Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Long rebuild ahead

BProland85

With what is looking like a multiyear rebuilding process in which Ballard has to build back up what Grigson tore down, would it be smart to trade Luck while he still has great value, since by the time this team is ready to compete for championships, Luck will be in his 30s? I know I know it's blasphemy to discuss trading Luck, but if we're a few years from even competing for contention, why not entertain it?

I think I heard Grady and Big Joe mentioning this to Mike Wells in the sense that Luck is not getting any younger. 

10 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

With what is looking like a multiyear rebuilding process in which Ballard has to build back up what Grigson tore down, would it be smart to trade Luck while he still has great value, since by the time this team is ready to compete for championships, Luck will be in his 30s? I know I know it's blasphemy to discuss trading Luck, but if we're a few years from even competing for contention, why not entertain it?

I think I heard Grady and Big Joe mentioning this to Mike Wells in the sense that Luck is not getting any younger. 

Bro dont ever mention Luck your dumb saying that we dont have rebuild all we need some better o-line, RB, LBS and someone to play opposite of quincy wilson and some weapons for luck

17 minutes ago, Indy1996 said:

Bro dont ever mention Luck your dumb saying that we dont have rebuild all we need some better o-line, RB, LBS and someone to play opposite of quincy wilson and some weapons for luck

"All we need". By my knowledge, that's most of the team.

From Mike Singletary to Jim Harbaugh the 49ers went, with essentially the same roster and  went to the NFCCG.

Cam Newton and the Panthers, weren’t they a year removed from 1-15 with maybe Josh Norman added before they made the SB?

Things have happened before that lot of folks didn’t see coming, just saying.

There were at least 10 or so games where the Colts had second half leads this past season - all without Luck and with inept in-game coaching.

Yes, I think there is much work to be done still, but I don't think it's as much as people are assuming. 

I have always been a firm believer that any bad team can turn it around with a 3 year rebuild. Technically speaking, if we were rebuilding, this is year 2. Last year it was transitioning from the old roster Grigson left Ballard. This year we're getting more young talent and have the 3rd overall pick. We may or may not make the playoffs depending on how well Luck plays and how much growth some of last years (and this years) draft picks show. I could very easily see the Colts competing for the division this year and then next year and beyond supplementing themselves as a contender. Of course long way away, but not so long that they should trade Luck. He's going to be 29 this fall, and for QBs, that's not that old.

28 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

You’re telling me those championship winning Patriots and Colts team from the last decade were solidified with talent in all positions? We have a good QB and plenty of other talent. Sky is the limit IMO. 

Yes but even those teams took time to build.  It pretty much took 98-2003.  Yes they were a playoff team in there a couple of times but they were clearly regressing until the 2003 season when they really took off and became the Colts we knew from 2003-2010 where they were a Super Bowl contender year in and out.

18 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I have always been a firm believer that any bad team can turn it around with a 3 year rebuild. Technically speaking, if we were rebuilding, this is year 2. Last year it was transitioning from the old roster Grigson left Ballard. This year we're getting more young talent and have the 3rd overall pick. We may or may not make the playoffs depending on how well Luck plays and how much growth some of last years (and this years) draft picks show. I could very easily see the Colts competing for the division this year and then next year and beyond supplementing themselves as a contender. Of course long way away, but not so long that they should trade Luck. He's going to be 29 this fall, and for QBs, that's not that old.

Good post....bust mostly wanted to say, nice sig. 

35 minutes ago, chad72 said:

From Mike Singletary to Jim Harbaugh the 49ers went, with essentially the same roster and  went to the NFCCG.

Cam Newton and the Panthers, weren’t they a year removed from 1-15 with maybe Josh Norman added before they made the SB?

Things have happened before that lot of folks didn’t see coming, just saying.

THIS!!! A change in coaching and scheme can do wonders for a team. You could have 3 or 4 players with pro-bowl level talent that play terribly because they're being misused or poorly coached. With the change in scheme, we may have guys that didn't exactly fit the old scheme that are perfect for the new one.

Trust the process, especially because no matter how outraged we get, it doesn't change anything..

