Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts hosting a visit with DL Benson Mayowa

Virtuoso80

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

i get the depth signing but the area of focus right now looks to be on the DL, which was one of our only strong points this season.:sip:

Remember...  we're in a new system and not all of our DL will make the conversion. I believe we were 31st in pass rush, so we need all the help we can get.

I'm glad we're looking for more after we just signed Autry a day ago.

3 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

I just realized that Autry had 5 sacks last year and Mayowa had 6....that could have about led the Colts in sacks last  year. These are people who put those numbers up as non-full time players too.

i just was reading that. 

17 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

:popcorn:

Agree 100% we do have OTHER POSITIONS?

and I'm sure many, many other calls are being made and visits being scheduled that we just haven't heard about yet.  Why are people assuming Ballard is only looking at and contacting Defensive linemen?  

4 minutes ago, J@son said:

and I'm sure many, many other calls are being made and visits being scheduled that we just haven't heard about yet.  Why are people assuming Ballard is only looking at and contacting Defensive linemen?  

I'm saying that it is interesting that so far, the only reports are connecting us to DL  with maybe 1 OL possibility.  I'm quite sure there's many more players and positions involved.  Just saying it's intriguing as its being reported.

52 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Agreed

for me at least attaching that label on someone before they have played a game as a Colt is like calling a UDFA a camp body

I thought you said everybody is a camp body

55 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

I just realized that Autry had 5 sacks last year and Mayowa had 6....that could have about led the Colts in sacks last  year. These are people who put those numbers up as non-full time players too.

Yes, and he is 6'5 so he can knock down passes he had 7 last season that can't be underestimated. 

14 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Almost Everyone is

The only guys that aren’t are those with contracts that do not allow being released

Yeah I meant that in a joking way not a confrontational way. Apologies I should have worded it better. But I agree. I don't like labeling anyone before they even get a chance.

Ex-Cowboys DE Benson Mayowa receiving plenty of free-agency interest, including from Redskins

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/03/12/ex-cowboys-de-benson-mayowa-receiving-plenty-free-agency-interest-including-redskins

...Over the weekend, reports surfaced that the Washington Redskins were waiting to meet with defensive end Benson Mayowa. Now the list of interested teams has grown to four, according to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport.

According to the report, Washington, Seattle, Indianapolis and the New York Jets are all set to visit with Mayowa...

48-La4Vw_normal.jpgIan Rapoport
The #Jets are hosting former #Cowboys pass-rusher Benson Mayowa, source said. He’s got the #Redskins tomorrow. #Seahawks and #Colts also expecting visits (if he doesn’t).

1 hour ago, J@son said:

Because thats whats happened so far! Yes I am sure CB whom I like, is trying, but IMO he is adding talent to the most talented position group we have! In the famous words of YODA & my wife unfortunately  " There is no try only do"   

1 hour ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

:popcorn:

Agree 100% we do have OTHER POSITIONS?

Try to envision Ballard's vision of what a good FA purchase is (player/exp/price/etc). Whatever that is....let's say that that this years FA crop (so far) happens to be adding to positions we already have. You make those great buys, even if you are already strong there. I think we are not filling holes with FA to get us over the top...and we are not filling holes with $$$ FA. Save the pricey contracts for a time when the foundation has a clearer picture. 

3 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

If you go look at his stats he showed up and showed out against back up QB's. 4 out of the 5 sacks came from the likes of Geno Smith (in Eli's infamous benched game), Paxton Lynch & Nick Foles. He had half sacks against KC (Alex Smith) and NYJ (Josh McCown) to round out his 5 sack season. So he only got a half sack on 1 true starting QB (Alex Smith). 

Good for him to parlay that into $6 million a year. 

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

Try to envision Ballard's vision of what a good FA purchase is (player/exp/price/etc). Whatever that is....let's say that that this years FA crop (so far) happens to be adding to positions we already have. You make those great buys, even if you are already strong there. I think we are not filling holes with FA to get us over the top...and we are not filling holes with $$$ FA. Save the pricey contracts for a time when the foundation has a clearer picture. 

So got it on the other hand we have what maybe 2 CB and WR"s on the roster that are any good. Envision that SCARY!

1 minute ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

So got it on the other hand we have what maybe 2 CB and WR"s on the roster that are any good. Envision that SCARY!

Well, if we start the season without addressing those two positions, that would indeed be a cause for concern. I don't think that will be the case. 

1 hour ago, DarkSuperman said:

This is one guy I really want to come to Indianapolis. Huge upside.

There is a 11 min video on Youtube with someone breaking down his plays. He looks really fast, shows good effort, and knows where the QB or RB is and gets off the block nicely and goes after them.