Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Merge] Colts Sign Denico Autry

Virtuoso80

35 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I think it's a good deal, underrated guy. Raiders fans giving him nothing but praise.

I think they are about to blow their stack over this. LOL

There are some 4-letter bombs being thrown around...... :D 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Chris Ballard has preached competition since day one. So if Basham doesn’t get his shot, it’s cause he didn’t earn his shot 

Chuck Pagano isn’t here anymore to keep the superior player on the bench just cause they don’t practice hard enough for him :)

You compete in practice how about win the job there!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I read he will be playing DE opposite Sheard.   If this isn't a typical Ballard signing I don't know what is.  No one saw this coming and he looks very promising.  And he's the very first signing.  Expecting more of the same kind of profiling in our future signing. 

Raiders fans are very upset they lost him so that is saying something. I knew who he was but haven't watched him play much. He had 5 Sacks last season and is only 27, so this looks like a pretty good signing.

7 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Do we really need DL? We currently have Stewart, Woods, Hankins, Mbu, Anderson, Hunt, Sherad, and Basham, Now that I see this, hum maybe we did need a DE, maybe and indictment of Basham, or that we are not drafting Chubb & moving down in the draft?

This guy is an interior pass rusher. Hes a DT, so this doesnt effect Basham. I'm suspecting Mbu definitely wont be here. Hunt didnt show much in the Bengals 4-3 and there's one or two other guys on the DL this could effect.

19 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Has the coaching staff mentioned their plan for Simon?  I had been assuming he'd play opposite Sheard.

I don't think so but looking at the defenses they're trying to emulate (Dallas, Seattle) I'd say Simon likely plays the SAM LB.  My prediction for the starting DL in the Base defense prior to any further FA pickups and the draft is:

Anderson/Ridgeway - Woods - Hankins - Sheard

• Like 1

1 minute ago, krunk said:

This guy is an interior pass rusher. Hes a DT, so this doesnt effect Basham. I'm suspecting Mbu definitely wont be here. Hunt didnt show much in the Bengals 4-3 and there's one or two other guys on the DL this could effect.

I think Stewart might make a heck of a DT with his quickness, gotya on Hunt feel the same, Mbu, could surprise IMO moves well for a big guy?

12 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I think Stewart might make a heck of a DT with his quickness, gotya on Hunt feel the same, Mbu, could surprise IMO moves well for a big guy?

Mbu is a 3-4 Nose. We've got plenty of those. Stewart has enough quicks to do either thing on the interior, but for now more likely a reserve 4-3 nose.

9 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I agree.

However, this signing does give us an indication that Ballard likes Marcus Davenport type of builds at DE. 

Could be...or it could be that the Colts are looking to utilize more undersized DTs. Seems like this guy could be in the mold of a Tyrone Crawford (Cowboys) or Israel Idonije (Bears).

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Could be...or it could be that the Colts are looking to utilize more undersized DTs. Seems like this guy could be in the mold of a Tyrone Crawford (Cowboys) or Israel Idonije (Bears).

Anything is possible but a 6'6" 265/270ish player needs to predominantly play on the end.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

Does anyone know the full list of player announcements for FA since the 4pm hour hit?  We could have gotten offensive tackle Andre Smith from Cincy for 4 mill. per year.  another one bites the dust.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-team-by-team-tracker-with-solder-hyde-mckinnon-and-more-signings/

also a good one

47 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Well prior to the draft I saw Basham as exclusively a 4-3 DE so I was looking forward to seeing how he did.  This can only limit his opportunities.  Again, not really complaining, more of a personal thing.

why would it limit his opportunities?  you do know it's plural, Defensive ENDS, right?  and you also need at least 2 backups.....

You can't watch it here but you can just click on the title/bring it up through Youtube and it'll play.

It's only several plays spread out over a couple minutes but it's nice to get a feel for the guy. He looks tall/long, gets those hands up for deflections, seems disruptive/fights through contact.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Kris Benton said:

So does this signing mean we don't take Chubb if he's available? Do we take Barkley if he's there or trade back?

I’m betting that we are trading back and taking a lb’er and then maybe a tackle or Nelson if he were available by some odd miracle. If Ballard likes the pick, who am I to argue with his choices until we start seeing a pattern of bad picks or something coming from CB. I’m giving him the benefit of doubt this season to see what last year and this year brings to the table. After this season, he officially has a track record to start judging by 

37 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I agree.

However, this signing does give us an indication that Ballard likes Marcus Davenport type of builds at DE. 

Not necessarily. Look at the depth charts for Seattle and Dallas. They use different types of players at LDE and RDE. Autry could fit at one DE position but not the other.the LDE will most likely be substantially larger than the RDE. 

1 hour ago, bananabucket said:

No idea who this is but I'll give him a chance.  But honestly I'd rather just see how Basham does in the 4-3 than sign some guy none of us have heard of.

This guy played at 3-4 DE last year for the Raiders, which is a bit strange, because he kinda like Sheard (275 pound), a bit taller. I'd assume that such a tweener would play as OLB in 3-4 rather than DE, but I don't know the Raiders system.

Anyway, think of a bit taller Sheard or a skinnier Anderson, and you have an idea. He did pretty well for a such undersized 3-4 DE. His 6 sacks and cca 30 pressures from the inside was more than Andersons's + Hankins's combined. And Anderson and Hankins actualyl played pretty well.

I have a feeling that this guy might be another sneaky under the radar pretty good signing. Like Simon or Sheard were last year. Not a Freeney, but quite good. We now have 3 DE's in Sheard, Autry and Basham for early downs / balanced front.

(Btw, I think this means we can say good bye to #3 pick and Chubb. Ballard is preparing for the Bills trade, so let's start looking for potential Colts fits at 1/12 and 1/21.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, J@son said:

Not necessarily. Look at the depth charts for Seattle and Dallas. They use different types of players at LDE and RDE. Autry could fit at one DE position but not the other.the LDE will most likely be substantially larger than the RDE. 

Ballard signed a guy with a similar build to Davenport to play DE in our 4-3.. 

There is no reading between the lines about that. It doesn't mean we will draft Davenport or have any intentions to. It just means we like that kind of size at the position. 

1 hour ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Do we really need DL? We currently have Stewart, Woods, Hankins, Mbu, Anderson, Hunt, Sherad, and Basham, Now that I see this, hum maybe we did need a DE, maybe and indictment of Basham, or that we are not drafting Chubb & moving down in the draft?

We need pass rushers. Even if the plan is to get Chubb, he's only one guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

I think they are about to blow their stack over this. LOL

There are some 4-letter bombs being thrown around...... :D 

C'mon. It's Raiders fans. They could be writing a note in a mother's day card and the 4 letter bombs would still be thrown around. :)

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

So almost $6 Million a year. Looking at other signings, think I would have rather spent $8 million/year on someone who was a starter on another team at least.

Only $6.5mil is guaranteed, so I'm not sweating the dollars and cents on this one. And John Simon wasn't a starter for Houston before Ballard brought him over, and that worked out just fine.