Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Silver Calls out Ballard

Zoltan

3 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

A lot of people are calling Ballard out. Reggie Wayne is even shaking his head because of the Colts inactivity. 

He better know what he is doing, because he has put a target on himself.

I am patiently waiting to see what this plan actually is. For Ballard's sake, it needs to work. The national media is about to light him up. 

does ballard think with new coaching our present players will suddenly become elite? is that why no new talent is brought in? does he think we don't need upgrades at any position?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Or when you just go along for the ride, you take what's given to you, and say "thank you sir, may I have another". Such is life for a casual fan.

I more than likely been a Colt fan since your were in diapers if not before you were born.

You get all dramatic over something I have dealt with for over 45 years.

5 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

does ballard think with new coaching our present players will suddenly become elite? is that why no new talent is brought in?

I don’t know. I am hoping Ballard has some kind of money ball game plan. :D 

35 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

You're not going to get wins or losses without partaking in Free Agency or the draft -- so this does matter.

It's like saying "the recipe doesn't matter -- all that matters is whether the pizza is good or not." Well, you need the recipe to have a good pizza.

I feel you made a counter argument in your analogy when you get a pizza you like you don't care about the recipe/ whats in it, you just go damn that's a good pizza. 

Hell you can go further and say just because it's an expensive recipe doesn't mean its gonna be good, I can by a cheap pizza and it could be better.

For some reason I want Pizza now haha

5 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

does ballard think with new coaching our present players will suddenly become elite? is that why no new talent is brought in?

I have entertained the idea that Ballard believes last year was a QB, a scheme, and a HC problem more than a roster problem.  Despite all of the comments from this forum and sports media that it is the worse roster in the league, Ballard may not think so.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I more than likely been a Colt fan since your were in diapers if not before you were born.

You get all dramatic over something I have dealt with for over 45 years.

That's what someone with bipolar does. If it makes you feel any better, I also overreact in a positive way when something great happens to the Colts. I'm always on both extremes.

42 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It does matter if fans don't go to games or buy merchandise or order Sunday ticket. The bottom line can be affected depending on Ballard's decisions.

But are the armchair GMs and "fans" that are complaining, the ones that are buying said merchandise and tickets to games?  

What if Ballard signs a guy and says "Hey i signed player X and now all those that wanted him i EXPECT you to buy 4 tickets to 2 home games and 4 jerseys!!" 

This is football guys. No matter what the Colts do i don't think anybody should lose any sleep over it. If you are losing sleep over it I don't think the issue lies within the Colts. We should all be thankful we live in a society where we have the opportunity to enjoy the game of football and also remember there are 31 other teams that one can choose to be a "fan" of.  

1 minute ago, Colton Stenger said:

I feel you made a counter argument in your analogy when you get a pizza you like you don't care about the recipe/ whats in it, you just go damn that's a good pizza. 

Hell you can go further and say just because it's an expensive recipe doesn't mean its gonna be good, I can by a cheap pizza and it could be better.

For some reason I want Pizza now haha

That reminds me. I need to uninstall some of these pizza apps from my phone. It’s getting too convenient. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I have entertained the idea that Ballard believes last year was a QB, a scheme, and a HC problem more than a roster problem.  Despite all of the comments from this forum and sports media that it is the worse roster in the league, Ballard may not think so.

could be

1 minute ago, strt182 said:

But are the armchair GMs and "fans" that are complaining, the ones that are buying said merchandise and tickets to games?  

What if Ballard signs a guy and says "Hey i signed player X and now all those that wanted him i EXPECT you to buy 4 tickets to 2 home games and 4 jerseys!!" 

This is football guys. No matter what the Colts do i don't think anybody should lose any sleep over it. If you are losing sleep over it I don't think the issue lies within the Colts. We should all be thankful we live in a society where we have the opportunity to enjoy the game of football and also remember there are 31 other teams that one can choose to be a "fan" of.  

The casual fans buy too, but they will look at the Colts losing record, the lack of FA's, and Luck being hurt with no O-Line as reasons not to spend. Hardcores will not spend because they didn't get their choice of players signed and drafted, and they think that Ballard is doing a bad job.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You also have to add the fact is we have a whole new coaching staff. They may not be all on the same page as to the type of players they want. Most of these coaches haven't even been on 56th st. long enough to study just the film of the Colts let alone the whole free agent market.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The casual fans buy too, but they will look at the Colts losing record, the lack of FA's, and Luck being hurt with no O-Line as reasons not to spend. Hardcores will not spend because they didn't get their choice of players signed and drafted, and they think that Ballard is doing a bad job.

Look JC, over reacting is not going to change anything. Just calm down, take a deep breath and chill.

I mean, it’s not all roses. 

The lack of activity is worrying. We just won 3 games with a roster he turned over 50% of. A lot of that was coaching, but still. Are we replacing the players we’ve lost with players who can help at least make this team as potentially good as it was last year?

