Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does anyone here think or wonder if the McDaniels fiasco has/will cost us in free agency

Happy2BeHere

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

This has less to do with McDaniels and more to do with either Ballard not willing to pay in FA and build through the draft.

or

INDY not being a place people want to live and play for. Not much star appeal on the team as is or in that market. Also the weather there isn't the most welcoming

or

simply being outbid

I agree.

We seem to be in a situation where our only draw is money. 

Andrew Luck is not a draw right now because of the uncertainty surrounding his shoulder.

Our "history of success" is not a draw right now because we're coming off a losing season.

We do not have a coach with an outgoing personality who will draw players.

People have respect and faith in Ballard, but he is still too new to draw players on his name alone.

Our ONLY draw right now is money, BUT we are trying to draw the players who are not only interested in money.

That's a tough sell.

We will need to re-establish some success before we can sign the players we want at the prices we want.

6 minutes ago, That Guy said:

I agree.

Andrew Luck is not a draw right now because of the uncertainty surrounding his shoulder.

Our "history of success" is not a draw right now because we're coming off a losing season.

People have respect and faith in Ballard, but he is still too new to draw players on his name alone.

Our ONLY draw right now is money, BUT we are trying to draw the players who are not only interested in money.

That's a tough sell.

We will need to re-establish some success before we can sign the players we want at the prices we want.

Well said.

2 hours ago, That Guy said:

I agree.

That's a tough sell.

Confused about the HC part, he just came off a super bowl and seems to have plenty of personality who is also likeable within the league... So in my opinion that is a mute point and teams way worse then the colts have signed players Ballard is just taking a very systematic approach to all this that's all. 

5 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

This has less to do with McDaniels and more to do with either Ballard not willing to pay in FA and build through the draft.

or

INDY not being a place people want to live and play for. Not much star appeal on the team as is or in that market. Also the weather there isn't the most welcoming

or

simply being outbid

In Norwell's case it was probably a combination of all those. Indy's a tough sell when you have San Francisco, New York, and Jacksonville courting you as well. And my guess is that he chose the Jags largely because there's no state income tax in Florida. If Indy wanted to win his services they would've probably had to shell out roughly $17mil/year to offset that, and there's no way he's worth that much.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

In Norwell's case it was probably a combination of all those. Indy's a tough sell when you have San Francisco, New York, and Jacksonville courting you as well. And my guess is that he chose the Jags largely because there's no state income tax in Florida. If Indy wanted to win his services they would've probably had to shell out roughly $17mil/year to offset that, and there's no way he's worth that much.

I think the Jags run into the playoffs had more to do with him signing with the Jags than state income tax.

12 hours ago, Jaric said:

Yeah I just think Ballard is closer to Bill Polian than Ryan Grigson when it comes to free agency.

Much to the chagrin of the forum, but if as a GM you make decisions based on what fans want, you'll soon be joining them.

I like how you talk about Polian, and then turn around a quote him very subtly. Well done. Well done. :applause:

1 hour ago, DarkSuperman said:

The only thing these NFL free agents care about is money.

That is not true at all.    Many times the money will be equal or close.   That is when other factors come into play.  

Norwell could have procured the same contract from several teams.   The Jags most likely got him because of the warm weather climate and moreso that they are on the rise. 

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:29 PM, chrisfarley said:

I agree, we need to wait and see.  Right this minute, we are getting hammered on NFL Network.  From everything from jim irsay saying Ballard is the best GM of the 21st century , 56 sacks, we have only acquired one player (relative no-name), tons of cash and doing nothing with it, the McDaniels fiasco as it relates to Ballard being a "good" GM, etc, and blah blah blah.  They said they talked to an Indy local reporter and everyone in Indy is scratching their heads.  It almost sounds like Gregg Doyel is lurking in the building at NFL Network.  

I wouldn't worry to much about what they say on the NFL network . Other than occasional updates.  That good morning access with those clowns trying to entertain us with their fluff skits is pretty sorry. I'm sorry but i expected better from the NFL network than that pathetic display.   

Look. A professional athlete only has so many years that they earn money playing the game. And, especially in football, your career can end in an instant. Yes, these guys are trying to earn as much money as they possibly can. For some of these guys, it's got to last them and their families for the rest of their lives.

Players play for money. for love too, but for money. 

it so happens that Ballard is for some reason expecting other ballclubs to be as reasonable as him.

only takes one team willing to pay a backup who has one good season so much that they're the highest paid player in the dang league.

having said that, it's frustrating to watch