Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Jensen Visiting Colts Today

1959Colts

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Can he play guard as well as he plays center?

It's nice to have a backup but we desperately need new starters at guard.

I don't know. This is a legit question. He has played both left and right guard previously, but not as well as he did at center from what I gather. 

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

That is very subjective and depends on several things

Indeed it is, I was just confused as to why you answered Valpo's Q of whether or not he could play the position as well as C, by answering he'd played it before.....  but I digress, I hope we bring Jensen in at a good market appropriate deal....  we need OL help

5 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Indeed it is, I was just confused as to why you answered Valpo's Q of whether or not he could play the position as well as C, by answering he'd played it before.....  but I digress, I hope we bring Jensen in at a good market appropriate deal....  we need OL help

I answered it that way because in the NFL he is a G who can play C

12 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Yes since the only Gs are on the roster are Glowinski, Bond and Vuj

7 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

as crappy as the guard play was with Mewhort out, he'd be a massive upgrade.

Yeah I was just reading about him in an article and it stated.

“Jensen has position flexibility, has shown improvement each year in his young career, and does not have the imbalanced skill set that is typical of a lot of free agent offensive linemen — strong against the run but weak against the pass or vice versa. If Ballard brings Jensen into the fold it will require a contact that approaches $10M per year. This would be, by an definition, a marquee offensive line acquisition.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stampedeblue.com/platform/amp/2018/3/15/17123402/colts-still-have-key-opportunities-in-free-agency-trade-scenarios

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Captain Obvious statement alert. I think Ballard is deadset on drafting a clear day 1 starter on the OL (rd. 2 at the latest) along with two O-linemen throughout the mid-late rounds. A Wyatt Teller type, with potential to be a starter, and another depth guy.

Of course that's with the idea that we trade back, which seems all too likely at this point. There's too much talent at positions of need (OL, LB, WR, RB) throughout the first 3 rounds to not trade back.

Regretably, this is another poor class for O-tackles.   And this appears to be a very bad class of WRs.    One GM said the class is terrible in the first two rounds and doesn't get decent until R3.

We are in good shape for interior O-lineman.   Good shape for off-ball linebackers, but not outside linebackers, and goid shape on running backs.   So it's a bit of a mixed bag.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That wouldn't be bracing myself, that'd be best case scenario. I'm praying we trade back at this point. My logic is correct though, and I'm surprised Ballard wasn't thinking like that. 

Do you even realize that when you write "my logic is correct and your surprised that Ballard agrees with you."  that you're literally saying you're smarter and more informed than Ballard is.

Here are some possibilities that you and others haven't considered....

1.   Maybe Ballard agrees with you, but maybe Irsay wouldn't allow CB to bid more.

Or....

2.    Maybe we offered more than J'Ville did and Norwell just wanted to go to a program that us ready to win NOW.   Remember, we went to bed Monday night as a favorite with SF (who could offer more money) and the NYG.   But the next day, J'Ville is announced as the winner.   Sure feels like all things being roughly equal, Norwell wanted a winning program if he could get one.

There are all sorts of scenarios that could've happened and you (and others) are upset because we just didn't keep offering more and more and more. 

Ballatd and Irsay offered a great deal, but Norwell chose another deal.   That's the way this works.    Sucks for us!

Peopkeare so crazy here that I'm reading ousts about how Ballard may have gone cheap.   CHEAP!!   Incredible.

Someone else offered that he was possibly caught off-guard and surprised.  Mind boggling!

Hopefully we sign Jensen and then draft a guard on Day 2.    As for a tackle... Either Fleming, or he's on the roster now and we don't know yet who it is.

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Regretably, this is another poor class for O-tackles.   And this appears to be a very bad class of WRs.    One GM said the class is terrible in the first two rounds and doesn't get decent until R3.

We are in good shape for interior O-lineman.   Good shape for off-ball linebackers, but not outside linebackers, and goid shape on running backs.   So it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Yeah no draft is perfect, but I do think our needs match up with the better prospects who should be avaliable in rd's 2-3. It's mostly because we have so many needs, but yeah.

