Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Jensen Visiting Colts Today

1959Colts

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

I guess. But it sure seems like some people are acting like they wouldn't want anything to do with Jensen at this price.

I think about half of what he got is a fair price, but I wouldn't have had a problem with the Colts paying what he got.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I guess. But it sure seems like some people are acting like they wouldn't want anything to do with Jensen at this price.

I think the fanbase is honestly torn. We either have a secret plan in place during this offseason, or things simply aren't going our way behind the scenes (ie: we're being a bit cheap or guys just don't want to come here right now).

We want these guys to come here. They'd make us better, but it simply isn't happening for whatever reason right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IinD said:

I think the fanbase is honestly torn. We either have a secret plan in place during this offseason, or things simply aren't going our way behind the scenes (ie: we're being a bit cheap or guys just don't want to come here right now).

We want these guys to come here. They'd make us better, but it simply isn't happening for whatever reason right now.

Yeah I'd agree, and I think you describe both sides more eloquently than most.

The butting of heads seems to come from one side thinking the other wants to go full Grigson and throw money at every FA under the sun, while the other side is viewed as too frugal and wanting to stay out of FA entirely.

• Like 1

I wanted Jensen badly.   Once we were linked to him, I banged the table for his signing.

But I didn't want him at any price.   Why?

Because if we made Jensen an $11 mill guard, then we would eventually be making Ryan Kelly a $12 mill center.  At least.

You also run the risk of committing too much money to one position group.   That's how Carolina got stuck by paying too much for the wrong guys and then they couldn't afford to pay their BEST LINEMAN, and lost Andrew Norwell.

This is not as cut and dry as it might seem....

If I was Ballard I would be trying to bring Mewhort back to the Colts. He's familiar with the team and was playing guard for us and more importantly, shouldn't be commanding too much money. I don't know what's going on right now. I'm a little confused, as everyone else probably is too.

39 minutes ago, IinD said:

I think the fanbase is honestly torn. We either have a secret plan in place during this offseason, or things simply aren't going our way behind the scenes (ie: we're being a bit cheap or guys just don't want to come here right now).

we're being outbid. 

Tampa just made a one-year starter the highest paid player at his position in the league.

A couple of days ago, the Indystar wrote an article explaining that Ballard said the players we want "have to be good fits in the locker room." I think some people thought that meant they had to be good guys, you know, fit in with the chemistry. 

that's not it. how do you explain to, let's say in this case, Ryan Kelly, a first round pick and a better player than Jensen, that Jensen will be the highest paid lineman on the team; in fact in the league?

THAT leads to bad chemistry. 

it's money. It's ALWAYS money

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gigc said:

we're being outbid. 

Tampa just made a one-year starter the highest paid player at his position in the league.

A couple of days ago, the Indystar wrote an article explaining that Ballard said the players we want "have to be good fits in the locker room." I think some people thought that meant they had to be good guys, you know, fit in with the chemistry. 

that's not it. how do you explain to, let's say in this case, Ryan Kelly, a first round pick and a better player than Jensen, that Jensen will be the highest paid lineman on the team; in fact in the league?

THAT leads to bad chemistry. 

it's money. It's ALWAYS money

Unless we were going to play Jensen at center he was never coming here. A smoke screen.

1 hour ago, k9copinmd said:

Going year after year of getting your QB's mashed and bashed and not fixing the problem. That is what is frustrating me the most about this. Fix the damn OL  Ballard...if ya don't do anything else...FIX THE LINE!!

Maybe is was the OC;s fault with all the 7 step drops and WRs not getting open that was to BLAME . Not to mention the QB for holding on too long , yea i know we have been down that road before. Not saying they are great but you can only block for so long before somebody manages to get by I don't care who you are. 

would have liked Jensen.  if we can use the middle of the draft for OL, we could get some defensive talent at the top.  If not, we must get Nelson then use middle of draft for DL....one way or another, the team is getting depleted and we need lots of picks.  I still say Ballard has some magic up his sleeves and he's going to surprise us with some moves in the next couple months because you can't rebuild without having some cornerstones.

• 3 weeks later...

Ryan Jenson being interviewed right now on Sirius XM NFL Radio with them talking in detail with him about the process between Tampa and Indy.  Quite insightful in hearing the thoughts through the mind of the free agent.  Basically he's saying that he really liked both spots and that ultimately it was not money that was the deciding factor.  He says that it really just came down to "fit", the preference for the offensive scheme that Tampa was going to be running as compared to the scheme plan of the Colts.  So there it is, he just based his decision on warm fuzzy feelings of what scheme he thought fits him better.

Btw, he said Indy took him to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse for dinner, not St. Elmo's and he also said he really liked the people he met, he really liked the first class facilities and that it was not easy to leave Indy.  After doing so, though, he sat down with his wife and talked everything out to come up the decision that just felt best for him and his family and that is where Tampa just won out.

