Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does anyone here think or wonder if the McDaniels fiasco has/will cost us in free agency

Happy2BeHere

Does anyone here think or wonder if the McDaniels fiasco has/will cost us in free agency?

To me I definitely think it’s hypothetical that a player could look at the fact McDaniels backed out at the last minute and translate that into “maybe he backed out because he knows something that we don’t or maybe he just realized that this team wasn’t going to be a contender for some time to come”.

Again all very hypothetical and we don’t know I just was thinking about this during the free agent frenzy when I think it’s fair to say most of us would have thought we would have had some bigger or at least better signings by now.

Yeah I just think Ballard is closer to Bill Polian than Ryan Grigson when it comes to free agency.

Much to the chagrin of the forum, but if as a GM you make decisions based on what fans want, you'll soon be joining them.

4 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Does anyone here think or wonder if the McDaniels fiasco has/will cost us in free agency?

To me I definitely think it’s hypothetical that a player could look at the fact McDaniels backed out at the last minute and translate that into “maybe he backed out because he knows something that we don’t or maybe he just realized that this team wasn’t going to be a contender for some time to come”.

Again all very hypothetical and we don’t know I just was thinking about this during the free agent frenzy when I think it’s fair to say most of us would have thought we would have had some bigger or at least better signings by now.

no

This has less to do with McDaniels and more to do with either Ballard not willing to pay in FA and build through the draft.

or

INDY not being a place people want to live and play for. Not much star appeal on the team as is or in that market. Also the weather there isn't the most welcoming

or

simply being outbid

7 minutes ago, Jaric said:

Yeah I just think Ballard is closer to Bill Polian than Ryan Grigson when it comes to free agency.

Much to the chagrin of the forum, but if as a GM you make decisions based on what fans want, you'll soon be joining them.

Well said!!! :thmup:

8 minutes ago, Jaric said:

Not sure about that.  He spent a lot of money in free agency last year and will likely do so again this year.  We're just not landing the Zeitler, Norwell or Poe types.  Remember, Poe turned down huge money to come here last year.  All the money is going to similar backup, rotational types.  Hankins was the only true starter we landed.  It appears to be the same story this year, so yeah, for a variety of reasons - losing, Luck's health, small midwest market, the McDaniels fiasco - Indy seems to have become a less than desirable destination.

19 minutes ago, Jaric said:

No joke...

Lol... After this week I feel like opening an anger management course in the Indy area could be a lucrative endeavor!!!

24 minutes ago, Jaric said:

Ya maybe but signing table scrap of free agent will land him hanging out with the fans somewhere down the line too believe it or not.

5 minutes ago, #12. said:

Not sure about that.  He spent a lot of money in free agency last year and will likely do so again this year.  We're just not landing the Zeitler, Norwell or Poe types.  Remember, Poe turned down huge money to come here last year.  All the money is going to similar backup, rotational types.  Hankins was the only true starter we landed.  It appears to be the same story this year, so yeah, for a variety of reasons - losing, Luck's health, small midwest market, the McDaniels fiasco - Indy seems to have become a less than desirable destination.

It could also just be that we're not willing to make significant financial commitments to guys we haven't seen perform in a Colts uniform.

Or likely some combination of all those factors.

25 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

This has less to do with McDaniels and more to do with either Ballard not willing to pay in FA and build through the draft.

or

INDY not being a place people want to live and play for. Not much star appeal on the team as is or in that market. Also the weather there isn't the most welcoming

or

simply being outbid

Certainly some ideas, but there can be many other reasons. 

37 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

There isn't font large enough to display my no. 

39 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

i don't see how a player could think that knowing full well that McDaniel's stayed because of Robert Crooked Kraft i mean CB stated that clear as day.

37 minutes ago, Jaric said:

I don't get this. Ballard's approach to free agency so far hasn't been different than Grigson's was in 2013. It's been a touch slower, but in a few days I'm sure the Colts will have added several free agents.