Completely agree about the OT's though, was never high on this group. Thought the top guys were overhyped (McGlinch, Brown, even Williams). I do like some of the mid-late round options though (Cappa, Okorofar if he doesn't rise), and even beyond that I think there could be some good options in the 5th or 6th. I'm okay if we stay away from OT's though.

As for the WR's, Ballard seems intrigued by the earlier round options. Met with Sutton and DJ Moore (2nd or 3rd rounder probably). I'd be a little surprised if we didn't take a WR before rd. 4, assuming a trade back, considering we're so thin there and likely will be even after FA.

• Like 1

He’s good at center. Average graded at guard at best. There. Now you all know.

Imo if we intend to play him at Guard (which we absolutely will) it’d be a mistake to sign him for the 10+ mil a year it’s going to take. 

I know lots of you think we probably bid the same amount for Norwell but I’d honestly have been comfortable upping that offer for an all pro guard vs the 10 mil we’re going to have to pay for an average at best guard.

Just my honest thoughts on this but this dude is going to be a guy we’re going to sin and cut as soon as it makes the most “financial sense”. A disappointment, if you will 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Imo if we intend to play him at Guard (which we absolutely will) it’d be a mistake to sign him for the 10+ mil a year it’s going to take. 

I know lots of you think we probably bid the same amount for Norwell but I’d honestly have been comfortable upping that offer for an all pro guard vs the 10 mil we’re going to have to pay for an average at best guard.

Just my honest thoughts on this but this dude is going to be a guy we’re going to sin and cut as soon as it makes the most “financial sense”. A disappointment, if you will 

Who says AN wasn’t a product of having a great QB

PM made average OL look great

3 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Rapaport said “he could command double digits” if he does I’m gonna be * we didn’t outbid the jags for Norwell. Would you rather have Jensen for 10-11 or Norwell for 14?

Exactly. Sounds like this guy was a backup going into last year. Watch us blow a lot of money on this dude and then play him out of position. 

3 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

you had me agreeing right up until that last line.  

6 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

In terms of being a good center and an average guard, this is a bit skewed.

The problem with that logic is that Jensen never has had a chance to be a full-time Guard yet.

His first couple years he was a depth guy that only got spot starts and graded out as average at that time. But he did progress year to year. Even his PFF rating (for folks that like that stuff) went up every year.

It just so happened that last year (as he continued his progression), the Ravens needed him at Center. The fact that he basically played a new position and continued his progression and had his best rated year to date while in a new position and in his first full time gig is actually a plus and not a minus in my book.

In the end he is an ascending player w versatility.

Is he as good of a Guard as Norwell? No. But nobody is saying that.

Is he more versatile than Norwell? Yes.

Is he a player on the upswing w more room for growth and the ability to actually get better than he already is? Yes.

It will likely take $8.5-$10.5M a year to get him. This is because he is the best Center out there. And there is competition for his services. Hell Tampa has a ton of money too.

We will need to pay to get him. I would pay. He is the type of guy that is worth it.

If Weston Richburg got 5 years and 47.5M w/ $26.5M guaranteed, Jense should come close to that or top it.

Reading between the lines that would imply around $9.5-10.5M a year w about half his contract guaranteed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He can play Guard or Center and he's healthy and only 26. I would definitely sign him. He would really help the O.Line.

He is better as a center...considered an average guard. We already have Ryan Kelly starting at Center.  If we are going to play this guy primarily as a guard then I don’t want Ballard to pay him like he is starting at Center for us.  He isn’t worth $10 million/yr. as a guard. 

Just now, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

As in you don’t think he’ll be a disappointment? That’s fair. I just think he’ll be average at guard, which is fine, but not worth the 10 mil it’s most likely going to take to get him 

I will take an Average Line across the board anyday as we have had a Bad Line since Luck has been in the league. I don't see him as Average but that is my opinion. Next to Kelly I think he could be effective playing Guard and hold his own.