So as suspected, it's not all about the money, so this notion that so many "fans" cry about, that Ballard somehow "failed" for not putting out the money necessary to sign a particular FA, that is a misconception.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Ryan Jenson being interviewed right now on Sirius XM NFL Radio with them talking in detail with him about the process between Tampa and Indy.  Quite insightful in hearing the thoughts through the mind of the free agent.  Basically he's saying that he really liked both spots and that ultimately it was not money that was the deciding factor.  He says that it really just came down to "fit", the preference for the offensive scheme that Tampa was going to be running as compared to the scheme plan of the Colts.  So there it is, he just based his decision on warm fuzzy feelings of what scheme he thought fits him better.

Btw, he said Indy took him to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse for dinner, not St. Elmo's and he also said he really liked the people he met, he really liked the first class facilities and that it was not easy to leave Indy.  After doing so, though, he sat down with his wife and talked everything out to come up the decision that just felt best for him and his family and that is where Tampa just won out.

So as suspected, it's not all about the money, so this notion that so many "fans" cry about, in that Ballard "failed" for not putting out the money necessary, that is a misconception.

Sounds to me like he wanted to play center instead of guard basically.

• Like 2

Always figured he chose TB because he wanted to play Center. Probably not the only reason but I figured that was the main thing.

He broke out at Center and even though he's got experience all over the line, I'd rather stay at the position I played well at too.

23 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

So as suspected, it's not all about the money, so this notion that so many "fans" cry about, in that Ballard "failed" for not putting out the money necessary, that is a misconception.

This can't be underscored enough. Any good man knows that the most important determining factor for any job is the wife signing off. I can tell you right now money has been usually 3rd or 4th on the list when it came time for making job and moving decisions between me and my wife. It isn't the be all end all qualifier unless its just a big margin...and even then security and praying about it God has the last say in my house. We can't just assume money is the driving force behind all the decisions that get made. After all McDaniels didn't back out on us because of money...he took less to stay in New England....there are many reasons and not everyone ranks them the same.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

So as suspected, it's not all about the money, so this notion that so many "fans" cry about, that Ballard somehow "failed" for not putting out the money necessary to sign a particular FA, that is a misconception.

This definitely interests me.

Baltimore ran a mostly zone blocking scheme. It is where Jensen excelled.

Tampa Bay runs a mostly zone blocking scheme.

So basically Jensen can remain a Center and play in a zone scheme w TB.

I wonder if there's any take away here that the Colts will shy away from the zone scheme that Philbin was starting to mix in and go back to a more gap or man type scheme?

I know we will mix this up, but in general a lot of teams lean towards one over the other.

If we are primarily going to be more of a downhill, man/gap type scheme then it makes some sense how Jensen felt the "fit" and "scheme" in TB might better suit him.

I haven't been able to find any info as to what Reich plans to run scheme-wise other than some RPO and some tempo information. I know that DeGuglielmo is alleged to have preferred and often ran power/gap schemes in the past. So I wonder if we are going that route.

Will be interesting to see what we run and how that impacts the types of players we look to add along the OL in the draft.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I wonder if there's any take away here that the Colts will shy away from the zone scheme that Philbin was starting to mix in and go back to a more gap or man type scheme?

I know we will mix this up, but in general a lot of teams lean towards one over the other.

If we are primarily going to be more of a downhill, man/gap type scheme then it makes some sense how Jensen felt the "fit" and "scheme" in TB might better suit him.

I haven't been able to find any info as to what Reich plans to run scheme-wise other than some RPO and some tempo information. I know that DeGuglielmo is alleged to have preferred and often ran power/gap schemes in the past. So I wonder if we are going that route.

Will be interesting to see what we run and how that impacts the types of players we look to add along the OL in the draft.

He did talk about the zone scheme versus man power blocking.  One can only maybe infer what this actually might mean, though, regarding the Colts.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Yep....a lot of mystery surrounding both sides of the ball. May not know exactly what either side is going to look like until preseason. So much change happening this team won't look anything like the 2017 Colts....I guess that's good! We have ideas based off what has been ran in SD and Philly and defensively what was ran in Dallas etc but even those schemes will be modified and have some variance that these coaches feel will work best. OL, offense, defense...we are in for a lot of change. I would say in this case just by how he talked about his wife and family that might have played a bigger influence for him...but with the coaches changing here in Indy scheme certainly can't be ruled out. I just can't wait to see how all this shapes out.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2018 at 7:50 PM, GoColts8818 said:

Well that stinks. Say what you will about Grigson but he was able to close the deal. That a lone does not make him better than Ballard but Ballard’s lack of ability to close is a little concerning.

Meh...

One could also argue that Grigsons overall approach & philosophy still has a direct & negative impact on Ballards ability to "close" the deal as well. It may not be the only issue, but Grigson did not help make the Colts an attractive landing spot for free agents. So otherwise, I'm not sure what is concerning about a GM who exhibits a strict level of discipline...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Meh...

One could also argue that Grigsons overall approach & philosophy still has a direct & negative impact on Ballards ability to "close" the deal as well. It may not be the only issue, but Grigson did not help make the Colts an attractive landing spot for free agents. So otherwise, I'm not sure what is concerning about a GM who exhibits a strict level of discipline...

