Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Silver Calls out Ballard

Zoltan

Just some quotes from what he said “I’m just trying to figure it out. Ryan Grigson came in and took over a team that had bottomed out, they won 52 games over 5 years — and got fired. Chris Ballard came in and Jim Irsay declared that he was — by far — the best GM candidate of the 21st century.”

“Now — you have all the money, free agency’s going on — bro, wow us Chris! You’ve won 4 games, wow us with your accumen, because now is the time to spend your owner’s money.”

“If you’re the best GM candidate of the 21st century take the swing, and by the way, we’re also talking about; you had Josh McDaniels lined up as your chosen head coach and you swung and missed at that — you couldn’t close.”

I know that most people are frustrated with no big signings, but Ballard had said don't expect to be wowed in early free agency. But dang I didn't expect Someone to go after Ballard so far and defend Grigson this early in his tenure.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/3/15/17126428/mike-silver-calls-on-chris-ballard-to-wow-us-in-free-agency

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people are calling Ballard out. Reggie Wayne is even shaking his head because of the Colts inactivity. 

He better know what he is doing, because he has put a target on himself.

I am patiently waiting to see what this plan actually is. For Ballard's sake, it needs to work. The national media is about to light him up. 

Just now, BlueShoe said:

A lot of people are calling him out. 

He better know what he is doing, because he has put a target on himself.

I am patiently waiting to see what this plan actually is. For Ballard's sake, it needs to work. The national media is about to light him up. 

I just think it's crazy that Silver was saying that Grigson was doing better, especially when you look at his draft history and that he is the reason our roster is so depleted.

3 minutes ago, Colton Stenger said:

Just some quotes from what he said “I’m just trying to figure it out. Ryan Grigson came in and took over a team that had bottomed out, they won 52 games over 5 years — and got fired. Chris Ballard came in and Jim Irsay declared that he was — by far — the best GM candidate of the 21st century.”

“Now — you have all the money, free agency’s going on — bro, wow us Chris! You’ve won 4 games, wow us with your accumen, because now is the time to spend your owner’s money.”

“If you’re the best GM candidate of the 21st century take the swing, and by the way, we’re also talking about; you had Josh McDaniels lined up as your chosen head coach and you swung and missed at that — you couldn’t close.”

I know that most people are frustrated with no big signings, but Ballard had said don't expect to be wowed in early free agency. But dang I didn't expect Someone to go after Ballard so far and defend Grigson this early in his tenure.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/3/15/17126428/mike-silver-calls-on-chris-ballard-to-wow-us-in-free-agency

1 minute ago, IndyD4U said:

Fake news. 

Talking heads doing what they do. 

Does anyone not remember the Polina Era? 

And a follow up to that; does anyone remember Grigson's dream team? 

We're fine 

I watched Mike Silver say this live.

Even Reggie Wayne is shaking his head 

Is it all substantial? Not necessarily. We will have to wait and see. I am patiently waiting to see how this plays out. 

1 minute ago, Colton Stenger said:

I just think it's crazy that Silver was saying that Grigson was doing better, especially when you look at his draft history and that he is the reason our roster is so depleted.

Up to this point, we do not have enough information to measure Ballard against Grigson. 

1 minute ago, MightyLucks said:

Is he wrong in questioning Ballard though? And no I’m not saying Ballard should be fired or that he’s failed. I just see his point 

I think he is wrong because he is saying to make a big splash signing for the sake of creating a wave, I mean a lot of people liked the Miami signing of Suh but look where it got them paying a lot of money and in cap trouble this year where they lost a lot of talent.

3 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

Is he wrong in questioning Ballard though? And no I’m not saying Ballard should be fired or that he’s failed. I just see his point 

Agreed! We need to measure Ballard just as we would any GM of another team. 

Ballard is barely over a year in this gig... so for me it is too early. 

Never know, bossman Jim may have told him don't spend for this season.

Meaning build this thing up a little through the draft before we do anything major. A total opinion, but there's probably several factors which we aren't privy to. Or it could just be guys not wanting to join a potentially Luck-less team and going 4-12.

Who knows at this point?

5 minutes ago, Colton Stenger said:

It’s what you do when your career relies on big talk. It’s not even fair to judge Ballard yet on creating a roster because of what Grigson didn’t do; draft well. 

Ive never heard of this dude Silver, but I can tell he isn’t very good at his job. 

Especially with this quote:

If you’re the best GM candidate of the 21st century take the swing, and by the way, we’re also talking about; you had Josh McDaniels lined up as your chosen head coach and you swung and missed at that — you couldn’t close.”

I think the good/great GMs they don't take a lot of swings because they measure the risk first, so when they take a giant risk on a player there's a better chance of it being worth it. Taking a lot of swings means that you have a high chance of failure and being stuck with a bad contract

10 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Fake news. 

Talking heads doing what they do. 

