Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Silver Calls out Ballard

Zoltan

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Hell the Colts could win a super bowl and the media would blame it on something beside the Colts being good.

The media sucks if your not one of their favorites. We don't have enough drama or players shooting themselves. haha

We are not in a major market and Irsay’s Dad made enemies

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Hell the Colts could win a super bowl and the media would blame it on something beside the Colts being good.

The media sucks if your not one of their favorites. We don't have enough drama or players shooting themselves. haha

Well, OT here, but the narrative coming from the media for decades has been the Colts are basically a bad team (because we're generally clean-cut and quiet, not rough enough) who is carried to victory only by a great QB.  So saying we have the worst roster in the league now actually is the same simpleton narrative they've had since about 1998. 

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

We are not in a major market and Irsay’s Dad made enemies

It don't help when you have media people like Wilbon saying nonsense like Jim is just like his father.

Jim gets himself in trouble with his personal problems (demons) and the media makes such an issue over it you would have thought Jim murdered someone.

Well JIm paid his half million dollar fine and served his suspension but some said he should have been forced to give his ownership up.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It don't help when you have media people like Wilbon saying nonsense like Jim is just like his father.

Jim gets himself in trouble with his personal problems (demons) and the media makes such an issue over it you would have thought Jim murdered someone.

Well JIm paid his half million dollar fine and served his suspension but some said he should have been forced to give his ownership up.

Agreed

I think a lot of the media is jealous of us so they are loving we suck right now. Jealous because we had the Michael Jordan of Football (Peyton Manning) for 7 years and rarely lost from 2003-2009 and won a SB. We were 89-23 in that timeframe. I remember before the 2009 SB against the Saints how Obama and Katie Couric were pulling for the Saints because of Katrina, so was most people because we were favored to win. I had a huge feeling we would lose that game after watching the nonsense pregame stuff. Now we are down a little so the media just bashes us via NY Post, man did the Mass people get butthurt hate over DeflateGate too haha. It's our job now, mainly Andrew Luck, Ballard, and Reich to get us back on track. We can do it but we need Ballard to get us the players to help Andrew out.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think a lot of the media is jealous of us so they are loving we suck right now. Jealous because we had the Michael Jordan of Football (Peyton Manning) for 7 years and rarely lost from 2003-2009 and won a SB. We were 89-23 in that timeframe. I remember before the 2009 SB against the Saints how Obama and Katie Couric were pulling for the Saints because of Katrina, so was most people because we were favored to win. I had a huge feeling we would lose that game after watching the nonsense pregame stuff. Now we are down a little so the media just bashes us via NY Post, man did the Mass people get butthurt hate over DeflateGate too haha. It's our job now, mainly Andrew Luck, Ballard, and Reich to get us back on track. We can do it but we need Ballard to get us the players to help Andrew out.

Yep, the Colts made the media's golden boy look bad.

You are correct with saying getting back on track would help.

Winning cures all. Those same media hounds ragging on the Colts now will be standing in line just hoping for an interview just like they did when the Colts went to the AFC championship game.

29 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yep, the Colts made the media's golden boy look bad.

You are correct with saying getting back on track would help.

Winning cures all. Those same media hounds ragging on the Colts now will be standing in line just hoping for an interview just like they did when the Colts went to the AFC championship game.

We'll be back!

Several posters and alleged sports talking heads are complaining that Ballard, with all the money he has to spend is doing nothing. Overpaying FA can be have very negative effects that no one is addressing. Paying a FA twice as much or more than a team veteran who has busted his butt for years can upset the chemistry in the locker room. 

To put this into perspective, say you work for your company for years but your boss hires a new employee in your department in a position equal to you and you coworkers and pays him considerable more than you. once you and your coworkers find out about this the HR department will have a problem on their hands.

I contend that more needs to go into FA than just writing a check and I believe this caused locker room  problems during the Grigson era. All these pro athlete should be treated respectfully if you want their respect.

4 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Several posters and alleged sports talking heads are complaining that Ballard, with all the money he has to spend is doing nothing. Overpaying FA can be have very negative effects that no one is addressing. Paying a FA twice as much or more than a team veteran who has busted his butt for years can upset the chemistry in the locker room. 

To put this into perspective, say you work for your company for years but your boss hires a new employee in your department in a position equal to you and you coworkers and pays him considerable more than you. once you and your coworkers find out about this the HR department will have a problem on their hands.

I contend that more needs to go into FA than just writing a check and I believe this caused locker room  problems during the Grigson era. All these pro athlete should be treated respectfully if you want their respect.

