep unless they are scared of the opponents safeties.  

Belichick knows how important a free safety is.  Devin McCourty is the 3rd highest paid player on his team.  Makes more then Gronk.

If a good free safety wasn't that important then do you think Belichick would have handed all that money to Devin McCourty?

McCourty was a former CB who can also cover, which was something never reported in Hooker's resume.  Again, the ONLY thing that was elite on Hookers resume was his ability to play the ball in the air.  Not coverage.  Not tackling. Not durability.  A FS who can do all 4 would be important.

I like Fitzpatrick and James in this draft much, much, better than Hooker.  They may get fewer interceptions on 30 yard passes, but their other skills are more relevant more often, IMO.

23 hours ago, twfish said:

How many championships did Seattle go to riding on their D? Which was mainly based around a cover 3. That's what we are switching too.

ive read that we are going cover 2, tampa 2, and cover 3 now

i know it wont just be one of the above and thats it, but what is the base really going to be, or do we even know yet?

i do think hooker would be best in a cover 3, the other two would make it easy for offenses to avoid his strengths 

On 17/03/2018 at 3:43 AM, DougDew said:

Earl Thomas

Devin Mccourty 

Malcolm Jenkins

Eric Berry

Harrison Smith

Are these not pivotal pieces to their respective defenses?

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

McCourty was a former CB who can also cover, which was something never reported in Hooker's resume.  Again, the ONLY thing that was elite on Hookers resume was his ability to play the ball in the air.  Not coverage.  Not tackling. Not durability.  A FS who can do all 4 would be important.

I like Fitzpatrick and James in this draft much, much, better than Hooker.  They may get fewer interceptions on 30 yard passes, but their other skills are more relevant more often, IMO.

If you watch the Arizona game you can see that Hooker can cover no problem. His tackling is the worst part of his game but it isn't bad. 

31 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

If you watch the Arizona game you can see that Hooker can cover no problem. His tackling is the worst part of his game but it isn't bad. 

Hmmm, people sure seem to latch onto erroneous pre draft scouting reports, then regurgitate it.  I had read an in depth article last year (sorry, I can’t recall the source) that debunked the assertion ... a few missed tackles while playing injured, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, I challenge you to show empirical evidence from last year of Hooker’s tackling being a weak part of his game.  I anxiously await the evidence. :)

23 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Hmmm, people sure seem to latch onto erroneous pre draft scouting reports, then regurgitate it.  I had read an in depth article last year (sorry, I can’t recall the source) that debunked the assertion ... a few missed tackles while playing injured, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, I challenge you to show empirical evidence from last year of Hooker’s tackling being a weak part of his game.  I anxiously await the evidence. :)

Anxiously wait no more rockwog

Even in the games for the colts he missed tackles. 

I was merely ranking his tackling as a facet of his game

Peace out bro 

6 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

Anxiously wait no more rockwog

Even in the games for the colts he missed tackles. 

I was merely ranking his tackling as a facet of his game

Peace out bro 

So again, no substantiating evidence from his time as a Colt?

8 hours ago, aaron11 said:

ive read that we are going cover 2, tampa 2, and cover 3 now

i know it wont just be one of the above and thats it, but what is the base really going to be, or do we even know yet?

i do think hooker would be best in a cover 3, the other two would make it easy for offenses to avoid his strengths 

Cover 3 is what makes the Tampa 2, the Tampa 2. The variation of the Tampa 2 is that the MLB drops back into the deep-middle on pass plays....hence cover 3

On 3/16/2018 at 8:19 AM, csmopar said:

honestly, I think that is a good thing.  I have been thinking that Fitzpatrick could be the surprise pick we make. Him, Hooker, Geathers, and Wilson, along with Harison would give us a dang good DB corp.

Derwin James is another one that strikes me as a Ballard guy. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we end up with either him or Fitzpatrick at #6.

10 hours ago, ColtJ82 said:

Cover 3 is what makes the Tampa 2, the Tampa 2. The variation of the Tampa 2 is that the MLB drops back into the deep-middle on pass plays....hence cover 3

they arent the same thing though

tampa 2 has a line backer in the deep middle zone, while cover 3 has the safety there

i think hooker would be best in the deep middle where he can get the best read on the QB.  

9 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Derwin James is another one that strikes me as a Ballard guy. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we end up with either him or Fitzpatrick at #6.

Imo taking a db at 6 won't help the team and would be a waste. 

If we stay at 6 we have to draft OL or a blue chip pass rusher. Because

1)we have to protect our franchise qb first

2)even if we have a solid to great secondary, it's useless if we can't create pressure to the opposing qb. Nearly every qb will get the job done if he has 4 or 5 seconds to throw. Then even good db's are lost. 

My opinion:)

3 hours ago, ColtsGermany said:

2)even if we have a solid to great secondary, it's useless if we can't create pressure to the opposing qb. Nearly every qb will get the job done if he has 4 or 5 seconds to throw. Then even good db's are lost. 

Not a bad opinion... ultimately, we all want the same thing. But I'm also entertaining the possibility that neither Chubb or Barkley are there at 6. In which case, that opens things up quite a bit.

3 hours ago, ColtsGermany said:

What if Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson go top 5, and no one wants to trade up for our pick?  at that point, I think Fitzpatrick may be our man