Does anyone not remember the Polian Era? 

And a follow up to that; does anyone remember Grigson's dream team? 

We're fine 

I agree take atleast one swing we will don this and still only win 4 games this isn't making this team better its staying the course.

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

It’s what you do when your career relies on big talk. It’s not even fair to judge Ballard yet on creating a roster because of what Grigson didn’t do; draft well. 

Ive never heard of this dude Silver, but I can tell he isn’t very good at his job. 

Actually, Mike Silver is very good at his job and he is very well respected. I have never seen him lose his cool like that. The dude is typically laid back.  

15 minutes ago, Colton Stenger said:

This is not a comment on the person who made this post, but instead a comment about the ridiculous, nonsensical Michael Silver quote.....

Oh!    Dear!     God!!!   

What a clueless *....      :facepalm:

It's nobody's fault but your own if you're being surprised by the Colts activity (or lack thereof) in free agency.

Ballard has literally said this for months. The Colts weren't going to build their team through FA.

Also, McDaniels was his fault? haha So what is Ballard supposed to do exactly? Mind control Josh into forcibly taking the Colts head coaching job?

3 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Actually, Mike Silver is very good at his job and he is very well respected. I have never seen him lose his cool like that. The dude is typically laid back.  

Really? What is he a part of? If it’s ESPN, Gruden turned on us too, very unusually rude during last years draft on the steal of Hooker. That whole network is a sham. 

Good to hear Silver is actually a contributing member to the media. Too much hate for the Colts though overall, considering it’s a good organization and has a respectful owner and players like Luck. 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Good heavens...

I might need to check out for a few days.

I'm in a couple of Colts groups on Facebook, it's REAL bad over there. Twitter's rough with this nonsense as well, but way easier to avoid the dummies. The most level-headed spot I've been to the past few days though has been the Colts Reddit channel, it's not nearly as childish as the other 2.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm in a couple of Colts groups on Facebook, it's REAL bad over there. Twitter's rough with this nonsense as well, but way easier to avoid the dummies. The most level-headed spot I've been to the past few days though has been the Colts Reddit channel, it's not nearly as childish as the other 2.

Just curious, where does the forum land in level-headedness, higher being worse?

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

I have never seen Mike Silver react like that before. He is actually very well respected and usually very laid back. 

Seriously, that's one of the weird parts of it coming from him. I would expect this from like a random unknown sports writer but to call him out on NFL Network, I was caught off guard.

1 minute ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Really? What is he a part of? If it’s ESPN, Gruden turned on us too, very unusually rude during last years draft on the steal of Hooker. That whole network is a sham. 

Good to hear Silver is actually a contributing member to the media. Too much hate for the Colts though overall, considering it’s a good organization and has a respectful owner and players like Luck. 

Silver is on the NFL Network. As far as I know, he doesn't have a history of reacting this way. 

I mean, there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism and pointing out flaws/facts. 

However, delving so deep into something like this without considering the previous regime and mistakes made that rollover into this one can’t be ignored either. That’s like blaming your current boss for something the previous one did and is working to resolve. It’s not gonna be solved overnight. 

I see nothing similar to the Polian era here.  The guy is spending money.  It's just being spent on Sheard and Autry types.  My guess is Ballard is aiming higher, but this is not an attractive situation.

22 minutes ago, Colton Stenger said:

He also needs to remember ballard didn't have andrew luck his 1st year with the colts

1 minute ago, Colton Stenger said:

Seriously, that's one of the weird parts of it coming from him. I would expect this from like a random unknown sports writer but to call him out on NFL Network, I was caught off guard.

Agreed! No one was disagreeing with him on the NFL Network either. I think his comments surprised the supporting cast though. 

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Silver is on the NFL Network. As far as I know, he doesn't have a history of reacting this way. 

So strange. Hopefully it was just a bad morning. Well, Ballard is working to prove him wrong. Signing Autry was a very good move to start. 

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm really shocked as some of this stuff, to be honest. 

r/NFL and the Colts channel, both full of knowledgeable NFL fans. And the Reddit formula pushes nonsense down where it doesn't have to be seen. I prefer the forum format to Reddit threads, but they know what they're talking about over there. 

For the record - Mike Silver is good friends with Grigson and has been bagging on the Colts ever since we fired him. This is the most transparently unhinged biased garbage I've seen around in quite a while. I usually don't buy the conspiracies like "every national media hates the Colts" and I think most of those are nonsense, but this is really very very VERY easily traceable to his relationship with Grigson.. . 

What people are not realizing also is that our QB situation is better than people think Brissett on his basically rookie year put up decent numbers for a rookie, and according to Gregg Rosenthal the Colts had 2 quarterbacks in the top 32 in the league, which when you look at the trade for him we gave up a WR who was a bust 1st rounder.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920622/article/quarterback-rankings-top-32-signalcallers-across-nfl?campaign=Twitter_atn