This is rubbish. A FA like Norwell for example is superior to most of our players and veterans on this team. You get paid based on your talent. It's not like the workforce where there's seniority most of the time and you move up the ladder. A 26 year old like Norwell is vastly superior to most people older than him in the NFL. This isn't the reason.

5 hours ago, IinD said:

Never know, bossman Jim may have told him don't spend for this season.

Meaning build this thing up a little through the draft before we do anything major. A total opinion, but there's probably several factors which we aren't privy to. Or it could just be guys not wanting to join a potentially Luck-less team and going 4-12.

Who knows at this point?

Agree, but Ballard has done nothingto even fill o e.of the numerous holes in thus team or to protect his biggest asset in Luck.... likely another long year or maybe he knows Luck will not be ready for some or all if the season. 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I "entertained the idea".

How do those words migrate to that's what I think?

First comprehend.

Then pick fights with others if what you comprehend is actually what the person wrote.

You're such a gutless coward.  

You post some Doug Dew ridiculousness and when challeneged you run away as fast as you can.   You make it someone else's problem when you poop the bed.

The point is you admit you ENTERTAINED THE IDEA...   but when I point out there was no reason for you or anyone else to do so you run away blaming other people for your mess.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Season tickets are already sold and there is still a waiting list. The TV contracts are already signed.

The only thing that matters is improving over last season.

But when your in the doom and gloom crowd everything is magnified to make things look worse than they are.

There hasn't been a waiting list for the last few years i don't believe. The Colts may claim there is, but they were airing tv commercials just a couple weeks ago trying to get tickets sold. If the tickets are so hot you need a waiting list, you dont need to waste money on advertisements trying to sell them.

2 hours ago, indy1888 said:

There hasn't been a waiting list for the last few years i don't believe. The Colts may claim there is, but they were airing tv commercials just a couple weeks ago trying to get tickets sold. If the tickets are so hot you need a waiting list, you dont need to waste money on advertisements trying to sell them.

I just looked up season ticket seats available. There are 2 seats together available in 3 nose bleed sections (terrace level) and section 101, 109 and 118. If you bother to look for yourself you would have noticed that.

9 hours ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

Good lord Grigson had Luck! Ballard has Brissett. Luck carried this team and got hurt under Grigson and Paganos watch. 

Ballard is stuck fixing this giant turd of a team Grigson created. :facepalm:

So doing nothing is fixing?

8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is rubbish. A FA like Norwell for example is superior to most of our players and veterans on this team. You get paid based on your talent. It's not like the workforce where there's seniority most of the time and you move up the ladder. A 26 year old like Norwell is vastly superior to most people older than him in the NFL. This isn't the reason.

Norwell may be the exception although he was all pro I year. The Colts did go after him but evidently didn't want to pay him over 13M per year or he wanted to go to Jacksonville. I am talking about the Moncrief types who did next to nothing but pout for the Colts last year and gets rewarded with a 10M. I guess you are OK with deals like this but I believe they are ridiculous and can result in more harm to team morale that good.

5 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Is he doing nothing? Or are you slightly exaggerating? Like... you know... turning over about half the roster last year? Are you willing to give him like... a week or two of FA at least before you pronounce he's doing nothing? 

Those are such horrible reactionary takes 24 hours into free agency... absolutely horrible. People should be ashamed for espousing such utter nonsense. 

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

Is he doing nothing? Or are you slightly exaggerating? Like... you know... turning over about half the roster last year? Are you willing to give him like... a week or two of FA at least before you pronounce he's doing nothing? 

Those are such horrible reactionary takes 24 hours into free agency... absolutely horrible. People should be ashamed for espousing such utter nonsense. 

He hasn't done much to improve the roster and letting our own good players walk. 

That's nothing to me.

35 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW, Pat McAfee just lit up Grigson's pal's butt... :D 

I don't know if I can post his tweet since it contains strong language, but you are welcome to go read it. 

Just looked up the tweet, Pat's right.   I could have done without the profanity,  but I realize I am in the minority on that.  Silver is coming off as so pompous about Ballard and Grigson.

34 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

He hasn't done much to improve the roster and letting our own good players walk. 

That's nothing to me.

This is not even close to being accurate. What good players did he let walk.  He let some okay players walk but I haven't seen any good players walk.

54 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't know if I can post his tweet since it contains strong language, but you are welcome to go read it. 

i saw that haha i wanted to post the tweet but not a good idea with the language he was using, even though i use it as well. 

