Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Jensen Visiting Colts Today

1959Colts

Just now, austriancolt said:

Colts need to draft Nelson now after missing out on Norwell. Jensen isn't as good as Norwell but is versatile.

We need both Jensen and Nelson, that's how bad the O-Line is. The problem is even if Ballard is interested in Nelson instead of Norwell, there's a chance the Giants could draft him. So in that case he would be either risking it on a 50/50 chance or be willing to move up a pick to guarantee him if he was interested in Nelson. The better strategy would of been just to sign Norwell and overpay and take Nelson if he fell to 3. If he doesn't, then you can take Chubb and still have Norwell. Doesn't make any sense.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

In any case, there was a reason the top guys didn't sign with us. All we can hope for at this point is Jensen signs and it isn't because of Luck's health or Ballard low-balling everyone.

I think it could be both...from the players and Ballard. Obviously the players don't know for sure about Luck...but the uncertainty could impact their decision. But Ballard has that information on Luck (if anyone does). And if he knows something, that could certainly influence what he is willing to offer. I don't see him spending big money in FA in that scenario. I hate to be pessismistic, but the Colts, so far, haven't acted like a team that has a top QB returning next season.

Last offseason, I assume they thought Luck would be back. But with Pagano still here...the approach they took made more sense. Still, they were connected to big-time FAs. This offseason, other than a report regarding Norwell (which might have been misinformation), it's been a couple of guys like Autry and Jensen. I don't believe the Colts are in on Suh...he has said he wants to be paid so it only makes sense for his agent to leak that one of the most cap-rich teams are in on him...even if they aren't.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

PrincetonTiger, before the Winnipeg Jets got into the NHL, the Blackhawks were my team.  Tony O was my hockey hero!

Wow. Tony O, how about Bobby Hall there before he went to WHA Jets?,  Follow Ranger hockey since early 70s. Remember Peter Puck on NBC afternoon games?

Priority Nr. 1 should be to protect Luck and I wouldn't care if we have to overpay to finally fix that mess, doesn't mean I would like to throw out our cap by the window and overpay for 10 guys but Norwell would be a huge improvement and if you pair him with Nelson your line is practically set. With Norwell I also would feel better drafting Chubb or Barkley and get another Guard in Rounds 2-3.  But right now Nelson is a must in my eyes. I think he will be there and Giants take Chubb or Barkley, question is can we afford to trade down a bit and collect a few extra picks or do we risk to lose Nelson too...

49 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It'll definitely cost $10-$11 million. Also, what's the difference between two million when we have over $70 million in cap space and all the top FA's are gone? It's not like we can go back and sign Norwell now.

I know it will cost that much to sign him. I just don’t like the fact of singing someone for that much money when we could have had better for almost the same price. It’s biased hindsight, I’ll still be happy we got him though. Just annoyed we didn’t get Norwell. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Wow. Tony O, how about Bobby Hall there before he went to WHA Jets?,  Follow Ranger hockey since early 70s. Remember Peter Puck on NBC afternoon games?

Bobby Hull, Dennis Hull, Chico Mackey ...

i do remember Peter Puck.  Also, Howie Meaker Hockey School on CBC!

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We need both Jensen and Nelson, that's how bad the O-Line is. The problem is even if Ballard is interested in Nelson instead of Norwell, there's a chance the Giants could draft him. So in that case he would be either risking it on a 50/50 chance or be willing to move up a pick to guarantee him if he was interested in Nelson. The better strategy would of been just to sign Norwell and overpay and take Nelson if he fell to 3. If he doesn't, then you can take Chubb and still have Norwell. Doesn't make any sense.

Dear God...   can you please stop with the...    "it doesn't make any sense."  

We get you're unhappy.

We made a huge offer.  We were a finalist for Norwell.    He accepted another offer.

Brace yourself:   Odds are we will not get Nelson either.   Odds are Ballard will trade back.   And Ballard will try to add a guard either at the top of R2 or R3.

This is the NFL, not Christmas morning. You don't always get what you want.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, NextGenerationLuck said:

You know what you’re right, I’m still stuck in GM mode on madden. 

hahahaha I understand what you are saying though. We just have so much cap and its increasing every year so if we over pay a little it wont kill us. Especially considering none of our current players on rookie deals are going to be resigning for big deals.