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

As long as CB in the GM...we will be rebuilding for years to come. At least Aprils will be exciting.

52 minutes ago, Pelt said:

There were at least 10 or so games where the Colts had second half leads this past season - all without Luck and with inept in-game coaching.

Yes, I think there is much work to be done still, but I don't think it's as much as people are assuming. 

That's not really impressive. Most games are back and forth to some extent and I would bet at least 25 teams had 10 games where they were in the lead in the second half at some point. That's just normal. It's about if you can win a game, not be competitive. Pretty much every team is at least competitive to some extent.

1 minute ago, B~Town said:

Even after a rebuild Luck should have many good years left no reason to freak out and trade one of the best QBs in the league .

The only year Luck was one of the best QBs in the league was 2014. His body has acquired lots of injuries since then, and he has also aged 4 years. A trade for three 1st round picks would probably be worth it at this point. We can't protect Luck either and the team is barren of talent, so I don't see how we win another SB before he retires or his contract runs out.

If Brady and Brees can play til 40, I think Luck can play till at least 35, like Big Ben who has managed to get to 35 despite the plethora of injuries he has had to endure. Luck is 27, folks and he has a solid 8 years in the tank, I feel even if he survives just like Big Ben.

To me, Big Ben is the best comparison for Andrew Luck in terms of early injuries in his career. 

1 hour ago, Indy1996 said:

All in one draft! Too easy!

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If Brady and Brees can play til 40, I think Luck can play till at least 35, like Big Ben who has managed to get to 35 despite the plethora of injuries he has had to endure. Luck is 27, folks and he has a solid 8 years in the tank, I feel even if he survives just like Big Ben.

Luck is 28, and he'll be 29 in the fall. His body is also very beat up. There's no guarantee he'll even play again yet.

Don't waste posts..... this is stupid

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Luck is 28, and he'll be 29 in fall. His body is also very beat up. There's no guarantee he'll even play again yet.

Big Ben's fortunes starting turning around once they brought Todd Haley as OC extending his longevity with quick releases and hoping Reich and his OC can do the same. There is a level of assumption on my part.

Glass half full or glass half empty. Glass half full till Luck does not play game 1, I guess. :) 

Just now, chad72 said:

Big Ben's fortunes starting turning around once they brought Todd Haley as OC extending his longevity with quick releases and hoping Reich and his OC can do the same. There is a level of assumption on my part.

Glass half full or glass half empty. Glass half full till Luck does not play game 1, I guess. :) 

Well, even if Luck does play, the O-Line is awful and we better do something about it quickly or Luck's career is in danger.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, even if Luck does play, the O-Line is awful and we better do something about it quickly or Luck's career is in danger.

Colts GMs really should have 1 priority: Build the O-line.

Then worry about the rest of the team. For the Colts who have had bad O-lines for so long, this really should be the #1 priority. And I am amazed that nothing tangible has been done. Sure they've tried with Schwenke's, and Vujnovich's and others, but they've all been bargain basement attempts. 

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Luck is not going anywhere. :) 

I have a feeling it will not be a long rebuilding process.

With a healthy Luck, I think we will compete for the division this year.

Lots of off-season left to go. 

Yeah, but we need some O-lineman and a WR and a bunch of other things before Luck will do any good. 

36 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's not really impressive. Most games are back and forth to some extent and I would bet at least 25 teams had 10 games where they were in the lead in the second half at some point. That's just normal. It's about if you can win a game, not be competitive. Pretty much every team is at least competitive to some extent.

Being impressed isn't my point. 

My point is that I believe many of those games were probably wins with Luck out there and somebody other than Pagano on the sidelines. 

With (hopefully) a completely healthy Luck back and a much better coaching staff, I think we're closer than many people think.

44 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Luck and coaching will be a factor in that regard. 

3 minutes ago, Pelt said:

Being impressed isn't my point. 

My point is that I believe many of those games were probably wins with Luck out there and somebody other than Pagano on the sidelines. 

With (hopefully) a completely healthy Luck back and a much better coaching staff, I think we're closer than many people think.

Yeah, despite what Polian says.