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

This is not even close to being accurate. What good players did he let walk.  He let some okay players walk but I haven't seen any good players walk.

If you are a GM with the philosophy that you build through the draft, the free agency process will always see a significant amount of churning of mid to low level free agents through the roster.  TY, AC, Luck, and Doyle have been the only players really worth retaining lately.  Maybe Melvin this year it the price is right.  Just like Wayne and Mathis were the only Polian players worthy of significant contracts under the RG regime.  

There really are never that many players worthy of retaining.  Polian retained too many players at prices that were too high.

If you're job is to be a talking head then stirring the pot is job security it seems. Current comparison of late for the Indy market is the complete torching that Pritchard of the Pacers took with the Paul George situation. The majority of the columns written or radio/tv talk was the Pacers got fleeced and what a bunch of yahoos running the place. Who's laughing now. 

Think of all the football experts that were released from ESPN the last two years. The people they keep are the ones who stir the pot and enjoy creating the train wrecks for reality type tv. 

Saw an article the other day about the FA class from last year.  492 FAs and 9 made the pro bowl I think it was.  1.8%.

FAs don't always improve your team and even ones that look good on paper for some reason don't meet the expectations.  And for the top tier FAs you pretty much have to overpay to get them.  

I understand that protecting Luck is a priority, but building a competitive team in a sustainable way is also a priority.  Luck also needs to learn to protect himself.  He has the power to limit the abuse he takes and hopefully the new coaching staff will focus on that.

It's very easy to say "look at all the cap space we have" but the view should be more long term.  What will have 2-3 years down the road?  Even if we pick up a few FAs now it will still be several years before this team will be ready to complete for a championship.  And some of the FAs might already be too expensive to keep so there is still more churn.

Now we might find in a few years that Ballard has been a failure as a GM.  It happens all the time.  But we might still see that if he is really busy in free agency.  Spending lots of money on a few expensive FAs is not how Ballard plans to build this team.  So we all might as well relax.

7 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Are you saying that not chasing after high priced FAs is doing nothing or do you really think he has done nothing?  Or do you think he should be able to snap his fingers and then we would be contenders again?

I completely agree with not overpaying for free agents but I hope Ballard doesn't make the same mistake Ted Thompson did in Green Bay by sticking to a strategy in every situation no matter what the needs are.  Sometimes you have to leave your comfort zone and loosen your ideals to fix a problem.  Not abandon them but in desperate times, do what is necessary.

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Colts don't have enough drama? They are probably the most dramatic team in the NFL...there seems to always be something in the news. 

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

The Colts don't have enough drama? They are probably the most dramatic team in the NFL...there seems to always be something in the news. 

There is a lot more drama right here in this forum for the Colts.

As far as the media is concerned it's the same old crap they been saying every since we turned in their golden boy.

As far as the drama it's all about Irsay and Ballard right now, not the players.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I just looked up season ticket seats available. There are 2 seats together available in 3 nose bleed sections (terrace level) and section 101, 109 and 118. If you bother to look for yourself you would have noticed that.

As of now (about a week after the March 8 deadline), the Colts have only renewed about 80% of last year's season tickets, which is rougly 46,000. If that holds, it's much lower than the 87% season renewal rate after the 2011 season.

However, they have said they expect it to increase to the 53,000 - 56,000 range. So we will see what happens.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

There is a lot more drama right here in this forum for the Colts.

As far as the media is concerned it's the same old crap they been saying every since we turned in their golden boy.

As far as the drama it's all about Irsay and Ballard right now, not the players.

"Drama" is probably not the right word. But the Colts have certainly been quite "news worthy" in recent years...and most of it didn't happen on the field. 

44 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It doesn't matter really.  If you are a GM with the philosophy that you build through the draft, the free agency process will always see a significant amount of churning of mid to low level free agents through the roster.  TY, AC, Luck, and Doyle have been the only players really worth retaining lately.  Maybe Melvin this year it the price is right.  Just like Wayne and Mathis were the only Polian players worthy of significant contracts under the RG regime.  

There really are never that many players worthy of retaining.  Polian retained too many players at prices that were too high.

I don't disagree,  I was just disputing that Ballard had not improved the team or let good players go.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Yo I can't find the tweet can we get a link?

6 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Yo I can't find the tweet can we get a link?

This is what Pat said minus the profanity.

My position on the field has nothing to do with the fact I was willing to speak for the entire locker room, city, and league about the former GM.