He wants to draft and pay our own. Great. Splendid. A guy like Melivin is basically a draft pick. He came here cheap, and we had the option to keep him here. To this point we have not. It doesn’t make sense. 

Hes still years away from having to pay his own. And it’s not like the Grigson drafts left a lot of players worth paying to stick around. So what’s his plan? To buy from the bargain bin and hope for the best? 

And hey, let’s just be honest here, so far his draft has not been roses, either. It’s hard to build through the draft when you take players who don’t even make it to the roster. 

The criticism is over the top, but in no way unwarranted. 

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

You also have to add the fact is we have a whole new coaching staff. They may not be all on the same page as to the type of players they want. Most of these coaches haven't even been on 56th st. long enough to study just the film of the Colts let alone the whole free agent market.

If they aren't on the same page, then Reich should give some bullet points to Ballard on suggestions of who he wants and trust him to do the right thing. If that's the reason we missed out on people, then there's dysfunction already.

Look JC, over reacting is not going to change anything. Just calm down, take a deep breath and chill.

I'm fine, I just want to see some progress. At this point, I'm over Norwell. I just want to get the remaining guys that Ballard is after and do the rest in the draft.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Thanks for continuing to make my point.

There's no tangible reason to think this but YOU do.   No one else does, but you do.     

Ballard hasn't given an interview where he would give anyone any reason to think this -- but you do.

In fact, it's the opposite...   Ballard has always said this wouldn't be a quick fix and you can't buy a lockerroom and you win building through the draft.   So he has said this is going to be a long slow process and yet you're entertaining the idea thinks the problem wasn't the roster, but the coaching and QB...   in other words a quick fix.

The contempt that you hold this GM in is impressive.

This is Doug Dew logic on display again...    and I'm sure you'll tell me I'm wrong again any minute...

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well, that would be unfortunate.  They need to be on the same page.  Hopefully Reich had input who he thought would be of similar mindset as he and could execute his philosophy.

My observation is based on the idea that I don't think we can get better with this FA market.  We will lose Gore and might lose both Melvin and Desir.  We added a decent pass rusher but Simon will be SLB and not an edge player so much, so its kind of a wash there.  

Overall, we've lost ground so far, and there aren't enough FA left (weren't many to begin with) that could really improve this team from last year.  And only 4 picks of real value coming up.  

Its all okay if QB, scheme, and  head coaching improves. 

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm fine, I just want to see some progress. At this point, I'm over Norwell. I just want to get the remaining guys that Ballard is after and do the rest in the draft.

That's pretty much all of can do.

As a long time fan I learned a long time ago is we have to take the bad with the good. It is never going to stay the same.

I can recall when the Patriots were considered the bottom of the league. Time changes everything.

6 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I mean, it’s not all roses. 

The lack of activity is worrying. We just won 3 games with a roster he turned over 50% of. A lot of that was coaching, but still. Are we replacing the players we’ve lost with players who can help at least make this team as potentially good as it was last year?

He wants to draft and pay our own. Great. Splendid. A guy like Melivin is basically a draft pick. He came here cheap, and we had the option to keep him here. To this point we have not. It doesn’t make sense. 

Hes still years away from having to pay his own. And it’s not like the Grigson drafts left a lot of players worth paying to stick around. So what’s his plan? To buy from the bargain bin and hope for the best? 

And hey, let’s just be honest here, so far his draft has not been roses, either. It’s hard to build through the draft when you take players who don’t even make it to the roster. 

The criticism is over the top, but in no way unwarranted. 

I agree. You're not wrong. 

I am going to withhold judgement until I see the results of this season though. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks for continuing to make my point.

There's no tangible reason to think this but YOU do.   No one else does, but you do.     

Ballard hasn't given an interview where he would give anyone any reason to think this -- but you do.

In fact, it's the opposite...   Ballard has always said this wouldn't be a quick fix and you can't buy a lockerroom and you win building through the draft.   So he has said this is going to be a long slow process and yet you're entertaining the idea thinks the problem wasn't the roster, but the coaching and QB...   in other words a quick fix.

The contempt that you hold this GM in is impressive.

This is Doug Dew logic on display again...    and I'm sure you'll tell me I'm wrong again any minute...

I "entertained the idea".

How do those words migrate to that's what I think?

First comprehend.

Then pick fights with others if what you comprehend is actually what the person wrote.

That's pretty much all of can do.

As a long time fan I learned a long time ago is we have to take the bad with the good. It is never going to stay the same.

I can recall when the Patriots were considered the bottom of the league. Time changes everything.

Either way, we're all rooting for the same thing and have the same goals for this team. Just have to hope everything works out and I don't think it can get worse than Grigson. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, that would be unfortunate.  They need to be on the same page.  Hopefully Reich had input who he thought would be of similar mindset as he and could execute his philosophy.