• Like 1

Captain Obvious statement alert. I think Ballard is deadset on drafting a clear day 1 starter on the OL (rd. 2 at the latest) along with two O-linemen throughout the mid-late rounds. A Wyatt Teller type, with potential to be a starter, and another depth guy.

Of course that's with the idea that we trade back, which seems all too likely at this point. There's too much talent at positions of need (OL, LB, WR, RB) throughout the first 3 rounds to not trade back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God...   can you please stop with the...    "it doesn't make any sense."  

We get you're unhappy.

We made a huge offer.  We were a finalist for Norwell.    He accepted another offer.

Brace yourself:   Odds are we will not get Nelson either.   Odds are Ballard will trade back.   And Ballard will try to add a guard either at the top of R2 or R3.

This is the NFL, not Christmas morning. You don't always get what you want.

That wouldn't be bracing myself, that'd be best case scenario. I'm praying we trade back at this point. My logic is correct though, and I'm surprised Ballard wasn't thinking like that. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I'm starting a gofundme, lets help Ballard out, between all these fans on here that like to throw money around, I'm sure we can raise a cash bonus of 15mil to sign with us by noon.

:peek:

Good luck getting that money past ballard into the players pockets. haha

1 hour ago, shakedownstreet said:

I was just driving across West 56th Street and noticed a Brinks truck pulling in to the Colts' complex. Could be a good sign!

Don't tease us like that.  Even though Jensen is not one,  the Colts signing a big name free agent :lol: .

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That wouldn't be bracing myself, that'd be best case scenario. I'm praying we trade back at this point. My logic is correct though, and I'm surprised Ballard wasn't thinking like that. 

AND what team do you work professionally for?  Not saying you're wrong, or that you're right.  But lets face it, none of us have worked inside a NFL front office...

Just now, csmopar said:

AND what team do you work professionally for?  Not saying you're wrong, or that you're right.  But lets face it, none of us have worked inside a NFL front office...

I don't need to work for a professional team. That's like saying you have to be a movie director to have an opinion on whether a movie is good or not. Or a professional chef to say whether a meal is good at a restaurant. I'm smart enough to analyze the situation based on FA, the draft, the pick we have in the draft, and make a logical conclusion based on possibilities and outcomes. I expect Ballard to do the same and to do the right one. If I were the GM, I wouldn't of left us vulnerable going into the draft and he has done so to this point.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't need to work for a professional team. That's like saying you have to be a movie director to have an opinion on whether a movie is good or not. Or a professional chef to say whether a meal is good at a restaurant. I'm smart enough to analyze the situation based on FA, the draft, the pick we have in the draft, and make a logical conclusion based on possibilities and outcomes. I expect Ballard to do the same and to do the right one. If I were the GM, I wouldn't of left us vulnerable going into the draft and he has done so to this point.

not disagreeing but for the sake of argument, how do you know he DIDNT try?  We're not exactly an appealing team right about now.

Apparently the Giants feel Jensen is the next best option after Andrew Norwell. 

Giants view-Ryan Jensen contingency plan Andrew Norwell 

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/28/new-york-giants-view-ryan-jensen-contingency-plan-andrew-norwell/

Tony Pauline of Draft Analyst reports that the Giants will make a “concerted effort” to sign Norwell, but view Baltimore Ravens center Ryan Jensen as a less expensive backup option.

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Apparently the Giants feel Jensen is the next best option after Andrew Norwell. 

Giants view-Ryan Jensen contingency plan Andrew Norwell 

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/28/new-york-giants-view-ryan-jensen-contingency-plan-andrew-norwell/

Just in case you didn't know, that's from February.

The Giants made Solder the highest paid LT, I kinda doubt they'll go after Jensen. Even though they don't play the same position I doubt Gettleman will spend too much more on the O-line.

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I know Walterfootball.com is not God or anything but there is a massive difference between Rapport saying he could command double digits and Walterfootball basically saying well he was a decent starter but could stand to be upgraded.  

