Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can the Colts cap be rolled over into next year?

2 minutes ago, tvturner said:

They'd be about as helpful as you were there

Thanks for your super-helpful informative opinion/response!

Just now, Jdubu said:

I want to say they can roll over a certain amount but in a 3 year span, they must spend a certain % of dollars. Something like that anyways. 

I think my point has been made...

Yes...    you can roll-over your unspent salary cap.   It's not spend it or lose it.

But....

There are still lots and lots and lots if players left.   We will still sign more quality players.    The Colts are fine.   No need to worry --- yet.

If we're having this same conversation next week THEN it'll be time to be concerned....    otherwise, we're ok...

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes...    you can roll-over your unspent salary cap.   It's not spend it or lose it.

But....

There are still lots and lots and lots if players left.   We will still sign more quality players.    The Colts are fine.   No need to worry --- yet.

If we're having this same conversation next week THEN it'll be time to be concerned....    otherwise, we're ok...

Don't feed the troll.  It's a yes/no question that can be answered by Google.  There's a salary-floor and a salary-ceiling, which the OP isn't really interested in at all.  It's a "shock-thread".

This type of post is nourishment for the troll.

:troll:

1 minute ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Not all of it.  But some of it.  They have to spend 89% of the available cap the rest can be rolled over to next year. 

So roughly 64.97 million needs to be spent this year?

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But....

Plus maybe (hopefully) two first round picks this year :cheer2:

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes...   a three or four year average...

Ok, so how much do the Colts actually have to spend by league law this year based on the information you seem to know? Look I asked this as surely, and I could be wrong, I don't believe the Colts will pay out 50 plus mil give or take to a bunch of second tier FA's left. I Just don't think they will bring in anybody at this point that will command big contracts and I know some will be kept for draft signees and undrafted guys as well. So, how much theoretically can be rolled over from our original 73 million starting point?

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Ok, so how much do the Colts actually have to spend by league law this year based on the information you seem to know? Look I asked this as surely, and I could be wrong, I don't believe the Colts will pay out 50 plus mil give or take to a bunch of second tier FA's left. I Just don't think they will bring in anybody at this point that will command big contracts and I know some will be kept for draft signees and undrafted guys as well. So, how much theoretically can be rolled over from our original 73 million starting point?

I don't know the math.    No idea.

Superman knows this stuff best and I doubt if he knows where the Colts are on the rolling average...   that's some serious NFL detailed material...

Sorry,  I can't help you.....

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Superman knows this stuff best and I doubt if he knows where the Colts are on the rolling average...   that's some serious NFL detailed material...

No worries

34 minutes ago, Indeee said:

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I may be wrong... it happens from time to time, and I proved that point earlier in this thread by being a *.  (Sorry @Indeee  I thought this was another of your freak-out threads, but this was a really good thread and I'm sorry I derailed it)

But I believe we have to spend at least $158 Mil of the $177 Salary Cap.

I think we have like $110 Mil on the books already, so we have to spend at least $48 Mil.  (as of now)

Hope that helps, sorry if I took the *approach to get there.  :sorry:

If @Superman or anyone can elaborate, it would be much appreciated.  :thmup:

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I may be wrong... it happens from time to time, and I proved that point earlier in this thread by being a *.  (Sorry @Indeee  I thought this was another of your freak-out threads, but this was a really good thread and I'm sorry I derailed it)

But I believe we have to spend at least $158 Mil of the $177 Salary Cap.

I think we have like $110 Mil on the books already, so we have to spend at least $48 Mil.  (as of now)

Hope that helps, sorry if I took the *approach to get there.  :sorry:

No worries Lucky, I do freak out sometimes especially on the O-line or lack there of. At this point, even though I don't understand the plan regarding the O-line, it just is what it is so.... I guess we will all see where the money we have to spend goes from here and hope for the best

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Thanks for your super-helpful informative opinion/response!

I think my point has been made...

No, you tried to be a holier than-thou trolly *..... they immediately called you out for it, and it was damn funny..... no need for lame responses, pick up your un-saved face, and go sit in time out.... lmao....... J/P man

21 minutes ago, Indeee said:

No worries Lucky, I do freak out sometimes especially on the O-line or lack there of. At this point, even though I don't understand the plan regarding the O-line, it just is what it is so.... I guess we will all see where the money we have to spend goes from here and hope for the best

Starting to believe the oline plan may very well be, AC, mewhort is healthy?  but still unsigned...... Kelly, trade down and draft Nelson, RT?

20 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

No, you tried to be a holier than-thou trolly *..... they immediately called you out for it, and it was damn funny..... no need for lame responses, pick up your un-saved face, and go sit in time out.... lmao....... J/P man

I know.  :facepalm: 

I've found that a big helping of crow once in a while is healthy for the soul.

I couldn't tell you if my soul is starving or well-fed, but I know when I've put my foot in my mouth...  haha

foot-in-mouth-header.jpg

We have to spend 89% of our cap over a 4 year period. All the unspent money is rolled over to the next year. If we don’t spend 89% over 4 years then the excess amount doesn’t rollover and has to be redistributed among the players and coaches kinda like a bonus. So if we don’t meet the 89% then we kinda just wasted the money and Irsay still has to pay it up. I’m not sure where we are currently sitting though. 

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Don't feed the troll.  It's a yes/no question that can be answered by Google.  There's a salary-floor and a salary-ceiling, which the OP isn't really interested in at all.  It's a "shock-thread".

This type of post is nourishment for the troll.

:troll:

I come here because i dont want to waste time scouring the internet for stuff i should be able to get answered here.  I thought that is what the OP was doing. I've seen this topic addressed before.  Someone around here should know the answer.

Sheesh , the stress of FA has us turning on EACH OTHER!

EDIT: Ok, i just noticed who the OP is.  Makes more sense now.

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

If @Superman or anyone can elaborate, it would be much appreciated.  :thmup:

Just to give some detail...

It's not a year to year requirement, it's a total requirement over a four year period. The CBA required each team to spend in cash 89% of the aggregate NFL salary cap over two four year periods: 2013 - 2016, and 2017 - 2020. In cash, not cap dollars. 

So if the NFL salary cap goes $167m, $177m, $187m, $197m over this four year period, for a total of $728m, each team has to spend, in cash, a total of $648m for those four years. Again, not a yearly requirement.

And at the end of the four year period, if any team hasn't met the 89% threshold, the harsh, punitive fee is -- wait for it -- that team has to pay the difference to the NFLPA. So if your team has only spent $640m in cash, you have to cut an $8m check to the union, to be distributed between the players who were on your roster during that four year period. I'm not sure exactly how the money gets divvied up, but I'm sure there's some ridiculous formula the NFLPA will come up with if ever a team doesn't hit the threshold.

Long story short, there's no strict salary floor. And yes, the Colts could technically roll forward however much unused cap space they went into next season, and the season after that. No one knows what happens after this CBA expires in 2020, which is just around the corner, but for now, no team *has* to spend any amount of money.