My observation is based on the idea that I don't think we can get better with this FA market.  We will lose Gore and might lose both Melvin and Desir.  We added a decent pass rusher but Simon will be SLB and not an edge player so much, so its kind of a wash there.  

Overall, we've lost ground so far, and there aren't enough FA left (weren't many to begin with) that could really improve this team from last year.  And only 4 picks of real value coming up.  

Its all okay if QB, scheme, and  head coaching improves. 

The thing is when you have the wholesale changes we had in the coaching staff everything started out on page one.

It takes time to get all the things ironed out.

We also have to keep in mind that Ballard himself has only been on the job for one year as well as the changes in his staff.

For anyone who thought this was going to be a smooth transition was not thinking about the reality of it all.

There was no high dollar free agent that was all of a sudden be the difference maker to get wins for this team. The problems go a lot deeper than who could have been brought in through free agency.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I "entertained the idea".

How do those words migrate to that's what I think?

First comprehend.

Then pick fights with others if what you comprehend is actually what the person wrote.

I think he misread it too. 

Personally, I didn’t see anything wrong with your post. You were throwing out thoughts. I didn’t take it as you pounding the table or anything. 

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Disagreements like this are pointless since this is not GB

You may call it disagreements while others call it having a conversation. Therefore, it may be pointless to you, but not to everyone. 

No offense, but you can easily ignore this thread if you do not like the conversation. I often ignore threads that I don’t care about. 

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

You may call it disagreements while others call it having a conversation. Therefore, it may be pointless to you, but not to everyone. 

No offense, but you can easily ignore this thread if you do not like the conversation. I often ignore threads that I don’t care about. 

Who said I didn’t 

15 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Who said I didn’t 

Then what’s your problem?

You tell everybody they need to take a break when there is no reason to. We have several respectful conversations going on and you blurt out that everyone needs to take a break.

You’re free to take a break anytime you would like, as is everyone else. 

You havent added anything to this conversation and your input has only derailed the discussion. 

I am going to get back to discussions with people who are actually contributing to this thread. 

Just now, BlueShoe said:

Then what’s your problem?

You tell everybody they need to take a break when there is no reason to. We have several respectful conversations going on and you blurt our that everyone needs to take a break.

You’re free to take a break anytime you would like, as is everyone else. 

You havent added anything to this conversation and your input has only derailed the discussion. 

I am going to get back to discussions with people who are actually contributing to this thread. 

Okay

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The thing is when you have the wholesale changes we had in the coaching staff everything started out on page one.

It takes time to get all the things ironed out.

We also have to keep in mind that Ballard himself has only been on the job for one year as well as the changes in his staff.

For anyone who thought this was going to be a smooth transition was not thinking about the reality of it all.

There was no high dollar free agent that was all of a sudden be the difference maker to get wins for this team. The problems go a lot deeper than who could have been brought in through free agency.

That’s why I want to be fair and wait until we see some results this season before I make any real judgements.

I am not going to pretend that I don’t see red flags. But those red flags may or may not amount to anything. Time will tell. 

It’s certainly an interesting approach we are taking thus far. If it’s a money ball game then I want to see it play out. 

3 hours ago, IinD said:

Never know, bossman Jim may have told him don't spend for this season.

Meaning build this thing up a little through the draft before we do anything major. A total opinion, but there's probably several factors which we aren't privy to. Or it could just be guys not wanting to join a potentially Luck-less team and going 4-12.

Who knows at this point?

Any BIG guitar auctions coming up?

relax, i'm joking, not trolling.

haha

I'm a lil disappointed at the lack of signings too.

however, i'd be more didappointed if Ballard pays elite money for above average players. 

And when i look realistically at this free agency, i dont see elite talent.

things will calm down and we will get some solid players at team-friendly contracts....... like last year.

you DON't build your team in free agency.  You supplement and add depth, imo.  You only over-spend if you are a player or two a ay from a super bowl.  Draft well!  Draft well!  Draft well!

that is the blueprint.  

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

:D 

Jims guitars are worth more than most Colts fans will make in a lifetime. 

Jim thinking:   "Hmmmm, Norwell or Prince's purple Rain guiter?

Jim to Ballard:   "Sorry dude, i've got priorities"

note:  once again, just joking to keep from crying.

haha

54 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Hell the Colts could win a super bowl and the media would blame it on something beside the Colts being good.

The media sucks if your not one of their favorites. We don't have enough drama or players shooting themselves. haha

Just now, WoolMagnet said:

Jim thinking:   "Hmmmm, Norwell or Prince's purple Rain guiter?

Jim to Ballard:   "Sorry dude, i've got priorities"

note:  once again, just joking to keep from crying.

haha

Andrew Norwell only lasts 5 years, a purple Rain guitar lasts a lifetime! :)