31 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

or

or

simply being outbid

I don't think players care much about where they live during the season. Many of them just rent a nice apartment to live in for the season, then go "home" (wherever that is) when the season is over. If your career is as short as that of an NFL player, you go where you can get paid to play, and worry about where you live later in life. If players cared all that much about where they played, Green Bay, Cleveland and Buffalo wouldn't have NFL teams at all. I lived in Indy for about 10 years, and it was a nice place to raise a family (at least it was in the suburbs, out of IPS).  

58 minutes ago, Jaric said:

To your last line 

1) you are so correct

2) you probably need to give Polian proper attribution to that comment.  ;)

8 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

I think because of the roster holes we have are keeping good fa away. 

Yeah, that ain't it either.

Why is it so hard to believe that this FA period is unfolding 

1) exactly the way Ballard said it would

2) exactly the way Ballard wants it to.  

Just now, jskinnz said:

Yeah, that ain't it either.

Why is it so hard to believe that this FA period is unfolding 

1) exactly the way Ballard said it would

2) exactly the way Ballard wants it to.  

Cuz it's harder to accept that players, aren't interested in coming to the team you like!

4 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

To you last line 

1) you are so correct

2) you probably need to give Polian proper attribution to that comment.  ;)

I believe credit should actually go to Marv Levy.  (But yes, I heard that from Polian)

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't get this. Ballard's approach to free agency so far hasn't been different than Grigson's was in 2013. It's been a touch slower, but in a few days I'm sure the Colts will have added several free agents.

Free agency ended 2 days ago.  (Allegedly...)

Just now, Superman said:

Yet, back in reality, free agency only began 24 hours ago (23 and a half, actually).

That's not how the forum tells it.

:monkeydance:(not sure what this monkey has to do with what I posted but I'm including it anyway.)

13 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Cuz it's harder to accept that players, aren't interested in coming to the team you like!

I would counterpoint that it's harder to accept that the plan they are executing is correct....just perhaps not what you may want. 

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yet, back in reality, free agency only began 24 hours ago (23 and a half, actually).

I agree, we need to wait and see.  Right this minute, we are getting hammered on NFL Network.  From everything from jim irsay saying Ballard is the best GM of the 21st century , 56 sacks, we have only acquired one player (relative no-name), tons of cash and doing nothing with it, the McDaniels fiasco as it relates to Ballard being a "good" GM, etc, and blah blah blah.  They said they talked to an Indy local reporter and everyone in Indy is scratching their heads.  It almost sounds like Gregg Doyel is lurking in the building at NFL Network.  

3 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

I agree, we need to wait and see.  Right this minute, we are getting hammered on NFL Network.  From everything from jim irsay saying Ballard is the best GM of the 21st century , 56 sacks, we have only acquired one player (relative no-name), tons of cash and doing nothing with it, the McDaniels fiasco as it relates to Ballard being a "good" GM, etc, and blah blah blah.  They said they talked to an Indy local reporter and everyone in Indy is scratching their heads.  It almost sounds like Gregg Doyel is lurking in the building at NFL Network.  

I really don't care about any of that. For Chris Ballard to get the Colts where they need to be, he has to acquire good players and stack good drafts, and it's going to take more than 3 days in March for that to happen. Just because he didn't hook a bunch of big names in the first wave of free agency doesn't mean he isn't doing a good job, and no one will be able to effectively judge what he's doing until a) he's actually put a roster on the field, and b) that roster has a chance to perform.

I get all the microwave reaction, but we have the benefit of knowing all this stuff and responding accordingly. We don't have to go on the roller coaster ride with NFL Network and trolls like Doyel.

And yet, this board has been a three ring circus for days now...

I think you ask a valid question.

However, I don't believe the McDaniels issue affected it because the league knows McDaniels.  They remember the temper tantrum throwing cheater in Denver and the blame for the McDaniels-to-Indy fiasco was on McDaniels and not the Colts.  If it were a coach with class like Dungy or someone, people would ask what was wrong with Indy for him to back out at the last minute.