Walterfootball is trash. In multiple FA rankings Jensen is ranked as a top 50 free agent this year ahead of a ton of players this board has been clamoring for. Here's a handful:

http://nfltraderumors.co/top-2018-nfl-free-agents-list/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917412/article/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2018-kirk-cousins-tops-the-boar

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-free-agent-tracker-an-updated-list-of-where-the-top-50-players-have-signed/

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/26/17040158/nfl-free-agency-2018-top-100-players-signed

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/22654948/ranking-top-100-nfl-free-agents-2018-kirk-cousins-jimmy-graham-andrew-norwell-headline-class

24. Ryan Jensen, C

2017 team: Baltimore Ravens | Age entering 2018 season: 27

Jensen emerged as a full-time starter just in time for his contract year, proving to be a nasty blocker and an effective leader. Other than left tackle, upgrading the center position is probably the most effective way to improve an offensive line.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22669170/mega-guide-2018-nfl-free-agency-players-know-every-category-salary-cap-space-team-needs

Most likely to make a big immediate impact

16038.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

Ryan Jensen, C

2017 team: Ravens | Age: 27

The most efficient way to improve an offensive line is to upgrade at left tackle and/or center. At the moment, Jensen is the best center available on the market. -- Seifert

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/06/pfts-free-agent-top-100/

https://sports.yahoo.com/2018-nfl-free-agent-top-100-041800297--spt.html

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Just in case you didn't know, that's from February.

The Giants made Solder the highest paid LT, I kinda doubt they'll go after Jensen.

I'm not saying the Giants will go after him now.

Just posted the report because of how high Jensen is viewed.

It seems a few hours ago most of us never even heard of Jensen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

not disagreeing but for the sake of argument, how do you know he DIDNT try?  We're not exactly an appealing team right about now.

I know he didn't try because all of his early targets signed with other teams. You don't go 0 for 5+ unless you offer less than appealing deals. You are right, we aren't an appealing team. Therefore, Ballard should of been offering above value for every top target he wanted. If he did that, someone would of signed 100%. As of now, you can't convince me otherwise he offered the most money. If he did, we would of gotten a big name. Ballard had his set prices, and no one big signed, so we move on to the smaller names in FA.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It'll definitely cost $10-$11 million. Also, what's the difference between two million when we have over $70 million in cap space and all the top FA's are gone? It's not like we can go back and sign Norwell now.

The difference is not just the mill per year, but guarantees and lenght of (true) commitment. The Jags are tied with Norwell for 3+ years, or they have to swallow a hell of a lot dead cap. I believe Jensen can be signed with 1-2 years of true commitment.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

3 years $24 mil. with incentives that could put him close to $30 mil. - that should close the deal, IMO. I hope it does.

As long as we close the deal, I'm good. It would actually put us on the right track if he's an effective G. I think it'd make FA passable if we got him today to this point.

1 hour ago, Luck 4 president said:

Rapaport said “he could command double digits” if he does I’m gonna be * we didn’t outbid the jags for Norwell. Would you rather have Jensen for 10-11 or Norwell for 14?

honestly, do any of us really know how much better (if any) Norwell is over Jensen?

I know I haven't watched the tape of either player.

My feeling is, Andrew Norwell, although probably a very good player, has had his stock driven through the roof on internet media hype.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

The difference is not just the mill per year, but guarantees and lenght of (true) commitment. The Jags are tied with Norwell for 3+ years, or they have to swallow a hell of a lot dead cap.

hes only 26, being guaranteed for 3 years isnt really a big deal

Just now, 1959Colts said:

honestly, do any of us really know how much better (if any) Norwell is over Jensen?

My feeling is, Andrew Norwell, although probably a very good player, has had his stock driven through the roof on internet media hype.

Well, the difference between Norwell and Jensen is the price of a mid-tier FA. I'd do that in an instant to get Norwell.

Just now, 1959Colts said:

It will be about the schemes that our new OC and OL coaches will run and how he fits. 

3 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

id be lying if i said i watch opposing guards that closely but pff has norwell rated much higher for what its worth 

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

id be lying if i said i watch opposing guards that closely but pff has norwell rated much higher for what its worth 

Right, pff.

But the GMs (Ballard) who watch many hours of tape should know what to do as well as some statistical site.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

I am talking about the difference on the playing field. Not contract dollars.

I realize that, and Norwell is a top 5 G at worst that is 26, while Jensen is a top C who plays G. I think it's pretty obvious who is better, though Jensen will be nice to have if Kelly gets hurt.