I am not overly worried about it.  More of an observation that rather you liked Grigson or not he was able to get the guys he wanted.  Ballard hasn’t.  Is that a bad thing?  Time will tell.  Clearly Grigson being able to land all his free agents didn’t pay off.  If Ballard drafts well and his free agents do develop no one will care but if the o-line is still a mess in a year or two and Jensen is playing well moves like this will haunt him.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Which is why a team like Indy needs to WAY OVERPAY to get their man.

I guess "team like Indy" = "bad team". 

Wrong conclusion. Jensen just said the deciding factor wasn't about money. It was the wife and the scheme in his case. So it wasn't about good vs bad team.

Sometimes there's a wife. Sometimes there's a coach. Sometimes there's a system. Sometimes there's something else. There's no rule that says "Indy has to overpay". Sometimes they have to, sometimes other teams have to.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Discipline or not, what's CONCERNING is his lack of ability to bring in talent to this team.

He doesn't lack ability.   He lacks the desire to over-pay free agents.    Once they were priced out of his comfort level, he moved on.

A year ago Ballard signed TEN (10) free agents.   Did he have the ability then?

As Ballard has noted several times...  the teams that typically win free agency do not do as well in the regular season.   He's got the stats to back that up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Discipline or not, what's CONCERNING is his lack of ability to bring in talent to this team.

Lol...

Got it, several posters are very vocal about their dislike of Ballard's approach this off season. But, it doesn't change the fact that he has been fairly clear about his approach & seems to be sticking to it. 

I just don't get the constant complaining, as it comes off as table pounding. It also seems to exhibit a lack of comprehension of what Ballard's approach & belief in team building actually are, agree with it or not...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/15/2018 at 11:25 AM, chad72 said:

3 years $24 mil. with $15 mil. guaranteed, with incentives that could put him close to $30 mil. - that should close the deal, IMO. I hope it does.

Reasonable, but that doesn't pass muster in FA...

On 3/15/2018 at 11:34 AM, 1959Colts said:

Personally, I think I'd pass on Jensen for 10 mil per year.

On 3/15/2018 at 11:40 AM, chad72 said:

I'd get him to a ceiling of $10 mil. per year with incentives with a base of $8 mil. per year maybe (3 or 4 years worth), so it might work out for all sides. The market is inflated, and we have to account for that a tad bit. 

We did pass, and it was inflated even more than that.

On 3/16/2018 at 1:40 PM, stitches said:

This might be the thing that pushes him away from the Colts. His best season has been at center and if he signs with us he's very likely going to play at guard. 

As pointed out above-

'Fit','feel', scheme, and his spouse desires were atop his decision. However, making that kind of money in a no State Income Tax state helps the bottom line for him and his agent. 

21 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Most all teams have some inside/outside zone run plays. He specifically mentioned the Bucs/Koetter were going to add more power plays and that is a preference of his... block straight up and beat your man mano-a-mano. So, does that tell us anything?  Who knows.

I also got the feel he felt Tampa roster was closer to winning than the Colts as well. This is might feeling hearing the same good info @rockywoj supplied earlier above.

Ballard will get FA's later as 'cut down time approaches, and especially when we have established an identity and culture in our locker room.  He has made it clear his direction on team building, and Irsay is apparently 'all in'.  But most forum GM's here seem to have short term coach vision rather than long term GM vision.  Clubs need a nice mix of both.  But I feel with a new rookie HC, and no veteran leadership (to speak of), we do need more of Ballard's vision/plan at this time. Frank will get more of his way soon though... I feel.

There are 432 posts in this thread.     I have NOT gone through them all.    But from what I have seen,  the following has not yet been posted....

Peter King reported a few weeks ago...   he was talking with Jensen's agent about the recruitment and offers to his client.     And his notes reflect this....     that on the first day of legal tampering,  the FIRST CALL to his office at 11a his time was from........

The Indianapolis Colts.

I'm posting this to note the point that we were serious about Jensen.     He isn't someone we turned to AFTER we were turned down by Andrew Norwell.      I'm sure we wanted Norwell first....    but with the odds that he'd go elsewhere, the Colts were very pro-active and were in early on Jensen.

I think facts are always a good thing to post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2018 at 7:19 PM, Peterk2011 said:

I guess "team like Indy" = "bad team". 

Wrong conclusion. Jensen just said the deciding factor wasn't about money. It was the wife and the scheme in his case. So it wasn't about good vs bad team.

Sometimes there's a wife. Sometimes there's a coach. Sometimes there's a system. Sometimes there's something else. There's no rule that says "Indy has to overpay". Sometimes they have to, sometimes other teams have to.

"team like Indy" doesn't necessarily mean 'bad team'. It means a team, a city, a organization or whatever that is NOT a place where players are dying to come play, live, career move etc...

Jensen wanted to sign somewhere and become the highest paid center in the NFL. The Colts already have their center in Kelly, so for him to come here he would have to play guard. No way Ballard is going to pay him top dollar at one position only to have him play another.

I was listening to the PFF Podcasts post-FA episode when they talked about Jensen. They said he had a solid PFF grade for the season, but he was really inconsistent. He would have 4 or 5 games where he looked like a top Center and others where he was so terrible he looked like he shouldn't even be on a roster. I'm glad we didn't sign him, especially for what he got.