Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mingo to Seattle (Merge)

Shive

Just because Ballard didn't over pay for free agents he is all of a sudden a bad GM and don't know what he is doing.

It's amazing how the doom and gloom crowd figure a way to whine and cry.

No one over priced player is all of a sudden make this roster a winner but don't let that get in the way of looking for any reason to jump on the negative band wagon.

Ballard said before this free agent time started he wasn't going to over spend and he hasn't.

Too many are worrying about a free agent player or two.when that is the least of the Colts problems.

The more pressing problem is a whole new coaching staff. Free agents are small potatoes compared to the bigger issue.

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I've gone through all the lists....   there is plenty of talent left.   Plenty.

And most of the difference makers and game changers will come in the draft.

You're not building the team in free agency.   You're filling gaps and plugging holes.   The real difference makers in free agency cost too much and often don't give you enough bang for the buck.

That's why Ballard made the comment about not spending premium money on guys who are not really premium players.   In FA guys get over paid.   Ballard is trying to avoid that if he can.

There are still plenty of players left to buy...   let's see what happens in the next 5-7 days..

Trying to explaining that to those who have a mindset of negativity does no good.

We didn't over spend on free agents so that automatically makes Ballard stupid and a bad GM.

What it boils down to is some wanted these high priced free agents signed and when they weren't the ones who wanted them signed get the attitude they know better than Ballard. In turn they revert to calling him stupid because they have nothing else better to do but draw attention to themselves.

10 hours ago, Flash7 said:

I'm curious as well. Ballard signed Mingo, a young player with potential. He performed decently, then Ballard does not re-sign him, Yet, this process is called a re-build. I'm not sure how we can rebuild if we aren't retaining these young guys and allowing them to develop. 

Same goes for Desir and Melvin. They performed well and in return, the are allowed to test the FA market. We're not rebuilding, just reshuffling guys at the moment. 

Ballard had to find like 10+ starters for last year, because the roster he took was atrocious. He had to find starting OLB-s and also backups, because there were simply no OLB's on the roster. He brought in Sheard and Simon as starters, and acquired Mingo as cheap dollar backup. Simon went down, and Mingo played admirably in his place. But now, the Colts will change to 4-3. SImon seems to be a good fit at SLB, but Mingo doesn't. He is not a 4-3 LB.

But he apparently did enough in Indy to convince Carroll to give him a chance. Good for him. Honestly, I have no clue how they plan to use him. We will see.

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

How much talent you think is left in FA? 

Yeah enough to fill the roster BUT how many difference makers, game changers. Enough to narrow gap in the talent our division rivals have over us?

The gap from a talent standpoint, which already was significant will be wider when September comes around.

The talent pool of free agency hasn’t been depleted, nor completed... yet.  Remember, there are teams that are signing players and will need room for their draft and injuries.  I can assure you Ballard and the Colts pro player director know every potential ‘cap casualty’ of every team, and everything about them and what it might cost to land them.  From here until (especially) close to draft time, there will be players released and Ballard will be in a position to immediately act on those they feel ‘fit’. Because he and the Pro Player personnel director have already combed the other team rosters and know who is likely to be squeezed out and have prepared for such occurrences. And as it happens, they’ll be ready to act by having done this preparation. The only issue? (As I see it) His competition.  Bill Belichick.  BB is a master at this.  BB’s binder is in his head. And there will be a couple other team GM’s prepared to do the same thing.

I’m interested to see how this scenario plays out. The whole scenario, not just the initial FA fiscal frenzy.

I wanted them to keep Mingo. It seemed like he had some wheels.

But when decisions are made by those who are in charge (and a lot more knowledgeable and privy to information we aren’t), ask myself; “what am I missing”? 

Apparently, Mingo doesn’t fit their vision/scheme OR they feel they can replace him with players they already have, FAs or the draft.

10 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

No excuse not to bring back Mingo.

This is really pathetic!!! Ballard is not impressing me at all...I thought Mingo was a bright spot on defense with a ton of potential...So far we are getting worse this offseason...Instead of filling holes we are creating more holes...It doesn't make any sense...I have never been more disappointed as a fan..All these people saying trust the binder are killing me..lol..So all these other GM's who are paying market value must not know what they are doing I guess...It looks like a tank job to me...

7 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

What happened to "competition at all positions"? 

I guess that only applies if said competition plays for vet minimum. 

haha

I think Mingo would be resigned if Simon wasn't here.  It was a choice.  CB will probably look to draft a developmental guy to sit on the bench instead of paying Mingo to do it.

3 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

This is really pathetic!!! Ballard is not impressing me at all...I thought Mingo was a bright spot on defense with a ton of potential...So far we are getting worse this offseason...Instead of filling holes we are creating more holes...It doesn't make any sense...I have never been more disappointed as a fan..All these people saying trust the binder are killing me..lol..So all these other GM's who are paying market value must not know what they are doing I guess...It looks like a tank job to me...

^^^^^this^^^^^

I think I am in a very small minority here, but I love what Ballard has done so far. He has not OVERPAID for one guy yet. I would have loved to of had McKinnon, but not at that price. Either George or Grace can step in for Mingo. Hopefully he will be able to bring back Melvin. Did anyone see what Robinson got from the Saints, in 2016 Robinson did nothing here.